Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

how many of you are EC transplants out west?

Share your stories terds. I'm at work, bored, and will most likely be unemployed in feb and cannot fucking wait. Would love to hear some transplant stories as i may be one in a short amount of time.

OK.

I just moved to Aspen from Philadelphia 4 days ago! I was able to change my job status to full-time telecommuting, and I figured that since I can work from anywhere now, why not work from someplace awesome? I packed up my car with all my worldly possessions and drove out to the mountains. I have not regretted my decision for one millisecond and I don't think I ever will.

bklyn is offline who guards the guardians?
    Search for threads started by "Raps"... contains all you need to know.
    I'm just a simple girl trying to make my way in the universe...
    I come up hard, baby but now I'm cool I didn't make it, sugar playin' by the rules
    If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from, then you wouldn't have to ask me, who the heck do I think I am.

Originally from Rochester, NY. I joined the Navy after failing out of college and got stationed in Everett, WA where I spent 4 years. I frequented Stevens Pass and Mt. Baker during my time in the PNW. I got out of the Navy a year ago and started school here in Boulder at CU.

OG New England (Mass and NH), then moved to the hell hole of WI...now, i have been in CO for 8 years off and on (mostly on).

I now feel local and can tell you to stay away, you East Coast Trash

I miss Boston, but seriously...the weather, the days of sunshine, the mountains, the people, etc are just worth it for sure.

Do it, do it now

I grew up in Maine, went to UVM and then worked in finance in Boston after college. My buddy won a trip out west at a pub crawl and brought me along to Jackson Hole. I fell in love with the area and began to think about making the move.

About a year and half later - my best friend got married. At the disco party after her rehearsal dinner - I ran into a girl I went to middle school with. While wasted on the dance floor, I asked her where she lived. It was Jackson. I mentioned how much I loved it out there and how I was thinking of moving. She said they were looking for a roommate. I said I would take the room. I put my notice in the following Monday and moved out West a month later.

I have now been in Jackson five years. I love it. I have a great job with a creative firm out here, get to ski and bike a ton, and love my friends and community. I have been thinking about moving lately but I am definitely staying out west much to my parent's despair.
    Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.

Jersey Trash Pow tron! dont get it twisted! I've been toying with the idea to leave nyc for the last year to move out to UT or CO but havent had the balls to pull the trigger and kept getting sucked back into my job because of the loot....well the st is on fire and people are getting canned left and right....hopefull im one of them so they pay my ass for the next year and i can ski from Feb till may in Ut and then head to south america for the summer season. Fuck the rat race. I'm done.

"drinking out of cups"

did the whole college thing back home in VT...then VT to LCC, being here 3 years and probally never moving back
    ayuh

Maine-ah here.

Went to UMass, back up to Maine after grad, went to work for a startup SEO agency which got me traveling a bit (including Moab, UT - which sold me on the the west).....continued to waste a few too many years with the wrong guy.

/bad relationship sob story.

took the dog. packed up. got to Park City. met SkiingBear two days later. got married 3 yrs later. have a house just below LCC.

good deal.

headed back to maine this week for second time in a couple of months (family medical issues) - despite shitty reason to be there, I really enjoy visiting. Lobstah. Clam chowdah.
    current ventures:

<<| Downhill-Divas |>> social network for women's mountain biking, skiing & snowboarding!
    twitter.com/elisabethos
    Adventures in Search & Social Marketing
    ...pmgear...

Lived in CT for 20 years, skiing a bunch of different Vermont and New Hampshire Mtns until I found Jay Peak. It was a far drive, but there was no other Mtn that compared, IMO. Stow and Sugarbush are great, but I loved the rural feel of Jay (and the snow & glades). Anyway, moved out to California 3 years ago and have been skiing Mammoth. It is huge, and you cannot compare any EC resort to a place as big as the Mtns out here. It is cool to drive through like 4 different climates to get there too.

EC for 18 years... the first 18 years...

Lobstah rolls and clam chowdah are the troof! And best of luck with your family issues. Hope all works out.

lived in VA for 18 years, only good thing was the parents were intent on us kids seeing the national parks. been all over the west, yosemite, redwood, sequoia, olympics, glacier, banff, yellowstone, tetons, arches, zion, bryce, canyonlands, grand canyon, rocky mountain, mesa verde...so that started my love for the west.

went to college at WVU, and loved every second...also every spring break went skiing with my uncle in bozeman (1 year in CO)...only enhanced the desire to get out west and ski.

graduated with engineering degree almost a year ago and made the jump to Washington state, even if it is the shitty area..at least im dry. and im stoked that im not stuck in DC like most of my college buds...im about 2 hours from rainier and the rest of the cascades. ive been hiking and biking my ass off and can't fuckin wait for the snow to come...

next step is to get closer to the mountains...ut, co, id, wy,mt, ak...just gotta find a town that supports engineering and outdoors, we aren't all computer geeks that 'own nubes' for fun.

that is all.
    Last edited by grateful2ski; 10-21-2008 at 12:15 PM.
    Im the one whos gotta die, when its time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way i want to

Quote Originally Posted by bklyn View Post
    Search for threads started by "Raps"... contains all you need to know.
    Haha yes to say i have enjoyed my time out west would be an understatement.......

NYC for 24 years.......CO for the past 1 year......never looking back east

Quote Originally Posted by grateful2ski View Post
    next step is to get closer to the mountains...ut, co, id, wy,mt, ak...just gotta find a town that supports engineering and outdoors, we aren't all computer geeks that 'own nubes' for fun.
    hmm... i think i can name 10 or so engineerding maggots /outdoorsy types in SLC alone. and there are definitely a couple in all those other states near the outdoors... shouldn't be too hard
    current ventures:

<<| Downhill-Divas |>> social network for women's mountain biking, skiing & snowboarding!
    twitter.com/elisabethos
    Adventures in Search & Social Marketing
    ...pmgear...

grew up in rochester ny skiing all the time. Went to school in jesery at Rutgers didn't get to ski much there. then moved to denver to ski

I grew up in Halifax skiing at Wentworth and Martock with vacations to Mt. Ste. Anne, Sugarloaf and Sunday River starting at the age of 4. Switched to snowboarding at age 16. I always dreamed of deeper snow and alpine terrain. Upon completion of my undergrad I decided to move west. I applied to one grad school in the Vancouver area and managed to defer acceptance for a year so I could live in Whistler for a winter. And what a winter. 110 days with an average of 15/day for Feb and March. I made sure to get a night job so I could ride everyday. After a summer of tree planting it was off to grad school where I remain today.

I've since switched back to skiing since I feel that AT is more versatile than split boarding and who knew, skiing is actually fun.

I would consider moving back to Quebec to try out some ice climbing but I would miss the west's snow.

working hard at getting fired now.......see you out there in Feb Raps....and i miss that show and everything about that period....some heads still killing it now though so I applaud progression...but love to reminisce.

I grew up skiing around VT and Maine, living in Mass, and went to Berklee. I just finished, toured through the summer, and now I'm in SLC for the ski season because this is the last chance I will ever have to be a ski bum. My bands think I'm fucking crazy, but for obvious reasons I must ski. I definitely have a bright future ahead with music but the bandmates are in school for another year. There's no way I could pull off a long term music career in this Salt Lake place, but its cool for the moment and a really nice change from Boston.. It's too bad that I picked people who don't ski to be in a band with, but there's no way for skiing to be my career. Soo I will thoroughly fucking enjoy altabird this year and then unfortunately thasit for bumming for me!

Lived in MA for 23 yrs of my life. went to college, dropped out with 1 yr left. worked at a liquor store and made some serious bank. Jan of 07 my friends move out to Portland for no reason. I stayed at home took a few classes as well a became a ski bum for for that entire winter. staying at friends dorms up at uvm for days to ski. then in june booked a ticket to visit buds out here and fell in love with it. worked for a month when i got back then packed up and moved out here in august/september. No a certified ski bum and climbing junkie. Could never imagine moving back to MA even though I do miss the Red Sox and the amazing fall season. Will be a West Coaster from now on

Paging Nick P....more NY trash to tell you a story or two

Grew up in Syracuse, NY, went to school in Buffalo for engineering and worked for about 4 years near Ellicottville, NY. Quit and moved here 5 years ago and have never looked back.

I have a very stable engineering job here now after a few years of landscaping/ski rental/non-stable engineering jobs. I went back to visit the family a few weeks ago, and can honestly say that Syracuse will never be my home again, ever.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboFat View Post
    Share your stories terds.
    Do a search for turd stories. We've got those, too.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

I grew up in Maine and went to school at UMaine. Moved out to CO after I graduated to ski and work a little. That was 13 years ago and I haven't left.

I skied all over the state through high school, but bought a 'Loaf pass once I got to UMaine.
    Last edited by cmsummit; 10-21-2008 at 04:04 PM.
    Old's Cool.