Page 89 of 167 FirstFirst ... 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 ... LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,225 of 4154
    Obviously the benefit of buying new is having a warranty. Stoked for you, those things look pretty good. As long as nothing weird happens with the clutches or motor that's going to be a badass toy this winter.

Cool on the shocks. I figured you might still have the stock ones. He'll I'd even trade you the evol floats that came on my 16 ltd plus some cash if you got motivated. Ski shocks I mean.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Do have the stock ones but the only one that would fit would be the front skid shock, went frm the 38” to 36” front end and the 2016 skid needs a longer rear shock. But might be interested in a swap plus cash. Where are you located, send me a PM.

damn that's right.

If you sell me those you're still chasing down shocks. If trading the skis and front would work but I forgot mine was different for the rear track shock. I was just picturing a scenario where you still had some functional stock ones and could make more money selling both separately.

I'm in California so extra hassle anyway.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Yep, I may have to find someone locally who wants to do that swap.

Day 1 of the season was a gooder

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Looking good a little further north too. I was too scared to take the sled into much of the untracked but people were putting mid winter hill climbs in. Deeper pockets for repairs than i have. Lots of uncovered rocks. Skiing was decent though.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Looks good.
    I made the mistake of checking out the 2018 Summit X last week.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Looks good.
    I made the mistake of checking out the 2018 Summit X last week.
    Did you buy it? They are awesome. A bit tippy for tandem riding but can go anywhere. You won't be disappointed!

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    Last Nov I smashed in my bulkhead and bent a rail ( 2 separate incidents) Did Not notice the extent of the bulkhead crack until Dec. Super pricey start to the year, but I got to be first .. so... there was that.

Winter is shaping up nicely, I am just here to see other ppls sled stoke for now.

Brapp.
    Damn thats a big one. Yeah i was shocked what people were willing to ride. I watched a guy on one of the creamsicle doos smash a rock and go over the bars. Also saw so many "uncovered" rocks. I don't think i left a track that already existed. Heres the pit we dug. Very supportive 5cm rain crust down about 20cm. Will be a good one to watch as the surface snow was a bit slippery on it.

We didn't brap to much other than shuttle up to pow surf.
    Snowpack was really Good, small crust 80cms down. No facets under it but ground is still not frozen.
    First day on a new to me xm, big upgrade from the m7. Estart and reverse is very nice on my old man body....

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Maggot snowmobile thread

Quote Originally Posted by crashidy View Post
    Did you buy it? They are awesome. A bit tippy for tandem riding but can go anywhere. You won't be disappointed!

No, not yet.
    Like to milk another year out of the old girl.

About fifteen years ago I sent a lot of time on this 1989 Arctic Cat Jag. I have fond memories of riding this sled to the highway with Mrs. SIJ holding Liberty as an infant wrapped in a blanket. It has been a great sled and is very peppy. A two or three pull starter consistently every time.

Name:  sled.png
Views: 541
Size:  485.0 KB

It never started last Winter despite numerous attempts. A local sled mechanic says the stator is bad can none are to be found. He also says the modern era for snowmobiles is mid 1990s and parts for those before are non existent. I have no reason not to trust this guy. Despite it's great condition, sled guy says it needs to be tossed, or as he put it - parked behind the barn- forever.

We rode it for three winters and grew very fond of it. The girls want to ride it a lot & hopefully sled ski in the Gros Ventre.

Thoughts on this whole stator thing?

We will be riding another Arctic Cat , a 1996 650 work sled. Very big and heavy. Real bitch if (when) you get stuck. Not nearly as fun as the "little sled".
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

You may not be able to find the exact part (it's at least worth trying) but stators can be rewound.

Is it a 440?
    https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1989-ARCTIC-...xYSyWG&vxp=mtr

I have an old Tundra (and an old Honda xr250l) and have found all sorts of crap on flea bay I never thought I would find. Also, there are probably others of this vintage kicking around behind other people's barns. Put the word out and buy a couple if you have the space. Often folks move on and non-runners can be very cheap. All it takes is one or two useful parts to make the investment worthwhile.

My kids love putting around on the old Tundra and it is a great cabin sled - would never want to park it for something like a stator. Although, granted Tundra parts are easier to come by than old AC around here

Awesome^^^ will research. Did eBay already.

Sled guy said maybe eBay and I ordered one- then he said no workie. I may drive it to a larger company in Idaho Falls. We kinda need two sleds this Winter.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Maggot snowmobile thread

Years ago my kid wrecked a “friends” old sled in Sagatuck Mi.
    He wanted me to pay $2k to fix an $800 sled. I offered to buy him newer sled, but he wanted this one fixed.
    I found the parts for< $300 at a sled junk yard in Grand Rapids.
    Tons of old sleds with very few miles in the Midwest.
    Same with boats.

Sled is ready to go. Heading to Whistler on Sunday, hopefully it starts snowing again shortly AFTER we arrive.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	554FA2AA-37CA-4594-B583-0792BBAC4E1F.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	576.8 KB 
ID:	217054

^^^ Gorgeous.

Questions about tandeming... the place we normally ride requires a 10-15mi ride on a wide route that is sometimes groomed midwinter (it's a 2-lane highway in the summer). Depending on what you're skiing there are additional miles to be ridden as well.

We just picked up a Yamaha Apex Mountain (big burly mountain sled) that has been running great... with one. Our little polluter, a Skidoo Touring LE has been in the shop for a couple of weeks as the mechanics deftly attempt to locate some fuel intake injector boots for it as skidoo seems to have d/ced the part. Sadly, it ran great all season, I took it in to have a new recoil put on, they were looking it over, and noticed that all the boots had cracked.

So TL;DR, I am currently without one sled and faced with the prospect of hauling/tandeming on the Apex. For folks w/ experience, would it be better to ride 2 on the sled (seat's long enough to do this) or to tandem over the highway. Seems like a super long way to tow someone and I've never been on that side of the rope. What's easier on the machine?

Side note- anyone know how I can go about locating the injector boots for the skidoo? it's a 2000 touring LE 440. I already tried eBay- anyone on here maybe have some ?

Quote Originally Posted by Wymontchoppers View Post
    ^^^ Gorgeous.

Questions about tandeming... the place we normally ride requires a 10-15mi ride on a wide route that is sometimes groomed midwinter (it's a 2-lane highway in the summer). Depending on what you're skiing there are additional miles to be ridden as well.

We just picked up a Yamaha Apex Mountain (big burly mountain sled) that has been running great... with one. Our little polluter, a Skidoo Touring LE has been in the shop for a couple of weeks as the mechanics deftly attempt to locate some fuel intake injector boots for it as skidoo seems to have d/ced the part. Sadly, it ran great all season, I took it in to have a new recoil put on, they were looking it over, and noticed that all the boots had cracked.

So TL;DR, I am currently without one sled and faced with the prospect of hauling/tandeming on the Apex. For folks w/ experience, would it be better to ride 2 on the sled (seat's long enough to do this) or to tandem over the highway. Seems like a super long way to tow someone and I've never been on that side of the rope. What's easier on the machine?

Side note- anyone know how I can go about locating the injector boots for the skidoo? it's a 2000 touring LE 440. I already tried eBay- anyone on here maybe have some ?
    Are you tandemning your bro or your girlfriend? One option is much more pleasant sitting down and if the road is groomed.

Didn't make a a difference to the machine. What's more comfortable for you? Try googling sled wreckers/ pick a parts near you. That might be your best bet

Quote Originally Posted by Wymontchoppers View Post
    Two-up motorcycle-style. On a shorter seat, it's still be possible to have the passenger ride in front of the driver, uncomfortably close to the handlebars, with the driver standing behind. That road is way too f'ing long to tandem, IMO, and I've tried. Standing in the same position for that long requires a lot of muscle endurance; it might be possible if it's freshly groomed, but definitely not when it's beat to shit.

I'm pretty sure I'd rather be towed than ride that far tandem, but that would be a long tow, too. Both times I've done it two-up, the second sled was the towee, so it was a wee bit difficult to also tow a skier.

I’d rather tow if I had a harness and the road wasn’t all woopdedoos.

Tandem for sure. It takes a bit for you and your partner to get in sync but its waaaay easier and less tiring.
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

With my wife she sits on the front of the seat and holds onto the middle of the bars, I reach over her and steer, helps if you aren’t wearing a full face helmet as you usually end up constantly banging the mouth guard on the passengers helmet. This one can can be tough on whooped trails.

With a buddy, ‘canadian’. If it’s a long bumpy ride in, switch sides every couple of km, and each person takes a turn putting one knee on the seat to rest a leg.

Seconded on Canadian. I ride up to WA pass a bunch, about the same distance you mentioned, usually more skiers than sleds. You can go terrifyingly fast Canadian, but hard on the legs, eh? I don't really mind towing, I use a bike inner tube around my waist. Tie a loop in the tow rope maybe eigh feet from the tail, feed tail through carabiner holding the tube around your waist, then feed tail through the loop you made in step one, then grasp tail. If anything goes wrong, drop the tail, it all feeds back out and you are clear. This rig puts the pull on your hips instead of arms and shoulders. Sounds crazy to tie in, but try it and see how you feel. I'm a kayaker, I don't like the idea any more than you but it works. I've done a 100+ miles of towing a week like this.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...