Page 112 of 167 FirstFirst ... 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 ... LastLast
Results 2,776 to 2,800 of 4154
    Cool fellas, Sound Advice. I guess the interesting part is that even on the few rides I've been on I don't think we're that cautious about keeping everybody really close but tree Wells holes bevers etcetera are out there...

Quote Originally Posted by cycology1 View Post
    Cool fellas, Sound Advice. I guess the interesting part is that even on the few rides I've been on I don't think we're that cautious about keeping everybody really close but tree Wells holes bevers etcetera are out there...
    Even the best go down without a watchful eye and parter.

Ski doo pro rider drowned in 1 inch of water early this winter in revy area. Nobody is invincible. Snowmobile drowning is more common then u think and it’s not in a lake or river... it’s hard to lift a 500lb sled off u when ur pinned, or manoeuvre out of a bottomless fresh blown in hole on ur own, or squirm out of a tree well u ejected into without a partner.

Here is a link to a local incident that I just read about. It sounds like quite the lucky dude. https://www.kpq.com/airlift-rescue-o...a3wCyvPcabCCjo

If I'm out with only one sled, I have skis and skins 100% of the time.

damn...he was stuck THEN broke his leg while digging it out. maybe a social sport after all. thanks for info!

Quote Originally Posted by teamdirt View Post
    Keep in mind,anything can go wrong, sled can pin u down, u can fall in a creek, u can step into a hole, u can get bucked into a tree well, just to name A few scenarios. These are all common scenarios where u need someone to help u immediately. No partner means, no rescue= u die. Been there done that. Don’t ride alone- always keep ur partners insight!! If Shit hits the fan u only have minutes at best to save someone or resistate someone.
    Been sled skiing the mtns since 1996- this is strong advice from someone very experienced in sledding and skiing- Don’t ride alone- shit can go wrong quick when u have a throttle.
    Sorry about your friend. Nothing changes your life choices like witnessing a close one succumbing to living life well.
    Sledding carries risk, just like solo mtn biking, bc skiing, paddling, etc...
    We are all terrible at assessing such risk, but everyone has different tolerances.
    Proven that in winter activities that the pros are more likely to get into deadly trouble than novices, but that margin is slim.
    All the winter call-outs and recoveries I have attended have been where there was a group, except for the lone hiker screwing around the base of a frozen waterfall; travelling in a group is no guarantee of rescue, only a relatively timely recovery.
    Going solo is an individual’s choice. I appreciate my freedom, but then I’ve worked and played in the northern winters my entire life. And I’ve been very fortunate to gain wisdom from experience, without the dire cost. But relying on luck sucks from the front end, no doubt.

it's crazy how easy we can get into questionable terrain on these things. even what I thought would be a fairly tame afternoon ride up the north fork off tiger road outside of Breck today yielded some sketch terrain...being new I said I would stay away from run out zones but it's a lot easier said than done! its deep tho for sure! BC skiing seems easier to manage terrain since u seem to have more time to think about what u are approaching, or I just need to build better habits.

definitely switching to my jetforce bag and adding a bit more rescue gear in the tunnel bag.

Yeah , covering ground makes for alot more decisions on a sled vs ski touring. Same principles apply though. Look around, see what's happening, use your trench to assess snow pack, don't be scared to step off and assess. If solo stay away from all creeks and big rocks.

And have fun!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Even the best go down without a watchful eye and parter.

Ski doo pro rider drowned in 1 inch of water early this winter in revy area. Nobody is invincible. Snowmobile drowning is more common then u think and it’s not in a lake or river... it’s hard to lift a 500lb sled off u when ur pinned, or manoeuvre out of a bottomless fresh blown in hole on ur own, or squirm out of a tree well u ejected into without a partner.
    Rode past him about 10 minutes before he passed. Snow was tracked out, close to cabin and he was guiding a group. Never thought that would happen to him on Queest with a tour group early season.

Another local pro rider had his sled pin him in a creek last year here as well with same result.

Would never go alone. Too much shit can go wrong.
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

Good times were had here

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

RE: riding alone

I do it frequently but with a few caveats. I always have either my skis or some snowshoes. I stay relatively close to my truck and uphill of it. Stay on the side of the hill with cell phone coverage. And use a tether. I also ride very differently. Mostly stick to breaking in roads or nearby them.

It's a little different in most of the places I've been in western Canada. 5-10 mile approaches before even getting to riding areas. No. I would not do that alone.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

I think a lot of you that ride alone are missing the point we are trying to make, thinking your biggest worry is staying out of avalanche terrain or your sled breaking down and it will be a survival situation trying to get out so if you pack your skis, skins, snow shoes and whatever you think your good.

Reality is your biggest worry should be if you get bucked off your sled into a treewell or hole, get pinned against a tree or rock after hitting a rut, fall in a creek u didnt see or get pinned under your sled when it rolls on you etc. You can die within minutes from asphyxiation and hypothermia from any of countless events that happen from riding snowmobiles. Even the best get in situations where they can die- IE: Ski Doo Pro rider drowning in a creek with 1 inch of water back in Nov. of this year. Even if you are on a road, 2 minutes from your truck or have cell coverage with no immediate rescuers you are f"d

Unfortunately non avalanche related snow deaths and snow immersion suffocations are becoming a more and more common occurrences each and every year with people using snowmobiles....

Don't ride alone...

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/snowmobile...215147190.html

https://www.revelstokemountaineer.co...ling-fatality/
    Last edited by teamdirt; 02-25-2019 at 02:27 PM.

One more solo death from the other day

https://kdvr.com/2019/02/24/craig-ma...ng-near-yampa/

I think a lot of you that ride alone are missing the point we are trying to make, thinking your biggest worry is staying out of avalanche terrain or your sled breaking down and it will be a survival situation trying to get out so if you pack your skis, skins, snow shoes and whatever you think your good.

Reality is your biggest worry should be if you get bucked off your sled into a treewell or hole, get pinned against a tree or rock after hitting a rut, fall in a creek u didnt see or get pinned under your sled when it rolls on you etc. You can die within minutes from asphyxiation and hypothermia from any of countless events that happen from riding snowmobiles. Even the best get in situations where they can die- IE: Ski Doo Pro rider drowning in a creek with 1 inch of water back in Nov. of this year. Even if you are on a road, 2 minutes from your truck or have cell coverage with no immediate rescuers you are f"d

Unfortunately non avalanche related snow deaths and snow immersion suffocations are becoming a more and more common occurrences each and every year with people using snowmobiles....

Don't ride alone...

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/snowmobile...215147190.html

https://www.revelstokemountaineer.co...ling-fatality/
    The stats don't agree with you. Science says you'll probably be fine.

Serious question:

When brapping w/pals how many of you stay close enough together to be able to save the day in a "minutes to live situation" anyways? Do you really have eyes on constantly?

Unless it's on the way in or out when peeps generally stay pretty tight, I think it's unrealistic to expect help within minutes at any given moment.

Lots of times I can see my whole crew, lots of times I can't (trees, one micro zone over, etc.). My general MO is to check in every 5min or so. I don't brap alone, but IMO the capabilities of sleds (go far, fast!) and frequencies of stucks makes a quick asphixiation situation seem pretty hopeless regardless of whether or not you're riding alone.

Yeah it could happen. Personal responsibility trumps all.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Yeah it could happen. Personal responsibility trumps all.
    Situational awareness trumps all.

wow. sled pinning riders down seems to be a thing? thought like w dirt bikes, when bailing, push the bike or sled away? I guess easier said than done?

yeah, minutes to respond can't happen...from my BC skiing days.

last week a buddy was just behind me heading back to truck, I stayed on packed trail and he went to play in drainage paralleling my route. looked back, he was gone. trail was to narrow to turn y sled around, so I post holed a couple hundred yards back, heard him trying to get unstuck...I had to crawl to get to his sled to help him dig out 75 yards (maybe a bit more?)

other than him not going off trail or staying immediately within sight of each other, there would have been nothing I could have done. no way i could have pulled him from tree well in time unless i followed him and then so deep probably not even then..and i consider myself fit. it was chest deep.

so personal responsibility or as others said, situational awareness. this situation seems like something that could happen every ride...

maybe like skiing breck on a holiday weekend, odds are u won't get hit but u never know?

kick arse sport tho!

hey mags - I have an XM 800 summit X with e-start.

Issue is that the shaft with the gear on the starter motor sometimes doesn't extend to engage the gear ring on a start attempt and just free spins; or sometimes it extends but not fully (not a great sound); or sometimes it extends and starts, but then doesn't fully retract.
    And sometimes it just works fine, although less and less often.

Another situation when I'm just braapin around is that it extends slightly to just touch the ring and make a clatter (usually just arount 6500rpm).

Any easy fix for this? somebody mentioned just lubing the shaft with a tiny bit of oil, but I can't figure out the best way to get in there. Or if I shouldn't be using grease instead. Don't want to have to get a new starter motor or pull it out. I've just been pull starting lately which works fine, but I've got the damn e-start so I want to be able to use it.

cheers

I would just pull the starter and try to diagnose. Something sounds out of alignment.

do sled starter motors wear out like car starters?

I remember reading about that issue on early XMs, on SnoWest or Dootalk, can't remember (prob both). I think there is a spring that needs replacing. Maybe more. Search on there and you should find the answer pretty easily. Wealth of knowledge on older Doos.

Judo I've had the same issue. My starter bendix tore up my ring gear pretty bad so I had to swap in a new ring gear.

I believe if you take a look on Dootalk you should be able to find some references to swapping in a new stronger starter spring that is made by a guy named Eddie. I did that this fall and it stopped the bendix from walking out at higher rpms. My e start has still been out of commission because I still need to put a new bendix gear as well but I didn't want to mess with that mid winter.

It may be doable to install the new spring with the clutch on, but it's a helluva lot easier to swap without the clutch in the way.

Also order a spare ring/circlip that holds the starter spring on. Those are an absolute motherfucker to get off the starter without mangling it.

Pro tip is that you can also cut it in half when you replace it. That'll make more sense when you are taking a closer look at it while getting it off the starter.

Shoot me a PM if you've got questions and I can let you know what I learned from my fuckups.
    Last edited by John_B; 02-25-2019 at 11:22 PM.

wow! fucking sick. thanks mags for the quick replies.
    Did some googling and defo sounds like the bendix gear/spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Judo Chop! View Post
    wow! fucking sick. thanks mags for the quick replies.
    Did some googling and defo sounds like the bendix gear/spring.
    No problem. I'm just jazzed that I actually know how to fix a problem with someone else's snowmobile. If the starter isn't engaging all of the time I'd guess that is due to how much damage there is to the ring gear on the back of your clutch.

The 6 bolts on the ring gear are held on with very very strong loctite. I'd read that heat and an impact driver should be enough to break those bolts loose but I wasn't able to get any of mine to budge. I fortunately also have an 08 skidoo without e start so was able to just swap the clutch and new ring gear from one machine to the other. Good luck with those bolts, I broke a couple Torx bits in my failed attempt to break them loose.