Page 106 of 167 FirstFirst ... 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 ... LastLast
Results 2,626 to 2,650 of 4154
    Quote Originally Posted by skibum193 View Post
    Appreciate the last few responses, thanks guys! We will be doubling a decent amount, but pretty mellow on the sled necking side of things. Didn't seem like the OEM one was super solid, so will probably skip it for now. With a $500 insurance deductible going for a $1000 ski plate doesn't quite pencil other than time lost on the machine if we tag a big rock.
    You'll be doubling until you realize what that sled can do.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

5 pulls and running after 6 months of resting. Good old work horse Now some more snow please! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181201_144836.jpeg 
Views:	91 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	258026

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using TGR Forums mobile app

The first outing of the season went great for me too, both started and ran on two or three pulls! I couldn’t believe it... but I didn’t question it

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

Still waiting for snow here. Wintering in Kimberley this year and it is a slow start. Although it doesn’t seem much better in Whistler. Once things get rolling will need to hookup with some new people to ride as well as ski. Will be riding here, near Creston and probably Fernie area. Might trip down to Montana as well.

Gotta get high to find snow

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-snowmobile/c...ationFlag=true

awesome sled skiing unit. Wider running boards and heavy duty welds throughout. Top of the line KYB piggyback shocks thru out for you and your tandem buddys fat arse.

Quote Originally Posted by shafty85 View Post
    While the amounts of snow required to sled appear to be eons away still in this neck of the woods, I'm prepping for the season of sledding. I bought a Pilot DS-2 ski to kit to replace my thrashed DS6.9 stock skis on my 08 Summit 800. A few things I learned and a few questions.

1. Installing the ski loops with a c-clamp sucks. Is there a better way to do this? Tried using a threaded rod through the inserts and nut and washer on both ends and tightening. Worked a tad, but then the rod snapped under the tension. Installing both inserts at the same time with a c-clamp sucks more than installing one at a time with a c-clamp.

2. The existing axle ski appears to be too short to sit flush against the bushings on both skis, both for the existing and current skis. There's a washer (well, actually only 3/4 of a washer is left for whatever reason, apparently ~1/4 of the washer broke away on both skis) acting as an additional spacer.
    Attachment 257194
    The 3/4 washer was between the spacer (part 14) and the leg (part 12). The kit comes with only a new nylon nut, skis, loops and carbides. As far as I can tell, the assembly should be (from R->L): bolt->washer->ski->leg & axle flush to ski-> spacer -> ski flush to spacer -> nut. It's my belief that parts 2 & 13 (cushions) are part of the ski bushings as I don't see how else they would fit from the schematic, but maybe I'm wrong.

ETA: this is what photos of the cushions look like from amazon, which specifies it as a bushing cushion and looks like the bushings on the ski.

Attachment 257204

This is a photo of the finacee's skis. Mine looked the same except for the 3/4 remaining washer acting as a spacer between the specified spacer and axle on both skis. On one side I had to chisel the damn washer off.

Attachment 257199

This photo shows the gap (on the lookers right side of the ski) between bushing and axle in the new assembly.

Attachment 257200

Anyways, I'm hopeful the shop will have an answer for me but it's not local and I only am able to easily pop in when work takes me up that way during the day. I need at least one new axle and spacer regardless as one set has rusted/fused together and no amount of penetrant has had any effect. Hitting it with a hammer and chisel has only served to damage the parts. Am I missing some parts? Skidoo says that this ski goes with the XP... Presumably this gap is no bueno as a) I don't want my skis to be able to move L/R independent of the arms and b) to maintain lubrication keeping water out would be a good idea.

Thanks for any ideas.
    Okay, this is getting frustrating. How hard can it be to install new skis? Got the new axles (I still think of it as an axle sleeve) today while near the sled shop. They are identical to the ones I had, except not fused together. Excellent news. So, tonight I got to install the skis. And, another issue crops up. The axle (part 8 - see above post for part number references) is almost 1/4" longer than the length of the spindle knuckle (part 12) + spacer (part 14) lengths. Length of the axle is exactly the same as the ones I just took out - 72mm. The spindle is 45mm. The spacer is ~21.5mm. Gives a grand difference of ~5.5mm. The parts I'm replacing are the exact same dimensions. WTF is going on here? There isn't a gap/space on the fiancee's sled which is the exact same as mine was (see photo in above post). Am I missing something here? Who knew a re/re could be so damn hard with so few components.

Photo illustrating the gap (on the right) with rubber removed from beneath spindle for ease of demonstration. That being said, how does one get the axle bolt inside the axle sleeve with the rubber there? I can't seem to compress the rubber enough to get the holes to mate up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	258709
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

I usually use a pry bar under the ski and when it's close smack it with a hammer. i do remember it being frustrating though.

There's something wrong with your setup there. The spindle should have two bushings, one each side, that appear to be missing in your pic. This site has pics of the missing bushings in the Ski-Doo parts blowup (item 13 - i'd get them from the dealer): https://goldplug.com/wp-content/uplo...SkiDoo-Ski.png. The missing bushings have external faces that butt up to the spindle and take up the space between the spindle and the ski as well. Don't ride it like that or you will ruin the spindle. The bushings were probably missing on the parts you replaced, due to being totally blown out over time (it's a wear part that eventually disintegrates if you don't replace it). To get the bolt in put the sled on the ground (on it's full weight) and put your foot on the top of the spindle to add weight if you need to push it down further. And grease the crap out of everything when you install it.
    Last edited by Wapow; 12-06-2018 at 02:09 AM.

Maggot snowmobile thread

^ oh, so part 13 isn’t part of the ski? I thought it was part of the bushing on the ski. Is part 2 the bushing in the ski? Or is that an additional part as well? Thanks for the heads up. That’ll make life easier.

"...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Maggot snowmobile thread

And there’s the bushing sleeve fused into the spindle. So that’s the other part of the disintegrated “washers” I found - lovely. Soak that in pb blaster today and tonight and see if I can get them out tomorrow. Otherwise I guess it’s new spindle arms. Ah, $ledding.

Name:	IMG_6105.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	957.2 KB 
ID:	258735

Last edited by shafty85; 12-06-2018 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Added photo

I had the same thing happen to me once on one of my XPs, which is how I became such an "expert" on the topic. You can get that sleeve out of your spindle using penetrating oil and a drift punch. Changing out the spindle is expensive and a hassle. Try to avoid it.

^ Figured there had to be someone who had been here before.

Did you remove the spindle to use the drift punch on it or just do it while it is still on the sled? That's a large drift fill that diameter - did you punch it inwards and then, once loose, push it out from the other side? Or did you work your way around the perimeter using a smaller drift?

Dont wait too long after your speedo fails to change the bearing! Picture 1 you'll see the speedo side of the driveshaft where the driveshaft pulled through the frame it looks like. When the drive shaft dropped, the bearing in the chaincase twisted, cracked the retainer ring (picture 2), and then the driveshaft gear gear slammed into the chaincase housing and blew a huge chunk out of it (picture 3).

Pretty sure the sled is totalled if the frame around the bearing got ripped out and there aren't any fastener holes left for the bearing/speedo. Or at least way more to fix than the sled is worth.

2004 Mountain Cat 900 with only 500 miles on it. Had to tow 3 people including myself 7 miles out over heinous trail bumps because my buddy didn't fill his sled up with enough gas to make it out. Heard the worst noise and she died half a mile from the car. Was trying to sell it too Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181206_083746.jpeg 
Views:	97 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	258812Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181205_212643.jpeg 
Views:	87 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	258813Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181205_213906.jpeg 
Views:	89 
Size:	52.8 KB 
ID:	258814

Sent from my SM-G950U using TGR Forums mobile app

^ makes my ski and ski arm issues seem relatively minor.

Speaking of which. Multiple applications of penetrant and some love taps and they’re out. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6106.JPG 
Views:	90 
Size:	257.1 KB 
ID:	258844

Brutal dead sled

wow. speedo cable? man...

anyone been up chalk creek below the big switchback past freemont mine heading towards leadville, on a sled? always see sledders there and maybe a hut back up there? the parking lot and initial trail looks private tho.

Anyone know Polaris drive belt sizes or where to look em up.

I am responsible for this beast

Name:	8Sled.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	253.0 KB 
ID:	259099

Better view (before modification)

Name:	4Mat.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	258.5 KB 
ID:	259100

I believe it is a 2002 RMK 800 156 vertical edge.

At the very end of last season one of my co workers killed the spare drive belt, he'd already killed the regular one by not freeing up the track and just trying to get the frozen beast moving by throttle alone!

My problem is not just no belt. The sled is in Japan (where I am headed in a week) and I am in France. I'd like to order one from the USA and have it shipped so I don't have to wait too long. Tks Tom
    Knowledge is Powder

Quote Originally Posted by Idris View Post
    Anyone know Polaris drive belt sizes or where to look em up.

I am responsible for this beast

Name:	8Sled.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	253.0 KB 
ID:	259099

Better view (before modification)

Name:	4Mat.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	258.5 KB 
ID:	259100

I believe it is a 2002 RMK 800 156 vertical edge.

At the very end of last season one of my co workers killed the spare drive belt, he'd already killed the regular one by not freeing up the track and just trying to get the frozen beast moving by throttle alone!

My problem is not just no belt. The sled is in Japan (where I am headed in a week) and I am in France. I'd like to order one from the USA and have it shipped so I don't have to wait too long. Tks Tom
    Google polaris rmk belts.....

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pano-dude View Post
    Google polaris rmk belts.....
    Not that simple, spent hours trying similar. Polaris own website is crap. Can't find any website that lists machines vs belts. The belt makers sites I've tried give me different answers. That's why I'm asking here!
    Knowledge is Powder

Quote Originally Posted by Idris View Post
    Not that simple, spent hours trying similar. Polaris own website is crap. Can't find any website that lists machines vs belts. The belt makers sites I've tried give me different answers. That's why I'm asking here!
    https://recreationsupply.co/ this catakique should have it listed.

Quote Originally Posted by crashidy View Post
    https://recreationsupply.co/ this catakique should have it listed.

Tks sorted
    Knowledge is Powder

anyone else have one of these back in the 70's ??
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.