Page 78 of 167 FirstFirst ... 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 ... LastLast
Results 1,926 to 1,950 of 4154
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadam View Post
    funny as fark !!!

welcome to alberta ... no wait ...

welcome albertains to B.C.

would you like to pre program this number to your phone ???

wot number is that ???

search and rescue ...

why would i need that ???

cooz they can organize a heli evac of your broken polaris !!!
    Is that how the Cat-Doo people utilize grammer?

Cooz? Wot? Really?

My attempt at a homemade ski/snowboard rack. Cost about $30 in parts(aluminum+hardware) and feels really solid. It isn't perfect but I'm poor and it should do the trick. Gonna make one for the other side too since I tandem a lot.

Whew!

They fold down. That could have been ugly.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Whew!

They fold down. That could have been ugly.
    Made a small measurement mistake on the front one so that one doesn't fold down, when I make the other side I will fix the issue but it's not really worth fixing this one so I'll use it til it breaks and correct the issue on the replacement.

You might want a higher angle on the rack/skis or you could scrape the skis on the snow every time you hit a sharp terrain transition.

Quote Originally Posted by RidgeTop Productions View Post
    My attempt at a homemade ski/snowboard rack. Cost about $30 in parts(aluminum+hardware) and feels really solid. It isn't perfect but I'm poor and it should do the trick. Gonna make one for the other side too since I tandem a lot.

Did almost the same set up on my kids 670 summit.

Buddy got a nu on the snow machine.

watch out for snakes

Are those things good for anything except groomed trail access? Obviously no good if you have to deal with sidehills, but can they go uphill in deep powder?

Quote Originally Posted by eldereldo View Post
    Are those things good for anything except groomed trail access? Obviously no good if you have to deal with sidehills, but can they go uphill in deep powder?
    I wonder the same thing. I've seen tracked-atv tracks in some places that surprised me, but I've yet to have the opportunity to see one & goad the owner into driving it up over yonder, just to see. I'll even hold his beer.

On a somewhat related note, I had the opportunity to ride a 13 Skandic Widetrack - not the superwidetrack like mine - but with the 600 ACE motor.

I now get it when people look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them my skandic will climb stuff. The 600 ACE is probably a great motor for a garage door opener or something, but a sled? No. 600 ACE roughly equals a 550 fan in terms of output (quieter and better economy), but yow, I had no idea the difference would be THAT much. Small, somewhat steep up was difficult to get over on the ace WT. It took me several tries. Total nonissue for my ETEC 600 SWT.

NOW I get why people say utilities can't climb stuff. With 55hp, no, they freaking can't. Holy crap. My SWT is not a summit or pro or whatever mountain sled, but it climbs approximately 529 times better than the four stroke widetrack. I was shocked. It was bad. I knew it'd not be as good, but did not know it'd be that BAD.

Iain

The ATV thing can't be that good in anything but groomed. Just think about the numbers... (Float, horsepower, gearing, geometry...)

On an unrelated note the Axys looks siiiiccckkk...

Tell you this, it out performs his Ranger tracked out but of course can not carry as much, similar sized engines. Another friend uses his to access snowkite locations and he is a badazz rider.

These machines get used for work as well, maintaining a 25K tap sugar camp while climbing 30 degree grades to do so.
    watch out for snakes

No idea, other than that I've watched them coming back to the parking lot at the end of the day when the previously groomed trail has become thoroughly whooped out. Those things look fucking miserable in whoops.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyJim View Post
    The ATV thing can't be that good in anything but groomed. Just think about the numbers... (Float, horsepower, gearing, geometry...)
    That's what I thought, too, but I've seen evidence that they CAN get places. Thought it was two snowbike tracks, looked more closely, nope, was not. Rear diff was dragging. Dunno.

I'm not running out to buy one, but I think they're better than "we" think. That said, a place without roads, no. No way. The tracks I saw were up high, windswept, foot deep, tricky stuff, steep in spots, ehhh.

Lower elevation dark forest bottomless stuff with piles of brush and pinecones? Nope. No freaking way.

One of the 4 door side by sides with WAY more motor and bigger tracks could be entertaining, but yeah, no. I see them in parking lots a lot, but never seem to see them out on the hills. hrmmm.

I want to lighten a Toyota Previa 4wd van and track it. That'd be a rad personal snowcat.

glacier is now open for shredding!

Is there any good reason I shouldn't run Polaris Premium Blue ($32/gal) instead of Ski-doo XPS ($45/gal) in my 2001 Ski-doo Summit 800 Highmark X?

Yes' your engine will only last 1000 km if you do

Yes' your engine will only last 1000 km if you do
    Why's that? Is Polaris oil really that inferior to ski-doo?

Gonna toss a grenade into this thread and ask the collective's opinion about snow bikes......

Obviously the sled still rules for ski access, but the guys I ride with that are purely in the game for powersports pow seem to be making the change to the bikes. The two best riders in my group have switched, and everybody who's taken a spin on the bikes seems to be pretty stoked on the capability and learning curve. These guys were all on turbo M's last season. We've had guys with no little to no snowmo experience hop on the bikes and be off to the races boondocking and riding technical lines in mere hours.

So what does everybody think? Is my aging M7 becoming the snowmo version of my 26" bike, AKA resale suicide? Sleds are getting ridiculously good but I think the bikes may be closing the gap.

drive train of the snow bikes are making great improvments every year, and this seems the key area, mainly weight savings and less moving parts.
    most bikes are 450, but I'm waiting to see bigger HP or turbo's.

the fun factor seems off the hook and more and more people are converting, once riden, one is hooked I'm told.

a big thing I'm seeing is that snowbikes are great in the trees, thus safer than the highmark crowd and more suited to conservative guys and those without fragile ego's ...

bikes will never match sleds breaking trail, climbing, HP or mtn travel in general, but its all about having fun ...

1 machine for both seasons seems legit. under 4hour to complete conversion I'm told ...
    We, the RATBAGGERS, formally axcept our duty is to trigger avalaches on all skiers ...

Quote Originally Posted by RidgeTop Productions View Post
    Why's that? Is Polaris oil really that inferior to ski-doo?
    Joke, everyone is always referring to how often Polaris sleds grenade their motors....

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Is my aging M7 becoming the snowmo version of my 26" bike, AKA resale suicide?
    Definitely. You should probably just give that sled to me since it's definitely not worth anything anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Definitely. You should probably just give that sled to me since it's definitely not worth anything anymore.
    Ha, it's a sunk cost and as reliable as one could hope for in this sport so I won't be moving it anytime soon. Holler if you wanna get out anytime.

http://earlyups.com/earlyups-project-sled/

Figured you all might like this. More to come.

In funnier news guess who now has a turbo? Yeah...that's like handing a rocket launcher to someone who is still figuring out a .22

If you are gonna be dumb...

Fun sunny day on sunday. Found some soft stuff in the Southern monashees
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0288.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	164451   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20150222_16_25_43_Panorama.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	393.4 KB 
ID:	164452   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20150222_12_03_36_Pro.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	861.2 KB 
ID:	164453   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20150222_11_25_29_Pro.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	858.8 KB 
ID:	164454   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0304.JPG 
Views:	94 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	164450  

www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

Is there such a thing as a snowmobile raising kit? I have a 2001 Skidoo Summit 800 Highmark X (151') that seems to ride a little low. I was thinking of raising it up a little to reduce stucks in deeper snow (also thinking of maybe putting on a 163' track this summer).

Thoughts?