Page 84 of 167 FirstFirst ... 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 ... LastLast
Results 2,076 to 2,100 of 4154
    Yeah pretty Frickin stoked. Hopefully elkford gets some snow this year. Just need to order up the cfr linq rack now. Probably a week or so before i can get out on the red donkey. Hopefully get out and play the 15thish in Purcell's

Quote Originally Posted by crashidy View Post
    Yeah pretty Frickin stoked. Hopefully elkford gets some snow this year. Just need to order up the cfr linq rack now. Probably a week or so before i can get out on the red donkey. Hopefully get out and play the 15thish in Purcell's
    I just installed the Link it up rack. Its awesome- well worth it if you are using other LinQ products.

Sorry for the shitty pic but there are too many pics of dry sleds on here right now...

Last weekend was not too bad.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6021.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	153.5 KB 
ID:	195659

This one proves there was a person attached:

Name:  IMG_6019.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  137.0 KB

^

O-face.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Just purchased a 06 Summit 800 163" track and currently exploring options for ski racks. Was thinking of buying these clamps: http://www.harborfreight.com/12-inch...amp-96214.html and securing them to the tunnel via some mounts made from aluminum angle stock. Seems like the clamps should hold skis relatively well and would likely only end up spending around $10-12 total per rack. Any recommendations on sizes of bolts to mount though the tunnel? Any structural integrity concerns with drilling holes past a certain diameter through the tunnel?

Quote Originally Posted by sp543 View Post
    Just purchased a 06 Summit 800 163" track and currently exploring options for ski racks. Was thinking of buying these clamps: http://www.harborfreight.com/12-inch...amp-96214.html and securing them to the tunnel via some mounts made from aluminum angle stock. Seems like the clamps should hold skis relatively well and would likely only end up spending around $10-12 total per rack. Any recommendations on sizes of bolts to mount though the tunnel? Any structural integrity concerns with drilling holes past a certain diameter through the tunnel?
    No, no, and god no.

Not seeing how those will work?

A good rack will make life much easier and carry more than just skis.

I see what your are thinking however i promise you those will slowly let loose resulting in damage to skis or clamp or tunnel. Your biggest concern is to not drill through the cooler in the tunnel. It is pretty obvious. If you read this whole thread there are plenty of pictures of DIY racks and description of what works.
    Cheetah factory racing
    Knight rider racks
    Mopros

I have had s couple cfr and in my opinion can't be beat.

I also just installed the linq rack, pricey but worth it to have your gear and not f around.

Backcountry United rack

One roll over and that rack looks like it would be toast!

Quote Originally Posted by sp543 View Post
    Are you being serious?

a good rack goes a long way. Sleds and skis are expensive. Why anyone would want to cheap out a quality rack is beyond me... 12$ rack that breaks your skis or tunnel is not a deal... I have seen 1 bent tunnel, 2 broken skis and a busted snowboard, all attached to DIY racks over the years.

I am huge fan of CFR, the product is durable and the company is top notch. I have been running CFR racks for about 8 years now and would never go back.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

One roll over and that rack looks like it would be toast!
    Untrue. I've rolled it over too many times to count. No damage. Nylon washers allow it to move if necessary

With it up and board or skis on? Would be curious to see one in person. From pictures if looks like it would get demolished. That's a lot of height /torsion to place on those bits.

With it up and board or skis on? Would be curious to see one in person. From pictures if looks like it would get demolished. That's a lot of height /torsion to place on those bits.
    Yup. Do your handlebars and riser get demolished in a roll over? No but they can move slightly which is what you want. The rack is a very stout system manufactured by Skinz.

That being said everything has a failure point. I do boondock with boards on sometimes but don't jump the sled with them on. I do like to take the snowboards off when rolling it over when stuck anything but deep powder. I like my gear.

What's the consensus on the old x-racks....I've got one in storage I used on an older lowrider Doo summit 600 . As I remember, it was pita when rear end would get buried. Been using a home made dealio for last 5 years on a later model summit 800 and it's really only good for 1 board or set of skis. (1st one in line in pic - janky home made) Thinking of pulling out the old x rack...Anybody still using an x rack round here?

Name:	IMG_20170108_110044270.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	1,002.8 KB 
ID:	196835
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

Name:	20170310_134028_002.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	202220

Name:	20170310_134036_001.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	202221

Name:	20170310_134013_037.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	202222

So good yesterday

Name:	DSC_1007.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	807.7 KB 
ID:	202399

Name:	DSC_1118.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	779.9 KB 
ID:	202400
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

Haven't had that in weeks. So jealous

Quote Originally Posted by MiCol View Post
    What's the consensus on the old x-racks....I've got one in storage I used on an older lowrider Doo summit 600 . As I remember, it was pita when rear end would get buried. Been using a home made dealio for last 5 years on a later model summit 800 and it's really only good for 1 board or set of skis. (1st one in line in pic - janky home made) Thinking of pulling out the old x rack...Anybody still using an x rack round here?

Name:	IMG_20170108_110044270.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	1,002.8 KB 
ID:	196835
    Still have mine.
    They work fine, I just yank them off if the stuck is too bad.

Hey, Ive seen a few references in this long thread but looking for a bit more direct into.

Basic requirements for sled access skiing?

Me - been skinning up to get turns in / around Summit Co for 7 years, but am interested in getting some turns further back without a 5-6 hour slog (not necessarily in/around Summit). Probably have time to get in 5-6 big weekend trips a season. All have avy gear relative to skiing/knowledge etc.

2 sleds, thinking one much newer and other 2009-11 era? Some deals now on 2017 RMKs and then perhaps an older RMK or Mx000 something.

Thoughts?

Not really interested YET in mountain sledding or highmarking etc), but hear it grows on you quick so the new/good deal on the 2017 RMKs seems smart (ie warranty, dont buy someone elses issue and no need to upgrade). The crated 2017 RMK 800s are below $10,000 with incentives. Figure it would last a while and the new gen (AXYS) has great reviews.

Is there much more to it? Probably only 3-5 people in core group I would go with.

Tons of people here have learned lessons. Advice?

Quote Originally Posted by cycology1 View Post
    Basic requirements for sled access skiing?
    Short answer: Motor. Track.

Longer answer: depends on where you want to go. The popular sled access places (Vail Pass, Montezuma, Jones Pass, Buffalo Pass, etc) have groomed roads, just about anything that runs will get you where you need to go. If you want to bust trail into more unusual/remote places, you'll need a mountain sled. The better the sled and the better you are at driving it, the more places you can go.

2 sleds, thinking one much newer and other 2009-11 era? Some deals now on 2017 RMKs and then perhaps an older RMK or Mx000 something.
    You can do this if you have the money but it's overkill, especially for someone new.

Not really interested YET in mountain sledding or highmarking etc), but hear it grows on you quick so the new/good deal on the 2017 RMKs seems smart (ie warranty, dont buy someone elses issue and no need to upgrade). The crated 2017 RMK 800s are below $10,000 with incentives. Figure it would last a while and the new gen (AXYS) has great reviews.
    If the warranty is worth it to you, sure, go new. I don't know much about the new sleds as I'm not in the market. However most of my ski friends that are buying newer sleds are gravitating towards the Ski Doos as they have a reputation for being the easiest to ride in deep snow.

Is there much more to it? Probably only 3-5 people in core group I would go with.
    Yes. Riding a sled in untracked snow is HARD. It takes practice and time to learn. You'll get stuck a lot. You'll probably hit a tree or two. Something will break. You'll quickly learn that the more people you pile onto a sled, the more limited you are in where you can go and what you can do, and problems/difficulties increase exponentially. (So good call on buying two sleds.) Make friends with people that already have sleds.

A sled is an amazing tool to have at your disposal but they ain't no magic bullet. You'll have frustrating days, and amazing ones.

We snowborders like skidoo because they are the best at tandem riding. Artic cats are loud and obnoxious. RMK are amazing off trail and just too tippy for two up riding.

If you are a skier and plan on towing then all that doesn't matter as much.

You don't need a mountain sled to do laps. A trail sled will do the job easily. If you do get a mountain sled then just like all the rest of us the boondocking will start to interfere with your skiing. It is stupid fun (and expensive) to toss them around in powder.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    We snowborders like skidoo because they are the best at tandem riding. Artic cats are loud and obnoxious. RMK are amazing off trail and just too tippy for two up riding.
    My friends and I must be awesome. We have no problems tandeming with any of those three.

Had to bail off an xm this morning on a steep climb that bounced it off actually (doing a retrieval after going to the top 10min earlier on an arctic cat)

Those claims sound like 2007 stuck around or something.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Nope we are all on modern snowmobiles. Track length, rider weight, suspension settings, etc make the issue different i guess. I'll stick with skidoo for the present time.

...And you are awesome if you think you are awesome... Don't matter to me
    Last edited by simple; 04-10-2017 at 02:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    ...And you are awesome if you think you are awesome...

Name:  4dc7d3944c840094799b3c650ea49bb0_image-gallery-woohoo-meme-homer-simpson-woohoo-meme_240-213.jpeg
Views: 828
Size:  20.3 KB