Page 36 of 167 FirstFirst ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ... LastLast
    I'm looking into a 2003 vertical escape 800 159'' track, 4500 mi. supposedly runs good... I've also heard that these years had problems with the crank, was this a better year? Anything I should be looking for specifically on this sled? 4500 mi. is plenty of miles, how many more can I get out of this engine? (Liberty 800)

Quote Originally Posted by cliffhucker View Post
    I'm looking into a 2003 vertical escape 800 159'' track, 4500 mi. supposedly runs good... I've also heard that these years had problems with the crank, was this a better year? Anything I should be looking for specifically on this sled? 4500 mi. is plenty of miles, how many more can I get out of this engine? (Liberty 800)
    don't buy that sled

Just got back and I didn't, why do you say so though?

buying a used sled is like buying a used condom. someone else had all the fun and leaving you with the mess.

Yes and no, ( I already own a sled, and have grown up riding them for the past 10 years) I'm usually the kind that buys new, but sleds depreciate so quick its stupid not to get a used one. A brand new polaris 800 long track can easily cost 12,000+, but last years sled with only 1500 mi. and no major wrecks etc. would be almost half that. Its a sled, its going to get beat up, and I feel much better about high marking and rolling 6,000 vrs. 12000.

This:

My RMK turned into this over the summer, oops. I know I'm gonna miss it!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KLR-2.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	465.5 KB 
ID:	106264

edit== the new attachment dialog window sucks ass
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	e_RMK1999-2.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	285.4 KB 
ID:	106266  

VC is offline Calmer then you are Dude
    Unless it had a bearing update done its a timebomb

Quote Originally Posted by VC View Post
    Unless it had a bearing update done its a timebomb
    The 700s of the era are a lot better in this regard. 20 less horsepower with no increase in gas mileage though. In fact, my 700 usually drinks a good amount more than either of the 800 Polaris sleds I often run with. Still, it has never left me stranded because of the motor in the past 3 winters (about 4000 miles)

Quote Originally Posted by FreakofSnow View Post
    This:

My RMK turned into this over the summer, oops. I know I'm gonna miss it!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KLR-2.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	465.5 KB 
ID:	106264

edit== the new attachment dialog window sucks ass
    Nice choice. Now get some tank guards and a skid plate on that beast. Have you checked the 'doo yet?

Anybody been up to Vail Pass recently? Got some family in town and just looking to do a little road riding and maybe cruise some meadows. Just wondering because it looked pretty rough up there when we drove through to go to Polar Star last weekend.
    go upside down.

Bought one of these 30 minutes ago. 600cc 4 stroke with a 154" x 16" x 1.5" track. It should do well in the deep.

Mine will look like that but have a back rest for the passenger.
    Last edited by Beaver; 12-19-2011 at 06:34 PM.
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    buying a used sled is like buying a used condom. someone else had all the fun and leaving you with the mess.
    Do you just click on every sled thread and post that because you STILL think it's funny?

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
    Bought one of these 30 minutes ago. 600cc 4 stroke

Which turbo kit are you going with?

No plans to turbo. Yet. I'm using it for touring access so massive speed is not an issue. It'll have enough power to get me and my wife into the Valhallas.
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

No plans to turbo. Yet. I'm using it for touring access so massive speed is not an issue.
    Turbos.... not about speed They're about getting THERE. Wherever THERE happens to be on that given day!! That thing is gonna be sweet, you'll love it, but I would NOT turbo it if you ever get to that point. There are a bunch of sleds that take boost well, but boosting the 600etec is a bit wasteful. (any 600 really)

You'll do great with that just the way it sits!

That's the 600 ACE motor, I think - four stroke, 60hp, quiet, allegedly 22mpg.

I think that's a pretty fantastic get-you-to-it sled. Articulated skid...mmmmm, back up out of holes. 154x16w, shrug, I think sleds like that are way underrated for access skiing.

Went to Wolf Creek last weekend in search of skiing. I found exactly where the skiing is not, but had a good time regardless; having actual SNOW under the track made the 4hr drive worthwhile.

Iain

No plans to turbo. Yet. I'm using it for touring access so massive speed is not an issue. It'll have enough power to get me and my wife into the Valhallas.
    Wait, you intentionally bought a 600cc 4 stroke with no plans to turbo it? I don't understand.

Just kidding man. Congrats!

Pretty damn stoked, just got a 2 page spread in "On Snow Magazine"

oh snap!

doughboyshredder Guest
    Nadia, so hot, such a badass.

Damn I wish we had that kind of above tree line access down here.
    Yes, I know there is some, however up there it's the rule not the exception.

doughboyshredder Guest
    I hear ya. And to get above treeline most anywhere around here requires some serious skills. Skills that I don't have, and don't have the patience to develop.

That's a sick photo Nads.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Do you just click on every sled thread and post that because you STILL think it's funny?
    There's nothing funny about people trying to pawn off large ticking time bomb turds that are going to be nothing but headaches for the suckers who buy them. Kind of like buying a used DH bike.

Thank you all for the kind words! That photo is from last April actually, and it was a suuuuper cloudy, overcast day with the worst light ever. We had about 2 minutes of sun poke through a slit in the clouds and managed to get 3-4 hits in on this ridge. This is my first 2 page spread, I'm pretty darn stoked and excited to see the hard copy version! It's cool they were willing to run a photo of a girl, hopefully that means more in the future and it becomes more commonplace.

It's funny about the 2nd hand sleds, because I'm having to sell mine and wont have enough money for new so I have to buy 2nd hand... just slightly new/er than mine. Old sleds CAN work fine for people, depending on who rode it, how it was maintained and who bought it/how they're riding it. Tobin had this POS 98' skidoo that he called the millenium falcon that he got for free and somehow miraculously got away without putting any money into it all winter. That thing was trippling people up stuff that some guys couldn't double on their rigs. It's varies over so many factors. New sleds are between 12-14,000$ new BEFORE Tax... when you figure you can get a sled thats two years old for 6 or $7,000 (half the price) it can be a good deal, even if you do put parts/money in to it.

Some people simply don't have the cash up front, or don't want to finance. My first sled was 2nd hand, the next was an older year model spring clearance sale. (9,000 instead of 13,000) Its tough.. especially out here. Some sleds get ridden a lot harder sometimes than others. Some guys don't maintain their sleds, or ride them at constant full pin. At the same time, some people just like touring the ice cap all day which is fairly low impact on the sled. Tough call, best to try to get an idea of what the owner used it for and how they maintained it, and realistically look at what you want to do with it/how long you want to keep it.

Ironically I'm pretty hard on my sled, but my first engine blew at 900km, and my 2nd engine in it is now at 6000km and still super strong/even at 150/150 compression. Usually top ends go at ~4000km. Super surprised.. but I still bought the extra year warranty just incase.