Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Goin' to Hawaii

Goin' to Hawaii

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    That's good. We probably benefited from it, but that was the wonkiest part of the system IMHO. Car rentals still checking your QR code, or have they dropped that?
    Still needed the QR code for the car rental. The shuttle bus driver gave us a heads up so we had everything ready when we got there. Didn’t really slow the process down at all. I think that’s the only other time we needed it.
    Last edited by jerlane; 01-22-2022 at 11:25 AM.

Waiting to board in SLC now, they are still issuing bracelets from your QR code here. Lady in front of me just said she was stuck in SLC for three weeks to get a negative COVID test to go home and then accidentally put her results in a checked bag🤨

Smooth sailing into Maui with a bracelet. The line here when we got off the plane was probably 100+ people deep, so I'd recommend being at your departure gate early to get it there, if possible.

^ Thx snowaddict very helpful! we got 1 hour 27 min layover in LAX on Delta; hopeful that's enough time. probably not but "we'll see."
    "Can't you see..."

Goin' to Hawaii

Heading to Maui (ORD-SEA-OGG) in March. Letting wife handle this at my own peril.

Do I understand as of now I should be seeking out some bracelet from gate agent in SEA that will save me some headache upon arrival at OGG?

Yeah, headed to Maui in March as well after we scrapped our plans to go to Europe. Thanks for the good info here.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Crocs

Finally broke down and got Crocs for this exact purpose and they were awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Crocs are the best*

*not actually the best, but very practical and comfy

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Tucker View Post
    ^ Thx snowaddict very helpful! we got 1 hour 27 min layover in LAX on Delta; hopeful that's enough time. probably not but "we'll see."
    Just do it right when you get there and I bet you'll be fine. Lots of people didn't know on my flight so when they first made the announcement everyone kept asking us what we were getting in line for.

Also, Chacos>Crocs

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Just do it right when you get there and I bet you'll be fine. Lots of people didn't know on my flight so when they first made the announcement everyone kept asking us what we were getting in line for.

Also, Chacos>Crocs
    x2. Right down to the chacos.

What about those Tabis?

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    What about those Tabis?
    Aren't those for people who want to feel good about stepping on coral?

Goin' to Hawaii

So stylish! Goes well with my shorts and my childhood fantasy to be a ninja.

My girlfriend appreciated the protection when swimming up jungle streams and scrambling up waterfalls - but to this day mocks me for making her wear them.

This sounds hokey but download the GsPSy app that plays you a tour as you drive around. Amazingly accurate as to where you are, fun facts and history, and directs you to cool view pull offs you would never find And sometimes tasty food. Well worth the $10 or whatever.

My girlfriend appreciated the protection when swimming up jungle streams and scrambling up waterfalls - but to this day mocks me for making her wear them.
    Do they offer those socks in white? Maybe with a couple stripes? I could be convinced by a couple stripes.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Do they offer those socks in white? Maybe with a couple stripes? I could be convinced by a couple stripes.
    Yeah, but only if they are shaped. well you know. like a tube.
    "Can't you see..."

I just threw up in my mouth

Camel toe!
    "Can't you see..."

Looking for any big island recommendations. We are staying at the Mauna Kea Resort (thanks Marriott points). We don’t golf. Plan to do some snorkeling off the beach, star gaze at the top of the volcano one night, go to the Waipi’o valley, etc. not a long trip, 6 days 5 nights. Hikes, food, snorkeling, maybe a dive for me, etc.

Goin' to Hawaii

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Looking for any big island recommendations. We are staying at the Mauna Kea Resort (thanks Marriott points). We don’t golf. Plan to do some snorkeling off the beach, star gaze at the top of the volcano one night, go to the Waipi’o valley, etc. not a long trip, 6 days 5 nights. Hikes, food, snorkeling, maybe a dive for me, etc.

Get to the top of Mauna Kea for a sunset or sunrise. Sea level to 14k is cool. Looking down on the clouds. Awesome. I did a star gazing excursion and they gave us puffy coats at the top, then after sunset we stopped in an area on the way back and they set up telescopes.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR ForumsClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0043.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	1,018.5 KB 
ID:	403006

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Get to the top of Mauna Kea for a sunset or sunrise. Sea level to 14k is cool. Looking down on the clouds. Awesome. I did a star gazing excursion and they gave us puffy coats at the top, then after sunset we stopped in an area on the way back and they set up telescopes.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR ForumsClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0043.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	1,018.5 KB 
ID:	403006
    This plus the manta snorkel/dive that was mentioned earlier. Also the Pololu Valley Lookout is great with the hike down to the beach.

+on Pololu hike, recommend get there early AM. Parking is limited and lots of groups inbound.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1043.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	403033Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1038.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	162.8 KB 
ID:	403034

Waipio Valley is cool. I just love the whole north side of the island, it’s my jam just driving around.

If you go over Hilo side (you should) go via Waimea one direction and via Saddle Road other direction. Such different drives and both amazing landscapes.

Hapuna Beach is great and easily accessible from where you’re staying.

We like to stop in and eat at Kohala Burger and Taco.

Quote Originally Posted by dgilligan02 View Post
    +on Pololu hike, recommend get there early AM. Parking is limited and lots of groups inbound.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1043.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	403033Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1038.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	162.8 KB 
ID:	403034

Waipio Valley is cool. I just love the whole north side of the island, it’s my jam just driving around.

If you go over Hilo side (you should) go via Waimea one direction and via Saddle Road other direction. Such different drives and both amazing landscapes.

Hapuna Beach is great and easily accessible from where you’re staying.

We like to stop in and eat at Kohala Burger and Taco.
    Haha, sounds like we took my last trip there together.

Another great place is Wawaloli Beach Park near the airport. It is a protected pool with waves crashing on the rock wall protecting the pool. Smaller, but nice beach. Awesome place for a sunset. My family loved it.

I really liked the snorkeling and lack of crowds in the southeast corner of big island (around Pahoa)

And yeah the north end of the island is great. You can also access the opposite side of that nature preserve (that Waipio Valley forms the southern side) - I’ve always fantasized about bushwacking that stretch of coast from end to end. There probably are trails (and maybe even are people living back there that are unfriendly to visitors)

I really liked the snorkeling and lack of crowds in the southeast corner of big island (around Pahoa)

And yeah the north end of the island is great. You can also access the opposite side of that nature preserve (that Waipio Valley forms the southern side) - I’ve always fantasized about bushwacking that stretch of coast from end to end. There probably are trails (and maybe even are people living back there that are unfriendly to visitors)
    I love the southeast part of the island too. The wet side has so many great waterfalls and quiet beaches.

The Pololu hike we mentioned is the opposite side of the preserve from Waipio. There are (were) trails connecting the valleys, but most have been destroyed by landslides and lack of use. Here's an interesting article of someone that did it a long time ago.

https://extremehikinghawaii.blogspot...-hall.html?m=1

A more recent account of going from Pololu to the next valley. Seems like that would provide enough for most people.

If you go to Captain Cook's early before the snorkel boats get there it's pretty fun. Follow it up with a lunch at Rebels Kitchen just down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    I love the southeast part of the island too. The wet side has so many great waterfalls and quiet beaches.

The Pololu hike we mentioned is the opposite side of the preserve from Waipio. There are (were) trails connecting the valleys, but most have been destroyed by landslides and lack of use. Here's an interesting article of someone that did it a long time ago.

A more recent account of going from Pololu to the next valley. Seems like that would provide enough for most people.

Ooh yeah thanks this is exactly what I was imagining it would be like - except I always envisioned having to rappel down some slopes (but I’m guessing now that there wouldn't be anything strong enough to anchor off of). I’m good at thinking up shit like this but fortunately for me too lazy to put them into play and hurting myself.