Page 25 of 167 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast
    ^^ Nice.

Spring riding is almost as fun as deep pow riding mid winter. New riding opportunities open up and avy danger is much lower. Have had some good sled days this month so far.

Quote Originally Posted by ^^^ View Post
    ^^ Nice.

Spring riding is almost as fun as deep pow riding mid winter. New riding opportunities open up and avy danger is much lower. Have had some good sled days this month so far.
    I keep summerizing my sled thinking it's over and touring season is on, then it pukes. The trailheads have been abandoned and I've ridden the deepest snow of the season multiple times in April and May. x2 on some good lines opening up with a thick pack.

Now, who's gonna buy my Skidoo so I can get a ditch pickle (AC) next season?

Last ride of the season Whittier, AK

I'm not a good fotog but he's a pretty good rider

really can't even try to explain how big this is

Fist full of frozen rivers feeding Blackstone Bay

So long for the season.

dude, sick. where at? valdez? mountains dont look familiar to me

We've won it. It's going to get better now. You can sort of tell these things.

Nice...

GoNads, that looked like fun.
    you have the same issue I do with my POV.
    Cant wait to see the footage when you get the angle straightened out.

I'm sure the pictures don't even began to give it justice Loon.
    Just curious. Why does that mark the end of the season?
    Are the access points melted out?

Jebuz,

It appears that Winter Wildlands Alliance (along with anyone else who will sign on) is proposing in short, to eliminate Winter cross country travel for snowmobiles from all national forest lands.

[ame="http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=220205"]http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=220205[/ame]

^^^ Scary. Scarier still is how much $ the Winter Wildlands Alliance gets from companies that make backcountry gear. If you use a snowmobile to access the bc, I'd suggest staying away from the following companies: http://www.winterwildlands.org/about/corporate.php

Another company who is pretty open about supporting non-motorized access is Leki.

Yeah, the SKI POLE company that makes devices for people to use after they got dropped off on top of the mountain by a CHAIRLIFT.

grrrr. Sure, they make walking sticks and other neato devices (and I do like their poles), but they're pretty pro "human-powered."

That's ok, opinions are had, everyone has one, everyone has the right, but I'm not buying any more Leki products.

Iain

http://www.boiseweekly.com/boise/mar...nt?oid=1283089

Would you say the majority of the issues you deal with are snowmobile-skier related?

Yes. We're making headway. One of our biggest issues right now is the Forest Service travel management plans, which prescribe where motorized vehicle use is or is not appropriate. There was a new rule that came out in 2005 that sort of directs all of this, and it limits off-road vehicle use to designated routes and trails or areas. It's been great in controlling wheeled ORV use, ATVs and dirt bikes and whatnot, and eliminating cross-country travel, but the rule excludes snowmobiles, or their term is "over-snow vehicles." And so it allows each forest, if they choose to manage winter use and snowmobiles they can, but they don't have to, and so that's one of our biggest issues right now is trying to convince the Forest Service at the national level to do away with that loophole for snowmobiles. And also to work at the forest level to convince each forest to choose to manage winter use. The Clearwater National Forest right now is putting together their travel plan. They have chosen to manage winter use and their draft plan is a really good, well-balanced plan, leaving a lot of area open for snowmobiles, but also protecting other large areas for non-motorized use.

What are the impacts of snowmobiles?

Treetop damage. There's soil compaction, especially when they ride them on low snow levels. And the issue for us that really comes to bear is quiet. We believe that the natural sights and sounds of winter, and especially quiet, that's a resource that the Forest Service should be managing. There needs to be places where we can go into the backcountry and find quiet, get away from all of the city noise. So that's an impact that clearly snowmobiles have. And then there's the air quality issue, which in a place like Yellowstone, where you have snowmobiles confined in one area, it can be a huge impact.

So go in the backcountry where snowmobiles are not allowed. For any group to see themselves as more important than another is wrong. We all pay our taxes to use the land.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathematics View Post
    dude, sick. where at? valdez? mountains dont look familiar to me
    Its Whittier dude, and its off the charts sickness.

Quote Originally Posted by AlpenChronicHabitual View Post
    Nice...

I'm sure the pictures don't even began to give it justice Loon.
    Just curious. Why does that mark the end of the season?
    Are the access points melted out?
    The access is probably good for another 2-3 weeks this year but the forrest service shut things down the last weekend in May. Many people up here wanted things to stay open another week so that we could say we had ridden (legally) in June.

Still a few places to get your game on but none of them legal for sleds. Shit, you could basicly ski to the road up on Turnagain through the entire month of June this year.

Been starting to look at sleds for this season and came across this one on cl.

Might be able to get a good deal if I package it with the trailer.

Will be more of a backup to a newer Nytro.

Guy says it has roughly 4,000 miles, no major engine or drivetrain mods, and has never been stranded.

Any advice/past experience with this or similar sleds? How's the price?

http://denver.craigslist.org/rvs/1915747822.html
    go upside down.

$1850 for a 00 MM is a bit steep esp w/ 4000 miles . Top end been rebuilt ? if you toast a piston and the jug wall gets dinged you have to buy a 3 cylinder jug instead of a single jug costing 3x as much . If it hasnt been rebuilt offer less like $1400 . Yamaha triple is a pretty good engine for reliability though . Similar year sleds with half the miles is the asking price .

The lefty throttle is a fad from that era so its moot for price . Keep it on lock most/all of the time . Lefty is only good for sidehilling your weak side . If you are down in a "shithole" (term for place idiots drop into and spend all day trying to get out)
    and the only way out is weak side hill side , you use it for that .

And the triple pipes ? debatable . Noisier for sure . The only extra worth anything is riser bar .

What you are looking in 1999,00,01 is 700 Polaris , 670 700 Ski Doo , or Yami MM 700. Original owner , wifes sled , stock , 2000 miles or less . $1800 or less.

My buddy got a 99 670 Ski Doo , 1800 miles , 2 belts , 3 gallons of oil , and extra skis for $1400 last year . Those extras are worth $ .

Sled shopping gets good in early December because Xmas is coming and the goose is gettin fat . Some dude needs to sell something for presents stat . His wife quit riding 5 years ago .

Just checked out the sled (http://denver.craigslist.org/rvs/1915747822.html) and it seems to be in pretty good condition.

A few things stuck out though and I wanted to see if they were a big deal or just something you're going to see with all sleds that have this much usage.

The track had some cracks in it, both at the base of some of the paddles and also on the track in between the paddles. Is this a major concern or something that happens a lot?

Also, there was a bit of oil between a section of triple pipe. It was pretty black and looked like it had been there for a while (maybe just spilled?). Again, something major to worry about or pretty common?

Started right up on first pull without any sputtering, which I thought was a good sign.

I was thinking of offering $1400 for the sled or $2200 for the sled/trailer package. Does this sound fair/lowball/too much?

Does this look like a better deal? Is the 136 track going to be horrendous in any sort of soft snow?

http://denver.craigslist.org/rvs/1923908485.html
    go upside down.

^^^ thats a pretty good deal at that price but you will find a serious lack of handeling and control with those old MM's. If your just using it for trail access to the skin track that would be a good (relatively) reliable ride but with a short track and the tubby front end it definately won't be able to make it on deeper days up much.

My new baby.

Is it snowing yet?
    go upside down.

You chose well sir!

The M8 is a great sled for reliability, and something that actually has some competence in the snow. Too many access riders buy phazers or nytros which will get you around well at Vail pass, but are pretty useless nearly anywhere else. If you want any tips on that sled, shoot me a PM. I've got outrageous amounts of parts & knowledge regarding those sleds, and could help you with setup as well as the "after" side of things.

Picked up my new sled from Thin Air in Truckee yesterday. She looks real fast.

000000 miles. Never had anything that said that before. I almost don't even want to put it back in the truck for fear it will say 000001 when I put it in the garage.

Check out that rear end.

I wasn't to stoked on the Silver color but it is growing on me. I may even like it a bit more than red.

Give me a couple more weeks of this great weather and then it start puking the second week in November. Since the world revolves around me you all know that since I bought a new sled it's going to be a drought year.

Peel off all the Nascar stickers and you'll be in love.
    `•.¸¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.? ??´¯`•...¸><((((º>

"Having been Baptized by uller his frosty air now burns my soul with confirmation. I am once again pure." - frozenwater

"once i let go of my material desires many opportunities for playing with the planet emerge. emerge - to come into being through evolution. ok back to work - i gotta pack." - Slaag Master

"As for Flock of Seagulls, everytime that song comes up on my ipod, I turn it up- way up." - goldenboy

Need a new sled this year, anyone have something reasonably cheap they'd like to sell?
    Drive slow, homie.

Quote Originally Posted by Z View Post
    Need a new sled this year, anyone have something reasonably cheap they'd like to sell?
    I've got a racer for sale... 600 mod snopro... PERRRRRRfect access sled!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 45hill View Post
    Picked up my new sled from Thin Air in Truckee yesterday. She looks real fast.

000000 miles. Never had anything that said that before. I almost don't even want to put it back in the truck for fear it will say 000001 when I put it in the garage.

Check out that rear end.

I wasn't to stoked on the Silver color but it is growing on me. I may even like it a bit more than red.

Give me a couple more weeks of this great weather and then it start puking the second week in November. Since the world revolves around me you all know that since I bought a new sled it's going to be a drought year.

Rad!! You are going to love that thing
    Hello darkness my old friend

Quote Originally Posted by backcountryislife View Post
    I've got a racer for sale... 600 mod snopro... PERRRRRRfect access sled!!!
    toooo big. Z is only looking for 440 fan's

and Z needs a two-up, so he and his boyfriend can ride in STYLE

Quote Originally Posted by Z View Post
    You can have a sled similar to Blurreds

Going to have a carbed 04 Arctic Cat Mountain Cat 900 with a 162" Challenenger up for sale in a couple months. Motor is apart right now, will have a trued/welded crank and new top-end including all new gaskets with receipts. Both driveshaft bearings were just replaced last season, chaincase flushed and refilled.

$3200.00 OBO

SLP Ceramic Coated Twin Pipes/Silencer
    SLP Air Box w/ Custom Snorkel to Speedo Hole
    SLP Powder Pro Skis
    SLP Skid Plate
    SLP Flow-Rite Intake Kit
    V-Force 3 Reeds
    Team Rapid Reaction Secondary
    WRP Running Boards
    Boss Seat
    Avid Anti-Ratchet Drivers
    9" 2 Wheel Kit w/ Offset Axle
    3"Handle Bar Riser
    Sledjunky Drop Brackets
    Ice Scratchers
    Anti-Stab Kit
    Cover
    Last edited by JTrue; 10-15-2010 at 07:22 PM.

Not sure if I'll have a sled this season after I sell the one above, but saw this over on Snowest.

How to prepare yourself for Snowmobiling

1. Go to your local snowmobile repair shop, smile and give the first guy you

see $200. This will get you used to spending money there on a regular basis.

2. Fill a 50-gallon barrel with sand. Lower it into a hole. Now lift it out.

If you can, add water to the sand and try it again. Do this 5 times per day.

This will get your back in shape for lifting your sled out of the deep snow.

3. Tie a rope to a heavy-duty spring. Pull the rope repeatedly with each arm

until the pain in your shoulders meets somewhere in middle your back. This

will get you in shape for starting your buds sled, which he conveniently

forgot was out of gas.It's best to do this exercise while someone is

spraying starting fluid into your nose and eyes also.

4. Drink four ounces of cod liver oil mixed with a strong laxative. Dress

with long underwear, wool pants, snowmobile bibs, insulated boots and heavy

coat. Walk far into the woods without any paper products and wait for a

personal emergency. This get you prepare for the Beer s***s that come out of

nowhere, and at the wrong time.

5. Place your hands in a bucket of ice water for 20 minutes. Put the

carburetor from your lawn mower in the bottom of your deep freeze.Now climb

in the deep freeze, shut the lid and overhaul it while holding a pen light

in your mouth. This gets you prepared to work on your sled in the freezing

cold and black of night. Advanced riders do this with a leatherman tool

7. Dress up in your new $350 snowmobile bibs. Pour 2 stroke oil down the

right leg, gasoline down the other and Peppermint Schnapps and Beer all

over the front. Fill your boots with ice cubes and ask your wife or

girlfriend to dance. This will prepare her for the stops at the local bar

after a ride.

8. Put on a Balaclava and a full-face helmet. Attempt to drink hot chocolate

through the opening. Advanced riders attempt this while riding a lawn

tractor over in the nearest farmers' field.

9. Find a place where you can pay $4.50 a gallon for regular gas; $19.99

per quart of oil; $16 for a hamburger and frozen French fries; $3 for a coke

and $160 to sleep in a cold cabin on a bed with springs sticking through the

mattress. Stay for two nights, minimum. This will prepare you on the high

cost of your future winter trips.

10. Practice explaining to your banker why you need another loan for a

$60,000 truck to pull the four $20,000 toys, in your $19,000 trailer that

you still owe $50,000 on.

Now, you are 50% ready, and somewhat conditioned to head for the trails and

ride your sled.