Page 86 of 167 FirstFirst ... 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 ... LastLast
Results 2,126 to 2,150 of 4154
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    ^^Especially if it's ethanol.

If you live at high elevation (over 6-7k), running lower octane is fine. It's also more likely that you'll be getting fresher gas too since fewer people go through 91 at most gas stations.
    In fact, a quick Google is showing me that Arctic Cat specs 87 octane for a 2007 M8. So unless there's a fuel controller or other mods that require the higher octane (which you don't have), you'll actually run better on the lower octane fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    In fact, a quick Google is showing me that Arctic Cat specs 87 octane for a 2007 M8. So unless there's a fuel controller or other mods that require the higher octane (which you don't have), you'll actually run better on the lower octane fuel.
    Unfortunately, going for 91 is the only way to get ethanol free here, and while I don't need the higher octane, I strongly believe that corn alcohol belongs in a glass, not in gasoline.

Other input bored, many thanks. I'll post up again when I get a chance to work on the sled again. Just got to Fernie, and the number of sled haulers headed south had me wondering if bringing the trailer would've been worth it.

Should have! Full on winter and hopefully we get good visibility. The sledding is great right now. Let me know when you are in canmore /banff area.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1492155764251.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	204409 Sled skiing in Finland. Btw. Is there good ski rack for old switchback? And also sold this side of the pond?

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    Unfortunately, going for 91 is the only way to get ethanol free here, and while I don't need the higher octane, I strongly believe that corn alcohol belongs in a glass, not in gasoline.

Other input bored, many thanks. I'll post up again when I get a chance to work on the sled again. Just got to Fernie, and the number of sled haulers headed south had me wondering if bringing the trailer would've been worth it.
    Good call. If you live at elevation and octane doesn't matter, ethanol definitely does. I don't let that shit in my sled for more than a week. I'd buy airplane octane if I could get it without corn syrup.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by Ville View Post

Name:	1492155764251.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	204409 Sled skiing in Finland. Btw. Is there good ski rack for old switchback? And also sold this side of the pond?
    I bet cheetah or tiny mo pros would ship to you.

I just build my own out of uhmw blocks, aluminum stock and snowboard straps.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

I bet cheetah or tiny mo pros would ship to you.

I just build my own out of uhmw blocks, aluminum stock and snowboard straps.
    Could you upload some pics? DIY is always the best 😊

Quote Originally Posted by crashidy View Post
    Should have! Full on winter and hopefully we get good visibility. The sledding is great right now. Let me know when you are in canmore /banff area.
    Picking up my girlfriend later tonight at YYC, headed to Kicking Horse for closing day, then to Banff for the rest of the week, planning to do a bit of touring in the national park and lift served at Lake Louise and SSV days we're not touring. Local tips and/or recommendations for things not to miss, on or off snow, and/or meeting up for beverages would be sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ville View Post
    Could you upload some pics? DIY is always the best ��
    https://www.snowest.com/forum/showpo...7&postcount=80

The current version. Same idea, a little better execution

Name:	LTDrackleft.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	576.2 KB 
ID:	204534Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LTDrackright.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	454.8 KB 
ID:	204535

You guys should have called me out...I couldn't sleep the past couple nights and went through this entire thread. Tons of detailed info covering many aspects discussed recently, funny predictions that did/didn't come true and LOTS of info on the previous gen of sleds which were, at the time, new.

Quote Originally Posted by cycology1 View Post
    funny predictions that did/didn't come true
    ooh

Post them. This thread is old enough there have got to be some gems.

Check out our products for sled access skiing and snowboarding. We actually just released our latest bracket design which features a LIFETIME WARRANTY.

The weight is 171 Grams, as much as an iPhone 7....have a look at www.mo-pros.com

Name:	Snowmobile_Tsaina Rack_Arctic Cat_Backcountry United_Gas_Ice Fishing_Polaris_Skiing_CFR_Cheetah .jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	553.9 KB 
ID:	208965

Name:	Ice Auger_LinQ SnowboardSki_LinQ System_Rack_Ski_Ski-doo_Snowbike_Backcountry_CFR_Cheetah Factor.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	208964

Hey check it out, spammer is back.

This is awesome, Im 30 pages in and around the brand xyz sucks and engine nmo is a generate, their is some really awesome stuff in here. I'm taking the plunge this fall and joining my sledding buddies. The goal is to sled-ski, but from what they say I'll hang up the skis and just be a sled Neck in no time, we will see.

I had a few questions that I haven't been able to totally figure out yet, what do you guys carry on your self or on your sleds safety gear wise, other then basic Avi/backcountry skiing gear?

My roommate is a snowboarder and said skiers tend to put plastic or wood blocks at the front of the rails so ski boots don't get caught, have you guys heard of skiers doing this, or is he full of crap?

Sounds like I'll be good in AT boots as long as they have rubber from the heel to toe, so my Lang Freetours should work?

I'm looking at a Polaris RMK Pro 163 or 174 (I should probably get a used sled by I'm not that smart and I like warranties), are tunnel stiffeners just about mandatory if I'm going to mount ski/board racks on it?

All my buddies have Polaris RMK Pros (except that one guy whose name no one remembers who has a 1997 Green arctic cat that just won't die) and they seem to have pretty good luck with them, is their a strong argument for taking a look at other brands? If I can get a track with 3in paddles, should I even consider anything else? Are after market fenders a good idea to help prevent damage to body, or are they things guys who sit behind a desk 80 hours a week buy because it's a good idea, but realistically only use their sled twice a winter so it doesn't matter?

I've spent some time messing around with custom built race cars and we are always adjusting the fuel air ration for elevation, how sensitive are sled engines to elevation changes, and do most dealers have the ability to set up a sled for your elevation? I'm going to wait a few winters before I start playing with the intake, exhaust and turbos, but I'd like to not worry about power being there when I need it.

Thanks. I'll keep reading and hopefully get home from work in time for the snow to fly and start sledding

If you're able to buy a new one a or one a year old with warranty that's a great start. The polaris are nice though a bit tippy and a little less sturdy for tandem sled skiing. I've never seen any one or wood in the foot holds. Some models are more prone to grabbing. As far as side panels just some venting is all that is needed. Your Lange's so be fine. Tunnel stiffeners are a good idea. All the new ones are fuel injected and adjust for elevation. Clutching is easy to change. Who offers good service around you? And what your friends ride are often good considerations. Familiarity with on trail repair.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    This is awesome, Im 30 pages in and around the brand xyz sucks and engine nmo is a generate, their is some really awesome stuff in here. I'm taking the plunge this fall and joining my sledding buddies. The goal is to sled-ski, but from what they say I'll hang up the skis and just be a sled Neck in no time, we will see.

I had a few questions that I haven't been able to totally figure out yet, what do you guys carry on your self or on your sleds safety gear wise, other then basic Avi/backcountry skiing gear?

My roommate is a snowboarder and said skiers tend to put plastic or wood blocks at the front of the rails so ski boots don't get caught, have you guys heard of skiers doing this, or is he full of crap?

Sounds like I'll be good in AT boots as long as they have rubber from the heel to toe, so my Lang Freetours should work?

I'm looking at a Polaris RMK Pro 163 or 174 (I should probably get a used sled by I'm not that smart and I like warranties), are tunnel stiffeners just about mandatory if I'm going to mount ski/board racks on it?

All my buddies have Polaris RMK Pros (except that one guy whose name no one remembers who has a 1997 Green arctic cat that just won't die) and they seem to have pretty good luck with them, is their a strong argument for taking a look at other brands? If I can get a track with 3in paddles, should I even consider anything else? Are after market fenders a good idea to help prevent damage to body, or are they things guys who sit behind a desk 80 hours a week buy because it's a good idea, but realistically only use their sled twice a winter so it doesn't matter?

I've spent some time messing around with custom built race cars and we are always adjusting the fuel air ration for elevation, how sensitive are sled engines to elevation changes, and do most dealers have the ability to set up a sled for your elevation? I'm going to wait a few winters before I start playing with the intake, exhaust and turbos, but I'd like to not worry about power being there when I need it.

Thanks. I'll keep reading and hopefully get home from work in time for the snow to fly and start sledding
    Skiing is still fun. You'll still do it once you realize you'll never duplicate the lightweight nimble ability of skis to get you into crazy places. What will likely happen is that you'll just grab the sled when you know the snow's not that good/safe and have a lot of fun in low angle terrain on the sled. Or use that time to explore on the sled and figure out how to get to new areas.

Ski boots (which includes AT boots) suck dick to ride in. Especially to learn how to ride. Get lots of days without them (snowboard boots work great) and really learn how to ride before going out on deep days in ski boots. And yeah they're dangerous. Your toe buckle can get caught in the foot wells and cause problems. Hence the blockoff plates.

Any newer sled is fuel injected so it's not like you need to mess with carb jetting. There's a whole other level of electrical problems this brings about but it's not like you'll need to address them unprompted.

Any sled made after 2013 of any brand but yamaha is legit. All three brands have their strengths and weaknesses. Anyone who's only owned one brand forever has no point of reference so take their opinions with a grain of salt. I've had great days skiing with all of them and I've had stressful days cut short (or unintentionally lengthened) by all them as well.

Skiing is still fun. You'll still do it once you realize you'll never duplicate the lightweight nimble ability of skis to get you into crazy places. What will likely happen is that you'll just grab the sled when you know the snow's not that good/safe and have a lot of fun in low angle terrain on the sled. Or use that time to explore on the sled and figure out how to get to new areas.

Ski boots (which includes AT boots) suck dick to ride in. Especially to learn how to ride. Get lots of days without them (snowboard boots work great) and really learn how to ride before going out on deep days in ski boots. And yeah they're dangerous. Your toe buckle can get caught in the foot wells and cause problems. Hence the blockoff plates.

Any newer sled is fuel injected so it's not like you need to mess with carb jetting. There's a whole other level of electrical problems this brings about but it's not like you'll need to address them unprompted.

Any sled made after 2013 of any brand but yamaha is legit. All three brands have their strengths and weaknesses. Anyone who's only owned one brand forever has no point of reference so take their opinions with a grain of salt. I've had great days skiing with all of them and I've had stressful days cut short (or unintentionally lengthened) by all them as well.
    Thanks for the quick responses, I'm not the only one thinking about winter.

That's my goal, minimize the shitty days sitting in chairlifts. I'll always love tram laps, I mean really, who doesn't love tram laps, but not being part of the craziness on subpar and crappy days will be nice. Exploring new areas with our having to skin for hours will be awesome.

My roommate is hooking me up with a pair of used snowboard boots, which probably means I'll be guilted into cleaning the bathroom all winter, so many it's not a hook up... I don't really use the tow buckles on my boots since I put high volume intuitions in them, would taking the tow buckle of not be a bad idea? Or should I just always keep it buckled to keep the lowest profile possible? Are we approaching Tech Talk topics and should I move this part of the conversation over there? Do you, or does anyone, have pictures of their block off plates so I can see what I'm looking for?

The plan is to sled this winter with the sled in its stock configuration then start messing with things next summer. I'll venture down that path then. Sleds break, but no need to make it more likely this winter.

So sled brand loyalty is like ski brand loyalty? Those Rossis suck because they aren't Volkls, but I've never been on them, but I know? That sort of thing? Does anyone have time in multiple brands and can comment on pros or cons? Or is their a WildSnow or BlisterGearReview for sleds? I've been reading on SnoWest and Mountain Sledder, are their other websites that are packed with more useful info?

I hate to open this can of worms because everyone has a different opinion, but it appears the general consensus is to just get a Cheetah Factory Racing (or similar) rack and ski/board mount. DIY is possible, but risky?

I've cut the toe buckles off my boots before and it's fine. You might get slightly wet toes but you know intuitions only have two states anyway.....sweat and not being worn. I've never blocked off the toe wells. I actually use the space up there to get forward over the skis.

Brand loyalty in sleds blows away the counterparts in any other sport I've been in. There's really only three of them so it gets more intense/bull headed. And they're really expensive so everyone likes to convince themselves they got the best one.

For comfort sledding, then skiing I put my intuitions in size bigger snowboard boot, then switch over when it's time to ski. I built a rack to hold boots solidly too. Cheetahs are fine and as annoying as that tiny mopros guy is, those are also really good racks. Those would certainly be my top two recs. Some of the manufacturers make their own racks now and they seem okay. I make my own but that's because I'm very specific about how I want to my rack to work and how things get mounted.

First ski boots suck ass on sleds, do yourself a favor and wear snowboard boots and strap ski boots in a boot bag until ready to ski.

Buy a sled with fuel injection, less dicking around with jetting.

No need for fenders, no mud in the winter.....

Polaris has a reputation for bad motors.

3" track is a game changer, if you have the cash buy as new as possible with no mods.

Get a quality rack, don't cheap out.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

^^!on the quality rack. Seems like we are always messing with my buddies DIY set up

Finally made it all the way through. Thanks for the info. I'll probably just put an order in with CFR for the simplicity of it.

I'm definitely planning on getting a 3" track. Any strong arguments for a 155, 16X or 17X length track? Is it as simple as longer has more surface area so I'll float better and won't get stuck as often? My plan is primarily sled skiing, but I'm sure I'll be out dicking around in powder.

I'll probably stick with keeping the toe buckles on to start and see how it goes from there. The thought of getting a size larger snowboard boot sounds awesome. How hard are the ski boots to get on once you switch to skiing? My boots are all tight, and if the shells are not 70 or warmer, good luck getting into them with out a few F bombs. Putting them on cold, well, sounds miserable, but is it less miserable then sledding in ski boots?

I use touring boots when sled skiing. Once you know how to ride it's not the worst thing in the world. The linq rack from cfr is super sick. I would go 16x for sled skiing especially if you plan on getting a 3inch. A lot of good info in the thread.

Track length depends a lot of snow type IMO.

Rockies blower? Long for sure.

Pacific maritime? Shorter is just fine.

And yeah it's a surface area thing.

Shorter tracks turn easier. I'm 5'8" and 160lbs so that kind of thing matters to me. Learning to ride will be easier on a longer track because you have a little bigger margin of error.

The system I use of ski liners in snowboard boots then stuffing them in can be a slight hassle in super cold temps, because yes, you know what ski boot shells do when they get cold. Intuitions stuff in a little easier. Not the end of the world though. I've been riding sleds for about 11 years now and I don't give a shit, riding in ski boots sucks dick. AT boots are still ski boots. Not a biggie if you're just sitting on your ass on a groomer but I friggin hate it in real snow/real riding conditions.

I'm in Wyoming and with our snow I think going longer will be better.

What do you guys think about a 2014 RMK Pro 163 with 2500 miles on it for $7k? I found 3 or 4 of these at Rexberg Motorsports and am waiting on more info about them from the shop. Do you think they were rentals and are beat/ticking time bombs? Or worth saving $7-8k compared to a new sled? I really was only considering new sleds because of the warranty, but now I'm not sure. I think this might be a case of if it's too good to be true it probably is. http://www.gearhead.com/m/showcase_u...19860&status=2

That 7 or 8 grand is USA money will buy you brand new of you want to visit canuckistan for a day. I bought s 2015 163 skidoo summit 800 with less than 500 miles and a cover, gas can and pipe for 9500 Canadian.
    The market here is so saturated with used sleds. For the short drive you could probably save a ton