Page 8 of 167 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GoNads View Post
    they blow up, welcome to sledding.
    Personally, I'd be kinda pissed if I was missing out on riding time because I was blowing up engines 2 or 3 times a season. It's not something I ever think about with my Nytro. Turn the key and go.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    Personally, I'd be kinda pissed if I was missing out on riding time because I was blowing up engines 2 or 3 times a season. It's not something I ever think about with my Nytro. Turn the key and go.
    It's all a trade off i guess. Your Nytro is a powerless pig (no offense), but I'm sure it is reliable. I think the blown motor thing is overinflated with the doos. Plenty of AC's and Poo's with blown motors out there. With all of them you have to stay on top of maintainence. I get the topend rebuilt on any 2 stroke sled I've ever had around 2,000 miles just to cover my ass. Clutches, even more love. Ya, doesn't cover a bad crank, but I'm rock'n the 06' HO, so I'm not to worried. I've ridden M cats and prefer my rev, don't know about the newer poo's but they look nice. I'm sure some day Ski doo will offer Burandt a ton of $$$ then he'll ride a ski doo. Bottom line, doesn't fucking matter just go pull throttle and stay involved in your local travel plans FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by hick View Post
    It's all a trade off i guess. Your Nytro is a powerless pig (no offense), but I'm sure it is reliable.
    No offense taken. Yes, it is reliable. Yes, it is heavy and a little down on power from the factory(google says your sled makes less than 20HP more, not really a huge difference). It's nice to be able to spend the money on upgrades instead of having clutches and top ends rebuilt. This season my sled will be 9 inches longer, about 60 pounds lighter and will be making more power.

I've ridden all the recent XPs, RMKs and Cats. IMO, nothing handles as well as my sled in pow even in stock trim.

Quote Originally Posted by hick View Post
    Thought this might be pertinant in the Sled thread. The Snowest sight is taking a dump (gotta pay to use), so everyone is switching to:
    www.backcountryrebels.com

It's meh, but why the hell would anyone pay to use the snowest forums.

The wife and I had our lousy unreliable Revs out the other day man do those sleds suck.
    Made the jump as well.
    Weak sauce on SW...

Yeah, our Rev's suck too.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    No offense taken. Yes, it is reliable. Yes, it is heavy and a little down on power from the factory(google says your sled makes less than 20HP more, not really a huge difference). It's nice to be able to spend the money on upgrades instead of having clutches and top ends rebuilt. This season my sled will be 9 inches longer, about 60 pounds lighter and will be making more power.

I've ridden all the recent XPs, RMKs and Cats. IMO, nothing handles as well as my sled in pow even in stock trim.
    All that sled needs is a turbo, then it'll be worth riding. I can't imagine riding a nytro stock!

Every sled just depends on what you like to ride. I know people that ride 174's, I know people that ride 128's, 105 hp to 450 hp, (Still don't understand why people buy doo's though, they fly well, but aside from that...) The one thing I can't put up with is an unreliable sled. A nytro is a great sled depending on the terrain that you're riding, but come ride with us... you'd ditch it or buy a turbo in less than a month, I've seen it a number of times.

In the last two years of owning 190 to 280hp sleds for my wife & I, I haven't fixed anything I didn't break. (yeah, I break a lot of stuff, that's life)

btw, those of you that are in CO, http://www.sledmods.com is a good site for local info & none of the consistent retardation that occurs on SW.

A turbo is in the plans but first I'm fixing what yamaha shouldve done at the factory. Suspension, track, weight loss. Impulse turbo next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Blurred View Post
    I've got one word for you.....MODS.
    You can make just about any sled handle the way you like with mods..... Sleds are like skis, it's more about rider skill than the tool.
    Blowing an engine on a sled within a month of getting it new just tells me someone didn't properly break it in and was abusive.
    It's really no mystery to the general public that the summit engine sucks dick and 'nades all the time.
    Who all have had their 800 blow? - SnoWest Forum

Repeatedly buying a sled that consistently 'nades on you doesn't seem smart.

And sure, your mileage/kilometers might be up there, but so are mine.
    Jumping off shit or what not has absolutely nothing to do with the motor....you'd think if you put so many km on your sled, you really get out there.....in spots where blowing a motor is bad....real bad.
    It's situations like that when you really consider what's important....maybe you haven't had that overnighter out in BFE cuz your new sled shit the bed....but for me, that's when it becomes really apparent what's important.

And Nads, we probably wouldn't be having this convo if we got to ride on VP that one day.......unfortunately, my ski-doo shit the bed that week and it wasn't possible.

Maybe some day, now that I have a Cat.

edit:Burandt jumped!!!! ack!
    That's why you should always sled with friends, and be prepared for any possible scenario. It doesn't matter what brand of sled you have... everyone I know that rides a lot around here is blowing an engine every year or two. Regardless of whether or not its a 'doo, arctic cat, yamaha or polaris. I dragged 2 cats off the hill last season, and 2 of my own skidoo's, and 1 polaris and 1 turbo yammy.

From my experience in riding in Utah, Colorado, Washington, Idaho, nothing quite compares to BC. I've taken boys out riding from Colorado, and even they agreed, this is waaaaay bigger, steeper and you're full pin for much more time, demanding a lot more from your machine.

It's a sled, its going to 'grenade'. Modding it out will most likely increase the odds of this happening. Either everyone I ride with are "complete hacks" who don't know how to break an engine in, or sleds will blow up when you put them through that much abuse... I must be an idiot for riding a skidoo, along with Geoff Kyle (Whos sled is in the shop more than mine, actually), Dan Treadway, Chris Brown, Rob Alford, and most people here in Whistler.

Like I said it's personal preference as to what rig you ride. Don't get all high and mighty about your cat, I've seen plenty of those blow too, and it seems the trend is to get off Arctic Cat for Skidoo or Polaris these days.. if you're Chris Brown or Chris Burandt.

Nads - I saw in a post of yours (your TR in think) you said you were carrying a winch. Is it a hand operated come-along or electric? The new Bearcat Widetracks come with a front and rear receiver and an electric winch. I want one but want to know how practical they are (sometimes not too many trees around).
    `•.¸¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º>

"Having been Baptized by uller his frosty air now burns my soul with confirmation. I am once again pure." - frozenwater

"once i let go of my material desires many opportunities for playing with the planet emerge. emerge - to come into being through evolution. ok back to work - i gotta pack." - Slaag Master

"As for Flock of Seagulls, everytime that song comes up on my ipod, I turn it up- way up." - goldenboy

I like your avatar, A. Very cute. We'll eat you up, we love you so!
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

Drew, Warn makes a winch that is for sleds, you need a battery though, won't work on my sleds, but I believe it would work on the bearcat.

As for the grenading,

I'm not a brand loyal person, but in riding for a mod shop, when I see a shop have 100's of cat customers and about 1/4 that of doo's, but all the motors in the shop are doos, it makes you think.

When you look at typical engine failure, yes, they all fail, the difference is how. The doos tend to take the bottom end with them & become MUCH more expensive, most of the others are not like that.

If you are looking to get a new sled I would get a cat 1st, skidoo 2nd, and poo 3rd.... Yammie makes a good dirtbike..

If it were me lookin at a sled that is 4 years old or so I would be looking to get a m series cat.. The Skidoos of that era did blow pistons at 1500 - 2500 miles in many cases (pto side every time I have seen it). Belt life has also been a problem with the skidoos as most people just dont set up the belt right.. Then when a skidoo blows a belt it takes tools to replace and is not super easy on the trail.

Get a cat m7 or m8 of the same era and you will have better luck.. STAY AWAY from poo 900's as they blow cranks way more than they should. Or I would never buy a polaris 900 or even ride one if it was given to me.

Now if you got the bucks or want some payments there will be no non boosted sled on the hill that will hang with the 2010 cat m8.. Dyno results are right at 163 or 164 ponies and I have seen her run. If this motor hangs together it be the best 09-10 sled for a mountain application to date..

Nads brant is still a cat guy (i bet he bleeds green) and the word I got is thatcat cut back the money/sleds that brown was getting. Skidoo would help brown more that cat was so he switched over.. It had nothing to do with the sleds and more of the fact that BRP who makes everything from trains to snowmachines had more money to poney up than little ol cat.

Now what I cant understand is why if a snowcross team like skidoo or poo that has 2x or 3x the racing budget/racers of cat just cant hang in the snocross season?? I mean they do OK but I would think that they between the two of them that they could beat a smaller budget team if they had a better sled to race.. Or to put it another way - I will bet a 30 of pbr that tucker will come off the couch, jump on a cat, and win x games easily again... I mean it is only the biggest race of the year and last year I think cat took 3 of the top 5 spots...

This year I have 2 sleds both cats so I will ride one of my mod m1000's. The 09 does run better than the 08 and I am a bigger guy so the extra displacement helps a big guy or someone with 2 people on a sled. I have owned skidoos, m7's,m8's, mg's (m1000's) four strokes, and four stroke turbos this decade. My next will be a 2010 m8 with a pump gas turbo... Yep..

Well I guess that is enough shit talk about sleds for a monday..

Now I hate to brake up the hate/debate fest, but check out my new beats of a sled!!!

Its a 1988 Arctic Cat Cougar fan cooled 500!!!

The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

I have had very good luck with Cat over the last 8 years. On that note I am selling 2007 M8 153 so I can get a new one. Anyone interested can drop me questions via PM.

I like the new Cat seats, but the seats on the last few years M series are great for hauling skis. You can fit one or two pairs in there and have full rails for ridding and very little chance of getting them hung up when powder riding.

Sorry for the spam, how about some stoke?

Skis in seat after some powder riding...

I have had a lot of face shots skiing, but their is something about the force and longevity of face shots you get on a sled.

Quote Originally Posted by Dam Skier View Post
    Some serious good sled stoke right there.

As for the rest of this.
    Ride what you ride.
    Everyones experience and needs are going to be somewhat unique.
    What I have works and I'm sticking with it.
    If what you ride is working, good on ya, keep on, keeping on...

Seems like there's some serious Yamaha hate here.

As far as straight engine reliability goes, are they not the most reliable?

Only asking because have been looking at a Nytro MTX.
    go upside down.

Hate is a strong word.
    I know some Nytro MTX owners who are pretty happy with their sleds.
    That said, they all have turbos.

From my perspective it's about power to weight ratio.
    4 stroke sleds are heavier.
    If you're ridding in big terrain it can work against you.

Quote Originally Posted by RonMexico View Post

I think it's generally assumed that they are the most reliable out there but the Nytro hasn't really been around that long to really make a claim like that yet.

Personally, I don't understand the hate. I think it's mostly because of the weight issue. A Nytro has about 100lbs on a Rev XP. I've ridden both and the only time you really feel that weight is when your digging it out. If highmarking is your deal and you plan to keep the sled stock you'd probably be better off with something else. For tree riding/boondocking my sled did awesome last year without any mods.

Quote Originally Posted by RonMexico View Post

I would say the most reliable of the 4. Also the heaviest so they get alot of slack for that.

I think that there old triple 700 (MMax, Viper) is the most reliable 2-stoke motor ever. Lots of high mileage sleds out there still on original pistons.

If highmarking was a priority, I could see how the added weight would be a big concern.

But, as far as sledding to access backcountry ski spots and towing skiers, it seems like the added torque from a four-stroke would be worth the extra weight that comes along with it.
    go upside down.

^^^^^^^^

Wait til you bury that fucker for the first time by yourself....

2003 800RMK - 159" - Custom seat - SLP pipe/intake - pretty stock otherwise. Climbs pretty good but i think the new sleds probably handle a bunch better. I haven't really ridden 'em and i'm not sure i want to until i can afford one!

I felt bad for the poor sled here, but it hauled all our crap to the shelter!

After a bit of research it seems like that sled I have my eye on is a good deal but not a GREAT deal...so, I'm just throwing it out there that if anybody has a line on a 03.5 (rev chassis) or newer Ski Doo Summit (yes, I'm going Ski-Doo) I'm interested.

I'd like it to be in great shape but if it needs work and the price reflects the condition it's in I'd be willing to look at that too...

^ lots of them here:

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=231&cat=146

if you're willing to drive a little bit.

This thread is gettin me excited. Just went out and fired up the machine to make sure it still runs! Haven't started it since probably late April or early May. Took a few pulls but she fired up. Man does these stinkin things smoke when they're cold!

I just thought of something. All my backcountry riding to date has been snowboarding, but i'll be doing more skiing this year. I just got a little terrified at the thought of trying to sled in ski boots. How the heck do you guys do that? I guess proper AT boots actually have a little rubber on the bottom, and you can loosen 'em up a bit in tour mode. Still, it's gotta be far from ideal.

I climb around on my sled like a monkey when i'm boondocking around. I'm probably gonna fall off the damn thing if i'm wearing ski boots. I guess i'll find out...

Quote Originally Posted by TroySmith80 View Post
    I just got a little terrified at the thought of trying to sled in ski boots. How the heck do you guys do that?
    I was wondering the same thing the other day. Beyond that, how do you prevent them from getting shred to shit by the teeth on the running boards?
    go upside down.