Page 98 of 167 FirstFirst ... 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 ... LastLast
Results 2,426 to 2,450 of 4154
    Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    I'm in pretty much the exact same situation as Z but based in Whistler. Same kind of budget but can go higher. Worried about spending too much money and just trashing it so 6k was what i was thinking.
    Can anyone recommend shit i need to avoid?
    I found a 2013 Arctic Cat m8000 with 1200k for 6k. Seems like a good deal but have heard people complain about Arctic cats durability in past. I am full JONG when it comes to sleds (pretty much everything really, but sleds especially)
    I am heavily Biased to Ski-doo.... and I really cannot comment on the nuanced differences between model years of other machines.

One thing I have found to be advantageous, is everyone in our primary crew rides a similar machine. all ski doo. More than once this has come in handy, from using a friends belts, clutch tools... to figuring out an error code, or repairs (be it in the bush or back home).

Ski Doo's tend to be more pricey... so that can be a barrier to entry. are they actually any better? I don't really know. Try and avoid the sleds that the pros are selling, they are pretty punched out. They always have a great price tag and most often a fresh motor, but everything else is just haggard. Also, be wary of sled with fresh graphic wraps... again, they are usually bagged out underneath..this was a lesson learned by a friend of mine, who after the sale realized that the wrap was all that was holding the plastics together.. it helps to searcher the sellers social media, if they are doing cliff drops..you probably dont want that one.

Ultimately, you want a low km engine... the lowest Km you can afford. as a blown motor is probably the most challenging/frustrating/expensive thing to deal with.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

800 etec skidoo is about as low maintenance as possible. Lube the main bearing every 2,500 and no need for top ends for many thousands of miles.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    800 etec skidoo is about as low maintenance as possible. Lube the main bearing every 2,500 and no need for top ends for many thousands of miles.
    My brother in law turboed his, and got over 9000km on it...considering that mod, amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Any years to avoid? Probably looking at 2010 - 2014 in my budget...
    Drive slow, homie.

Think '14-'16 pretty dialled. Heard of some issues with earlier ones, think 2010 was the first year of the etec (?)

Maggot snowmobile thread

Quote Originally Posted by Z View Post
    The XM chassis makes weight transfer and maneuvering significantly easier than the XP chassis. The XM came out in 2013. But the XP chassis remains as the summit sport today. In 2015, the Summit sports got t-motion (it was introduced on the XM platform in 2013).

I would prioritize the XM chassis. But if you went to XP chassis, its gotta be powered by 800etec. (older models, and sport editions may have had a 600 or a Ptec engine... neither are desirable)
    Last edited by cmcrawfo; 02-18-2018 at 10:48 PM.

I'm in pretty much the exact same situation as Z but based in Whistler. Same kind of budget but can go higher. Worried about spending too much money and just trashing it so 6k was what i was thinking.
    I found a 2013 Arctic Cat m8000 with 1200k for 6k. Seems like a good deal but have heard people complain about Arctic cats durability in past. I am full JONG when it comes to sleds (pretty much everything really, but sleds especially)
    Cats are as tough as you get, 6k is to much. They are blowing out new 2016 for $7,000.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Z View Post
    2013 sell for pretty cheap. They sold a lot of them because people were really stoked on XM and t-motion.

Quote Originally Posted by pano-dude View Post
    Cats are as tough as you get, 6k is to much. They are blowing out new 2016 for $7,000.

Where?

I’m new to sledding.

I have an opportunity to buy a 12 arctic cat m1100 turbo factory sled for 4000$

It has 1500 miles on it and LOOKS well taken care of. The front end doesnt have any chips or bends in the a arms. Tunnel looks clean, no dents or bangs in the belly pan below the motor.

My local sled shop is Arctic cat. Ski doo is the next closest and neither shop gives a fuck about service. Both shops are reported terrible, so my plan was to take it in as little as possible and pay what they ask for repair if I can’t do it myself.

We are going out two deep on two sleds, I’d like to sled ski from it, the other sled is an ice fishing sled that can get us home if the turbo breaks down but useless off trail.

What are the known problems of this sled? How reliable are they if we just enjoy it and don’t beat the shit out of it?

I know People will say we won’t have the self control not to romp it, I promise you. At 40 years old my haydays are over.

We thought power is what we needed to two up, any suggestions?

Plus this thing is as tight as a nuns cunt to get a hand in, so I’m worried it might be too much?

Any advice is appreciated

Bob

40 years OLD? Damn you are too old to boondock huh? Lol

Don't know squat about cats sorry. A turbo sled is fun but a bit much for ski laps. You and your passengers will want earplugs.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbuilds View Post
    I’m new to sledding.

I have an opportunity to buy a 12 arctic cat m1100 turbo factory sled for 4000$

It has 1500 miles on it and LOOKS well taken care of. The front end doesnt have any chips or bends in the a arms. Tunnel looks clean, no dents or bangs in the belly pan below the motor.

My local sled shop is Arctic cat. Ski doo is the next closest and neither shop gives a fuck about service. Both shops are reported terrible, so my plan was to take it in as little as possible and pay what they ask for repair if I can’t do it myself.

We are going out two deep on two sleds, I’d like to sled ski from it, the other sled is an ice fishing sled that can get us home if the turbo breaks down but useless off trail.

What are the known problems of this sled? How reliable are they if we just enjoy it and don’t beat the shit out of it?

I know People will say we won’t have the self control not to romp it, I promise you. At 40 years old my haydays are over.

We thought power is what we needed to two up, any suggestions?

Plus this thing is as tight as a nuns cunt to get a hand in, so I’m worried it might be too much?

Any advice is appreciated

Bob
    Just go and try and lift the front end. That should be enough to deter you from it. They have their problems. Check out snowandmud.com for specifics. I for one think there are better options for that price than that sled.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Turbos are fun and IMO actually allow you to ride technical sections more slowly/controlled because you don't have to carry as much momentum to keep from getting stuck. This assumes you have some baseline skills. If you are starting from nothing skill-wise, I'd look elsewhere.

Often overlooked item on sleds that are gonna get gangbanged for sled laps is the suspension. Make sure it's not clapped out and the skid can support the weight of two riders.

Quote Originally Posted by crashidy View Post
    Just go and try and lift the front end. That should be enough to deter you from it. They have their problems. Check out snowandmud.com for specifics. I for one think there are better options for that price than that sled.

Yup 12's had lots of issues, clutching and drivetrain. First year for the 1100 turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Where?
    Most cat dealers had ads on kijiji blowing out old stock.

Previous owner says he followed up on all the bullitens, sled weight is 700+ pounds wet. I’m 6’4 280. I’ve ridden ski doo 800’s a bit, I don’t sled sled. I’d just want to get up the roads to above tree line, so we started with the fishing sled. It will ride 1 and pull 1 on a groomed road. But then we are skin laps. Some dudes came into the zone we were in and did 10 to our 1 and we were like dang. Need a real sled.

We two upped on my buddy’s 800 but he had to lay a track first before we could do it, after we set a track it got better each lap.

I’m starting to feel like I don’t want the 1100 turbo now. What would you recommend for a sled for two up.?

Local dealers are arctic cat and ski doo, neither want to do anything other than sell a new sled. “Whoa, this one fried a plug, time to upgrade” kind of attitude.

Thanks for the help!
    Falling feels like flying........for a little while.

Not to name drop, but I got advice from felker motor sports when I lived by them, his best advice was” buy what you can have serviced and repaired, not what you like, or you’ll have to drive to that dealer.

Arctic cat 2 miles away, ski doo 30 miles away and Polaris is about 60 miles away, plus lots of people say arctic cat is reliable so I landed there.

Most people here ride cat, then doo. Chris Burant is here and rides Polaris, but he handles his own stuff.

Feeling lost.

So 4K for a sled that was 15k doesn’t mean anything if it doesn’t last, wife won’t go for a payment, next step up is an m8000 for 7500, fuck that.

Just finished reading, thank you. I forget about snow and mud. I’m no closer to my decision now. Fuck, most big riders love it.way more complicated to work on, I’m not a mechanic. You can sit inside an m8 engine compartment.

The only time the 1100t is good for someone 5’6 and 180 lbs is if they are working on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by crashidy View Post

For what you are looking to do, there are plenty of smoking deals on 13 and up m800. Being your size and the fact you are doubling. I would suggest arctic cat. I frequently double with a buddy who is 260 and I'm 200 on a 15 skidoo xm. It works fine but the kitty handles us better. Arctic cats are a solid choice, i would sit away from that turbo though. Where are you located? I have a busy who has a 13 or 14 m8 he would probably sell. In Calgary.

Holy shit i would be all over that!
    Just kijijing right now!

Appreciate the advice cmcrawfo and everyone else

The point on having reputable service near by is valid.... that said, once warranty is up, any one can service it.

I know nothing about cats, but on face value that machine would definitely accomplish the tasks u are asking if it.

Pricing can be regional for used machines... so a good deal hear might be a shitty deal there.

Used sled game is hard... most machines will last, some blow up after a few rides .... I think it's important to factor a new motor into your equation.... if u had to dump 2grand on a motor, would it still be worth it... and consider that in your calculation over new.

I ride An AC and it if you get a 2014 plus it is probably the most reliable sled you can own. The 800 engine had been bullet proof since the M8 days, but the 2012 and 2013 has clutch issues which were fixed with 2014. There was an update available so if the machine you are looking at has had it done it would be fine. As far as riding goes the 2016+ has a new front end and skid that makes a lot of difference in sidehilling and not trenching. The other thing Cats need is for the stock skis to be replaced, they are to narrow and trail oriented.

Final, while I think my Cat is great, if you don’t have the mechanical ability or space to work on your own sled, you might want to get a Skidoo as there is a dealer in Pemberton and another in Squamish, no other dealers in the S2S so you are looking at driving to Vancouver for service, or using an independent shop. Probably 90% of the sleds here are doos for that reason. Although their riders will tell you it is because the sled is the best.

To find the best sled deals look in Alberta kijjii

Quote Originally Posted by eldereldo View Post
    I ride An AC and it if you get a 2014 plus it is probably the most reliable sled you can own. The 800 engine had been bullet proof since the M8 days, but the 2012 and 2013 has clutch issues which were fixed with 2014. There was an update available so if the machine you are looking at has had it done it would be fine. As far as riding goes the 2016+ has a new front end and skid that makes a lot of difference in sidehilling and not trenching. The other thing Cats need is for the stock skis to be replaced, they are to narrow and trail oriented.

Final, while I think my Cat is great, if you don’t have the mechanical ability or space to work on your own sled, you might want to get a Skidoo as there is a dealer in Pemberton and another in Squamish, no other dealers in the S2S so you are looking at driving to Vancouver for service, or using an independent shop. Probably 90% of the sleds here are doos for that reason. Although their riders will tell you it is because the sled is the best.

To find the best sled deals look in Alberta kijjii
    Imo newer sleds i.e. 2006 and up really don't "Need " anything, They are really good and upgrades are personal preference. I have been riding sleds for 40years(started at 7yrs old) and the old sleds we rode needed a lot of upgrades to handle the deep snow. (Plastic paddles bolted to track, plastic skins bolted to steel skiis)

I could not believe how amazing my first summit with a 136 track was in 1997 coming off 121 track sleds.

Then 2001 was a big year with 151 track.... 2006 it was 162 and 2.5 deep paddles now the big sleds are 174 and 3"paddles....

Pick a sled used by a female, no performance add ons, low mileage and has a dealer close by. Ride it until you get a feel for sledding then buy a newer one.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    https://www.kijiji.ca/v-snowmobile-p...ationFlag=true

Oh ya, that rack looks familiar.... he does pretty good work and He even molds all the plastic himself. the bungee system seemed to be reliable and very cost effective.

for what it's worth, he is a ripper too. some of the gnarliest ski lines I have ever done have been with Dustin.
    Late to the game with this but I ordered one of these up for my sled and couldn't be happier. Thanks for the heads up for whoever posted it. I live south of the border but picked it up on a trip north. We looked into shipping and it was a bit steep.

Dustin is the man. He went way out of his way to drop it off at the hotel I would be staying at. He was super good to work with and I can't say enough good about the transaction.

The rack looks similar to a CFR rack and the bungee system works great. I finally got around to testing everything properly last weekend and was pleased with it. I have used a Mopros rack previously and the bungee system on this rack is every bit as quick, if not quicker to secure things. Less moving parts that are much cheaper to replace if needed compared to the ladder strap setups.

Just wanted to give a heads up about them in case anyone is in the market.

Most cat dealers had ads on kijiji blowing out old stock.

Got a link you've seen? Been on kijiji regularly...