Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SheRa View Post
    I've got to get that!
    Jongified post- But is this really worth the money? and don't give me answers like if you have to ask you should already know

How appropriate that the people whining for guidebooks live in Cities.
    Go find the shit yourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by BlurredElevens View Post
    Yep. Guilty as charged. You enjoy your mountains, enjoy your stashes, you've worked to find them.

But don't become so myopically elitist that you feel the need to crow, exclude and belittle people who aren't in such a fortunate position. It's ugly.
    "Nothing is funnier than Hitler." - Smokey McPole

whining for guidebooks? I don't see anyone whining for them. It's a free market economy, someone publishes one, and people either buy it or not. Nobody is whining that there should be more guidebooks, all I see is people whining about the existence of them.

And you know what, I don't own the mountains any more or any less whether I live in a city or a small town or the middle of nowhere (hint: neither do you). I've lived in all of them. I've used guidebooks sometimes (they can be really helpful sometimes and really annoying at others) and I've found stuff on my own. And if I found something on my own, and someone else shows up there because they read it in a guidebook or a friend showed them or they read it on the internet, so be it.

If your stash is so vulnerable that a guidebook would destroy its value, your stash is too damn close to civilization to be much of a stash.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

We're all a tourist somewhere.

This thread has inspired me to write a guidebook to the Gore Range. Once published, you'll find me running laps on Nitro at Berthoud while the Gore's get overrun with traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by Ireallyliketoski View Post
    I can't wait to hit the Gore Range this weekend!
    When wandering in remote and unmapped great ranges like the Gore, remember to respect the culture and customs of the local tribes, who rarely see Westerners and might be frightened by your futuristic and alien appearance. Tuck your jeans into your boots to look local. Also, remember that the Gorsuch store only stocks 5 kinds of exotic fur cossack hats, so you won't have access to the same amenities you might enjoy back home!

Off to Shelf Road to clip bolts for the weekend, guidebook lovers represent in my absence!!!
    "Buy the Fucking Plane Tickets!"
    -- Jack Tackle

This thread has inspired me to write a guidebook to the Gore Range. Once published, you'll find me running laps on Nitro at Berthoud while the Gore's get overrun with traffic.
    Don't forget when you get home to crack open those bottles of Dom that you could afford because of all the money the guidebook brought you!
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

People whining about the existence of guidebooks need to be dumping on the people that write them, not the people that buy them. And most of the people that write guidebooks live in the mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    People whining about the existence of guidebooks need to be dumping on the people that write them, not the people that buy them. And most of the people that write guidebooks live in the mountains.
    Yeah! Fuck that Gaffney guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    Yeah! Fuck that Gaffney guy.
    Yeah! And Dawson, and Moynier, and Turino, and McLean, and Keltner, and Selters and...and...and anyone that's posted a bc TR - fuck them too.

Later on let's savage the people that invented fat skis, 'kay? Those fuckers put more people on formerly deserted slopes (heh - slopes) than even the bastard guidebook writers.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiNebraski View Post
    Jongified post- But is this really worth the money? and don't give me answers like if you have to ask you should already know
    I don't really understand your question. Are the books worth the money? Since I got mine off Summit for free, I would have to say yes.

The forum is good right now - so much awesome debate!
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

neo is offline ï»ï»ï»ï»ï»ï»ï
    How appropriate that the people whining about guidebooks live in molehills they think are Mountains.
    Go find real shit.

man im stoked for laps on nitro......as far as my opinion on guidebooks, I've used 'em. I'll probably use 'em again. And frankly, I'm a big fan of gettin' as much information as possible before I go put myself somewhere in the mountains, so if there's a book or a blog or something available about something I'm going to go ski, I have no problem using it to keep myself from getting killed.

Off to go hike the Sangres all weekend, have fun duking it out y'all...seriously though good debate

Quote Originally Posted by neo View Post
    How appropriate that the people whining about guidebooks live in molehills they think are Mountains.
    Go find real shit.
    3 POSTS? SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU LITTLE SELF IMPORTANT CUM STAIN.

AREN'T YOU THE SAME LOSER WHINING ABOUT INTRAWEST?

IS THAT WHERE THE REAL MOUNTAINS ARE?

PULL THE 12" COCK OUT OF YOUR ASS, BITCH.
    Hey d-bag - here's something for you to think about: maybe (just maybe) not everybody here has their little panties in a wad 24/7 and flies into a rage whenever somebody disagrees with them. Maybe these same mags don't take this place uber-seriously. Maybe this even includes the vast majority of the people who post here as opposed to you and like 20 other thin-skinned douchebags. Just something to think about. -JER

Quote Originally Posted by JONG SLAUGHTER View Post
    3 POSTS? SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU LITTLE SELF IMPORTANT CUM STAIN.

AREN'T YOU THE SAME LOSER WHINING ABOUT INTRAWEST?

IS THAT WHERE THE REAL MOUNTAINS ARE?

PULL THE 12" COCK OUT OF YOUR ASS, BITCH.
    "Self Important?" Just repeating BlurredElevens and adding some truth.

Intrawest - didn't say anything one way or the other than the facts. Don't care.

And if you think Colorado is more than a bunch of molehills, then you should step out of the meth trailer, bend over, and JONG YER STUPIDSELF.
    And don't forget your "USGS map."

"Self Important?" Just repeating BlurredElevens and adding some truth.

Intrawest - didn't say anything one way or the other than the facts. Don't care.

And if you think Colorado is more than a bunch of molehills, then you should step out of the meth trailer, bend over, and JONG YER STUPIDSELF.
    And don't forget your "USGS map."
    MAYBE YOU DON'T GET IT YOU LITTLE TWINKLE TOED COCKSUCKER.

YOU'RE A LOSER.

YOU POSTED A THREAD ABOUT INTRAWEST. OF COURSE YOU CARE.
    SO IS THAT WHERE THE ANTI-MOLEHILL IS?

DID TWGIO GET PWNED? YOU STUPID AZ CUNT.
    Hey d-bag - here's something for you to think about: maybe (just maybe) not everybody here has their little panties in a wad 24/7 and flies into a rage whenever somebody disagrees with them. Maybe these same mags don't take this place uber-seriously. Maybe this even includes the vast majority of the people who post here as opposed to you and like 20 other thin-skinned douchebags. Just something to think about. -JER

MAYBE YOU DON'T GET IT YOU LITTLE TWINKLE TOED COCKSUCKER.

YOU'RE A LOSER.

YOU POSTED A THREAD ABOUT INTRAWEST. OF COURSE YOU CARE.
    SO IS THAT WHERE THE ANTI-MOLEHILL IS?

DID TWGIO GET PWNED? YOU STUPID AZ CUNT.
    YES I GOT THAT BLURREDELEVENS DIDN'T KNOW THE GORE "RANGE" IS SMALLER THAN MANY SINGLE MOUNTAINS IN CANADA,

AND THAT YOU ARE A COLORAOD LUVING, ANAL RETENTIVE BUTTWHORE.

YES I GOT THAT BLURREDELEVENS DIDN'T KNOW THE GORE "RANGE" IS SMALLER THAN MANY SINGLE MOUNTAINS IN CANADA,

AND THAT YOU ARE A COLORAOD LUVING, ANAL RETENTIVE BUTTWHORE.
    I'VE SEEN YOUR IP LOSER. YOU DON'T LIVE IN CANADA.

TIRED OF FUCKING YOUR HAND YET?

I'VE SEEN YOUR IP LOSER. YOU DON'T LIVE IN CANADA.

TIRED OF FUCKING YOUR HAND YET?
    WHO SAID ANYTHING ABOUT LIVING IN CANADA?

HOW YOU HAVE SEEN MY IP ADDRESS?

WHO SAID ANYTHING ABOUT LIVING IN CANADA?

HOW YOU HAVE SEEN MY IP ADDRESS?
    WHAT YOU DON'T KNOW=ABOUT HOW MUCH SHIT I CAN STUFF IN THE GRAND CANYON YOU STUPID LITTLE BITCH.

CONSIDER YOURSELF PWNED (AND BANNED IF YOU DON'T STFU)

I'VE SEEN YOUR IP LOSER. YOU
    POST IT UP THEN.

WHAT YOU DON'T KNOW=ABOUT HOW MUCH SHIT I CAN STUFF IN THE GRAND CANYON YOU STUPID LITTLE BITCH.

CONSIDER YOURSELF PWNED (AND BANNED IF YOU DON'T STFU)
    BANNED? YOU'RE SO ON TILT.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Guide books are for runs like those in Dawson's books and Front Range Ski descents... runs everyone knows about. That is because guide books are for people who are too fucking stupid to read a map, too lazy to search for themselves, or too new to the pursuit (or too much of a douche) to find a friend who can take them somewhere cool.

The type of people who need a guide book to tour in those places don't belong there. The prospect of rescuing someone like that from deep in those wildernesses in winter is terrifying. It would become a recovery.
    self-important nonsense, dude. give me a break. guidebooks provide inspiration, ideas, and interesting tidbits and clues that can help point you in the right direction. a picture or a few hundred words can do justice to a place that a bunch of squiggly lines on a map can't.

I like to let people decide on their own where they think they belong and don't belong. I think we've been through this before, though, and I guess we just have to agree to disagree on whether or not people should be able to make decisions for themselves or have the "experts" decide for them.