Page 28 of 167 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wwwllw View Post
    That 700 looks to be a 1999 not a 1997. 3,500 miles is right about where mine, just like it except a 151" track, had a crank go out. I know of 2 others right off the top of my head from the same vintage 1999/2000 that had crank issues as well. I also know of others with zero issues. Might be something that you'd want to do a little research on. Good luck. Snowmobiling is a lot of fun!
    99 RMK was my first sled and by far the most reliable sled I have owned or probably will ever own. Rides like a tank, but was nothing but good to me, just replace that topend every couple thousand miles and you're good to go.

JJ-
    I'm just reading the writing on the wall. Up here we have seen our riding areas shrink almost every year the last few on the Gallatin NF. Yes, an out right ban may be a little extreme, but backcountry mountain riding (the only kind of riding worth a shit IMO), will be obsolete.

I think you're referring to oil companies (big bussiness), backing the sled industry? The snowmobile industry itself sure as hell doesn't have any teeth. Wait till the USFS starts closing all your favorite riding zones, then I'll bet you'll agree that it doesn't look good for sledders. I wonder what zone we'll lose this year?

Quote Originally Posted by hick View Post
    99 RMK was my first sled and by far the most reliable sled I have owned or probably will ever own. Rides like a tank, but was nothing but good to me, just replace that topend every couple thousand miles and you're good to go.

JJ-
    I'm just reading the writing on the wall. Up here we have seen our riding areas shrink almost every year the last few on the Gallatin NF. Yes, an out right ban may be a little extreme, but backcountry mountain riding (the only kind of riding worth a shit IMO), will be obsolete.

I think you're referring to oil companies (big bussiness), backing the sled industry? The snowmobile industry itself sure as hell doesn't have any teeth. Wait till the USFS starts closing all your favorite riding zones, then I'll bet you'll agree that it doesn't look good for sledders. I wonder what zone we'll lose this year?
    Maybe its because I'm just too naive but I really don't think this will happen to a huge degree.

Polaris has a $2.4B dollar market cap, Bombardier is a $8.3B market cap. Yes, I know, this isn't all snowmobile, but it IS big business.

Oil companies have little to do with it besides the fact everyone who works in oil and gas seems to ride a sled (which kind of helps in a way)...

My point is, there will be regulation, we may not get to go EVERYWHERE but I do think it will stay more or less the same over the next few years and regulation will come in the way of 4 stroke, cleaner 2 stroke and eventually, electric sleds.

Flame away.

On a different note, anybody have any thoughts on the Team Tied Driven clutch? I need a new secondary...and parts for my primary.

Worth the money or no?

Jeff

I like the idea of less hanging off the back. Do you notice the skies along the seat much when you ride? How close are the tips to the bulkhead? And if you feeling generous maybe a pic from the side in that area.
    Its super tight to the machine, you dont even notice them. Thats the major downside to most systems is you loose half of your floor board. I built it so that the tips fit into the curve of the dash

the pics sux but...

Hello darkness my old friend

Like ^^^ system but I need to be able to carry more than one set of boards.

I like this plastic idea though...

this guy KJ is pretty good on his snow machine

Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyJim View Post
    Like ^^^ system but I need to be able to carry more than one set of boards.

I like this plastic idea though...
    That was deliberate, My sled my skis, your sled your skis, no sled? Doh~~

Im over tandem-ing for an hour to get to the zone.

I only put my skis on the rack for the ride out, when we hit the zone and start tandem-ing One pair stays down and one goes up. Two pairs on your tunnel is kinda hard on your machine too when hitting the woops and stuff IMO.
    Hello darkness my old friend

That video was fucking sick! Thanks for posting that

Thanks for the pic Dehli I am liking this idea a lot.

JJ- I'll agree to disagree.

My wife has the Team clutch you're asking about. Feels great to me and her 07 has not been a belt eater at all. Seems all good to me, certainly better than stock.

Thanks for the input---

Need my sled to backshift a little better under load so I can actually climb what my sled is capable of climbing. (stock secondary is fucked)

Anyway, not sure I need to drop 430 on a Team, thinking I could get away with a 100 stock primary+Dynamo Joe kit...hmmm

Hey JJ, Dave, and any other local mags...

Next sat we're doing a beacon practice/ unofficial clinic day at Jones. Yeah, the snow will suck, but that's not why we're there.

Planning on working from 11,11:30 till 3:30 then heading to Beaujos after to see the local premiere for Sledbetties Rise (Abby is one of the main riders, she was going heeeuge last year) and ten high VII and have some pizza.

Both are free & there is no money changing hands unless you want to buy a pizza at Beaujos.

Here's the event on gaybook,

2nd annual Beacon Olympics & Sledbetties Rise Premiere!

Shoot me a PM if you're up for coming so I can add you to the list. (not sure how the event thing works if you're not on gaybook, but whatever... you know what we're doing!)

Abby, killing it at Grand Mesa

Hey, non red/sled-necks are WELCOME to come too, we've got a number of freeheelers coming as well
    Last edited by backcountryislife; 11-07-2010 at 08:24 PM.

How difficult is it to change a track? Any special tools I would need? For the clips? Would I need a stand or could I get it done on its side?

I'm fairly mechanically competent and hoping to save a lot of money. As well if anyone has any track recomendations, M7 used in BC, lets hear them. I was thinking Powerclaw, found some for ~$600 new. Local shop quoted me $1100.

Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    How difficult is it to change a track? Any special tools I would need? For the clips? Would I need a stand or could I get it done on its side?

I'm fairly mechanically competent and hoping to save a lot of money. As well if anyone has any track recomendations, M7 used in BC, lets hear them. I was thinking Powerclaw, found some for ~$600 new. Local shop quoted me $1100.
    For the track itself, call Michelle at oregon powersports, she's cheap & great service.

Which sled do you have? for any of them you need to pull the skid (back off tensioners, pull 4 bolts, wiggle it out, then pull the drive shaft (cat DD sled, that part is about 15 min, older jackshaft sleds it seemed to take about 30-45)

Overall, for a mechanically oriented person it's not too tough technically, but sometimes involves a bit of forcing things as compared to finesse.

Quote Originally Posted by backcountryislife View Post
    Which sled do you have?
    Arctic Cat M7

Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post

I would go Powerclaw. Blurred did a writeup on snowest for a mountain cat I believe, should be very similar. If you have a garage with rafters, just hang the sled from the rear bar with a ratchet strap. It's 4 bolts to detach the skid from the tunnel. Then you need to pull the driveshaft and drivers by opening up the chaincase, pulling the gear off the driveshaft and sliding it out into the tunnel.

Blurred thread:
    http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/s...ighlight=track

No chaincase on the M, it's a DD sled, Much easier than blurred's King (do not open up the DD to do this, but you may want to flush the fluid if you haven't already for the season)

Remove the shark fin that holds the speed sensor first, then the big brass nut on the brake side (holds rotor on) can be removed with a ford hub tool, or with some blunt type of tool (like a flathead screwdriver, but hopefully less pointy) then you'll need about 18" of extension to get to the bolt that holds the shaft to the DD (It's a 5/8)then people do it without pulling the DD usually on the 7, on an M7 it's actually pretty easy, but on the newer ones it's harder

I think the M7 is actually the easiest sled I've ever done a track change on, pretty straight forward.

Make sure you put the track on correct direction, the PC is very direction specific.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Hey JJ, Dave, and any other local mags...

Next sat we're doing a beacon practice/ unofficial clinic day at Jones. Yeah, the snow will suck, but that's not why we're there.

Planning on working from 11,11:30 till 3:30 then heading to Beaujos after to see the local premiere for Sledbetties Rise (Abby is one of the main riders, she was going heeeuge last year) and ten high VII and have some pizza.

Both are free & there is no money changing hands unless you want to buy a pizza at Beaujos.

Here's the event on gaybook,

2nd annual Beacon Olympics & Sledbetties Rise Premiere!

Shoot me a PM if you're up for coming so I can add you to the list. (not sure how the event thing works if you're not on gaybook, but whatever... you know what we're doing!)

Abby, killing it at Grand Mesa

Hey, non red/sled-necks are WELCOME to come too, we've got a number of freeheelers coming as well
    Kaleb,

Would love to come but have to work all day Saturday. Sick cover photo btw. Hopefully JP gets enough snow out of this week to make the road bearable for the weekend.

On another note, anyone have any experience installing v force reeds on an AC 1M? Hoping to get the job done saturday night so I can be done with all my sled mods for the pre-season. Any need to rejet? Already rejetted for high altitude.

No need to re-jet, you're good. It's MUCH easier to do reeds on the King than it is on the M series. Shouldn't be too bad of a job.

Pretty stoked on the cover. I've had plenty of mag shots, but never a cover before... and for it to be Abby makes it that much cooler.

Bummed you can't make it, should be fun. Got a box from BCA last night... MMMM!

No need to re-jet, you're good. It's MUCH easier to do reeds on the King than it is on the M series. Shouldn't be too bad of a job.

Pretty stoked on the cover. I've had plenty of mag shots, but never a cover before... and for it to be Abby makes it that much cooler.

Bummed you can't make it, should be fun. Got a box from BCA last night... MMMM!
    Gonna try real hard to get out of work tomorrow. If I can, I'll make it up for sure. Will be good to see you and Abby and get the cobwebs out. If not, I'm sure we'll be riding soon enough. Have fun tomorrow if I don't see you guys.

Careful on the road up to Jones today gang. There were some decent little rocks poking through the snow. It was just gorgeous up above treeline yesterday though. I kept the sled on the road in order to avoid tearing shit up, but we did manage to get a few very nice laps in on the skis.

Sorry I can't make it out to the beacon session. Stupid job...
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

My new snowmobile!
    00 MXZ 600 136 track conversion

The track I somehow have to put on it..

It should be good for around here, then I can learn on it, and hopefully sell it next year for something bigger if I need it.

Any tips on what kind of work I should do to prep it for the season are appreciated, I took off the carbs and cleaned them really well, but besides that I know more or less nothing about these things... How do you tune the carbs right?
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

^ I had that exact same sled. I bought it from my buddy who had bought it from his brother in law. The thing had been beat to piss and totally neglected yet it still started every time and always ran good. Had a billion miles on it too.

Sorry I can't help with any of the tune up stuff, I never messed with it, just rode the piss out of it.

Does it already have a 136" track on it & you're changing it, or did you get extensions with the track? Swapping it is actually pretty easy. PM me, I can write up a from-memory "how to."

Carb jetting - also no idea, mine were jetted for where I am, it just kinda works. Does yours have the DPM module? Plastic compensator thingy in front of the airbox, if it is the same as my 03 ZX chassis sled.

Change the chaincase oil (default occurrence if you change the track), clean everything, get a grease gun on all the Zerk fittings on the skid, the spindles (where the ski goes through the trailing arm), get the one on the driveshaft - open the hood, take the belt cover off (you don't HAVE to, but it is easier to see if you do), feel around below the driven clutch - where the speedo drive cable bolts on, you can feel the zerk for the driveshaft at about 4 o'clock, that's an important one. There may be one on the steering linkage up in the front of the bellypan, too.

Mine (03 700 Summit, more similar than different) has been stupid-reliable. I like it, a lot.

dootalk.com has a lot of specific info about that sled, snowest.com kinda blows, but there's a lot of history there. You can download old owners manuals from skidoo.com. Lots of information out there.

Iain

Quote Originally Posted by Mannix View Post
    Does it already have a 136" track on it & you're changing it, or did you get extensions with the track? Swapping it is actually pretty easy. PM me, I can write up a from-memory "how to."

Carb jetting - also no idea, mine were jetted for where I am, it just kinda works. Does yours have the DPM module? Plastic compensator thingy in front of the airbox, if it is the same as my 03 ZX chassis sled.

Change the chaincase oil (default occurrence if you change the track), clean everything, get a grease gun on all the Zerk fittings on the skid, the spindles (where the ski goes through the trailing arm), get the one on the driveshaft - open the hood, take the belt cover off (you don't HAVE to, but it is easier to see if you do), feel around below the driven clutch - where the speedo drive cable bolts on, you can feel the zerk for the driveshaft at about 4 o'clock, that's an important one. There may be one on the steering linkage up in the front of the bellypan, too.

Mine (03 700 Summit, more similar than different) has been stupid-reliable. I like it, a lot.

dootalk.com has a lot of specific info about that sled, snowest.com kinda blows, but there's a lot of history there. You can download old owners manuals from skidoo.com. Lots of information out there.

Iain

Thanks!!
    I got most of the ones you mentioned when I swamped the tracks. It has the 136 extensions already installed, the track it came with was shot, so I swapped in a better one. I did it today, wasn't too bad, but more of a project than I was expecting.. I didn't get the spindles though, will do that tomorrow, my speedo cable is toast which was an un-pleasant finding, but they look to be cheap so I'll have to do that eventually.

It does have the tube between the two carbs, I'm assuming the jetting is right, just trying to make sure they are dialed in, I know I need to somehow tune them so they are the same at idle? The plugs were black and wet when I took them out after idleing for a while (no riding it yet, now snow!) Maybe its worth the 50 bucks (I assume?) to take it to a shop?

What should I do with the suspension? Make it stiffer? I let out the limit strap while the skid was out, and turned the shock to almost stiffest, should I take off my sway bar (and how?)

I'm on snowest, but looks like I should go get a login at dootalk.

Thanks!
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.