Page 56 of 116 FirstFirst ... 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ... LastLast
Results 1,376 to 1,400 of 2884
  1. #1376
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Your Mom's House
    Posts
    6,308
    Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    PS - may as well post my sledneck singles classified here:

    Wanted: sled skiing partner(s) in CO.

    Most of my sled ski friends have moved away to become doctors & lawyers (seriously), and the remaining group members are now born-again slednecks (TURBOS, diesel trucks, wooooo!!!!).

    Me:
    -25 years old
    -Front range weekend warrior (w/flex time and generous vacation policy)
    -Avy savvy
    -Own and can ride M7 better than most grandmothers
    -Own a bitchin' lightweight aluminum two place trailer w/ramps that will save your back when loading/unloading
    -Happy to use sleds to access zones for skin laps, or towing braap laps
    -Accomplished sled excavator

    But seriously, it's really embarrassing when I show up at the trailhead with my two-place carrying one lonely sled . I'd really like to get back to Kebler and Buff Pass this year and explore some other zones as well. If any mags wanna get after it, holler.
    I haven't convinced most of my friends to get sleds yet, so I'm definitely interested in getting out. Experienced BC skier, avy savy, total beater on a sled. Front range weekend warrior status as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    All ye punterz! Leave thine stupid heavy skis in the past, or at least in the resort category, for the age of lightweight pussy sticks is upon us! Behold! Keep up with the randocommandos on their carbon blades of shortness! Break thine tibias into spiral splinters with pintech extravagance!

  2. #1377
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    5,980
    ^^^

    That vid should be mandatory watching for anyone thinking about getting a sled. That type of stuck happen on the regular especially early season. Add a $500 repair bill on and you've got the trifecta of fucked up sled, fucked up body, and big time stuck.

    I think the whole "what is the minimum sled that will work" thing comes down to what you are doing. Are you just riding 2-up into a meadow on roads then skinning? Are you experienced buddies with better sled going in and building roads early season? Are you seriously boondocking looking for new zones?

    We do a lot of #2. Going in with snowshoes and building trails in the willows and packing out the sidehills to our favorite zones. Once the trails are in, $1K beater sleds can make it in. It gets kinda old on the dudes with the good sleds doing the hard work however.

    Sled wise, I'm not a homer for any brand. We don't have a good ski doo dealer so I keep that in consideration. For $3-4K you can get a non-A arm sled (M7/8/1000, RMK, Rev) with hopefully low miles. This seems to be the best you can do for value.

  3. #1378
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    RM trench
    Posts
    1,980
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    I think the whole "what is the minimum sled that will work" thing comes down to what you are doing. Are you just riding 2-up into a meadow on roads then skinning? Are you experienced buddies with better sled going in and building roads early season? Are you seriously boondocking looking for new zones?

    We do a lot of #2. Going in with snowshoes and building trails in the willows and packing out the sidehills to our favorite zones. Once the trails are in, $1K beater sleds can make it in. It gets kinda old on the dudes with the good sleds doing the hard work however.
    FWIW think I'd be doing mostly 1. Couple buddies here do have a sleds but realistically I won't be going many places without prior sled traffic. Def not #3. The exception is there are a few ski zones up on glaciers here that have steep pitches to get up. I don't like the idea of buying/selling/upgrading sleds every year, it'd be nice to get something that would see me for a few years.


    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Sled wise, I'm not a homer for any brand. We don't have a good ski doo dealer so I keep that in consideration. For $3-4K you can get a non-A arm sled (M7/8/1000, RMK, Rev) with hopefully low miles. This seems to be the best you can do for value.
    I think prices here in Canada are a bit higher than you guys are quoting. "Non A-arm" you mean with a trailing arm going back from the ski? In my brief looks so far, I haven't seen many without that for $3k, seem to be closer to $5k & up. I get that the older sleds won't handle as nice, but surely they'd be fine for a cheaper mostly access sled?

    Low miles, I'e been told to only look at <5,000km? 3-4000 km (~4-5,000mi) seem common enough, no doubt there are low mile sleds that sell quicker also.

    Re engine size, again I get the 600-7-800s all weigh similar. How about a 1000 for a newbie? Too much?
    Last edited by jamesp; 01-14-2014 at 09:47 AM.

  4. #1379
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    tourin BC
    Posts
    2,780
    I paid $3000 for a summit 1000 with 3000km, so deals exist. there are 2 more here for $3400 and $4000 with a few extras, mine was stock. just how I like my sleds. far less issues and far easier to fix when your not chasing a 8 year old after market clutch kit.

    a few pages back everyone was saying "don't get a 1000!" but we trandum on it just fine with 3 snowboards too. it makes a great trail breaker and a solid machine for highmark tandum drops.
    I don't blow belts, chains or anything like that, only broke shocky springs on the skid ...

    yes yes its a big heavy machine that sucks to get stuck, but with a 162 track its a great cheap machine ...
    We, the RATBAGGERS, formally axcept our duty is to trigger avalaches on all skiers ...

  5. #1380
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    RM trench
    Posts
    1,980
    where are the advertised? kijiji, CL, or just at the dealer? Good to know I'll be able to find something in budget.

  6. #1381
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Trouserville
    Posts
    14,380
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    where are the advertised? kijiji, CL, or just at the dealer? Good to know I'll be able to find something in budget.
    I would definitely figure out your import tax situation. If you can get down into Idaho/Montana/eastern Washington, those areas are absolutely saturated with better deals. It might not be worth it but it's worth checking into. I've bought two sleds from rocky mountain states (I live in Tahoe) and even with a 9-ish% sales tax upon registration and gas, they still ended up being cheaper.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

  7. #1382
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    20 steps from the hot tub
    Posts
    3,657
    Sled forums have lots of threads about importing sleds to Canada.

    Seems to be worth the hassle and expense if buying a recent model year, not so much once you get down to the under $4,000 price range.
    "Good girls go to heaven. Bad ones go to hell. And girls on fast bikes go anywhere they want." Elena

  8. #1383
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    invermere
    Posts
    558
    been sledding for over 30 years, all sleds cost money eventually, when and how much depends on the user. most reliable sleds I've seen over the years are 1997-2003 summits, (the 99 summit x with reverse is one of the best $1500 sleds you will buy) m7 will cost a little more(got mine for 3500) but newer style chassis and bomb proof motor( 162 track is the only way to go) and the rev 600( reverse but longest track is 144)

    The key to buying is buy stock, no mods, lady driven and ridden in the prairies. Mountain riding kicks the crap out the chassis and suspension.

    from my experience utility sleds are like mopeds get you there but no fun.

  9. #1384
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    RM trench
    Posts
    1,980
    pano-dude you know this area... will something like a $1500 99 Summit keep me happy for a primarily access sled around here, double/towing a fair bit? Any issues getting parts for older sleds like that?

  10. #1385
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    780
    Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    PS - may as well post my sledneck singles classified here:

    Wanted: sled skiing partner(s) in CO.

    Most of my sled ski friends have moved away to become doctors & lawyers (seriously), and the remaining group members are now born-again slednecks (TURBOS, diesel trucks, wooooo!!!!).

    Me:
    -25 years old
    -Front range weekend warrior (w/flex time and generous vacation policy)
    -Avy savvy
    -Own and can ride M7 better than most grandmothers
    -Own a bitchin' lightweight aluminum two place trailer w/ramps that will save your back when loading/unloading
    -Happy to use sleds to access zones for skin laps, or towing braap laps
    -Accomplished sled excavator

    But seriously, it's really embarrassing when I show up at the trailhead with my two-place carrying one lonely sled . I'd really like to get back to Kebler and Buff Pass this year and explore some other zones as well. If any mags wanna get after it, holler.
    Hey,

    Im also 25 and own a 2004 Doo summit 800 and live south of Denver near cherry creek reservoir. I work downtown. Also avy savy, and have all gear including a float pack. I have tons of BC days under my belt, but I don't get out on my sled nearly as much as I would like, and I am still learning...ie..the sled is better than I am. Let me know if you want to get out sometime. Send me a PM or something and Ill get back to ya..

    Jordan

  11. #1386
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Morrison, CO
    Posts
    464
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    pano-dude you know this area... will something like a $1500 99 Summit keep me happy for a primarily access sled around here, double/towing a fair bit? Any issues getting parts for older sleds like that?
    Not sure about location, I'm in CO, but I had a 99 670x for a few seasons - it was a decent sled. No reverse & a 136" track stock, it was not a great trailbreaker, but with risers on it, it had no trouble at ALL tandeming on established roads.

    I also had an 03 ZX chassis - the ZX is much better than the S chassis, IMHO - but the S (up to 99) can absolutely do it, and the 670 rotary valve motor has plenty of power.


    Iain

  12. #1387
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Your Mom's House
    Posts
    6,308
    Quote Originally Posted by skiracer88_00 View Post
    Hey,

    Im also 25 and own a 2004 Doo summit 800 and live south of Denver near cherry creek reservoir. I work downtown. Also avy savy, and have all gear including a float pack. I have tons of BC days under my belt, but I don't get out on my sled nearly as much as I would like, and I am still learning...ie..the sled is better than I am. Let me know if you want to get out sometime. Send me a PM or something and Ill get back to ya..

    Jordan
    Wanna go snowmobiling this weekend? Saturday?

  13. #1388
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Boulder
    Posts
    963
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    I haven't convinced most of my friends to get sleds yet, so I'm definitely interested in getting out. Experienced BC skier, avy savy, total beater on a sled. Front range weekend warrior status as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by skiracer88_00 View Post
    Let me know if you want to get out sometime. Send me a PM or something and Ill get back to ya..

    Jordan
    Sweeeeet. I'm all booked this weekend but I'll shoot out some PMs sometime next week.

  14. #1389
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    invermere
    Posts
    558
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    pano-dude you know this area... will something like a $1500 99 Summit keep me happy for a primarily access sled around here, double/towing a fair bit? Any issues getting parts for older sleds like that?
    for sure, my kids 670 has been on catamount glacier, and thunderwater lake. 2 of the bigger pulls you'll need to do to access the goods.

    lots of parts for these sleds.

    I would expect to put out some money initially. is it local? not a bad idea to take it renegade if possible and have mike assess what it will need. Most used sleds need a really good servicing. Clutches cleaned and new springs, new belt, carb service, chaincase service, probably going to run $500 but will help to keep it off the end of a rope. money well spent

  15. #1390
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    RM trench
    Posts
    1,980
    Just asking hypothetical q's, haven't looked hard enough yet. Hoping to get something for next winter. Let me know if you hear of any decent used sleds for sale.

  16. #1391
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    tourin BC
    Posts
    2,780
    everyone still luv's the old 670's ...

    I hear so many fond memory stories about these going everywhere, great reliability, easy and cheap to fix.

    snowforever has tradumed on 1. 2 guys on 1 guy towing was easy he says ...

    kijiji is top dollar, shit, guys are asking about the same for a 670 that I paid for a 2005 rev 1000cc
    We, the RATBAGGERS, formally axcept our duty is to trigger avalaches on all skiers ...

  17. #1392
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    RM trench
    Posts
    1,980
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadam View Post
    kijiji is top dollar, shit, guys are asking about the same for a 670 that I paid for a 2005 rev 1000cc
    yeah kijiji prices def seemed higher than I expected. But then I figured the good deals go quick & anything left advertised is the the over-priced stuff.

    There are a few ad's for early-2000's Polaris 800s. Are they worthwhile? or better to hold out for a Skidoo to come up?

  18. #1393
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Uber Alles California
    Posts
    3,763
    all brands of sleds are good. Some sleds are headaches regardless of brand. Dont believe the hype.

    "Oh really? Everyone I know that owns a XXXXX hates it and they all blow up after 10 miles"

    Whatever....

  19. #1394
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Morrison, CO
    Posts
    464
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadam View Post
    everyone still luv's the old 670's ...

    I hear so many fond memory stories about these going everywhere, great reliability, easy and cheap to fix.

    snowforever has tradumed on 1. 2 guys on 1 guy towing was easy he says ...

    kijiji is top dollar, shit, guys are asking about the same for a 670 that I paid for a 2005 rev 1000cc

    Yeah, I like me my 670s....but an 05 1000 is about onemillion times better than a 670x.

    I practically gave my 1000 away, but it went to a skier, so that's OK. The 1000 has a bad rap - not justified if you ask me, mine was bomber - but yeah.

    The 670 is a good deal, for a cheap price (I think I sold mine for $900 3 years ago - but I'm a REALLY GOOD guy to buy stuff from, I pay normal price, fix EVERYTHING, then sell it for cheap....super). A ZX is better, rev better still - by a LOT - but 670xs don't _suck_.

    Dunno about other brands. I'm a Doo guy because a good friend works at a Doo shop. Simple. I'm pretty sure all of them suck sometimes.



    Iain

  20. #1395
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    invermere
    Posts
    558
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    yeah kijiji prices def seemed higher than I expected. But then I figured the good deals go quick & anything left advertised is the the over-priced stuff.

    There are a few ad's for early-2000's Polaris 800s. Are they worthwhile? or better to hold out for a Skidoo to come up?
    I would wait until spring, big savings. 800 polaris are grenades, crank issues. My buddy has one, I think he's on motor 5...... and he's a mechanic. Lol.



    Sent from my SGH-I337M using TGR Forums

  21. #1396
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Whistler
    Posts
    1,628
    Early season snowmobiling with my friend Vera here in Whistler:



    99% of people ride 800s here. Sorry but your utility sled wouldnt be getting you anywhere on a pow day, although it would be most amusing to watch someone try to double up the gauntlet or S-Chute on one.

    Long tracks, 2.5-3" paddles and 800cc's of pure awesome is the simplest way to git'er done and down the rad-gnar.

  22. #1397
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Morrison, CO
    Posts
    464
    Quote Originally Posted by GoNads View Post
    99% of people ride 800s here. Sorry but your utility sled wouldnt be getting you anywhere on a pow day
    Ride an XU/etec/1.75" track. Totally different kind of utility.

  23. #1398
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Trouserville
    Posts
    14,380
    I feel like mannix keeps trying to sell everybody rax skis.

    You just don't know man!! Gotta try'em! It's a revolution!
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

  24. #1399
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Morrison, CO
    Posts
    464
    ugh, I know, don't know why I care, does not matter @ end of day.

    I'm skiing tomorrow, off a utility. Glad Colorado is flat, with roads everywharrrrrrr....


    Iain (errr, hmmm, what we're doing tomorrow could be done off a 300cc trail sled.....hah)

  25. #1400
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    7,235
    Quote Originally Posted by GoNads View Post
    Early season snowmobiling with my friend Vera here in Whistler:



    99% of people ride 800s here. Sorry but your utility sled wouldnt be getting you anywhere on a pow day, although it would be most amusing to watch someone try to double up the gauntlet or S-Chute on one.

    Long tracks, 2.5-3" paddles and 800cc's of pure awesome is the simplest way to git'er done and down the rad-gnar.

    Pehota says he drove a Tundra up the S chute 20 yrs ago... but it was considered a pretty big feat back then. Now its just another blip in the daily commute because modern technology has evolved and we now have big powerful mtn sleds! Using a tool for its intended purpose is common sense, but there's one in every crowd, so to speak.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •