Page 123 of 167 FirstFirst ... 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 ... LastLast
Results 3,051 to 3,075 of 4154
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdirt View Post
    Save urself 5-6K and buy a used 19-20 with warranty. There are lots o guys who springckecked turbos and lots o people out of work. Ive been looking too and finding 10-11K for 1500-2500K with 2 year warranty. Plus u don't pay freight, pdi, gst. Ive purchased a bunch of new sleds over the years and I don' think I would buy from a dealer as you lose so much valuation from there prices...
    I bet there are a bunch of snow checks people need to get out of in Nov. Prices are going to come down quick. Hell, at $11k I’ll sell my 19 Ski Doo Summit 175 with 400 miles and 1.5 years of warranty left right now. I think you are looking closer to 8-9k for a sled with 1-2 years of warranty left, maybe even less if we drop into a serious recession.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

An 850 sure would be nice. A slightly used one with 2 year warranty left sounds like what i would have to look for. Are you guys speaking the same dollar language? Cad/USD? Here is Harriet in happier times.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200203_201052_268.jpeg 
Views:	127 
Size:	101.8 KB 
ID:	325269

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    To spring check or not to spring check?

I'm thinking leftover 2020 model at this point....
    u rich?

If so, enjoy!

If not: those things are fucking expensive. Buy a holdover if you want new, or a year old from grandpa who needed new last year.

Snowchecks used to be a lot more 'worth' a few years ago. I'm not sure I see the point these days.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

They have always been a luxury purchase. I've bought leftover before. Financed even. I didn't go broke. No car payment. Will always have a newer one with how much they rip!

Extended warranty seems the only benefit for Doos. And that's only really valuable if you plan to hold onto it for a few years. I'd buy a holdover or minty used if I was in the market next year. The new turbo is sexy, but I don't need it. But if I had the scratch I'd get one!

Same. You almost don't need the extended warranty with how reliable the 850 is at this point. Damn straight I would have one with the turbo.

Same. You almost don't need the extended warranty with how reliable the 850 is at this point. Damn straight I would have one with the turbo.
    Oh if you don't want the whistle then fuck that. Just buy a 2020 850 in some capacity. Just not the first year with the shearing cranks. Which by the way, is actually a reason to not snowcheck. Running changes while someone sits around bored in the spring and changes something on the assembly line without telling anyone.

Warranties are cool but lost riding time is like stealing my first born to me. And I don't have kids. I have skis and sleds instead. Your money, and shiny new things are cool however!
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

We got a 2020.5 in our group. I get my fix. Doing laps on it is no different than a standard 850. Unreal how composed it is. Then when solo FKNA wheelie time.

A good buddy has one of the yellow 850 turbos. You want a warranty with the turbo. I think he is on his 2nd or 3rd warranty replacement ECU.

Will I’ll say the turbo does leave about half as deep of a trench when hill climbing and does things with ease that the rest of us, no matter how long we have been riding, can’t. Another buddy who has been riding since he was 3, he’s almost 40, and is always the king of the hill, just shakes his head cause the turbo crushes.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

U want the warranty on an 850...blow the motor and it’s 8k....on the 800 U can replace a motor for 2.5-3k. 2017- motor mounts, bulkhead brace, cooling- to many things to mention, 18- motor mounts,19 figured out....
    Last edited by teamdirt; 04-15-2020 at 11:09 PM.

Requesting Annual list of TGR-approved "modern" snow scooters. So far my research leads me to believe the following are approved:

2016+ Arctic Cat
    2013+ Ski Doo XM
    2018+ Ski Doo Gen4
    2016+ Polaris Axys

Thoughts?

I would revise to add 2011 to 2012 skidoo XP. They are workhorses and plenty capable with little issue. Fuel injected

I would revise to add 2011 to 2012 skidoo XP. They are workhorses and plenty capable with little issue. Fuel injected
    Same motor But nowhere near the same chassis as a 13.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I know I've owned both. The XP isn't that much different trust me. Saying "nowhere near" is a stretch. Gen4 was the huge change

2014-2016 XM
    2019-2020 G4

2018-G4's are starting to blow up....if it already has a warrantied engine id be more confident but be careful if it doesnt and the warranty is expiring

And its called Arctic for a reason

Quote Originally Posted by teamdirt View Post
    U want the warranty on an 850...blow the motor and it’s 8k....on the 800 U can replace a motor for 2.5-3k. 2017- motor mounts, bulkhead brace, cooling- to many things to mention, 18- motor mounts,19 figured out....
    I priced a reconditioned shortblock for the 850 a couple months ago and I was quoted $3k for the engine and $1k for the dealer install, which is not that far off the PTek shortblocks that I've bought in the past. Dealer install gets you a 1 year warranty. Maybe a brand new engine is $8k, but you don't need one when the reconditioned short blocks that are available directly from Doo. They are as good as brand new IME.

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Requesting Annual list of TGR-approved "modern" snow scooters. So far my research leads me to believe the following are approved:

2016+ Arctic Cat
    2013+ Ski Doo XM
    2018+ Ski Doo Gen4
    2016+ Polaris Axys

Thoughts?
    What are you planning to use the sled primarily for? If it's sled access and/or sled laps, get the Doo. It's more of a "commuter sled" (longest lived motors, better cooling, easiest for beginners to ride, etc.). If you are an experienced mountain rider and want to get the most capable machine for "brapping the gnar" Polaris is probably the ticket. The Cat is a bit of a tweener, but suffers from a lack of dealer support IMO. If there's a great Cat dealer near you, then maybe the Cat is the best of both worlds.

TGR approved seems to be sled skiing scenario.

I see people use a utility or trail sled more than I see big mountain sleds. Boils down to are you breaking trail in deep powder or not? If you need to creep through deep powder even in the trees you had better have a big mountain sled. Sticking to trails a friggin Scandic is the machine to get

Quote Originally Posted by Wapow View Post
    I priced a reconditioned shortblock for the 850 a couple months ago and I was quoted $3k for the engine and $1k for the dealer install, which is not that far off the PTek shortblocks that I've bought in the past. Dealer install gets you a 1 year warranty. Maybe a brand new engine is $8k, but you don't need one when the reconditioned short blocks that are available directly from Doo. They are as good as brand new IME.
    Thx for the info-that is good to know!

2016+ Arctic Cat
    2013+ Ski Doo XM
    2018+ Ski Doo Gen4
    2016+ Polaris Axys

Thoughts?
    That's the expensive (newer sled) list but I'd edit it slightly

2016+ Arctic Cat
    Planted/heavy feeling front end which makes it a little cumbersome just riding around in tight spaces, but that also makes it the best out there for tandem riding, some issues popping up with the 2018-2018 acender motors and clutches, 2016 or 2017 would be my vote, most reliable sled motor ever made

2013-17 Ski Doo XM
    handle wierd, solid motor, decent tandem riding

2019+ Ski Doo Gen4
    first model year had some crank bearing issues, might be fixed, if you find a 2018, ask. Also worth noting is that all but the newest g4s have a gas vent recall on them because they pissed gas when sitting pointed downhill. Apparently fire happened. Easy fix if it hasn't been done.

2018-2020 Polaris Axys 800
    still sorting out a few things on the 850s, give it another year IMO. 2018 got a new thermostat and some reworked electric bits that are worth having

I own a 2018 axys and a 2016 proclimb but ride with a shit ton of doo 850 owners. They all work, they all have their quirks. The best budget sled out there strictly for skiing/tandem laps IMO is a 2009-2011 arctic cat m8. They last forever and being an older, lower center of gravity design, tandem like a cadillac. I sold my 2010 with 4k miles on it with one top end that I didn't even need to do. You can get them cheap now. Just google 'diamond drive bearing' and deal with that and you're golden.

Cool thanks for the input. I own a 2005 M7 so I’m familiar with the M chassis and the reliability of Suzuki motor.

If I upgrade I’d want one of the newer mtn chassis. I put 500mi on my sled this season and maybe 15% of that was trail. I use it to sledski and powsurf but also to brap. I avoid towing skiers at all costs.

The only “new” design I’ve ridden is the XM. It felt capable but I’d need time to get used to the steering. Tandeming XM was fine and better than my M probably due to power and 3” track (my M clutching has never been optimal).

Idea of upgrading would be buying talent. I could get from A to B in moderately technical terrain with the XMs and Gen4s I rode with, but I’d always let them explore the unknown sections first and report back. All sleds punish hesitant riding, but I think it’s more pronounced on older models. Newer ones seem to give you more leeway before you’re totally hosed.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    They all work, they all have their quirks. The best budget sled out there strictly for skiing/tandem laps IMO is a 2009-2011 arctic cat m8. They last forever and being an older, lower center of gravity design, tandem like a cadillac.
    Have heard this from lots of folks. 2012-2015 things changed, or still a good move?
    Drive slow, homie.

Cool thanks for the input. I own a 2005 M7 so I’m familiar with the M chassis and the reliability of Suzuki motor.

If I upgrade I’d want one of the newer mtn chassis. I put 500mi on my sled this season and maybe 15% of that was trail. I use it to sledski and powsurf but also to brap. I avoid towing skiers at all costs.

The only “new” design I’ve ridden is the XM. It felt capable but I’d need time to get used to the steering. Tandeming XM was fine and better than my M probably due to power and 3” track (my M clutching has never been optimal).

Idea of upgrading would be buying talent. I could get from A to B in moderately technical terrain with the XMs and Gen4s I rode with, but I’d always let them explore the unknown sections first and report back. All sleds punish hesitant riding, but I think it’s more pronounced on older models. Newer ones seem to give you more leeway before you’re totally hosed.
    I'd agree with all that but the XM tandems better part. Your clutches are likely beat on your M7. Plus it's probably carbed...plus the XM is a bigger motor with a better track.. When I say 'better for tandeming' I'm strictly talking about comfort standing there with two people and trying to get up dumb shit on something stable just fyi. As far as power delivery consistency and traction, yes pretty much all newer sleds are better than all older sleds.

There's a decent cat/polaris dealer in Ft collins...can't remember the name right now. But yeah buying new, you're paying for dealer support so it kind of matters if their douchebags or not.

Not gonna lie, you're right about buying talent with newer sleds. It's like skis. Yeah it's mostly the same motions just way easier. I've never gotten used to skidoo steering even after owning one. The G4s kick everything previous in the nuts in that regard. They're the closest to the other two and the power delivery is tits on a G4. Just keep in mind that most of the canadians posting here have never ridden anything other than a skidoo, which makes sense if you've seen the dealer network up there in BC. T-motion still sucks for tandeming but that's an easy fix. Newer ctec 800 cats give up nothing to the G4s as far as power and low end torque just fyi. Polaris feels the least torque-y but more fun just riding through trees by yourself. Nothing holds a sidehill like a modern polaris.

If blurred still posted here, he might be able to tell you about riding tandem on an alpha cat. I've never done it but it looks like it would be annoying as hell. That's probably the one chassis I wouldn't buy if you want to do some double riding.

Just some thoughts.

Z: just for skiing? Old m-series still a good move. The later the better. 2010-2011 M8s are the money shot. I've actually been kind of looking for one myself so I can sell one of the ones I have with more value and just take that out for ski days.

for riding sleds only, all the new ones are better IMO

Just don't buy a 2012 arctic cat. One of the biggest dumps ever taken by the snowmobile industry.

I know I've owned both. The XP isn't that much different trust me. Saying "nowhere near" is a stretch. Gen4 was the huge change
    T motion, different front end width and geometry, flex track, different running boards all substantial changes. If I had to choose between a 12 and a 13 summit same mileage, price etc the 13 is a no brainer.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Z: just for skiing? Old m-series still a good move. The later the better. 2010-2011 M8s are the money shot. I've actually been kind of looking for one myself so I can sell one of the ones I have with more value and just take that out for ski days.

for riding sleds only, all the new ones are better IMO

Just don't buy a 2012 arctic cat. One of the biggest dumps ever taken by the snowmobile industry.
    Good info, thanks. Yeah, just for skiing, good amount of tandeming as well.
    Drive slow, homie.