Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Goin' to Hawaii

Goin' to Hawaii

Found cheap flights, the gf and I are off to Maui next week!

Any mags been recently? any suggestions on what to do? I'm looking for a few nice hikes, a few good surf spots (were the locals aren't total dickbags) and whatever else. we're staying in Lahaina.

cheers!

Hangin' with Obama?
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

My wife was born and Raised in LaHaina, Maui she is the Maui Wowie.
    Go-to Ioa Valley and Hana...The bast place to swim is North of Lahaina 5 miles Hanaloa Bay it's not secret, but it's a marine preserve and the best reef that is close.
    sorry for the spelling
    "Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is" -Charles DeMar
    Never argue with an idiot..They always drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Make sure you go to Little Beach and be sure to post a TR when you get back. Wife and I were there in May, loved it. My cousin tends bar in LaHaina at a place called Mala, definatly worth checking out. If your into snorkeling you can save your money by not going an an expensive charter and check out Hanaloa Bay like yonskion suggested. Best advice is to be flexible and relax.

I'm jealous dude. Maui is one of my favorite places on earth and is easily the best of the hawaiian islands. Definitley take a day and drive out to Hana, there are lots of good hikes along the way and plenty of waterfalls to swim in. There are several good surf breaks northwest of lahaina and I have never had an issue with locals on Maui. I biggest recommendation would be to check out the Olivine Pools on the northwest side of the island between Kapalua and Wailuku, it is at around mile maker 16 on the road from Wailuku, from there you drop down a steep trail right down to the pools which are ocean fed swimming holes right next to the ocean. Definitely check them out! Also if you have one expensive dinner while there go to Mama's Fish House near Paia (http://www.mamasfishhouse.com/), one of the best meals I have ever had.

Pick up "Maui Revealed" guide book, it is possibly the best guide book I have found on any location. Happy a blast and post pictures when you get back.
    "I have never been able to properly explain myself in this climate." -H.S.Thompson

“Every now and then when your life gets complicated and the weasels start closing in, the only cure is to load up on heinous chemicals and then drive like a bastard from Hollywood to Las Vegas ... with the music at top volume and at least a pint of ether.” -H.S.Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Chiz View Post
    any suggestions on what to do?
    cheers!

Naked pics of the gf is an idea.

Across the street from the 7 Sacred Pools in Hana is a trail that crosses some farmland, mango groves, and winds up through the bamboo forest. Along the way there are numerous waterfalls good for jumping. I remember there being a suspension foot bridge as well. At the end of the trail there was a massive waterfall. I cannot remember the name of it for the life of me, but it was epic. I have great photo stills but no digitals to put up. You should make a point of trying to find it. It is worth it.
    "You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning".

-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Lash LaRue View Post
    Also if you have one expensive dinner while there go to Mama's Fish House near Paia (http://www.mamasfishhouse.com/), one of the best meals I have ever had.

Pick up "Maui Revealed" guide book, it is possibly the best guide book I have found on any location. Happy a blast and post pictures when you get back.
    I'll second these suggestions.

You know it's a good guide book if the locals hate it. The book has some great snorkeling info and the blowhole was cool.

I haven't been in a couple years but we're leaving on Sunday. Super stoked. The waves started last week from what I hear. I hope the trades are still blowing.

Keep the camera handy for Lahaina on Halloween

Quote Originally Posted by Binky View Post
    Across the street from the 7 Sacred Pools in Hana is a trail that crosses some farmland, mango groves, and winds up through the bamboo forest. Along the way there are numerous waterfalls good for jumping. I remember there being a suspension foot bridge as well. At the end of the trail there was a massive waterfall. I cannot remember the name of it for the life of me, but it was epic. I have great photo stills but no digitals to put up. You should make a point of trying to find it. It is worth it.
    I'll second this suggestion. The waterfall at the end is easily 300ft+ and the bamboo forest is wild.

Just the drive out to Hana is a spectacular must-do. Hopefully neither of you get motion sickness, it's literally hairpin after hairpin for several hours.

Yup, road to Hana is dope. Literally. Score some Maui Wowi from locals on that road.

Just got back. If your staying in Lahaina check out the beaches on that side before you go driving your whole vacation away. Personally, the only east side beach I hung out at was Big Beach in Makena state park, its freaking beautiful, Little Beach...while a nude beach, should really just be called dude beach, is on the north side of the Big beach, up and over the rocks. You can continue past little beach to explore the coast. Be careful of the surf, I mean it, it can be a deadly shore pound and neck breaker, but dont let that scare you, its just some people dont have a clue and go and get drowned out here, on any beach. Kihei is nice for shops/food/spirits and one the way there or home.

If you go to Io valley, which I suggest for lite hiking dont stay on the paved path. Follow the stream to your left up the valley, dont forget your trunks and a picknick lunch. Trails go everywhere, there is also a trail that starts from the top of the paved path that does a relatively easy climb into a nice canopy, be prepared for rain and some mud. Io is where the Hawaiians lived and battled King Kam. I, and lost. Its a nice half day.

On another day go to Paia is a little hippy town with some nice art studios. Just before it is Baldwin beach which is gorgeous as well but gets winding in the afternoon. Just past Paia is Hokipa beach, which is know for its world class wind/kite surfing. If you go to the top lookout, the last entrance towards Hana, park and hop the fence (everyone does) and go down to the tide pools and excellent snorkeling. Again watch for waves.

Ok, I am almost forgetting the most important part. The Crater, it is worth the drive, earlier the better, bring warm cloths. The drive is beautiful. If you can do a backpacking trip for a night or two, I recommend doing it. Go early or camp at the campground the night before outside the crater in the park. Hike down sliding sands trail to Paliku, check for cabin availability, if not, camp, be prepared for rain at night. Hike out Halemalu trail and up and out to your car. It is freaking world class, bullshit sick, I mean it.

Oh and what Binky said if you want to spend a huge day driving to Hana, which I think personally sucks, but thats because I get car sick. If you can spend the night camping in Hana so it isnt such a huge day. Hike to the water fall, it is sick, and waterfalls rule.

Quote Originally Posted by ProHoHater View Post
    Hike to the water fall, it is sick, and waterfalls rule.
    Lots of roadside waterfall pools to cliffjump into on that road too.

Nice, thanks all!

Got to say that w/ work, etc i've been too busy to get stoked, but after reading this, im getting all tingly down there!

Bump.

Mrs LWS and I are headed to Maui for a week at the end of the month. We've already done to trips to the Big Island (and Mrs LWS lived there for a while) so we wanted something different.

Staying in Lahaina. Have a rental car. We will be bringing snorkel gear. What's the best way to get to Molokini Islet? (Is it even worth it or is it too crowded?)

What's cool to do? Any good hole-in-the-wall type restaurants? Sushi? Poke? What else should we know? Do tourists get the stink eye? Do you have to deal with tweaker weirdos anywhere? Do they have Obama's birth certificate on display?
    Last edited by Leavenworth Skier; 10-06-2017 at 04:04 PM.

Fish Market Maui has good fish tacos just north of Kaanapali and I really like Slaughterhouse Beach, get there early and leave when it starts to get crowded in the early afternoon .
    If you don't like crowds stay away from Kapalua, kind of a shit show there. I might be in the minority but I think the Road to Hana is a total waste of time. The water falls in the Columbia Gorge before the fire are much better than what you'll see on the drive. Kahekili State park can be good snorkling and it's super easy access.
    If you're near Kihei Da Kitchen has local Hawaiian food in a strip mall , huge servings.
    If you need a cheap rental car these guys have beaters for cheap. https://www.manaloharentacar.net/

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    Fish Market Maui has good fish tacos just north of Kaanapali and I really like Slaughterhouse Beach, get there early and leave when it starts to get crowded in the early afternoon .
    If you don't like crowds stay away from Kapalua, kind of a shit show there. I might be in the minority but I think the Road to Hana is a total waste of time. The water falls in the Columbia Gorge before the fire are much better than what you'll see on the drive. Kahekili State park can be good snorkling and it's super easy access.
    If you're near Kihei Da Kitchen has local Hawaiian food in a strip mall , huge servings.
    If you need a cheap rental car these guys have beaters for cheap. https://www.manaloharentacar.net/
    Word. The rental car place seems like it might be a good way to go, look like less of an out of town kook. (other than our pasty white skin and blue guidebook in hand.)

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Word. The rental car place seems like it might be a good way to go, look like less of an out of town kook. (other than our pasty white skin and blue guidebook in hand.)
    The owner is an Italian windsurfer that never left. I have used him 3 times. Once a Toyota Corolla with a primer spot on a door($180 for a week) and once a minivan where the passenger van door didn't open right from the inside. When i pointed this out to him and pick up his response to me was, " why don't you be a gentleman and open the door for your wife to get out". That line was so good I laughed and drove away with it. The cars aren't perfect but their cheap, reliable and you don't need to worry about getting charged for a door ding. I think the Maui Revealed is a good book but EVERY tourist on Maui uses it. I also think food is generally lacking on Maui so I usually buy local fish to grill and eat in when we're there. Mama's is a freaking tourist trap full of 60 year olds with Hawaiian shirts on paying for the view and RUN as fast as you can away from Kaanapali shopping area unless you/your wife like looking at Gucci bags and Tommy Bahama shirts.

Also try Olivine Pools.

Friends like eating at Monkeypod

When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Already ordered it. But if it's anything like the Big Island book, some things are hyped up or glossed over that shouldn't be.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Bump.

Mrs LWS and I are headed to Maui for a week at the end of the month. We've already done to trips to the Big Island (and Mrs LWS lived there for a while) so we wanted something different.

Staying in Lahaina. Have a rental car. We will be bringing snorkel gear. What's the best way to get to Molokini Islet? (Is it even worth it or is it too crowded?)

What's cool to do? Any good hole-in-the-wall type restaurants? Sushi? Poke? What else should we know? Do tourists get the stink eye? Do you have to deal with tweaker weirdos anywhere? Do they have Obama's birth certificate on display?
    Skip Molokini and go snorkeling at the ahihi preserve down near wailea.

Goin' to Hawaii

I spent two months there this yr and have been visiting for 20 yrs.

The reefs are in rough shape now, you must think outside the box. Honolua bay is still awesome but check the wind is not from the nw or if has rained a lot.

If your a strong swimmer (500 meters) you can park west of the tunnel and swim out to coral gardens, or grab a boat from Kihei. Best reef around.

For turtles Just south of Kannapali beach, and just past the outrigger club is a parking lot, and out in front are some boulders, and there no less than 20 huge turtles out there at any given time. Enter from small beach on either side and swim the length. They all hide there from the tourists on Kannapali. Also shower, which is nice.

Black rock is nice too, but go early, and don't be surprised if some tourist dies. I missed finding a body by about 20 feet.

Molokini has crazy fish life but the reef is so/soband trip is expensive.

For easy access, and an awesome beach try airport beach, but you must swim up, to lookers right, about 250 meters before the reef gets nice, and 25-50 meters out. Used to be the best, but that Westin is killing it slowly.

Kapalua reef is shit now, but my daughter did find this monster.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by Cono Este; 10-09-2017 at 07:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post

The reefs are in rough shape now, you must think outside the box. Honolua bay is still awesome but check the wind is not from the nw or if has rained a lot.

If your a strong swimmer (500 meters) you can park west of the tunnel and swim out to coral gardens, or grab a boat from Kihei. Best reef around.

For turtles Just south of Kannapali beach, and just past the outrigger club is a parking lot, and out in front are some boulders, and there no less than 20 huge turtles out there at any given time. Enter from small beach on either side and swim the length. They all hide there from the tourists on Kannapali. Also shower, which is nice.

Black rock is nice too, but go early, and don't be surprised if some tourist dies. I missed finding a body by about 20 feet.

For easy access, and an awesome beach try airport beach, but your must swim up, to lookers right, about 250 meters before the reef gets nice, and 25-50 meters out. Used to be the best, but that Westin is killing it slowly.

Daughter

Surf dumps if it's breaking on the south shore n go to big beach.. go up to the volcano for sunrise then go for a hike... Hana...surf the break wall if it's breaking on westside.. hookipa on the northshore... I won't mention any locals only breaks. If wanting to get away from the westside mess go take a ferry over to lanai.. great place.

Goin' to Hawaii

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post

For easy access, and an awesome beach try airport beach, but you must swim up, to lookers right, about 250 meters before the reef gets nice, and 25-50 meters out. Used to be the best, but that Westin is killing it slowly.

Kapalua reef is shit now, but my daughter did find this monster.

I am sad to hear this about the reefs. Has there been a lot of bleaching lately, or just too many tourists?

I always thought Hawaii had some of the nicest reefs that were still in good shape... the cooler water seems to have prevented the bleaching that has absolutely destroyed the Caribbean. Last year in Kauai the reefs still seemed in ok shape to me ?