Page 47 of 167 FirstFirst ... 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,175 of 4154
    PIcs of said snowmobile racks. I use the snowboard binding and a gunrack on the back. Cheap but I usually have to replace the gunrack midseason when it breaks.
    T

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat67 View Post
    PIcs of said snowmobile racks. I use the snowboard binding and a gunrack on the back. Cheap but I usually have to replace the gunrack midseason when it breaks.
    T
    Similar idea to Shadams - old snowboard bindings and some hockey pucks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	racks.jpg 
Views:	1906 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	125815

Drill hole through the middle of the pucks, notch them to sandwich the skis and run a bolt through the whole assembly and the tunnel or rack on the sled. May take some creativity depending on the machine, but the set on mine has been hauling skis for at least 3 years without a failure.

That's pretty slick.

Those are literally hockey pucks? Awesome.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

hockey pucks are wot alota snowboarders use, but not really wide enough for skis as a pair.

I'll see if I can get pic's.
    I've got the summit highmark without taillight, and just use 2 bungies sitiing board flat across back of seat storage compartment and rear bumper. works a treat for cost of 2 bungies. and I can carry 2boards there too, just harder to dance from side to side with 2 boards. 2 boards usually means 2 people on sled. no prob"s with spare gas can or cooling or anything ... kiss ...
    We, the RATBAGGERS, formally axcept our duty is to trigger avalaches on all skiers ...

I'm a skier, actually prefer that setup to the fancy CFR rack I put on the new sled. The CFR mounts end up pushing into the bar on my freerides when I tighten the straps up.

I used two pucks per strap and cut 1/4 section out of each, slot is wide enough for me to set a pair of skis so I can carry two sets. And they are actually regulation, Hockey Canada pucks (though I think one might be a game puck from a Flames/Avs game I was at).

Quote Originally Posted by PlayHarder View Post
    I'm a skier, actually prefer that setup to the fancy CFR rack I put on the new sled. The CFR mounts end up pushing into the bar on my freerides when I tighten the straps up.

I used two pucks per strap and cut 1/4 section out of each, slot is wide enough for me to set a pair of skis so I can carry two sets. And they are actually regulation, Hockey Canada pucks (though I think one might be a game puck from a Flames/Avs game I was at).
    Any chance you could post a pic of your setup? My M8 managed to eat 2 of the gun rack setups last year and need a new strategy. Thanks!

Well i wanted the CFR DD so i could put a gas can there and also mount my own snowboard strap setup. Would rather have weight slightly distributed on the tunnel than on one side. wish i could weld aluminum and build my own.
    Last edited by Mountainman; 11-16-2012 at 09:24 PM.
    My Montana has an East Infection

Gonna get out weds for some break-in action on our 2 rebuilt zx's. My first 2 rebuilds so wish me luck i remembered eveything. Anyone been out on vail pass since the last storm?

I read on Snowest that VP is doing OK. We went to Corona Sunday, there was lots of snow up high.

For the rack-picture-people, here's what I came up with for my new sled. Still needs straps & rubber caps/tube to make the verticals more blunt force than puncture-wound, but you get the idea. Sturdy, comes off with 4 bolts, light, keeps the skis off the rails and behind the seat.

I've not used it yet, but I have a similar (but considerably more ghetto) contraption on my other sled, absolutely love it - hooking a tip when the sled is leaned over is not a possibility, no tips fighting you for space on the boards.

Name:	rack2.jpg 
Views:	682 
Size:	128.6 KB 
ID:	127643

Quote Originally Posted by Mannix View Post
    Still needs straps & rubber caps/tube to make the verticals more blunt force than puncture-wound,
    Come on, don't ruin all the fun of sled skiing.

Looks good man!
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by Mannix View Post
    I read on Snowest that VP is doing OK. We went to Corona Sunday, there was lots of snow up high.

For the rack-picture-people, here's what I came up with for my new sled. Still needs straps & rubber caps/tube to make the verticals more blunt force than puncture-wound, but you get the idea. Sturdy, comes off with 4 bolts, light, keeps the skis off the rails and behind the seat.

I've not used it yet, but I have a similar (but considerably more ghetto) contraption on my other sled, absolutely love it - hooking a tip when the sled is leaned over is not a possibility, no tips fighting you for space on the boards.

Name:	rack2.jpg 
Views:	682 
Size:	128.6 KB 
ID:	127643
    Constructive criticism---what happens when you roll that? Does it collapse? otherwise it looks like you might end up bending the tunnel.

Good question. The tabs that attach it to the tunnel and bumper are stiff vertically, but semi flimsy laterally.

I could not come up with a better solution; one that carries 3-4 pairs, loads fast, lightish, etc - that did not raise the tunnel-twist concern. I THINK the rack will bend laterally before the tunnel. I hope.

I guess I'll find out. That and getting impaled are my gripes with it, and I could not think of a better way. The rack was intentionally built stronger in the vertical plane, though, and some rubber caps will help with perforations.

Any ideas? I want it all - capacity, speed (my cfr rack taught me that load/unload speed _matters_), skis behind seat, not down the side.

Thanks!

Iain

Put a cotter pin in the front mount that you can take out and let the rack swing if you need to roll it?

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Put a cotter pin in the front mount that you can take out and let the rack swing if you need to roll it?
    Ahh, that kind of roll. Not worried about manually rolling it over. I'm worried about getting off halfway up that-hill-ovar-thar and it ROLLING down the hill.

Manually rolling it out of a hole, nah, I don't think it'll hurt anything. When we do that, it is generally pretty controlled. Plus, I doubt I'm EVER going to try to roll this thing out of a hole - it does not seem to dig the same holes a mountain sled does (short lug track?), and the couple of times I've gotten it stuck going uphill, the answer seems to be "dig out behind it so it can go backwards." Insert overdone honeybadger reference here.

I got it stuck this weekend - was bashing a road uphill through 3-4' of uncompacted snow. There was pretty much no way I could have rolled it out - a mountain sled winds up with a lot of the bodywork ABOVE the snow, track and tunnel down into it. This thing was kinda IN the snow, rolling it "left" would have been downhill, and there was a 1.5-2' wall of snow on the left side. Pretty much no way, without a TON of digging. Plus, this thing weighs roughly ONE MILLION pounds (668 claimed dry).

Instead, we dug out the rear, so the track could go backwards, freed it up, put it in reverse, let it drive back up onto its road.

Dirk Diggler and whoever else that went on and on about utility sleds being The Answer on page 15 or whatever are right. This thing is unreal. Found fairly to very deep snow @ Corona last weekend (near Winter Park, CO), spent a bunch of time making roads through the woods. It is slower to make the first pass than a mountain sled, but once the first pass is done, there's a road. Win.

It won't climb straight up a steep, untracked chute like a mountain sled will, but that's RARELY needed for us.

Dunno. Not terribly cool, bro, but for what we're doing, this thing blows my mountain sleds out of the water. It was amusing puttering around the meadow helping all the mountain sleds get unstuck, though. The only time I got it stuck was when I tried momentum vs battering ram, then it ran over the snowflap.

Shrug. Mountain sleds are neat, but it was really telling when I made a path into said meadow (first one in), a friend was riding my RT1000162" right behind me. I stopped, we talked, told him to make a path around me. He did not get past me before it was stuck.

CERTAINLY a rider issue - he's a decent rider, he just made a small mistake, the RT was VERY capable of doing what he wanted, but getting the SWT stuck there was damned near impossible, one small mistake on the mountain sled, stuck.

Dirk is Right.

Iain

http://www.porttackracks.com/

Diggin that rack with my own simple snowboard binding ski rack attached.
    My Montana has an East Infection

http://ez-rak.com/

Love the innovation on here with you guys making your own racks. Bang for the buck these are the best racks on the market. They are tested and proven by a local mad man who loves to huck meat on his sled as much as skiing. I have had mine for three seasons and have never had an issue.

Works great for carrying your hockey stick for those backcountry skating adventures.

Last edited by 45hill; 12-11-2012 at 05:09 PM.

You are......without a doubt......by FAR......the most dedicated hockey player I've ever met in my life.

That stick is older than jesus

Sent from one of those fancy cellular telephones
    If it's green, smoke it...if it's pink, poke it

BUY THESE------> 193 iM 103 - $50 http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=179797

It's about 12 years old. I broke my composite this summer playing lame ass roller hockey. I actually like the feel of a wooden stick. I think this winter I will rock the Sherwood 7000. I play 99% of my hockey outdoors and composite sticks tend to get brittle and vibrate way too much.

Got out for a few hrs on meadow mt. Pretty sweet up top. Lots of pow turns.We ran both the sleds today and the new top ends seem to run fine. Will continue with low pressure break in period.

Quote Originally Posted by PlayHarder View Post
    Similar idea to Shadams - old snowboard bindings and some hockey pucks.

Name:	racks.jpg 
Views:	1906 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	125815

Drill hole through the middle of the pucks, notch them to sandwich the skis and run a bolt through the whole assembly and the tunnel or rack on the sled. May take some creativity depending on the machine, but the set on mine has been hauling skis for at least 3 years without a failure.
    Good use of the old school Rev tail light racks...
    You could also use UHMW-PE (layered up) which can often be purchased out of the scraps bin at Tap-Plastics.
    Last edited by AlpenChronicHabitual; 12-12-2012 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    You are......without a doubt......by FAR......the most dedicated hockey player I've ever met in my life.
    You could say I am more lazy than dedicated. I decided to take my sled up Old Mammoth road to Lake Mary road to save 15 minutes of hiking. I only had a few hours to skate so any time saved was more on the ice.

My lil' stallion! The BRAP has been epic up in Idaho since the beginning of Dec. figured I'd share a little video of the first day out. More to come hope you enjoy!

Name:	sled.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	280.5 KB 
ID:	127948

Quote Originally Posted by 45hill View Post
    You could say I am more lazy than dedicated.
    Yeah whatever Gem Lake local.

If there are any North Lake Tahoe/ Truckee sled skiers looking for partners pm me. I'm in Truckee and am good to go most all the time.