Page 151 of 167 FirstFirst ... 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 ... LastLast
Results 3,751 to 3,775 of 4154
    Quote Originally Posted by lifelinksplit View Post
    Not sure its gonna be a good decision but buddy who is the head mechanic at the artic cat shop offered to possibly sell me his kids m1000(he's leaving and lost interest) . Newer i think but don't remember year. Needs work but he said he's done diamond drive and a bunch of stuff. Also told me he'd help me do all the work minus parts $. I kinda feel like I can end up with a nicer sled than i need and learn a bunch about working on the motor. I've built 4x4s but little experience on 2 strokes.

Oh and he's throwing in a hot tub to appease the old lady(mine). Its prob a bad idea but for around $3400 I'm having a hard passing on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app
    That right there, kids, is a classic win win. He gets a sled that'll do 100 at 2/3 throttle and a freaking hot tub. Do it!
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Hot tub is older but works fine. He's basically wanting 3k for sled and 400 for tub. He built the sled for his kid and is artic cat master mechanic so I'm pretty sure the actual amt of $parts he has in it is stupid. He also didnt really want to sell it but it having some issues that require money and would rather have it go to someone who would be riding with him. I should know a bit more after this week or so.

Do it . I seem to remember up thread you were pretty stoked on getting out with your boys. I wouldn't buy a cat but sounds like you've got a guy that is willing to walk you through maintenance/repairs. My only regret about buying a sled is not doing it sooner. Trail riding to the skin track is fine but riding 2 up and or getting towed to the goods is mo better.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post
    . Trail riding to the skin track is fine but riding 2 up is mo better.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	544fba7ee4b0d02df3a91486_c4JJuMdhzvT8mluFY2iDfqpYaz_TiCRY1_ZWZTnN5VJEKIZcyuw_5XOBcMPpJEfTgVLKCM.jpeg 
Views:	90 
Size:	113.5 KB 
ID:	419493

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    I miss my sled. Turbo ski-doos are a ton of fun. Maybe some day I’ll get one again.

My moto helmet was perfect. Surprisingly warm, comfy, as was perfect for almost every day.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Didn't you just buy the turbo this season?
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Got my snowmobile registration renewals in the mail yesterday! Won't be long now! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220306_112100-01.jpeg 
Views:	82 
Size:	161.8 KB 
ID:	424359
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!

Well I did it. Sled getting dropped off next few days. Gonna do a bunch of work on it and get familiar with the motor etc. Gotta look into ski/snowboard carry. Looking forward to getting stuck and breaking shit then drinking beer in the hot tub. Sorry for the jinx on snow montana.

Where full grown men pretend to be cowboys
    Just picked up a new to me Doo 850, looking for a ski rack.

Done lots of DIY ski racks over the years, some better than others, and just too busy to fuck with it this fall.

What’s the consensus on pre-fab options these days? CFR still the best option and Mopros guy still a chode? Anybody try the Doo OEM option?

Your assumptions are still valid. New design skidoo rack has proved to be just a more expensive version of a piece of junk

Well I did it. Sled getting dropped off next few days. Gonna do a bunch of work on it and get familiar with the motor etc. Gotta look into ski/snowboard carry. Looking forward to getting stuck and breaking shit then drinking beer in the hot tub. Sorry for the jinx on snow montana.

Got sled and hot tub at house. Still gonna do a new top end before snow flies since mechanic buddy has all the parts already. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220919_121130.jpeg 
Views:	68 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	426866Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220919_120953.jpeg 
Views:	67 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	426867

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeAl View Post
    Just picked up a new to me Doo 850, looking for a ski rack.

Done lots of DIY ski racks over the years, some better than others, and just too busy to fuck with it this fall.

What’s the consensus on pre-fab options these days? CFR still the best option and Mopros guy still a chode? Anybody try the Doo OEM option?
    Another option: https://www.backyardboltons.com/prod...ge/trench-town
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

Got sled and hot tub at house. Still gonna do a new top end before snow flies since mechanic buddy has all the parts already. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220919_121130.jpeg 
Views:	68 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	426866Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220919_120953.jpeg 
Views:	67 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	426867

Take note, kids. This right here is what winning looks like

Quote Originally Posted by el hefe View Post
    These look sweet, thanks for sharing!

Got my first sled last winter (2014 Summit 800), and started to figure it out.
    I want to get a second sled solely for accessing my property, which is up a groomed forest service road.

When I'm looking at cheap sleds (under $2k is the criteria), what should I be on the lookout for?
    There's a huge range of what's available, from 80s to early 2000s. Any makes/models to look for or avoid in particular?
    First thought is just find something that looks like it was decently cared for and doesn't have a million miles on it.

If the hood is there and the seat is stock and intact (not just a chunk of shitty foam) along with it starting easily and runs nice it is usually worth $2k. Try to find a triple cylinder for maximum fun.

Quote Originally Posted by sklar View Post
    Got my first sled last winter (2014 Summit 800), and started to figure it out.
    I want to get a second sled solely for accessing my property, which is up a groomed forest service road.

When I'm looking at cheap sleds (under $2k is the criteria), what should I be on the lookout for?
    There's a huge range of what's available, from 80s to early 2000s. Any makes/models to look for or avoid in particular?
    First thought is just find something that looks like it was decently cared for and doesn't have a million miles on it.
    I'd avoid the RMK 800s from the 00s. Widespread crank bearing issues.

A 2000 Powder Special w/the 580 twin motor was probably the most reliable sled I've ever owned. Rebuilt the top end at 5k miles, a buddy still has it with over 8k on it. Thing just keeps going, fires up 1st-2nd pull every time.

The Yamaha Mountain Max is another notoriously bullet proof sled from that era if you want something with more power.

My wife rides a 06 M7 that I bought for $1200 last year, you can find these cheap too.

We use a 99 Polaris 550 fan with a tow sled to haul stuff to the cabin. It's about 1/2 mile on the groomed trail, so we walk (or snowshoe) in, start it up and do the shuttle. The next day, I ride my 800 up the groomer to 9400 ft ( 11.5 miles) and get the goods. The 550 lives at the cabin under a cover so I don't get my butt wet.

CK

I need new tires for my sled trailer and know nothing about trailer tires. What do folks recommend to look for regarding new tires? I'm seeing some Kenda Lodestar tires that are 6 ply and on wheels already for 170. Is something like that a decent option or should I be looking for something with some more beef? I wouldn't mind new wheels as well so I can turn one of my old ones into a new spare.

Usage is typically close to home with a max drive of about 25 miles at 50-60mph.

Maggot snowmobile thread

My thought on trailer tires, especially uses like yours, is to go cheap, they typically wear out from age/sun way before they do from miles.
    Edited to add I have a LOT of trailer tires - 4 boats will do that to you

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Last edited by teleee; 10-20-2022 at 11:41 AM.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

I assume you just have a flatbed sled trailer, so ya, what teleee said. If it’s a heavy covered sled trailer, than I would go a little beefier with at least a load range D (8ply) tire.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    I assume you just have a flatbed sled trailer, so ya, what teleee said. If it’s a heavy covered sled trailer, than I would go a little beefier with at least a load range D (8ply) tire.
    Yeah, it's a flat bed 2 sled trailer. Thanka for the comments guys.

X3. Flatbed open sled trailer, utility trailer, etc = cheapo tires. The mounted on wheels ones on etrailer are usually a good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    X3. Flatbed open sled trailer, utility trailer, etc = cheapo tires. The mounted on wheels ones on etrailer are usually a good deal.
    ...especially if staying under 55 isn't a problem.

I've taken cheap tires to higher speeds without issue, but the minimum speed rating for trailer tires is 55 MPH, so that's where a lot of the cheap ones land. They won't (usually) explode the second you hit 56 MPH, but it's something to consider in your shopping.

The older I get the less hesitations I have about spending money on good tires.

Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post
    The older I get the less hesitations I have about spending money on good tires.

Yup. New rubber on the travel trailer every 5 yrs no matter how good they look (but even though the tread looks fine, slight imperfections start to show in the sidewalls by year 5). Trailer tires are especially susceptible to degradation cause they tend to sit idle for longer vs passenger vehicle tires, regular use keeps them conditioned. Even worse if they are stored on concrete slab as it pulls the moisture out of them.

Rubber and brakes, not places to skimp. Especially at or near GVWR, with the whole family in the vehicle travelling down the highway at speed. Just not worth it.

Have seen a bunch of cheapo bias ply tires blow out, so we always replaced ours with radials immediately. The higher speed limit on them and better reliability seemed worth it for the marginal increase in cost.