Page 117 of 167 FirstFirst ... 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 ... LastLast
Results 2,901 to 2,925 of 4154
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    06 skidoo Rev: strong motors, keep an eye on the carburetor boots, they crack easily and then bye bye motor, handle like 2006 but decent enough ski sled, 07 got a weird motor that they didn't have figured out until...........
    NOT an 08 Rev XP, they still had a few things to figure out on that chassis
    07-2010 Polaris 700, stay away from anything 800 in those years
    Arctic cat M7 or M8 from 2007-2011. Bombproof, Change the diamond drive oil regularly, you can add reverse to the non-reverse models with a lever, it's easy. Best of the bunch in that price range IMO.

3k will get you any of those if you look hard enough

Do NOT buy ANY polaris 2006-2007, any motor size. Just don't do it.
    I’ve had my ‘08 rev xp for a couple seasons now. Other than crashing into things and breaking things while ‘fixing’ them I’ve had good luck so far. Bought it with 2400km on it and still going strong. Sure, it might blow up some day but the price was right and it got my into sledding. If you’re using as you suggested, which sounds similar to my uses, it doesn’t go through nearly the pounding I’ve seen others put on their sleds.

That being said, others here know far more than me about these things. And it’s worth noting the wife’s ‘09 held up much better than mine when I ran into her sled, so maybe there’s something to the claims.
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Quote Originally Posted by shafty85 View Post
    I’ve had my ‘08 rev xp for a couple seasons now. Other than crashing into things and breaking things while ‘fixing’ them I’ve had good luck so far. Bought it with 2400km on it and still going strong. Sure, it might blow up some day but the price was right and it got my into sledding. If you’re using as you suggested, which sounds similar to my uses, it doesn’t go through nearly the pounding I’ve seen others put on their sleds.

That being said, others here know far more than me about these things. And it’s worth noting the wife’s ‘09 held up much better than mine when I ran into her sled, so maybe there’s something to the claims.
    The bearing around the jackshaft behind the secondary is just a matter of time kind of thing. Hopefully whoever you bought that from replaced that section. Besides weird self-destruct tuned motors, that's the one big one. They seize and will literally cook the jackshaft to the point that the secondary just shears off. The bearing isn't stout enough so it gets weird loads, wears out quickly and just seizes up, causing the jackshaft to just spin in locked up bearing. Plus those were literally the lightest sleds made at that point, they're kind of bendy. They got heavier every year after for a reason. Mostly fixable stuff, you just have to know what to check.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

So many design points to balance. I definitely enjoy the discussion though, it helps me overthink this properly.

Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Gravity always wins...

The bearing around the jackshaft behind the secondary is just a matter of time kind of thing. Hopefully whoever you bought that from replaced that section. Besides weird self-destruct tuned motors, that's the one big one. They seize and will literally cook the jackshaft to the point that the secondary just shears off. The bearing isn't stout enough so it gets weird loads, wears out quickly and just seizes up, causing the jackshaft to just spin in locked up bearing. Plus those were literally the lightest sleds made at that point, they're kind of bendy. They got heavier every year after for a reason. Mostly fixable stuff, you just have to know what to check.
    Living on the edge!
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

I've had a bunch of Doos including an '08 and I've never heard of this issue. I do a lot of my own wrenching and follow the Doo owner websites pretty closely. This just isn't a major issue on XPs. Older Doos are generally pretty dependable. I would be comfortable buying a Rev for sled access skiing purposes. Same goes with older M series Cats. Not much confidence in an older Polaris, especially any Dragon. Availability of a decent dealer nearby should be a major consideration. Cat has killed most of their dealer network in WA. Doo dealers are plentiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Wapow View Post
    I've had a bunch of Doos including an '08 and I've never heard of this issue. I do a lot of my own wrenching and follow the Doo owner websites pretty closely. This just isn't a major issue on XPs. Older Doos are generally pretty dependable. I would be comfortable buying a Rev for sled access skiing purposes. Same goes with older M series Cats. Not much confidence in an older Polaris, especially any Dragon. Availability of a decent dealer nearby should be a major consideration. Cat has killed most of their dealer network in WA. Doo dealers are plentiful.
    I've personally towed out two that did exactly what I describe.

As far as it not being a known issue.....you're not looking hard enough. It's a thing. This took me about 5 seconds to find.
    https://www.dootalk.com/forums/topic...brace-failure/

I never owned that vintage but I think there was a TSP or recall on those, at the very least an update. Regardless they changed the design for a reason the next year.

I'm not trying to fool anyone. I promise.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

I've personally towed out two that did exactly what I describe.

As far as it not being a known issue.....you're not looking hard enough. It's a thing. This took me about 5 seconds to find.
    https://www.dootalk.com/forums/topic...brace-failure/

I never owned that vintage but I think there was a TSP or recall on those, at the very least an update. Regardless they changed the design for a reason the next year.

I'm not trying to fool anyone. I promise.
    Ha! That actually happened to me on my '09. It isn't the jackshaft bearing, it's the attachment point for the brace that supports the jackshaft bearing. The pressed in stud attached to the tunnel (to which the bottom of the brace is attached) pulls out and the secondary clutch is then pulled toward the primary clutch when under load. Causes all kinds of major issues, like you described. Definitely not a super common issue. When it happened to me, my dealer had never seen it before. I had to do the fix myself (pulled the track and put in a through bolt ). I pounded that sled pretty hard in the mountains. If you're just riding up snowed in approach roads to access tours, you will probably have none of these issues.

Can't go wrong with 07-11 800 cats, best years are 10-11 more hp. Have seen a couple with 10,000miles. Diamond drive is the only issue, just need bearing update.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Denver snowmobile expo this weekend. Should I go to the swap meet and get another sled on the cheap? People and shops sell nice used sleds for insanely low prices...

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Denver snowmobile expo this weekend. Should I go to the swap meet and get another sled on the cheap? People and shops sell nice used sleds for insanely low prices...
    Good place to check out multiple sleds quickly and get to look at a bunch of cool sled related stuff. Win win to me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I have a 2006 M7 with bomber homemade ski racks ($2800) and a 2010 Dragon 800 with Cheetah racks ($3700) Near Tahoe (Sacramento) up for sale. The D8 has a new engine and I just did the top end on the M7. Two older but very capable sleds. The M7 is one my all time favs to this day.

$6500 for the pair includes a trailer. If interested I will send pics.
    Hello darkness my old friend

That M7 carbed or EFI?

You ever work on the primary clutch at all? Weights notched or anything?

Text me some pics. I might know a guy.

EFI. never touched the clutch. Ill take pics tonight

Sorry for the shitty pics, I’m moving and it gets dark at noon now

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1414.JPG 
Views:	113 
Size:	212.2 KB 
ID:	301008Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1416.JPG 
Views:	124 
Size:	236.5 KB 
ID:	301009Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1417.JPG 
Views:	115 
Size:	261.4 KB 
ID:	301010Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1419.JPG 
Views:	119 
Size:	186.1 KB 
ID:	301011Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1421.JPG 
Views:	116 
Size:	188.4 KB 
ID:	301012

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Nice rides there.

Dang, I miss having a sled.
    watch out for snakes

That m7 looks like it's in pretty good shape.

You sure it's yours?

Maggot snowmobile thread

Anyone give building their own sled deck a shot here? I see a bunch if plans on sled forums around the internet, but they all seem a bit suspect. The welding isn’t an issue for steel, is a slight concern for aluminum. Design isn’t too concerning either since I’ll be doing it with 2 marine engineers, so we will over build it. Just wondering if anyone’s given it a go and if it’s worth trying, or forking over the $2-5k to one of the manufacturers is the right way to do it.

Also, Mo-Pros or CheetahFactoryRacing ski rack? What do you guys like and why?

If you're genuinely setup for welding and fabrication, know what you're doing and not "my buddy just bought a mig off amazon, and we can clear some space out in the kitchen", then go for it. There are plenty of legit plans floating around, especially for straightforward steel designs that you can build off of. Plus you can build it the way you want.

Truth is however, that it's gotten to be a fairly competitive market so existing designs are pretty awesome. Marlon, Truckboss, silverlake etc all make pretty nice setups. If you can find a used one, that would be my recommendation because they are expensive, and likely a little more polished than what you're going to build. Truckboss is probably the most gucci because it's sealed, but a royal pain to take in and out for the summer.

Read a few pages back about ski racks.

Get a cheetah. Those guys are awesome. They invented the consumer sled ski rack, so you're buying a pretty refined setup. And they're not raging douchebags who threaten to sue other people for no reason like the weirdo that makes mopros.

If anyone in BC wants a cheap starter sled or backup sled I'm selling mine.
    2009 Skidoo 800 XP 146" Track
    9000+ km's original motor. Serviced before every season at Revolution in Whistler where 400-1000+ bucks was spent servicing worn parts, general check up, etc. Original owner. Purchased new from No Limits in Squamish. Used to film ski films as an access sled (Dendrite's films, TGR for 3 seasons, MSP camping trip this year, and many other short films). Did not air it or sled hard as I was carrying expensive film gear all the time.
    Includes skid plate, CFR rack, upgraded burly rear bumper and tow hitch. Otherwise stock. Also will throw in heavy duty sled ramp with it which is a value of over $500.
    Running boards need some repair from ski boots from last trip of last season. Otherwise running perfectly.
    Great starter sled, access sled, or backup sled. Currently located in squamish.

Sad to let her go, but it's time. She treated me very well obviously. She's been all over BC and up to Alaska. Whistler, Pemberton, up towards Bella Coola, Stewart and Hyder, Revy, Golden, Kaslo, Chatter, Selkirks, and more. She was clearly made on a good day on the line at the factory.
    2k OBO.

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    Anyone give building their own sled deck a shot here? I see a bunch if plans on sled forums around the internet, but they all seem a bit suspect. The welding isn’t an issue for steel, is a slight concern for aluminum. Design isn’t too concerning either since I’ll be doing it with 2 marine engineers, so we will over build it. Just wondering if anyone’s given it a go and if it’s worth trying, or forking over the $2-5k to one of the manufacturers is the right way to do it.

You can probably buy a sled deck that needs a bit of work for cheaper than buying the materials to build one. Overbuilding is fine if you are sticking this on a truck with excess capacity, not so much when you put your over built deck, two sleds, all your gear and spare gas on your truck and bottom the suspension out.

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post

I have both racks and they are comparable.
    I don’t like the MoPro bags.

The SkiDoo Link system accessories are really nice and well designed, but super expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by eldereldo View Post
    You can probably buy a sled deck that needs a bit of work for cheaper than buying the materials to build one. Overbuilding is fine if you are sticking this on a truck with excess capacity, not so much when you put your over built deck, two sleds, all your gear and spare gas on your truck and bottom the suspension out.
    Kk, sounds like buying a used sled deck is the way to go. Wonder how hard that will be in January when I get home. I’ll figure it out then. I’m getting a 250 when I get home, so payload shouldn’t be an issue. I work on cargo ships and am always stressing about weight on board for stability, I don’t want to stress about it when playing at home, so big truck it is. And no TGR community, I’m not buying a 450/550 or what ever, 250/350 will be fine.

Good note on the Mo-Pros bags. I’ll go CFR and was planning on getting the LinQ system anyways, and I think CFR and LinQ play nicely, or I’m pretty sure according to the CFR website.

God I’m excited for this

Name:  76564321-12C5-4172-8290-F97875A89E09.jpeg
Views: 623
Size:  116.7 KB

Something new(ish) for this year.

Can't wait to tandem on that thing eldo! We've got a shit winter on tap so I'll be seeing ya.

Still have the sled (at least for now) for that. I did fit a rack for hauling ski/board , but strictly for access. Although you can set a hell of a skin track with the snow bike.