Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question "New mountain" at Bohemia

I just got a flyer for Bohemia in the mail yesterday, and on one of the pages read this:

NEW MOUNTAIN OPENING THIS YEAR

Mount Bohemia is opening another mountain this season on selected Saturdays. This will be the first new ski area in the Midwest since 2000 when Bohemia opened and only the second on to open in Michigan in the past 25 years.

This mountain with a 700 foot vertical drop will eventually feature over 900 acres of gladed terrain. The terrain is serviced by snowcats. This year we will limit the daily amount of customers to only 10 people so sign up early as these trips will likely sell out early.

Trip Dates:
    Saturday March 7th
    Saturday March 14th

Cost:
    $100
    What's up with this? First off: where is said "mountain?" Are they actually going to maybe some day expand to another location, with maybe another lift (very hard to believe).

Just wondering if any Midwest mags have heard anything more about this. How about you, Jer? Are they encroaching on your Mountain of Madness?

700 foot vertical drop? by the time i'm done with that i'll probably be ready to take off my texas starter jacket and have a hot chocolate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Divebomber View Post
    OR sign it with a fake sig, then later they say "we have your sig!" NO you dont!

Quote Originally Posted by flyby View Post
    700 foot vertical drop? by the time i'm done with that i'll probably be ready to take off my texas starter jacket and have a hot chocolate.
    we got what we got here, but that was fucking funny.

I've lived in the midwest for most of my life ( until now ), and went to college up @ Northern Michigan. Bohemia is what it is, the only thing around that comes even kind of, but not really close to skiing out west. However, if I was still living in the UP, I'd still be skiing at bohemia b/c it beats all the other midwestern resorts. The ad is hilarious, just skip the vertical drop, it's not even worth mentioning, they should have focused on the 900 acres of gladed terrain accessible via snowcats.

Funny post though.

I would like to come over and hit it up. Hey JER whaddya tjink, wanna hook up? we are soul bruthas in METAL, let's do it! Sounds like you could use some freinds mon
    "Og der hvor det fornærmelig er , utleie det stor akse falle."

Quote Originally Posted by fonixmunkee View Post
    Just wondering if any Midwest mags have heard anything more about this. How about you, Jer? Are they encroaching on your Mountain of Madness?
    That would be my guess. It's only about two miles east of Bohemia and there is a road going to the top. Luckily, they're only doing the snowcats two Saturdays in March (that is if they end up doing it at all). I predict that creepy insane asylum just north of Calumet will be filled to capacity with poor raving souls who were driven instantly catatonic from gazing upon The Chute That Should Not Be. Lonnie's makin' a big mistake!

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgoroth View Post
    I would like to come over and hit it up. Hey JER whaddya tjink, wanna hook up? we are soul bruthas in METAL, let's do it! Sounds like you could use some freinds mon
    I tjink that's totallar grim. And KVLT too. PM me and I'll give you the number for Motel Hell in Copper Harbor. Friends are for Xtian turd eating poserfags! NO MOSH-NO TRENDS-NO FUN-NO FRIENDS!

:[

Grim and frostbitten:
    Last edited by Jer; 10-19-2008 at 05:36 PM.

Are you sure the snowcat skiing is at bohemia, not the porkies. its on the bohemia site but says the porkies on it http://www.mtbohemia.com/everest.html

also is bohemia only running one chair this year, i heard the double might not run

Quote Originally Posted by jz3 View Post
    Are you sure the snowcat skiing is at bohemia, not the porkies. its on the bohemia site but says the porkies on it http://www.mtbohemia.com/everest.html

also is bohemia only running one chair this year, i heard the double might not run
    Nope, this one is at Bohemia. That cat operation at the Porkies has been going on for a few years, and sounds like they are trying to branch it out to Bohemia now. I was kinda curious to see what everyone else knew.

I'm thinking that Bohemia would be spinning both lifts when it gets busy, since they are now charging season pass holders a $1 a day "fuel surcharge" for running the lifts. It doesn't really matter to me as long as they keep the bus running, that's all I care about

any improvement including 900 acres of gladed terrain is ok in my book!!!

shit's extreeeeemmm!!!

how will he enforce one dollar fuel charge, no more high tech arm bands? Mt. Houghton was for sale last year, which can be fun, long walk with no sled. but theres that other bump to the east too.

I'm thinking that Bohemia would be spinning both lifts when it gets busy, since they are now charging season pass holders a $1 a day "fuel surcharge" for running the lifts. It doesn't really matter to me as long as they keep the bus running, that's all I care about
    I think it would be really great if he ripped out the Bear's Den (or whatever it's called) lift and sold it. They only need the one front side lift. If they didn't have any lift at all east of the Crackcountry I think it would deter some beaters from going back there. The bus and one lift is all they need. And they should run the bus only to the base of the BD lift - if you want to ski the far Outer Limits you should be willing to hike a bit.

I remember talk about this cat skiing stuff last year too. They stand to gross a whole $2000 from it. I don't see how it's worth it.

"Cat Free Mt. ********!", "Save Our Mt. ********!":

"Skin tracks, not cat tracks!!"

I say we have a summit and go back there and moon 'em!
    Last edited by Jer; 10-20-2008 at 04:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    I think it would be really great if he ripped out the Bear's Den (or whatever it's called) lift and sold it. They only need the one front side lift.
    You mean you don't just exclusively ski the front side, with the rest of the 612s? I hear the natural moguls are the bomb shit!!

I think I can agree with you on the Bear's Den lift, but a lot of the repeat visitors ski that area, so Bohemia might see a drop off in return visits if he wasn't to run that lift.

Ditto on the snow cat thing...what's the benefit, unless they are trying to gauge interest in the area...or, more likely, it's a marketing ploy. Or they are trying to piss off the local area, again. Now that I have a pair of Dukes on order, I don't care about any snowcatting.

Seconded.

^^Might have to hit you up for a little Carpool this year munkee

Quote Originally Posted by TyWebb View Post
    ^^Might have to hit you up for a little Carpool this year munkee
    Anything we can save for beer $$. I'm on your way up to the UP too (just outside of Duluth). You know where to find me, and I'll be sure to drop you a line when we plan on heading out this year!

We should definitely consider this...

One of you higher-post mags should pick a date, preferably either before x-mas or way after, and set this shit up.

Terrorizing Copper Harbor was fun last year with just two, I cannot imagine how much fun it would be with a big crew...

And how late they would keep the two bars open, 4AM was nice, perhaps we should shoot for 6?

Before Xmass there probably won't be that much snow on (where I think) the new cat skiing area is. And there won't be any cat skiers to moon.

But I'm up for it late season.

Personally - I will be at Bohemia for sure on opening day and the day or two after, depending on the weather. Hopefully this year makes last year look like the year before, and I'm not just talking about the Keweenaw.

When the hell is opening day? I can't find it anywhere on the website.

Quote Originally Posted by Boom Heir View Post
    When the hell is opening day? I can't find it anywhere on the website.
    Well, now how in the fuck would they possibly know when opening day is? It's October, for chrissakes.....

"Shit, I'll choke her while she's cleaning, and I'll do it wearing a helmet cam mounted on a full-face helmet.
    I'll have meatdrink9 do the lighting for the shot. He'll make it artsy as fuck."
    - Phunk

Jer: when was the first day you skied Bohemia last season? I didn't keep track last year, just showed up kind of late in the season. I plan on changing that, and making my money's worth for my season pass (all $99).

Also, I didn't know the bars were open that late. We usually get a trail side yurt and rage a few dirty thirties every night.

Also, I didn't know the bars were open that late. We usually get a trail side yurt and rage a few dirty thirties every night.
    The bars 'closed' at 2, but the bartender was quite sure that we could drink the sun up if we felt like it because the local law-enforcement isn't all that local and evidently doesn't come to town all that often during the winter.

Also, the motel room that we got (King Copper Motel) was about what you'd expect but the owners were very nice and offered several times over our three day stay to do our laundry or make us dinner if we wanted to join them.

All in all, except for the hill being closed for a day, due to a blizzard, it was an enjoyable experience.

All in all, except for the hill being closed for a day, due to a blizzard, it was an enjoyable experience.
    Serial? WTF?
    "Those 1%ers are not an avaricious "them" but in reality the most entrepreneurial of "us". If we had more of them and fewer grandstanding politicians, we would all be better off."
    - Bradley Schiller, Prof. of Economics, Univ. Nevada - Reno.

Unfortunately, I can fly to SLC faster than I can drive to Bohemia. Just about the same price too.
    Sadness.

Quote Originally Posted by flatNshallow View Post
    Serial? WTF?
    We got to the area on Friday, skied Friday and Saturday, then went back to Copper Harbor for the night. Flipped on the trusty weather channel and quickly had a discussion about leaving immediately. We decided to wait it out and went to the bar. After watching the weather channel til around 2ish, the bartender said he wasn't going home that night and would be sleeping on the floor, so we could drink til whenever. (This was after the previous night when he just plain kept the bar open til 4).

So we went back to the hotel and went to bed. We woke up in the morning to wind-chills of -20 to -30 and winds in the mid-70s, but we were on the shore of Lake Superior and weren't exactly sure what the weather would be like 10 - 15 miles inland where Bohemia is.

On the way to the mountain, a drifting snow had covered the road that we slammed into a full-blown snowbank at 25ish MPH. Needless to say we were shitting our pants because visibility was almost zero and we had seen three plows in town that morning, that were probably on their way back. Finally we dug our way out and we were at the mountain.

Lonnie told us they were closed and that weren't going to open all day. I went and grabbed my split-board, which I had brought along for such an occasion and set-up the night before, and just as I was about to start skinning, he yelled from his Yurt-office that if I skinned up he would call the police and they would be waiting when I got down. I bitched out, went back to the car, and drove the 8 hours back to Madison.

Does anyone know if the hill opened that day, Jan 30th 2008?

Jer: when was the first day you skied Bohemia last season?
    Opening day. I think it was the Friday after the season pass sale.

I went and grabbed my split-board, which I had brought along for such an occasion and set-up the night before, and just as I was about to start skinning, he yelled from his Yurt-office that if I skinned up he would call the police and they would be waiting when I got down. I bitched out, went back to the car, and drove the 8 hours back to Madison.

Does anyone know if the hill opened that day, Jan 30th 2008?
    No, it didn't. Lonnie told me he would have opened the front lift if the wind would have been blowing with the lift line instead of across it. The issue was chairs slamming into towers. Those were very severe winds that day. If you were a smart poacher, you would have parked at Lac Labelle Lodge and put in a skin track on the Bear's Den side. Don't worry though - it wasn't that great. It didn't really snow that much the night before - it just blew like 50+mph.

edit: Didn't see your date. Are you sure it was Jan 30th? If so, then the exact same thing happened about a month or so later. I was in Utah from right after the New Year's storm until early Feb, so I couldn't have been there on the 30th.
    Last edited by Jer; 10-24-2008 at 02:35 PM.

edit: Didn't see your date. Are you sure it was Jan 30th? If so, then the exact same thing happened about a month or so later. I was in Utah from right after the New Year's storm until early Feb, so I couldn't have been there on the 30th.
    Yeah your right on the date... I just looked at some pics from the drive back and they are dated 2/10/08 and the storm was the night before. SO, we got there on the 8th.

And had I known a better place to park, I would've skinned up somewhere else, but as far as I knew the only parking lot around was the Bohemia one.
    Last edited by Boom Heir; 10-24-2008 at 02:44 PM.