Page 88 of 167 FirstFirst ... 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 ... LastLast
Results 2,176 to 2,200 of 4154
    Very nice. Running my '08 Summit 800 again this year. 2nd year of riding and really stoked on it.
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Maggot snowmobile thread

Sweet! Just tore off the tarp and cover and opened a few panels, after walking the hound this evening. Upgrading the seat and a ski rack. '14 summit 600. No more sore back from an old Polaris Indy lite!

This will be my 3rd winter, last year finally got to the level of being able to ride well enough to really start getting into the places with good terrain . As well did more sled skiing and assisted touring. Want to get that kicked into high gear this year.

Im going to add to my collection of first ascents and descents on my 850.

So who knows about two-stroke engines? My question is should I get the top-end rebuilt this fall, or do a tune-up and keep it running on the old pistons for another year?

My 2007 RMK 900 has been a champ as long as I've owned it and thrashed it. It's nearly 10 years old with about 2,750 miles on the engine. The engine has purred for years with minimal maintenance, although last year I noticed a slight variance in the throttle response. I tried doing a compression test on the pistons. The engine apparently has a 'decompression valve' that lowers the compression to allow it to be started with a pull crank. The left piston pulled up to 90psi when I pulled on the pull-start, but it bled off to 0psi. The right piston got up to 60psi with the pull start, then bled off to 0psi. I started it with the left piston running only and compression tester on the right piston, and got around 120psi with the right piston. Based on snowest forum pages, 90psi and 120psi are in the correct ballpark numbers. I didn't try running the engine on the right piston only to measure the left cylinder. I may try that tonight. There are cracks in the rubber throttle body connector. I've heard that can cause the engine to run funny so I'm going to replace it. I know I should do a top-end sometime soon, but lazyness has me thinking I should go another year as-is.

Also, is anyone selling a used Cheetah Rack or similar?

I want to braaaap now!!!!

Picked up a skidoo xm 163 t3 so I can climb vertical faces and huck huge cliffs. Or do I need a turbo to do that ?

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    I want to braaaap now!!!!

Picked up a skidoo xm 163 t3 so I can climb vertical faces and huck huge cliffs. Or do I need a turbo to do that ?
    I just what there to be enough snow so I can begin the process of learning to braaaap.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerome View Post
    So who knows about two-stroke engines? My question is should I get the top-end rebuilt this fall, or do a tune-up and keep it running on the old pistons for another year?

My 2007 RMK 900 has been a champ as long as I've owned it and thrashed it. It's nearly 10 years old with about 2,750 miles on the engine. The engine has purred for years with minimal maintenance, although last year I noticed a slight variance in the throttle response. I tried doing a compression test on the pistons. The engine apparently has a 'decompression valve' that lowers the compression to allow it to be started with a pull crank. The left piston pulled up to 90psi when I pulled on the pull-start, but it bled off to 0psi. The right piston got up to 60psi with the pull start, then bled off to 0psi. I started it with the left piston running only and compression tester on the right piston, and got around 120psi with the right piston. Based on snowest forum pages, 90psi and 120psi are in the correct ballpark numbers. I didn't try running the engine on the right piston only to measure the left cylinder. I may try that tonight. There are cracks in the rubber throttle body connector. I've heard that can cause the engine to run funny so I'm going to replace it. I know I should do a top-end sometime soon, but lazyness has me thinking I should go another year as-is.

Also, is anyone selling a used Cheetah Rack or similar?
    Meh. It's a Polaris motor with vastly different compression between cylinders. It's fiiinnne. What could go wrong?

do a top end

now
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Hehe, good point.

Hey, is it as simple as it looks? Eight head bolts, a couple radiator lines, a couple electric plugs, and six exhaust bolts to get to the pistons? Then replace pistons, gaskets and torque bolts correctly? It looks like a couple evenings worth of work. Maybe easier than pulling the whole engine.

Ok, to answer my own question, I think it is as easy as it looks.

Assuming the cylinders are in spec and ,the crank is good. Way more work if you need to take it down to the crank.

Yeah it's not that complicated. Just make absolutely sure you drain all the coolant and don't get any in the case when you pull the cylinders. Once you get the jugs pulled, keep a towel over the case because it likes to pull things in (like wrist pins and roller bearings). It seem like a pain in the ass as you figure out all the shit you have to disconnect but it all goes back together way faster.

Use a torque wrench for the headbolts and follow the pattern when tightening. Unless you think you need to check the crank, there's zero reason to go beyond the cylinders.

Make fashionable highball mugs out of the pistons when you're done.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Yeah, I'm convinced, I'll change the pistons. I have no idea how to check the crank, but nothing indicates the motor has any major issues right now. Top end parts are about $300, which is cheap insurance for another 5+ years of abuse. I saw another video where the guy put paper towels in the crankcase to prevent losing the circlips and roller bearings too. He also measured the diameter of the piston walls and spacing of the piston rings. I assume I can get away with using stock pistons if the piston walls still look like they are in good shape. I have to look on my old computer to see if I have a pdf of the shop manual, otherwise I have to go search for the torque specs. Fun things to do with all the free time I don't have

ah just blow it and spend 4k on a new engine like I did

Forget a new engine, new sled is where it’s at!

Haha, the new sled money was already spent on the new kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerome View Post
    Haha, the new sled money was already spent on the new kid.
    You got the receipt still, right?

Its the no refund or exchange policy that gets you every time.

Well so much for waiting, walked into the dealer today to pickup some parts for my sled, walked out the owner of a new 2018.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EF28FEB4-EFFD-4EF1-9F5D-D5D3742D439A.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	481.2 KB 
ID:	214607

Pretty!!!

Quote Originally Posted by eldereldo View Post
    Well so much for waiting, walked into the dealer today to pickup some parts for my sled, walked out the owner of a new 2018.

All those upgrades and then walk out with a new one! Haha, sounds like me with my bike.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Yeh, going to try to leave this one alone. I am having the dealer install better running boards and bumpers, but that’s is it.

Quote Originally Posted by eldereldo View Post

Classic
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Better hope that new motor works out

Congrats man! I was looking at one of those today.

Throw some polaris gripper skis on there while you're at it and she's good to go.

Let me know if you want to sell those shocks off your 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Better hope that new motor works out

Congrats man! I was looking at one of those today.

Throw some polaris gripper skis on there while you're at it and she's good to go.

Let me know if you want to sell those shocks off your 2014.
    The motor was one of the reasons I was going to wait, but I have been reading about people who had already put over 1000km on the early releases with no issues at all, at AC certainly took their time getting it out, so I rolled the dice

You know, everyone says change the skis, and I did on the 2014 because the stock ones were shit, but I haven’t read any reviews of the 2018’s where they mention the skis as being an issue. I am going to ride it and see what they feel like first.

Can’t sell the shocks, don’t have any that would fit the 2014 if I remove them. I would have to get the old ones shortened and then I would still need a new rear shock since that was different for the 2016 skid as well. I am going to see how then QS3 shocks are and if I don’t think they have enough adjustability I will swap the Elka’s that will fit onto the 2018. As far as I can see, that would be the front ski shocks and front skid shock.
    Last edited by eldereldo; 10-30-2017 at 11:56 AM.