Page 73 of 167 FirstFirst ... 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,825 of 4154
    My new plan is this...

Buy a new 163 Pro or a one year old 163 pro for $8K (with warranty). Also, buy back my totaled sled from insurance (usually 10%). Pull the motor from that one and drop the RK Tek big bore kit into that.

Once I get the big bore conversion done, drop that motor into the "new" sled. Bam. 190ish HP (probably more like 160 at elevation). Its no turbo but its as close as I'll get...

If I have a problem I'll have an under warranty stock motor sitting in my garage...

That outta work

Seems like stock is a pretty good bet these days. Not really into highmarking, but Im not really wanting for more power in my T3 174. I guess someone straightlining up a narrow 45 deg chute with no option other than making it would want a turbo, but a lot of people with much better skills than I are perfectly happy with a stock XM.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

That thing is gonna get you laid, for sure.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

Pow 11, nice shots. What days were you up there? Was up with Alfords buddy Hanke for our AST 2 course over the weekend (6-7th). Great time, learned a lot and wicked sledding. Check out http://www.soulrides.ca He has a pretty sweet lodge right off the HWY in 3 Valley Gap.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20141207_14_55_10_Pro__highres.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	719.6 KB 
ID:	161349   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20141207_14_55_50_Pro.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	161350   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20141207_15_02_41_Pro.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	161351   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20141207_15_05_53_Pro.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	961.6 KB 
ID:	161352  
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyJim View Post
    My new plan is this...

Buy a new 163 Pro or a one year old 163 pro for $8K (with warranty). Also, buy back my totaled sled from insurance (usually 10%). Pull the motor from that one and drop the RK Tek big bore kit into that.

Once I get the big bore conversion done, drop that motor into the "new" sled. Bam. 190ish HP (probably more like 160 at elevation). Its no turbo but its as close as I'll get...

If I have a problem I'll have an under warranty stock motor sitting in my garage...

That outta work
    Mod sleds are like a wife, always need attention, cost money, sure they are fun to ride when in a good mood but mostly a pain in the ass.....

Quote Originally Posted by pano-dude View Post
    Mod sleds are like a wife, always need attention, cost money, sure they are fun to ride when in a good mood but mostly a pain in the ass.....
    I thought all sleds were like that

Seriously, you may be right - but I have a heated garage and am always wrenching on something. Idol hands right?

Looking at picking up a new(er) sled next spring, for using next winter out in Whistler . However I am thinking I may make a quick trip home and grab my bros old ski access sled (1996 Artic Cat 580Ext) and use that this year to get out and do some riding to get more used to the sledding part of sled skiing. It runs pretty good, but is a short track 121" 1.25 paddles. I was thinking it would be fine for trails and some meadow riding around Brandywine. I did some riding with it last year, and it did fine. Obviously it would suck in bottomless powder, but would it suck in typical Whistler conditions? Seems like the snow is typically denser than the Rockies, and sets up quicker after a storm. I know it would be nice to have more track, and more. HP, but that ain't happening this year.

Smoke em if you got em. It'll be funner than walking

Exactly, better than walking. Here in CO, at the places where there are groomed roads, pretty much _anything_ is a viable ski lift, provided it has not snowed/the groomer ran on top of the new snow. A trail sled won't break trail up big stuff - it is actually surprising to me how easily they DO get stuck in deep snow, the difference is bigger than I'd have thought - but if there's a road in place, it'll do Just Fine.

Skied yesterday @ Vail Pass, about 7" new on top of our Thanksgiving storm. North facing trees actually skied REALLY well - far better than I thought they would. South facing catroads were TERRIFYING, had to chuck the Skandic in reverse descending one to keep out of a creekbed. Icy layer on the groomer under the new snow, just COULD NOT slow down. eek.

Yeh, kind of what I was thinking. Just need to find some other people that will let me tag along on mellow accesses so I am not out there alone.

Got the CFR rack mounted last night. Time to find some turns.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1418740687.654174.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	653.3 KB 
ID:	161513

Quote Originally Posted by eldereldo View Post
    Yeh, kind of what I was thinking. Just need to find some other people that will let me tag along on mellow accesses so I am not out there alone.
    Brandywine will be your best bet. Blackcomb snomobile grooms quite a bit for their tenure. Always lots of people around too if you get stuck. I would not take a sled like that too far off trail. Lets plan a day to fart around when theres more snow with solid travelling conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    Looks Classy! ... You should have racked up the 210's in the back ground

I have noticed that there are several ways to rack your skis in the CFR rack. I have always put my tips forward and placed the toe piece between the straps. Here we see the reverse. I have also seen skis racked tip only, with the binder to the rear of the last ratchet.

It probably doesn't matter .... or does it?
    The 210's are an old pair of XC skis that I picked up for free this summer for the poor sole that comes to the cabin and wants to go out an play.
    I have no idea regarding the tips up or down yet. I just slammed them in with the the toe piece is between the straps to see how it works in the garage at least.
    Last edited by danadog; 12-16-2014 at 09:22 AM.

No matter what/who's rack, I try to get skis so that most of the weight is towards the sled or right at the brackets. That means tips rearward. It puts less leverage on your fasteners on the rack.

It also gets the big rocker tips away from your shins and potentially dragging on snow or trees or whatever.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    No matter what/who's rack, I try to get skis so that most of the weight is towards the sled or right at the brackets. That means tips rearward. It puts less leverage on your fasteners on the rack.

It also gets the big rocker tips away from your shins and potentially dragging on snow or trees or whatever.
    saved me the time. I really like CFR racks.

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    Brandywine will be your best bet. Blackcomb snomobile grooms quite a bit for their tenure. Always lots of people around too if you get stuck. I would not take a sled like that too far off trail. Lets plan a day to fart around when theres more snow with solid travelling conditions.
    Sounds good, guess we just need some snow then.

Quote Originally Posted by danadog View Post
    Got the CFR rack mounted last night. Time to find some turns.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1418740687.654174.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	653.3 KB 
ID:	161513
    Is that a 2013?

How you like it?
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by eldereldo View Post
    Sounds good, guess we just need some snow then.
    oh there's plenty of snow up high, but along with potentially trashing a good sled dealing a shit stained approach trail through the subalpine you'll need a decent mtn sled to get to the goods! Pics from Brandywine alpine last weekend... Get high and stay high!

Bluebird skies in BC in December?

Lies. All lies.

Thanks Toby.... If I don't run down to Route 99 and buy a sled it won't be thanks to you. God that looks awesome. How far up the road did you have to drive before you could sled?

And yes, somewhat unfortunately, bluebird in December.

Got out on the new to me sled this weekend!

Key for sure this early to get to the alpine easily here up north!

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Is that a 2013?

How you like it?
    Yes it is a 13. I picked her up used this spring with 3.1 miles on and only have one ride on her. So far it blew every expectation I had out of the water.
    Cant wait for this weekend to come as I will have a week off to try to really figure her out.

Quote Originally Posted by danadog View Post
    Yes it is a 13. I picked her up used this spring with 3.1 miles on and only have one ride on her. So far it blew every expectation I had out of the water.
    Cant wait for this weekend to come as I will have a week off to try to really figure her out.
    I think that track is going to make you very happy

The proclimbs are the only current chassis I haven't ridden. Those black LEs look friggin sweet. I'll be curious to know what you think of it after a season from a sled skiing perspective. It checks a lot of boxes. I think the skis are the only glaring weirdness on them.

I have a new set of Grippers ready to go on this weekend as that was the first thing I was told is a must change.