Page 9 of 167 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    I use touring boots with Vibram soles, it works out fine with them loosely buckled and in walk mode. I haven't found a way to keep them from getting torn to shit from the running boards.

Hmm. I only have alpine boots right now and i'm in the process of shopping for AT boots. I suppose it would be wise then, since i will be sledding, to choose boots with replaceable sole blocks?

Replaceable sole blocks probably won't help as the area that gets abused the most is under the instep.

While I found that the walking soles for my Adrenalins helped a little with traction on the running boards, I have spent more time riding with the alpine soles mounted. IMO the hardest part in riding in ski boots has to do with the interface of a stiff/hard sole and the running board of the sled. Soft boots flex and give and allow you too "feel" what's going on under your feet, ski boots don't.

I have used garmont megarides and the BD Factors sled skiing and the Garmonts held up much better. My Factors are pretty chewed up after one season... I use dynafits so its not much of a problem having the bottoms chewed up. I am a little worried however about the instep of the boot as I have some pretty deep gashes in the plastic. I think I will get max two seasons out of these boots. I chalk it up to the regular expenses that go along with sled skiing. IMO you def want AT boots while sledding although I have plenty of friends that get around fine with just a alpine boot.

Quote Originally Posted by RonMexico View Post
    I was wondering the same thing the other day. Beyond that, how do you prevent them from getting shred to shit by the teeth on the running boards?
    Depends on the sled, but on our new cats, you're screwed either way, they tear the PISS out of boots, hard or soft. A good set of AT boots help for traction, but my buddies that ski are definitely limited as far as riding goes.

Last year I switched to Keen Summit county's for regular sledding days, got to say the softer boots help with traction, I was really happy with them for sledding only. I need to get used to riding with snowboard boots again this year.

AT boots aren't that bad for sledding. Just as long as you have decent traction on your running boards you are set. Don't buckle the top two buckles, throw it into touring mode and they are just as good as soft boots. If you have someone else on the sled that's where wearing ski boots becomes a pain in the ass. I always end up kicking the guy in the thighs or knees.

Does anyone wear regular snow boots for sledding and pack their ski boots on the sled, then switch when it's time to ski?

Quote Originally Posted by TroySmith80 View Post
    Does anyone wear regular snow boots for sledding and pack their ski boots on the sled, then switch when it's time to ski?
    No, they'll give you a ticket for this practice on Vail Pass. Big no-no in the sled-skiing community.

A ticket? I don't get it.

I usually wear my jeans, sneakers, t shirt, and a windbreaker on the way up and then switch over to my ski suit and ski boots once I reach the top. Works like a charm.

I think thats what we around these parts call sarcasm.
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

Yeah, fuckin' fashion police layin' down the lawz.

LOL, bastards, i didn't think it was a stupid question! ;-) Oh well. So i guess i'll take those responses as a "no".

Ha, rode for 5 seasons with AT boots because the first few times I went out on my old yammy tripple I slid all over the place and got frusterated. a few seasons ago I had the alpine boots in the truck and figured I'd give them a go because it seemed I was starting to lose interest in more intense lines on skis, most my buddies were using alpine so I figured it couldn't be toooo hard. I found that the din toes fit well into the grooved teeth of the rev running board (especially when climbing). it took some getting used too but now I don't even notice it (except for the occasional slip off to superman hang on try not to pin it while doubling factor). the best part is that my skiing got a whole new boost and I've become more aggressive and comfortable going fast on bigger lines with airs again. I'm more stoked to get my turn, and not just sit back and film and run laps. there is a thread on here where Tom walks through putting vibrams on alpine boots, maybe search " DIY vibram soles "

Also, I agree that the boots get torn to shreds after a few seasons, the toes on my old sollys where so worn down that they almost came to an edge.

All jokes aside......

Vail Pass is a sensitive area right now. You can't just act like a drunk redneck, throw your ski boots over your shoulder and blast up the mountain on your snowmobile.

There is a construction firm that has been working up there a few years now.
    They are mid-project right now, pouring the foundations for an aerial tram that is being built through the area.

Anyway, the construction guys all ride sleds up to the job site. Last year, one of those guys (he used to post here, RIP Jamie aka sledneckripper) decided to take a run on his skis during his lunch break. Skiing down, he accidently hit a power pole and died...there's a big lawsuit against the electric company, and a counter-suit against the construction firm......huge mess. So they banned anyone who isn't already suited up with their gear to head up the mountain, the Forest Service will think you work for the Construction Firm.

Use the search function, there's like a 20 page thread on it.

^^^ Vibes again to all involved, that is a really sad story, and make sure you have your construction suit on.

I actually saw a guy trying this last season at turnagain, we laughed our asses off. I don't think him and his crew even made it up the frontside.

there were probably 10 times more people trying to sled ski last season then 5 years ago and its pretty funny watching them learn all the stupid little shit that only comes from trial and error.

Those construction dudes are tough as nails too. I was up there the day of the accident. Horrible day. Dude thought he would be ok just wearing his hard hat and Carhartts for that one run. Low vis day and sources told me he didn't even see it coming. SMACK.

Now the forest service is all over everyone's ass, especially that Fitzpatrick guy, for wearing the appropriate gear. Be safe out there dude.

I don't understand why you would laugh at someone doing that. I've sledded for 15 years and I can ride. I'm no dummy when it comes to sleds, and it seems like it would be a good idea to ride in regular boots that you would wear if you weren't going to ski.

I don't know why it would impede you getting somewhere. Granted, it would be a pain in the ass to switch up on the hill, and put on cold ski boots.

I haven't tried sledding in ski boots yet, so maybe it's not as bad as i suspect it may be, but it certainly has to be worse than regular boots. Ultimately it's probably not worth the hassle, but it's not like it's a crazy idea.

most folks I see that start snowmoskiing are(like me) skiers that buy sleds without having a clue about the sled side of things.

Its not that bad riding in alpine boots and I'm sure its better than putting on cold boots on the top of a run. what are you gonna do, switch out on every lap? that sounds like some Mr. Rogers shit right there.

I don't understand why you would laugh at someone doing that. I've sledded for 15 years and I can ride. I'm no dummy when it comes to sleds, and it seems like it would be a good idea to ride in regular boots that you would wear if you weren't going to ski.

I don't know why it would impede you getting somewhere. Granted, it would be a pain in the ass to switch up on the hill, and put on cold ski boots.

I haven't tried sledding in ski boots yet, so maybe it's not as bad as i suspect it may be, but it certainly has to be worse than regular boots. Ultimately it's probably not worth the hassle, but it's not like it's a crazy idea.
    A lot of guys have been buying size 18 Sorels and slipping them over their ski boots. They get to their spot, slip'em off and click in.

Quote Originally Posted by Blurred View Post
    A lot of guys have been buying size 18 Sorels and slipping them over their ski boots. They get to their spot, slip'em off and click in.
    That's genious!

Ok, ok. 2 pairs of boots is a bad idea, but not a TERRIBLE idea

I'm changing the subject!

How much better do the new chassis handle compared to my old 2003 Polaris Edge chassis? I wanna try one of the newer sleds but i'll probably just end up not liking mine after i do!

Whenever I don't feel like wearing my ski boots on the uphill I usually just throw 'em under the hood during the trip back up to the drop zone so they stay warm. Kind of like those boot warmers, but even better.

I put my ski boots in a small North Face waterproof Duffel...

then attach that to my Cheetah Rack (which can also hold 2 pairs on skis)

and sled up (usually 20-30+km's) to ski access in HMK Highmark boots.

It works great, I use teeny plug boots which are fairly uncomfortable, I'm not a fan of sliding around on race risers on my running boards, especially when its a 56km haul in (ie: Bralorne) HMK Snowmobiling boots offer WAAAAAY better support, warmth, and control than sorels. They're more durable, waterproof and comfier too, and not that badly priced. (~120$ and up)

Quote Originally Posted by GoNads View Post
    I put my ski boots in a small North Face waterproof Duffel...

then attach that to my Cheetah Rack (which can also hold 2 pairs on skis)

and sled up (usually 20-30+km's) to ski access in HMK Highmark boots.

It works great, I use teeny plug boots which are fairly uncomfortable, I'm not a fan of sliding around on race risers on my running boards, especially when its a 56km haul in (ie: Bralorne) HMK Snowmobiling boots offer WAAAAAY better support, warmth, and control than sorels. They're more durable, waterproof and comfier too, and not that badly priced. (~120$ and up)

I take it the bag is not touching the tunnel? That would suck to melt the spendy TNF bag. I used the ghost boots last season on sleds and I was impressed. I hear the old school "Cat Tracks" ski boot sole covers work pretty dam well for traction too. Just got a new dragon and I'm about to fab up a gun rack into a ski rack. I just can't rationalize spending so much $$ for the cheetah rack. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Been sledding in my Spirit 4 AT boots w/ the boot in Tour mode and buckles open - zero issues the last 3 seasons. Running boards on the 08 RMK have chewed the boots a bit but I'm rocking Dynafits so no biggie there, boards on the older 98 700 were too wimpy to do any damage....

Almost done the rack fabrication for the sled - almost popped the $$ for a cheetah but the wife went ballistic. 20-30 bucks at home depot instead. Building a version like Pow4Brains but fits the T-Slot system on the new sled - should be a quick on/offsetup and pretty burly - I hope...

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ght=snowmobile

Pics in the next day or two