TR: Who needs acclimation? A 14ers climb!

This trip report is VERY loosely related to skiing, but it does have snow and pictures of ski tracks, so here goes!

Last week I made the big move from Philadelphia, PA (200 ft. of elevation) to Aspen, CO (8,000 ft. of elevation)! I drove out with all of my worldly possessions in my hatchback and finally arrived in town on Friday afternoon. After using Saturday to get myself settled in a bit, I thought what better way to spend my first weekend in the mountains than to climb a couple of 14ers? Oh, and I don't know anybody here yet, so I'm going solo! I picked up some topo maps from Ute Mountaineering and plotted my route. The goal: Castle and Conundrum Peaks, 14,265 and 14,060 feet respectively.

I woke up early Sunday morning and drove out to the trailhead. Right away, the views were fantastic.

Already at 10,000 feet the access road was covered with snow and ice in patches. Maybe I should have brought my crampons and ice axe?

At 13,000 feet I came up to this snowfield with a couple of tracks on it. I started thinking "Damn, I should have brought my skis up with me!"

I scrambled up the rocks looker's left and met the two dudes skinning up in the previous picture at the top of that pitch. Alex and Adam, if you guys are on here, it was great meeting you. Thanks for the yodels and for the beer on the way back down. Looking forward to skiing with you guys soon!

The next pitch up to the saddle between Castle and Conundrum looked like this, with some tracks coming down in awesome looking snow. Now I was thinking, "DAMN, I REALLY should have brought my skis up with me!"

This is a picture of me at the saddle between the two peaks, with the final pitch up to the summit of Castle right behind me:

On the summit of my first 14er! Castle Peak:

From the summit, it looks like I have a lot of exploring left to do:

My backcountry buddies back east and I have a tradition to share a shot of Grand Marnier on every summit we reach. I'm just continuing on that tradition:

Looking across at my next destination: Conundrum Peak from the summit of Castle. Conundrum Couloir, splitting the peak in the picture, has definite skiing potential once it fills in a bit more!

Back down in the saddle looking up at the climb to the summit of Conundrum. The climb to Castle was mostly covered in snow. The different aspect of the Conundrum ridge meant no snow, just really loose rock that was tricky to navigate.

Self-photo on the summit of Conundrum with Castle Peak in the background. Aren't camera timers great?

A closer view back at Castle Peak. The couloir just looker's left of the summit also looks like a great one to ski in the future!

All in all, this trip was amazing way to spend my first weekend in the mountains! Luckily, the altitude change didn't affect me too much. Mostly I was just breathing a little heavier for the level of effort I was exerting.

So where are all the Aspen mags? There's some good snow out there and I'm itching to get my first turns of the season. Anyone wanna head out??

Might take a morning off this week or next to get in the October turns... and wow, that has filled in a lot in the last two storms.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Welcome to the valley. My wife and I moved here three years ago from Bucks County, PA and haven't looked back. Spent some time in Philly at Thomas Jefferson Hospital this summer as well. Enjoy life out here; it's as good as it gets. Oh, and those couloirs on Castle and Conundrum are fantastic when filled in.

awesome pictures man. welcome to one of the greatest places in the US.
    Steezin' it...

You hiked up to the top of a snow covered mountain and didn't bring your skis?

ummm, did you know there are little kids in California starving right now?

yer killing me
    Hello darkness my old friend

Quote Originally Posted by Dhelihiker View Post

yer killing me
    hahahahaha win. Dhelihiker has made a good point. Hike it again today, and this time bring your gear. And take more pics
    Steezin' it...

Quote Originally Posted by Dhelihiker View Post

yer killing me
    Dude believe me, I'm still kicking myself over it. Once I saw that snowfield I almost ran back down the trail 5 miles to get my gear!

Next weekend I will not be making the same mistake!

Dude, you really should have brought your skis.

Looks nice!

nice trip and nice tr.

i'm not someone who likes celebrating summits a lot, but that looks like fun.

Nice work man...never let flatlander lungs get in the way. Keep it up.

That snow looks good. Have fun skiing it next weekend.

Awesome pics!

Here's what you missed:
    http://tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39819

It is good to see new folks moving here that actually get out and enjoy the mountains. I'm sure we'll meet on the hill this winter. Cheers-

loads more snow on those 14ers than the ones I checked out this weekend....hmmmmm perhaps ill change my plans for this weekend and head towards the elks

Awesome TR, looks like those guys you met up definitely had a better time then you did though....snow=skis
    Losers whine about doing their best, winners go home and fuck the prom queen.

You're living my dream! Hopefully I'll be joining you in a few years!
    www.skiwisp.com
    Home sweet home.

Thumbs up

Thanks for posting - good beta.
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

Thanks, I needed that. I can almost see myself there.