Page 80 of 167 FirstFirst ... 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 ... LastLast
Results 1,976 to 2,000 of 4154
    Quote Originally Posted by eldereldo View Post
    Yeh, saw the Alternative kits when I was looking at options. About half the price of Cat, but Cat would also have the new spindle and more laid back design. Have to go look at a 2016 first. Guess they also redesigned the rails and front arm to make it come up onto the snow better. Thinking I will just keep it the way it is for next winter, then look at getting a 2016 hold over in the spring of 2017, unless they finally come out with the 800 C-Tec.
    If you call the alt guys, ask them if their arms get the same angle as the newer cat ones. I couldn't find a good answer. I know they're forward but I think the angle is probably the same.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Time to bump this to the top. New sleds are arriving, snow is falling up high, and hope is up for a better ski season this year. What has everyone done to their sleds over the summer, or are planning on doing before the season starts? I replaced the front skis on my 2014 M8000 with SLP Powder Pros last spring, only got one ride in, and it was in hard conditions, so no real idea of much better they are then the stockers, but since that has always been one of the recommended replacements, I have high hopes. Nothing else on the sled, decided to just get better at riding before fooling around with the hardware. Will pick up a set of ski holders for the rack, and bought a barely used BCA Avy Pack for a bit of piece of mind. But mostly it is try to ride more and start actually using the sled to ski.

Glad to see this back. A T-motion kit for my XP just showed up at my door!

New primary, rebuild all shocks add gas,oil and pull the cord on the old m7. Not sure how much riding I'll get in this year with starting a new business...

I drained the old gas!

Like.....recently for some reason.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Started the 13 snowpro once a month this summer just to keep the gas moving. I ended up picking up an 02 Yamaha apex 4 stroke with only 600 miles on it. Yes I have heard all of horror stories about how heavy the sled is but, for less than $400 it will be a perfect backup sled at the cabin. I am kind of looking froward to see how much power a 1000cc 4 stroke has.

The yammis make good power about 150ish but they weigh 600+lbs. They are very nice cruiser sleds for the lakes and trails.

That's what I hear Pano.
    The down side of it excelling on lakes and trails is that our cabin is on Rabbit Ears pass and there is neither. With that said there is lots of untracked power fields to play in and hills to climb. Luckily it is the long track version.

^^^Rabbit Ears Village?

Maggot snowmobile thread

Bingo Foggy. You know the area?
    We bought a place there in the spring of 14 and love it. Living in Fort Collins it is so nice to be able to avoid 70 completely. Oh and to be able to ride the sled right from the garage.
    Last edited by danadog; 09-20-2015 at 01:19 PM.

I'm cashing out of skidoos and converting to a turbo nitro ...

I'm already used to a big heavy sled so I might as well get big hp to go with it. no 2stroke can tandum like the turbos. we only play above 2000m, and as high as 2700m. my sled really struggles to breath up there.

so I have alot RT1000 parts and 3sleds to get rid of. $3800 for the lot ...
    We, the RATBAGGERS, formally axcept our duty is to trigger avalaches on all skiers ...

What a deal on the Apex.

Be my second season on sleds, and building a snowbike for this season.

Didn't fog sled, but fire it up every once in awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadam View Post
    I'm cashing out of skidoos and converting to a turbo nitro ...

I'm already used to a big heavy sled so I might as well get big hp to go with it. no 2stroke can tandum like the turbos. we only play above 2000m, and as high as 2700m. my sled really struggles to breath up there.

so I have alot RT1000 parts and 3sleds to get rid of. $3800 for the lot ...
    Oooooh reallly, should be some good reports from the ratbagger camp this season.....

Anyone AB or BC maggots want to buy my newer sled?

2009 Arctic Cat M1000 Sno pro LE. So the top model that year with all air shocks, Boss seat, telescoping handlebars, fancy gauges etc.

Has Sno Pro skis and some sort of lighter stainless steel aftermarket can.

Great sled but need to free up some cash to pay for the ski pass this season.

3,500 km. Listed it on Kijiji for $5,900 Cnd but can do better than that for a maggot.

This pic is the sled, but mine has the seat by Boss that was a factory option.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1444108721.179407.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	261.1 KB 
ID:	170188

Saw that one on kijiji, nice machine. If i didn't buy a moto this summer i would be in the market.

Quote Originally Posted by danadog View Post
    Bingo Foggy. You know the area?
    We bought a place there in the spring of 14 and love it. Living in Fort Collins it is so nice to be able to avoid 70 completely. Oh and to be able to ride the sled right from the garage.
    Soon the be on the Timbersled conversion myself...
    Out the garage should be possible for sleds here, but it isn't due to local law enforcement.
    The snow-bike conversions OTOH have potential, albeit in the gray area margins.

A friends kickstarter project for Snowmobile based avy education.

"A motorized approach to avalanche survival

Project Goals:

1. Develop a free social media tool used to raise awareness and educate the snowmobile community about the importance of avalanche prevention.

2. Help increase the knowledge of the professional avalanche community through researching the snowmobile’s impact on the snowpack.

3. Produce a fun, exciting 6-8 minute documentary, webisode series with high level riding and life style content to keep viewers engaged.

4. Work with avalanche organizations in six high use areas of North America, and help promote their messaging."

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...?ref=discovery
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

Alright, what's the best dirtbag sled?

I have an 05 Cat M7 for myself. I don't get out on it as much as I should because most of my usual and most trusted backcountry partners don't have sleds. Lots of them are sled-curious, though. Tossing around the idea of picking up a CHEAP second sled to entice some of my regular ski partners to get out exploring more on the sleds, which will likely lead to some of them purchasing their own.

Obviously at this price point things are going to vary widely based on condition and care, but generally speaking, what's the best buy for about $1000-1500? By "best" I mean typically most reliable engines/electronics/etc, cheapest to maintain, and able to drive up easy groomed or packed roads. Not needing to go out and break trail through 2ft of fresh in this, or tandem up steeper stuff - have my sled for that. Have heard the 2000-ish Cat Powder Specials are decent enough, but curious what else should be on my radar. I'm plenty mechanically inclined and willing to wrench, just can't pour a bunch of money into something right now.

1995-2001 Ski-Doo Summit.

Or if you are truly just using it on packed roads, maybe a fan cooled trail sled? less overheating issues, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    1995-2001 Ski-Doo Summit.

Or if you are truly just using it on packed roads, maybe a fan cooled trail sled? less overheating issues, etc.
    I agree. I also liked the early 2000's Yamaha Vipers. A little heavy but the triple sounds sweeeeeet. I never heard of any major problems with them and know of a few still running around with 6-7000 miles.

Brief research - sounds like the Summit 800s had issues, including in that timeframe and later, but the 600s and 700s did not? Is that a fair assessment?

And yes, all of the places I'm looking to access, at least this year, have groomed or well-traveled roads. Off-trail travel will be minimal.

Trying to show them the terrain they can get to with a sled? Or sledding itself? If the former, just tow them up the road with the sled you've already got. Might be worth getting another M7. Common parts, common maintenance knowledge. I've seen M7's for $2500 CAD, in my experience things are a lot cheaper in the states, might be able to find one in your price range? Or an M6 of the same generation.

Yeah get one of the 6 or 700s (even from Polaris from that era as well).

A buddy of mine still has an 01 summit 600 going strong.

Kind of agree with squatch about an m7. I just don't think you'll find one that cheap.

Towing/tandeming/etc sucks for anything more than a couple miles. I've been doing that. A lot of this terrain will be new to me (folks just bought a place right in the middle of some promising terrain) so having a couple sleds to go explore the area would be ideal. More sleds=more easier.

M7s (and even M6s) are well sought after here and go for more money than I'm willing to spend on a second sled. If I had $3k to spend that's absolutely what I'd do, but I don't.

Rmk 6/7
    Powder Special 6/7

Or maybe some kind of wide track/2up/work sled if you truly are just staying on the groomed. A friend of mind kinda runs a snowmobile graveyard and specializes in making well running RMKs from wrecks/blow'd motors/parts sleds. Next time I see him I'll see what he's got.