Page 79 of 167 FirstFirst ... 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,975 of 4154
    Have you adjusted your limiting strap?

My question now: Are people really spending $6,000 on a turbo kit? I'd like more power for my 800 etec but damn that price is stupid high

Quote Originally Posted by fortort View Post
    Is there such a thing as a snowmobile raising kit? I have a 2001 Skidoo Summit 800 Highmark X (151') that seems to ride a little low. I was thinking of raising it up a little to reduce stucks in deeper snow (also thinking of maybe putting on a 163' track this summer).

Thoughts?
    Yup called drop brackets. They replace the stock brackets where the skid attaches to the tunnel in the rear.

if your skid is sagging you need new torsion springs and shock serviced. Probably full of h20 and no nitrogen left.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post

My question now: Are people really spending $6,000 on a turbo kit? I'd like more power for my 800 etec but damn that price is stupid high
    There is lots of power in the etec, trouble is getting it to the track.
    Clutching makes a big difference.

Clutch maintenance is a big helper also, blow out after each ride, clean with soap and h20 and new belt after every 1000km.

That old, you probably need to replace or rebuild springs and shocks.

What are you doing that you feel you need more power?

Maggot snowmobile thread

Boondocking in wolf creek last weekend was the first time my XP 154 felt limited. Now i'm thinking either go XM 163 or turbo existing sled.

It was a stuckfest for all including pro turbo sleds. Super fun but exhausting my back still hurts haha

I heard Wolfcree was all time deep. *too* deep.

Honestly I'm getting a turbo but its not because I need one and its doing so eyes wide open. They can be a mess.

The best answer is to go T3 163 or 174. Or give the new Polaris Axys 3" 163 a try...

Yeh,don't think power is the solution to deep snow, you will just dig yourself a bigger hole. More surface area, and lighter weight is better. If you want to climb straight up things,turbo away...

Is there such a thing as a snowmobile raising kit? I have a 2001 Skidoo Summit 800 Highmark X (151') that seems to ride a little low. I was thinking of raising it up a little to reduce stucks in deeper snow (also thinking of maybe putting on a 163' track this summer).

Thoughts?
    As said, new torsion springs first. They're probably beat at this point.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Because there aren't many sled pics from Japan, here is the poachninja mobile from a couple weeks back...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1425633645768.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	164872  
    Days on snow this season: 54 Last Season: 83

www.poachninja.com

Boondocking in wolf creek last weekend was the first time my XP 154 felt limited. Now i'm thinking either go XM 163 or turbo existing sled.

It was a stuckfest for all including pro turbo sleds. Super fun but exhausting my back still hurts haha
    better off spending turbo money on a slightly used t3 174 as said.
    Turbos are like mistresses fun but can cause alot of pain and maybe a divorce when things go bad....

Quote Originally Posted by StuntCok View Post
    Because there aren't many sled pics from Japan, here is the poachninja mobile from a couple weeks back...
    What are access rules like in Japan? Limited and structured, or....?

Quote Originally Posted by Mannix View Post
    What are access rules like in Japan? Limited and structured, or....?
    That and what's it take to get a sled over there on a boat and/or what's the rental scene like?
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Thoughts?
    Drop brackets, as mentioned, will get the REAR of the skid farther out of the tunnel - problem there is if you go too far with that, the approach angle gets ayfongu. Then, if you lower the front scissor too much, the angle from the tips of the rails to the drivers gets less than bueno.

I know exactly what you mean/what you're after - my first sled was an 03 ZX 700. Compared to modern sleds, they suck in deep snow. Sorry. That said, a longer track can do _wonders_. Mine was a 144" track. Same profile as your 151" I believe. Taller paddles on outside than in the middle. I swapped mine for a 156" track, which was not only longer, but a true 2" paddle; the Camoplast Extreme pattern.

That made a HUGE difference.

If I were to do it again, though, I'd do 16" wide instead of 15 - it does fit - and probably smaller drivers/2.5" paddles, and as long as I could afford. It will never be a Rev/XP/XM, the motor way out front simply does not help a damned thing, but it'll be pretty good. Once I put the 156" on mine, things got pretty dramatically better - better than just the increase in surface area, IMHO, the track profile has to be more efficient/better/something.

If you go too crazy with drop brackets, you can create other problems - trenching/never getting on top of the snow.

Iain

Access is grey as sleds are rare and the ability to enforce rules would be impossible even if they had them. National parks are off limits but even then you can get permission from the local authorities, if you have the connections. There is nothing in the way of rentals. They are nigh on impossible to even buy. I shipped mine in from America.

www.poachninja.com

Quote Originally Posted by StuntCok View Post
    Access is grey as sleds are rare and the ability to enforce rules would be impossible even if they had them.
    StuntCok! What's up man! How you been! It's been far too long. It's good to see you!

We should really get together next winter and catch up.

It has been too long indeed. Moved to a job that blocked tgr and kinda fell off the radar. I decided to make an effort and reconnect with the maggots as I am getting sick of Facebook and can't get into the hipsterism on instagram.

www.poachninja.com

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Ha, it's a sunk cost and as reliable as one could hope for in this sport so I won't be moving it anytime soon. Holler if you wanna get out anytime.
    Finally got my rig put back together and the new top end broken in. Let's definitely get out sometime.

So some nice stuff on the new sleds this year, more 3" track options, and further tweeks, or upgrades to all makes. I have 2014 M8000, apparently new narrow front end can be retrofitted, clutches could be upgraded and of course track replaced, so I could probably have pretty much all of the 2016 stuff for <3000, way cheaper than trying to sell, and then buy new. Still have another year on warranty so that is fine.

Anyone else thinking of swapping, or updating.

Quote Originally Posted by eldereldo View Post
    So some nice stuff on the new sleds this year, more 3" track options, and further tweeks, or upgrades to all makes. I have 2014 M8000, apparently new narrow front end can be retrofitted, clutches could be upgraded and of course track replaced, so I could probably have pretty much all of the 2016 stuff for <3000, way cheaper than trying to sell, and then buy new. Still have another year on warranty so that is fine.

Anyone else thinking of swapping, or updating.
    Want to upgrade to the Axys. Bad. But a turbo in my Pro Ride (pump gas) has me thinking I'll be just fine for another year (assuming I don't grenade it).

Yeah I'll probably get a 2015 XM before the skidoo promotion ends this month. The more i ride one the more i feel how much better than the XP it is.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyJim View Post
    Want to upgrade to the Axys. Bad. But a turbo in my Pro Ride (pump gas) has me thinking I'll be just fine for another year (assuming I don't grenade it).
    first year model............don't ever do it

Skidoo in 2013 is about the only example I can think of where that didn't bite people in the ass. Your whistle rocket looks rad. I'm jealous.

Eldereldo: of all those 'upgrades' I wouldn't really look past the front end and clutches (and only clutches IF you end up having problems with yours). A long soft 3" track is rad in the fresh but gets a little spinny when tandeming up harder snow. You'll end up trenching your shuttle routes a little quicker. Not all bad, just something to think about. That front end stuff looks rad though. Just so you know, alternative impact is a fabricator who makes something similar if you want to try it. Should be cheaper than the arctic cat stuff.

Yeh, saw the Alternative kits when I was looking at options. About half the price of Cat, but Cat would also have the new spindle and more laid back design. Have to go look at a 2016 first. Guess they also redesigned the rails and front arm to make it come up onto the snow better. Thinking I will just keep it the way it is for next winter, then look at getting a 2016 hold over in the spring of 2017, unless they finally come out with the 800 C-Tec.

At the end of the day upgrading to the Axys will cost me money and not keep up with my turbo pro. So...yeah...my decision is made.

Likely go to a new belt drive and maybe a 2.6" track.