Page 93 of 167 FirstFirst ... 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 ... LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,325 of 4154
    Makes sense. I've used Voile straps on my ghetto rig and although they've worked fine, they are far from being the weakest part of that setup, so it's tough to evaluate whether or not they'd work consistently on something more refined.

Also, the actual usage of my sled ski rack is a fraction of what I'd like to be. 100 cycles of loading/unloading per year is so far from my reality it's pretty laughable, but I can see how a system that gets used frequently could benefit from tougher construction.

Thanks again for posting photos of your setup. I bought blocks and aluminum with the intention of building a copy the last time you shared your rig (3yrs ago?). Talk about procrastination. Now I'm motivated again to get it done.
    Last edited by North; 12-15-2017 at 02:47 PM.

I wasn't necessarily meaning 100 days, more like 100 cycles of skis going in and out of the rack. Several laps throughout a day kind of thing.

Even then, one 10 mile trip on the most whooped out shitty road is like 1000 days going out in fresh snow. Mobbing on hardpack is where things really start to fall apart.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    I wasn't necessarily meaning 100 days, more like 100 cycles of skis going in and out of the rack.
    Yeah I got what you meant. Edited my post to make it more clear. Good point on the whooped out road vs pow though. My ghetto rig definitely wouldn't hold together on 10mi of whooped out road. I'd be stopping every mile to re-adjust.

Fun day, powder makes me happy.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Long story short, I tried to clean my carbs (it was my first time). Buddy was 'helping' and broke the TPS control module (snapped a tab so it wouldn't snap back into the female part). Managed to find a used one online for $55CAN after shipping. I've got the carbs re-assembled and installed (I think) with the new TPS control module but, according to my shop manual, I need to do a Closed Throttle Reset which I'm pretty sure is not within my current skill-set given the tools required (a digital inductive type tachometer P/N 529 014 500 to set the idle speed???). Anyways, I got the sled to start (yay?) but it appears to be idling around 4000rpm and when I engage the throttle, there's a burning smell - possibly my belt, which I took it off this winter as this was a 'pre-season tune', as it tries to grab at 4000rpm? Anyways, I need to get this thing to the dealer - how much damage will I do loading the thing on to my truck? Or, is there something I can do to lower the idle speed to get it on the truck? If I wear out a belt, I've got 2 more, but I don't want to do damage to the engine itself. I don't know if I can set up a good enough system to winch 500#+drag on to my deck without destroying a lot of shit. Fack. Live and learn - not much learning except to not break things.

Sled is an '08 Summit 800, if that makes any difference. First time working on a sled - hopefully the bill isn't so expensive it's my last... le sigh.
    Last edited by shafty85; 01-03-2018 at 07:19 PM.
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Shit. I would be worried about it catching and sending you over the truck. Honestly with 2 friend s you can get it on any truck. We've dead sailered sleds onto my deck before. Good luck.

Thanks crashidy - I agree regarding that concern (thing is meant to idle at 1900rpm, so 4000 is up there). Any tips on how to make it easier to dead sailer, or is it just hauling the thing up the ramp one sweat-inducing inch at a time? Heading out for a tour, so this will be a PM job.
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

How well sealed are your carb boots? If they are cracked or not well sealed that can cause it to idle high around 3500 4000 rpm.
    As far as going uo the deck if you have two on the skis, one guy physically turning the track by pushing on the paddles and go litle by little.

Maggot snowmobile thread

Quote Originally Posted by crashidy View Post
    How well sealed are your carb boots? If they are cracked or not well sealed that can cause it to idle high around 3500 4000 rpm.
    This...
    Also suggests that you are running Lean which can ultimately lead to burnt pistons. Carb boots, AKA reed cages on doo's seem to have about a 8 year half life before they start to crack and let additional air into the system. I would recommend changing them out. The alternate is quite a bit more costly.

I’ll check both these things - regardless it has to go to the shop to get the closed throttle reset done, so I’ll have the shop check both these items. I didn’t notice anything with the boots when I was looking at them, but honestly didn’t take a super close look. I did have to use silicone grease to get them to go back on the outlet side.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Cracked carb boots on a circa '00 skidoo were the culprit of this type of problem for me. Unfortunately the part was discontinued. Apparently they can be superglued back together if they're not cracked too bad but a local mechanic crafted a sweet custom solution for me that has been working great so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Wymontchoppers View Post
    Cracked carb boots on a circa '00 skidoo were the culprit of this type of problem for me. Unfortunately the part was discontinued
    This strikes me as odd.
    Kimpex makes replacement boots for most Doo models going back to mid 90's. They are considered by many to be better than OEM.

I have learned that the term 'discontinued' means different things. It depends on who you are talking to.... the dealership vs a non-brand affiliated mechanic.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Maggot snowmobile thread

Sounds about right. I've always done my own work on my sleds (most of it anyway). As a result the only time I spend at a dealer is at the parts counter, and not very often as most parts are available on teh webz.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3602773A-349E-4705-8BAE-F02C0321982E.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	493.7 KB 
ID:	220019

How's the new toy?
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Got the sled on with three of us pushing. Thanks for the advice, I’ll see how much my wallet hates me.

Does anyone have a good way to carry a DSLR on their sled? Yes the Pelican case on the rear rack works, but I find myself not wanting to stop, unstrap it, and re-strap it back there. Something like a handlebar bag is what I'm thinking for easy action shots, and moving around when you don't expect to be getting to crazy, but the bars will keep it safe enough in the event of a rollover Thoughts?

Another thought its if I could find a way to secure the pelican case without a strap over the lid, so I could open it without having to undo my strap system..

Yes, I'm lazy, but I always find the best pictures aren't planned.
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

Just bolt the pelican case to the tunnel. Especially if you have a polaris with the carriage bolt grooves.

Your idea of a bar bag sounds good too. Less bouncy bounce. Limited lenses though.

So far pretty good, the motor is awesome, the clutch is something you have to experience, it is so smooth and you pretty much start moving as soon as you give it gas, it feels like someone is engaging a real clutch for you. Still playing with the shocks to find the best settings for me. And haven’t really taken it for a serious ride, mostly been exploring areas for touring. But even that just seems to be easier when you can just creep thru something and then smoothly accelerate exactly when you want. And the 3” track helps with that as well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0D28CA5F-B94F-4033-AA01-5AF0BE6C80F0.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	456.1 KB 
ID:	220070

~$80 later and I’m good to go. TPS reset, throttle tuned - big props to Courtenay motorsports for getting it back to me the same day I dropped it off. Hopefully get out for the first sled day tomorrow - skinning is tiring.

That's great! glad it worked out for you. Elder Eldo that cat looks sweet.

You are describing everyone's struggle with DSLR in the BC... no one (photog or subject) really wants to wait around for them.... mostly because they make some really awesome point and shoot cameras.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Quote Originally Posted by crashidy View Post
    That's great! glad it worked out for you. Elder Eldo that cat looks sweet.
    Yeh, always thought Cat made some of the most aggressive looking sleds, now they also work the way they look.

Selling a Tsaina rack from my old sled

https://denver.craigslist.org/snw/6446652227.html