Page 5 of 167 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    I've bought a new Skidoo 800 almost every year since 02 (02, 04, 05, 07, 08, 09) and I put several thousand miles on each year. Yet to have a single engine problem. I guess I am just lucky to not have had engine issues. About half of my friends also ride skidoo 800s and none of them have had issues. I do have to admit that I did own an 05 skidoo 1000 and it was a piece of ####. It was just too damn heavy. No engine problems, it was just heavy and cumbersome. But as far as the 800s go I have been extremely pleased. The new XPs are pretty awesome sleds and I have yet to see a stock sled that can highmark me (that includes dragon 800s, M8s, and M1000s).

You defintely have to consider the snow you will be riding though. If you have very deep light fluffy pow and not as much riding experience I would reccomend the M7 or the dragon 700. They are easy to maneuver and easier than an 800 to dig out. If you are an experienced rider an 800 is definitely the best sled in my opinion.
    Last edited by backcountry-jibber; 11-11-2008 at 03:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by backcountry-jibber View Post
    The new XPs are pretty awesome sleds and I have yet to see a stock sled that can highmark me (that includes dragon 800s, M8s, and M1000s).
    If someone on an M1000 cant highmark you they should immediately be kicked in the head and thier sled taken away from them and given to some one more deserving. This should be done especially if the snow conditions in the pics you posted are typical.

They are easy to maneuver and easier than an 800 to dig out.
    This is the first time I have ever heard of any one equating engine displacement with ease of recovery. I cant even begin to understand how you came to this conclusion.

You should post these comments on Snowest, I'll bring the popcorn it would be quite the shit show.
    In the immortal words of Colonel Sanders " I'm too drunk to taste this chicken".

[QUOTE=Ak4life;2092595]If someone on an M1000 cant highmark you they should immediately be kicked in the head and thier sled taken away from them and given to some one more deserving. This should be done especially if the snow conditions in the pics you posted are typical.

This is the first time I have ever heard of any one equating engine displacement with ease of recovery. I cant even begin to understand how you came to this conclusion.
    QUOTE]

Agreed on the M1000. My thought on the displacment comment is maybe the smaller displacement will keep a noob from getting into a situation where they are not just stuck but also in danger of rolling/flipping all the way to the bottom. But this would only apply if it was while climbing. But in a meadow/trees, stuck is stuck.
    The Worst mistakes, make the best memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak4life View Post

I cant even begin to understand how you came to this conclusion.
    Really? Is it that hard to understand that engine displacement is directly proportional to sled weight? Weight might figure in to work when digging sleds out all day. Do you not think that a light sled like an AC snow pro would be much easier to dig out than a Yamaha APEX 1000?

Seriously though AK4 I'm not trying to get in a "what sled manufacturer is better" debate I was just posting a few observations from my experience. Snow conditions where I ride are very light fluffy pow and 800s seem to be the best all around sled. As I posted different conditions are more ideal for different sleds.
    Last edited by backcountry-jibber; 11-13-2008 at 12:10 PM.

Really? Is it that hard to understand that engine displacement is directly proportional to sled weight? Weight might figure in to work when digging sleds out all day. Do you not think that a light sled like an AC snow pro would be much easier to dig out than a Yamaha APEX 1000?
    Yes, a bigger motor wieghs more but they also make more power thus increasing the power to weight ratio, but what in the hell are you doing picking the front of a sled up to get it unstuck? Kick some snow out of the way, grab a ski and drag that fucker over. Pack some snow and throw the rear end out of the hole get on and give it hell. Its very telling that your buddy cant highmark you on his 1000 and you actually taking credit for it because your sled is so much more bad ass, that tells me that niether one of you should be riding in the mountains.

Seriously though AK4 I'm not trying to get in a "what sled manufacturer is better" debate I was just posting a few observations from my experience. Snow conditions where I ride are very light fluffy pow and 800s seem to be the best all around sled. As I posted different conditions are more ideal for different sleds.
    I really could care less about what brand of sled you ride, what pisses me off is any asshole with money can walk into a dealership and buy a m1000 162" and point it up a hill and pull the trigger. The chances of some one who has never skied or boarded is going to get a heli to the top of Thompsons pass for his first run ever is slim to none. Yet every year people buy sleds that they have no buisiness being on. The sit at the bottom of that very hill on a sled and somehow think that they can handle it. Its the dumbest shit I have ever seen. Too many times I have seen the outcome of this nonsense.
    In the immortal words of Colonel Sanders " I'm too drunk to taste this chicken".

Quote Originally Posted by Ak4life View Post
    Yes, a bigger motor wieghs more but they also make more power thus increasing the power to weight ratio
    not really... if you increase the power and the weight the ratio does not change. if you increase the power more than you increase the weight the power to weight ratio increases. Like the skidoo 1000 I had... the power increased but the weight increased too much so the power to wieght ratio decreased. In most conditions the 800s would outclimb the 1000. On days late in the year when the snow was set up or windblown the 1000 would outclimb the 800s.

Anyway not to hijack the thread with a endless argument, I'm sure there are people out there that love their 600s 700s 800s and 1000s.

I have yet to really put my 09 800 to the test. It will be fun to see how the sleds do when the snow starts flying here in UT. I hope you guys are getting pounded up there in AK. I have always wanted to snowmobile there, it looks amazing. I have been there in the summer but never in the winter. If I ever make it up there in the winter I will rent a m1000
    Last edited by backcountry-jibber; 11-21-2008 at 10:57 PM.

Some pics from 2 days ago, enjoying my "classic tub". (which fucking kills it btw)

Photos courtesy of ^^^.

Sequence of one mildly deep turn.....

I love this one.

WOOOAH, fuckin A! sick shots!

New track going on this week

195 Lab Swallowtail
    186 Moment Donner Party
    182 Moment Reno Freebird
    180 Moment Tahoe

I'm gonna live forever if the good die young

Life is a suicide mission

Anyone in SLC looking for a riding partner? I've got a couple people I've been riding with but I'm always looking to meet up with more.

This:

= this:

bump i wanna see some sled stoke im jonesin to get out and ride but the snow is major shit right now...

just got back from 5 days sleddin in island park,id and west yellowstone... so freakin fun..

utarrr needs more snow
    yes its true you are a good woman, then again you may be the antichrist
    08/09-- i quit counting

VC is offline Calmer then you are Dude
    The only sled stoke I have right now is making two fuct sleds into one sled from the tunnel up.

The Workhorse.

Carried a keg, 8 people, and half of their gear 5 miles in two trips...

+ 3 people on sled = an easy 5 mile tow for 7...
    "Why do I always get more kisses on powder days?" -my wife

'06 RMK 900. Currently out of commission needing a new right suspension not to mention being stuck in cold hard dry Wisconsin.

Quote Originally Posted by MFJ&S View Post
    '06 RMK 900. Currently out of commission needing a new right suspension not to mention being stuck in cold hard dry Wisconsin.

that is a sick fuckin sled
    08/09-- i quit counting

Incredible!

Quote Originally Posted by Mountainman View Post
    I don't mean to advertise my sledding JONGNESS, but what the hell...

This sled is amazing! For pure looks, it's one of the sweetest I've seen. What is it?

edit: The black and grey one...

Quote Originally Posted by Cascadian View Post
    I don't mean to advertise my sledding JONGNESS, but what the hell...

This sled is amazing! For pure looks, it's one of the sweetest I've seen. What is it?

edit: The black and grey one...
    XP Rev, super light, but beware of the pinecone...

Just bought my first sled, 2001 rmk 800 151 track, Just taken it for a test run so far ... Anyone around the Fraser Valley or Baker area looking for sled partners? Im a total sled jong but have ridden a little when i was younger. Brap brap!

Last edited by fivefourtwo; 01-25-2009 at 04:19 PM.

Sled looks like it's in great shape.
    A riser block will go a long ways towards making that a more manageable not to mention comfortable ride while standing.

MFJ&S, that is a sick looking Poo!

my-new ride-07 rev summit x with a new 08 engine-just waiting for some pow now!

Nice cat B11. She will get you where you need to go!

Here is my ride for the year. Just got to say that I love the MG (m1000). When they are set up right they just kick ass. I am a big guy and we ride at 11kish most of the time this along with 2uping things most sleds cant climb keep me on the MG!

In action.

any utards wanna meet up and do some ridding this week send me a pm
    08/09-- i quit counting

jahve, what's that m1000 weigh in at?

I also own some other sleds to compare but I have never had her on a scale so I am not sure.

I have a m7 and a 07 - m8 as well all have the 153" track anything larger it too much track imo... The MG I think cat says is 20 or so more pounds than the m8. For me I only notice it when on trail. This Mg went on a diet and lost about that so it should be or is about the weight of a stock m8. It eats dragon 800's and xp's. Only sleds that I have seen that will hang with it are turbo's or mod engine sleds.

The MG is the best sled skiing snowmachine that I have ever ridden..... Next year cat is going to have the m8 rtr (ready to ride) turbo. Only sled that I would look at changing to.

I change out my machines about every year or so and this 1000 is for sale and when I sell it I will get another cat MG or turbo a m8. This one is a sno pro, with extra's, 4" risers, can, intake, and y - pipe. 1800 miles. $6500...

Check out this vid .

Tandem stoke.

They rip.