Page 11 of 167 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    Well of course I got a ramp, just a pain in the ass for unloading without reverse, and more curious about it than anything.
    Oops. I always forget that not all sleds have reverse.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbuilds View Post
    I just mount old binders to the running boards of the sled, my din is set at 8 so I just pull out one leg as I'm riding if needed.
    That put a smile on my face. I bet that works great when your laying down pow carves, you can pull up on the opposite side to really lay er over.
    Hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    I'm interested to know more as well. Carried an M7 153" on the back of a Dodge Dakota all last season, sat in there for pretty much 4 months straight. No extra reinforcement anywhere, but don't seem to have caused any damage/sagging anywhere.

Also, kook question, is it totally ok to just drop the sled off the back when unloading? I suspect the sled faces much more force on the trail than dropping it so all good?
    Ive been shooting it out the back with reverse for a while now, as do most of the people I ride with. I doubt 4ft to ground off the truck is any worse than some of the airs to flat that they endure. That's what the shocks are for right?

Quote Originally Posted by lph View Post
    Nice Provo! Thanks.

do you find the 10" model fits over the top of your ski boots or doesn't it matter cause your ski boots are under your pants?

I am getting me some of those, seems like a perfect solution.
    10" model fits perfect. Basically, you slide your boot and leg gaiter (from your pants) into the overshoes, secure the buckle and velcro, then pull the pant cuffs down. Creates a really good barrier against snow. Because these things were not really designed for ski boots, sometimes its a bit hard to secure the velcro. All you need to do though is snap that buckle and those things are on there.

Quote Originally Posted by PROVO View Post
    10" model fits perfect. Basically, you slide your boot and leg gaiter (from your pants) into the overshoes, secure the buckle and velcro, then pull the pant cuffs down. Creates a really good barrier against snow. Because these things were not really designed for ski boots, sometimes its a bit hard to secure the velcro. All you need to do though is snap that buckle and those things are on there.
    thanks man. that sounds perfect. just ordered a pair.
    "A man on foot, on horseback or on a bicycle will see more, feel more, enjoy more in one mile than the motorized tourists can in a hundred miles."
    — Edward Abbey (Desert Solitaire)

Quote Originally Posted by GoNads View Post
    Ive been shooting it out the back with reverse for a while now, as do most of the people I ride with. I doubt 4ft to ground off the truck is any worse than some of the airs to flat that they endure. That's what the shocks are for right?
    I've done this for years, the only thing is that it's better to shoot it straight back so it lands flat than go slow where the skis tilt up. If the front end drops and the skis are tilted all the way up and it lands on the ends you can potentially tweak the skis or one side of the front end if it doesn't land straight. I haven't seen it happen recently with new sleds but with the steel skis/heavy chassis it has happened.

forest Guest
    anyone know if its okay to put a spare can and drybag right on the top of the tunnel of a Rev?

Of course, otherwise the rev wouldn't come out with their own BRP gas can and tunnel bags on the X package.

forest Guest
    thanks for the response. Ive been checking out the skidoo cans and bags and they have little riser blocks to keep them off the tunnel directly. Just wondering if that is necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by forest View Post
    thanks for the response. Ive been checking out the skidoo cans and bags and they have little riser blocks to keep them off the tunnel directly. Just wondering if that is necessary.
    Yeah what's the worse thing that can happen having a big heater underneath a gas can?

I'm kidding.
    You'll be fine. People do it all the time.

PROVO:woot! thanks for posting that! Sledding in ski boots fucking sucks. Those look they could seriously relieve some (traction) headaches.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

forest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Yeah what's the worse thing that can happen having a big heater underneath a gas can?
    bingo... thanks.

Most I've seen have the special cans etc, I just want to use what I've got for now and was unsure.

Quote Originally Posted by forest View Post
    bingo... thanks.

Most I've seen have the special cans etc, I just want to use what I've got for now and was unsure.
    Did you just pick up a rev?

tunnel could keep your ski boots warm to make entry at the top a little less painful, but for most runs it would take too much time to change out each lap to make it worthwhile imo...so alpine boots it is for me.

I was riding a summit last winter and in one day did a good job denting in housing cover on the front left side by the running board, think it was for the brake system. be careful of that b/c flimsy aluminium is no match for ski boots when you are getting rowdy on the sled.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyJim View Post
    Sorry to keep asking all these questions where I clearly have no idea what I'm talking about but you have all been a huge help so far...and yes, I have another one...

Thoughts about putting a sled in the bed of a short bed pickup (6 ft bed)...??

I have a Nissan Frontier with stiffened up rear suspension. (added a leaf, changed to better shocks...could also add airbags).

For gas mileage, ease of driving etc I'd rather have my sled in the bed while on roadtrips (I've got a really ghetto 14ft tilt trailer I can use otherwise)

Is this a terrible idea? I'd obviously leave my tailgate down (still leaves 2.5ft+ sticking off the end). I planned on building a sub-floor for my sled to sit on. Not sure if I should build it to wheel well height or not...and also not sure if I should extend the subfloor all the way to the end of the tailgate.

The subfloor would at minimum give me a place to put my ramp and maybe even give me a place to put my skis/poles/random gear.

Before I go much further on figuring out the best design for this what are all your thoughts on putting the sled in a bed...any pointers?

Would you rather carry a big rock on your back, or pull it behind you in a wheelbarrow? Get a trailer and save your truck, unless its a beater. Trailers are almost as fun as sleds!

Quote Originally Posted by shralpingthegnar View Post
    Would you rather carry a big rock on your back, or pull it behind you in a wheelbarrow? Get a trailer and save your truck, unless its a beater. Trailers are almost as fun as sleds!
    Have to disagree pretty strongly with this one.

Short answer - if I owned a truck, I'd have a sled deck. Backcountryislife on TGR/sledmods.com sells some _really_ nice ones.

Pictures - not of the ones BCIL sells, but general idea:

http://sledmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=3.0

Longer answer - I use a fullsize Ford 1-ton van & 2-place tilt trailer to move sleds around. The van is also the racecar/bike/ski hauler - it is an awesome support vehicle for everything BUT snowmobiling (and it is not BAD for sledding, except early/late season).

When there's snow all the way to pavement, the van is fine.

Recently, the snow has been thin to the parking lots, and driving a 2wd van up FS roads with a trailer to places with little room to turn around is tricky, at best.

Building a sub-floor, whether it is wheel-well height or on top of the bed (or buying an actual deck) is a good idea, IMHO. Room to store stuff, you can still drive the truck to remote parking lots, added weight helps with traction, shrug, you're on the right track.

The trailer is annoying enough that I've been kinda looking for a 4wd diesel crew-cab pickup, but, ehhhh, it'll cost me money, and I can live with the van/trailer for the time being, but if I were to do it all over again, that's what I'd have done. Sleds don't weigh THAT much, trailers are a pain in the ass to store unless you have lots of land/live in Commerce City, extra registration, two more bearings/tires to fail, trailer lights seem to perpetually suck, ehhhhhhhhh.....

A trailer is not BAD. If it is what you have, great, but if you're starting out, a deck really is pretty cool. I had the van long before I started sledding.

.02c!

Iain

http://bulldogdecks.com/ make a good sled deck too, with tons of room to spare. Towing is a giant hassle, especially when you're on road trips. They don't even allow trailers up some mountain passes... and most of the places I sled you'd have a very hard time getting a trailer there.

Quote Originally Posted by GoNads View Post
    http://bulldogdecks.com/ make a good sled deck too, with tons of room to spare. Towing is a giant hassle, especially when you're on road trips. They don't even allow trailers up some mountain passes... and most of the places I sled you'd have a very hard time getting a trailer there.

Those look well made, but holy crap, they're $1400 more than I charge for a deck AFTER I drive 35 hrs to go pick them up!!!

btw, the rock on your back vs wheelbarrow comparison is fucking RETARDED.

IT'S a TRUCK. They're meant to put stuff in. It will handle better with weight in the back (depends on truck of course), it gets better traction, it minimizes the possibility of an accident as you now have weight on the wheels & have no trailer to smash into you if you go sideways.

Sorry for the bitterness, but I tow out morons with trailers all the time because I have an extra 1000 lbs on the rear wheels so I can. I also ride a much longer season than folks with trailers can because I can drive to the snow.

and Iain, that's exactly the one I have for sale right now, the full lotus deck. I usually sell the motomikey's decks but took that one in on trade from JP's buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by backcountryislife View Post
    Those look well made, but holy crap, they're $1400 more than I charge for a deck AFTER I drive 35 hrs to go pick them up!!!

Well, up until recently, factor in the exchange rate CND vs. USD. I know they sell to dealers for a lower rate too, obviously. Thats the msrp rate. The dealer/bulk rate is substantially lower, so the dealer can pull a profit margin as well, as is the case with most products I'm sure.

Picked up my new toy the night before TG. Been learning how to ride for the past few days. Waste deep unsettled pow as far as a sled jong can see = getting stuck 37 times and spending more time digging, dragging, pushing, pulling and starting the sled than actually riding. I equate my first days attempting to sled deep snow with what I think wrestling a 450lbs. gorilla would be like. I'm worked!
    My new toy

This is what ridding waist deep is supposed to look like. (not me)

This is me digging myself out of one of the many alder patches that seem to have some kind of tractor beam.

VC is offline Calmer then you are Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by PROVO View Post
    I can't believe nobody else uses these. I have a boot sole length of 318mm, and the villager XXL is a perfect fit. If you have really big ski boots, you might be out of luck. These overshoes are perfect for so many reasons. The rubber soles provide unreal traction, so your not slipping and sliding on your running boards. They also protect your ski boots from the devastation caused by running boards. They keep your boots warmer and drier. Extremely easy to put on and off. THe overshoes weigh one pound, and fold flat allowing you to store them anywhere. For the last 4 years, these overshoes have been one of the most important pieces of snowmobiling equipment I have. If you are frustrated with sled skiing because of your hard shell ski boots, you need to buy these. You can thank me later.

http://www.overshoe.com/recreational...tail.php?s=VIS

oh yah, $40 bucks

Fucking brilliant, how come I never thought of that.

I would rather carry a sled in the back of my truck over towing any day. And if you can't pull a sled out the back of your truck without reverse then you're a pussy. Seriously. I used to pull a 700 lb. Polaris Widetrak out the back of my truck with no problem at all. Push from the front and then yank it out from the back when it gets close to going off.

Trailers are a pain in the ass. Lower gas mileage, more strain on your engine, not very good on snowpacked roads, a bitch to turn around or manuever through tight spots, etc. Can't think of more than one con of hauling a sled in the back of your truck besides the wear and tear on the bed liner and tailgate.

We have two sleds on most days out now, so I'm trailering a lot, but whenever I'm riding solo I always pull one sled off the trailer and put it in the bed.

Ha, all the trailer hate, blah. I just got a smokin deal on a '06 20ft enclosed insulated 3place V nose on off sled trailer that I'm gonna put some fold down beds and a table in with a counter and heater to convert to a toyhauler. Then for dawn patrol I can get up a few hours later then you and already be at the trailhead ready to rally (cooking bacon). Also roadtrips on veg oil to BC and the yukon may be in order if things go high pressure for too long here. I kept my superlightweight aluminum 2place for the easy shit though, and when you get good with that thing you can go almost anywhere a sledbed truck can go. I would like to have a sledbed but the veg tank and filter stick up too high in the bed of my truck so I just keep the topper on. I was thinking about getting a superlightweight 1 place to tow behind my impreza wagon rallymobile but I fear I'll fry the tranny too quickly.

mmmmmmm fried tranny's

Keith Wigdor Guest
    h o fuk akturnandburn have you had MOOSE BACON?
    fukkkkkkk my friend hooked me up with some OMFG!!!!!!!!!

also saw a product called baconaise the other day in the mayo section!

l00n nice work on the 800! if it makes you feel any better i was stuck bad twice today, but FKNA , dood , it is deep ,no?

Keith Wigdor Guest
    oh l00n u forgot the part about the brownies....and being fucked up like a wooden watch !
    turkey day was fun

In Anchortown looking to get my career on track
    neos are GREAT, we used them up in the oil fields in >-40 Fahrenheit and they kept my uninsulated steel toed clad feet happy. The caveat with Neos is they run VERY small. i wore a 4X for a 15 boot. guys with size 9's were in a 2X
    Our world is full of surrender at the first sign of adversity, do not give up when the challenge meets you, meet the challenge. Through perseverance comes the rewards, the rewards that make life so enjoyable.

Seize the day, trusting little in the future.

if you want something, go after it. if you want to screw someone over, look DEEP in your heart and realize Karma is a bitch

http://arcticcycles.com