Page 100 of 167 FirstFirst ... 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 ... LastLast
Results 2,476 to 2,500 of 4154
    After a long day of making laps we had some fun

Quote Originally Posted by cycology1 View Post
    Thanks - Will try that harness idea. Makes more sense. Your day looks way more fun! Where is that?
    Golden, BC

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Pretty innovative design.

https://youtu.be/BjWwhJZyP8w

It sure is, but doesn’t sound like something that is going to be what you want if you do a lot of doubling or riding long hard trails to where you need to go. But I guess they are adding this an option along with the normal twin rail setup on the Mountain Cat, so if it fits your needs, looks like it could be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by cycology1 View Post
    I don't know - I'm a complete newb when it comes to both sledding and sled/skiing, but with only 3 days of experience on my new-to-me 2010 Yami supercharged Nytro, my first sled/ski trip wasnt that bad.

I made two ~7 mile one-way trips, each with a knuckle dragger in tow and a passenger with skis 'Alaska' style + gear / beer / bags on hard packed / wind buffed / sastrugi / powder drifts and they were all fine. One of the boarders event pretended he was Mikaela on a slalom course most of the way in. Both passengers were comfortable...all loved not having to skin 7 miles!

While the Nytro isnt a mountain sled per se, i dont think the extra ~100lbs or a supercharger made a difference or made it more comfortable or easier.

The only issue was the gear bags bungied to the rear gear rack seemed to raise the center of gravity, so on off camber trail sections, i thought we would tip. I likely need to do some fine tuning of the suspension pressures or just shut up and learn to ride.

Lessons learned -
    get a real ski rack (both skiers kept skis between my and their lap)
    get hand/wind deflectors! It was somewhere around -15 degrees at the trailhead.
    We used a water ski rope/handle, but next time will add a beefy mountain bike tube to soak up some of the jerking.

If this is as bad as it gets, i really overthought the difficulty of sled assisted 'hut trips'.
    We use a bicycle tube folded in half, wrap around your ass and clip together with a biner. Then loop tow rope through biner and through loop in the rope.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Towing sucks, but not because it's physically difficult being towed. Don't attach yourself to the rope, If you have to use a bike tube, use a munter or something that will release if you wipe out. We used to just clove hitch a section of climbing rope (50'-ish seems to work good) to the middle of our poles, and then just use the poles as a handle. That was before we banned towing. One person per sled is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Sluff View Post
    Pretty innovative design.

https://youtu.be/BjWwhJZyP8w
    It will be interesting to hear more real world feedback. The weight aspect is amazing.

It looks like it has significantly more movement than t-motion... and there is a large portion of the skidoo mountain community that is blocking out their t-motion, because the sleds can get too squirrelly.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Quote Originally Posted by eldereldo View Post
    It sure is, but doesn’t sound like something that is going to be what you want if you do a lot of doubling or riding long hard trails to where you need to go. But I guess they are adding this an option along with the normal twin rail setup on the Mountain Cat, so if it fits your needs, looks like it could be awesome.
    It could make tandeming easier... being easier to initiate turns and all. Its the initial turn input I find difficult when tandeming, as u have all that extra wt on the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by Wapow View Post
    One person per sled is the way to go.
    100%. Agree.

When faced with the occasional sled less add on, tandem is less tiresome and more efficient.

Anybody ever put tracks on a UTV, like a Polaris RZR? Are they even legal anywhere? All the cool kids in a snowmobile thread probably hate them but I'm curious if they actually work.

We skinned up to a backcountry cabin last winter and some guy was doing laps all over the road and through deep untracked with one of those things. Don't know the brand, but it looked fast and capable and hauled a lot of shit than I could fit in my backpack. My brother-in-law here in town got a 4-wheeler last summer, so it would be a double duty summer trail machine and wood hauler.

Mattracks don't work in powder. You need a very supportive base. I used a 1000cc RZR ice fishing a few times, and know a few guys who take them up to sled cabins, via groomed trail.... lots of $$$, not a lot performance.

The alpha system looks good. This is my 2nd season on a 850 and it’s all smiles. Don’t find any issues with the tmotion when tandeming with a partner who knows how to sled. Its definitely painful taking a newbie, but that’s just the case in general. At least it’s another back and shovel... I’m sure there will be some aftermarket knock-offs to come out simulating the alpha for the other brands.

tandem + barney alpha = bad time

Running laps and retrievals with a t-motion sled and one without back to back, there's definitely a difference pulling hard up steep hills with some ski lift. Totally doable obviously but generally not a fan.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    tandem + barney alpha = bad time

Running laps and retrievals with a t-motion sled and one without back to back, there's definitely a difference pulling hard up steep hills with some ski lift. Totally doable obviously but generally not a fan.
    If your skis are lifting, it has to do with the position of your limiter straps .. not the t-motion.

...but you know that

Getting a check engine light and warning when the sled is cold. Goes away after about 10 seconds. 2013 Skidoo Summit 800.

Seems to run fine rest of the day and no warnings after starting once it is warm. Reason to worry? 8200km on the sled with about 3000km on a new crate engine.
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

Read the code. Same standard op as a car.

If you can't read it take it to a dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    If your skis are lifting, it has to do with the position of your limiter straps .. not the t-motion.

...but you know that
    I do know that.

I'm talking about more 'fun' tandem routes

It's more just when the rear end is heavily weighted, both people standing on their back leg kind of thing. The wobble will wobble. That alpha thing I think would be a no go. IE: really fucking entertaining to watch someone try.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Only thing is, I think the Alpha will have more resistance because it isn’t a loose linkage, it works by flexing the track. Guessing it will be more progresssive. But it’s all noise until we can ride one.

Quote Originally Posted by teamdirt View Post
    The alpha system looks good. This is my 2nd season on a 850 and it’s all smiles. Don’t find any issues with the tmotion when tandeming with a partner who knows how to sled. Its definitely painful taking a newbie, but that’s just the case in general. At least it’s another back and shovel... I’m sure there will be some aftermarket knock-offs to come out simulating the alpha for the other brands.
    I wonder if they can do something that works the same and not infringe the patents? I guess you could try doing a real narrow skid, still based on two rails. Biggest problem I can see, is the special track, who is going to make an aftermarket version of it for such a limited market. Might have to be like the snow bike skids were to start with, skid and track as a package.

Or just buy the kit from Cat and adapted it to your sled.

I do know that.

I'm talking about more 'fun' tandem routes

It's more just when the rear end is heavily weighted, both people standing on their back leg kind of thing. The wobble will wobble. That alpha thing I think would be a no go. IE: really fucking entertaining to watch someone try.
    Ha.. I got ya now. 100%

Quote Originally Posted by eldereldo View Post
    I wonder if they can do something that works the same and not infringe the patents? I guess you could try doing a real narrow skid, still based on two rails. Biggest problem I can see, is the special track, who is going to make an aftermarket version of it for such a limited market. Might have to be like the snow bike skids were to start with, skid and track as a package.

Or just buy the kit from Cat and adapted it to your sled.
    I predicts, this is not going to be something anyone has to worry about, because the product is going to suck.

you need to dig into the slope for a secure sidehill ... thats been polaris' take on t-motion all along, and the rationale behind t-motion delete... its also why the polaris skid mods that gave more movement than T-motion also sucked.

Try skinning up a slope without edging in, and keeping your base parallel to the slope.. not going to to be a fun time. I chatted with a few folks this week about alpha, and everyone (except one artic cat fanboi) thought it was doomed..

850 Polaris is here.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    850 Polaris is here.
    I read the following three words placed together

Polaris
    Lightweight
    Crankshaft

I stopped reading at that point.

Will that didn't suck. Once again best goods found closer to the cabin. So much terrain.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I read the following three words placed together

Polaris
    Lightweight
    Crankshafts

I stopped reading at that point.
    I love that the Polaris boys were disappointed. They all wanted a factory turbo.