Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Question WA college assistance, please.

So I met with this college counselor lady this morning...

I walked in there completely set on going to either Denver or Boulder. I walked out wondering how far skiing is from curricula in Washington...

I was wondering if anyone could perhaps tell me a little more about University of Seattle and/or University of Washington, and their respective proximities to cool mountains (i.e. Raineer, Crystal, Bachelor, etc.) Bdog, interloper, help me out here, guys.

The lady this morning persuaded me that it's good to have more than just two options. Who woulda thought...???

P.S. Before I start a whole new college thread, I'll say that she also suggested Regis and Pamona. Ski-specific beta on either of those would be pretty cool, too.

Thanks a bunch.
    Days on snow 06-07: 3
    Days behind a boat summer 2006: 24

"Coming here and asking whether you need wider skis is like turning up at the Neverland Ranch and asking Michael if he'd like to come to Tampa with the kids" -bad roo.

*Cough* Utah *Cough*

Look into it at least man. So much cheaper and so much closer to skiing. And there's nothing like persuading your folks to take you on a mid winter trip to "check out the school"

Thumbs up

Stick with CU -- you'll fit right in with all the rich kids in the Republic, aaaaaaaaaaand you'll love the heaps of snow CO gets!
    Balls Deep in the 'Ho

I asked the lady about it, and she said, "Don't go if you're not Mormon."

Your thoughts, Utards?

Oh, she also said that her neice or something was Catholic and tried to get a job there (she lived in Park City and tried to get a job near SLC). When her neice brought the application to the employer, they put the paper in a completely different file room from the one that the Mormon applicants had. Meaning that they probably didn't even consider her. She didn't get the job...

U of U has struck my curiousity more than once though, to be sure. Thanks, gramps.

EDIT: 13, CU doesn't give money to out of state kids. Period. I have a 3.97 or something and a 34 on my ACT, and the lady still said there's no chance. I must broaden my horizons.

Please note that this thread was actually for the WA minions... But all input is still appreciated.

"Coming here and asking whether you need wider skis is like turning up at the Neverland Ranch and asking Michael if he'd like to come to Tampa with the kids" -bad roo.

Fucking Utah Max. Unversity of Utah. Jesus Christ! Are you serious. You think the University of Utah does not have a good med school? WTF Man? For a public institution it's got a top notch med school. Fuck Washington . That place is cold and the snow is only good for about one week a year, granted they get alot but it's concrete man. Con-crete, you can go pick some up at your local home depot and have just as much fun. You know Utah is the Holy Land so STFU and go.
    "It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds."

Max it sucks here don't even think about it!

Edit - what makes you think that we're even gong to let you look at our mountain until you have enough respect to spell it right!
    Last edited by PNWbrit; 07-13-2004 at 10:00 AM.

Max it sucks here don't even think about it!

No fair Phunk I got there first!

He's all yours!

Who is this guidance counselor anyway???? Telling you not to go to Utah because you aren't mormon??????
    UW has a really great pre med program. Seattle U is a good school, smaller but really expensive. Bottom line- the Seattle area is the shit.
    It takes 45 minutes to get to some hairball BC access at Alpental, Crystal is 1.5 hours, Baker is upwards of 3 hours, and Whistler is 5 hours....not mention that it is a 1.5 hours flight to SLC. You can ski nearly all year long out here, and there is soooo much more to do beyond that.
    Tell your parents to send you out here to check it out. Let them know that a group of maggots will be watching over their kids. I am sure that will put them right at ease!
    "You look like you just got schnitzled..."

U Dub is a better school than Utah. The same goes for its medical school. Both are good, but U Dub is a better research med school, while Utah is strong in primary care. Also having a med school in a more diverse city is a major plus...there is a reason Boston has some of the best medical schools in the US.

If you want to go to University of Utah medical school then you best be in state, and mormon. Out of the 1000 or so applicants, 100 or so get accepted, 10-15 of those are out of state. To get into any public out of state medical school is really tough. Also, a lot of times the acceptance rate is lower for students who were enrolled in the undergrad. So going to U Dub for undergrad and automatically getting accepted to the med school is a pipedream.

Max, you really should open up and look at things as whats going to be best for you during college, not after college. Dont look at a school based on how its going to effect your med school application process, because I'm betting now there is a big chance you wont even be applying, even if you now think you will.

Go to the best school you can, and the one that fits you the best.

go hang with cantdog at Colby!

CD, your post is very informative. However, I'm not really thinking about medical school yet. I know I want to go premed, but I don't know where I'll end up. I'm just trying to open up some options.

phunk and PNW, you guys really don't want me that much? Jeez.

I may plan a Thanksgiving trip to U Dub and/or Seattle. I might even drag mommy into letting me make some turns for a day . But that's all still a good ways off.

Right now I'm going to be concerned with National Merit essays and the whole application process.

P.S. I'm concerned that I'll have a tough time at U of U because I'm not Mormon. What the lady made it feel like to me was like an American going into a foreign country where they expect you to be like them. The American can survive, but a lot of times the locals wouldn't make it easy for him. Does this make sense? And, more importantly, does this apply at U of U?

Edit 2: Is there a decent number of non-Mormon maggots/open-minded skiers at U of U to where I wouldn't have to be in the majority group to have a good time?
    Last edited by Max Gosey; 07-13-2004 at 10:16 AM.

Snowbird, alta, solitude, brighton, canyons, deer valley, park city, snowbasin, powder mountain. And you want a good medical school. Ha!
    "It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds."

I don't see Max mentioning med. school anywhere in this thread, fellas.

Edit: Until his 3rd post, that is...

It's pretty obvious that Max wants to go to a school with prestige.

Why out of state, Max? What's wrong with LSU?
    Balls Deep in the 'Ho

Dude are you going for an education, or to ski bum? I would narrow it down to eight or ten schools that have decent skiing nearby, and then pick the school(that u can afford, and will accept u) where you FIT and the curriculae and lifestyle FIT YOU! Kee-rist mon, you will only be 21 or 22 when you graduate, all the time in the world still to pursue the pow..Let the school drive the decision, not the pow..

You have a good point, Dave. But I have been holed up here in the flat hot land too long! College is time for liberation!

But this does not mean that I am totally disregarding prestige. And how I fit in (how the school fits me, whatever) is what I'm trying to figure out about U of U.

I definitely need good grades--hell, great grades!--and some recognition so that I can do what I want to (now mentioned as medicine). This is just the first step (high school doesn't count for shit except as a stepping stone to the first step). I know pretty much where I want to apply, and I realize that it's probably pretty early in the game still to be narrowing down my choices. Just wanted to know if the options the lady mentioned to me were even feasible...

P.S. LSU = 13th grade. Period. Plus, as I have said many times since you guys have known me, it doesn't snow here.

Cool

Max, GirlSki is right on the money!

She forgot to mention one thing though... we have some pretty decent places to water ski in the summer... which I am pretty sure you are into... places like Banks lake, Lake Washington, Hood Canal, Lake Tapps, Sun Lakes, Crescent Bar... the list goes on and on. Just be sure to pack your wetsuit.

Until then good luck with your decision.

Peace
    "You go for it. All the stops are out. Caution is to the wind, and you're battling with everything you have. That's the real fun of the game. "

-Dan Dierdorf American Football Player

Drysuit, don't you mean, squirrel?

Less than 60 is pretty damned cold for us Southerners to be contacting with our skin. My friends still have wetsuits on at like 70ish. Pansies, I think, but whatever.

But I didn't even think about the slalom concept! You, sir. You are quite on track...

P.S. Where do/did you go to school Squirrel.

P.P.S. Not to be judgmental (strictly for demographics purposes), what is your religion, Dingle?

Talking

Naaaaa, just pee in the wetsuit and you're good.

Most places round these here parts dont warm up until July/August... the Canal never warms up (thus the reasoning behind peeing in the wetsuit).

I went to several different places, one for my BA, and another for my Microsoft education (baaaaa!). For my BA I went to good ole Cow Poke U., otherwise known as Central Washington University... just 40 minutes from Alpental. I then attended UW for several computer courses, which put me where I am at today.

Here is another angle for you; while I was at CWU I ski instructed up at Alpental/Ski Acres, only had to work once a week for 4 hours, and paid $50 for a season pass... just something to think about if you attend U'Dub.
    "You go for it. All the stops are out. Caution is to the wind, and you're battling with everything you have. That's the real fun of the game. "

-Dan Dierdorf American Football Player

PNW is great! I agree with Girlski and squirrell.
    The access to many different mountains is easy: Alpental, Crystal, stevens, Baker to name a few.

I graduated from Western Wash in Bellingham (hour or so from Baker) and loved it.

As for summer watersports, I spend at least 3 days a week on either Sammamish or Lake Washington wakeboarding.

YOu get good weather in the summers, mountains and excellent skiing (can you say HUGE snowfall totals each year)

Look into SU, UW or Western WA

U.W. is a lousy place to go as an undergraduate. Seattle University is a second rate school (please pardon me alums). I taught at UW as a grad student and thought the level of education was pretty poor. Youll never get to talk with profs, only grad students. There's PLU and some others around.
    Acces to skiing is OK. Alpental is within an hour, but each of Stevens and Crystal is at least an hour and a half from most locales and up to two hours, depending on location.

Portland calibre of colleges is much better witrh Reed and Lewis and Clark. Reed is a pretty tweedy, seriously academic place with no real rules, fantasic education great drug scene and a ski cabin in Government Camp. Skiing on Hood isn't so great, but it lasts.

Sort out what you want. If you just want to ski, there's Weber in Logan(?) UT and UU where you could flake and ski.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

So, maybe the MDs of the house can jump all over my for this, but I don't think you have to go to a "first rate" (aka CU, UW) school for undergrad. If you go somewhere decent and kick it's ass (and still have ski time) then you'll be in just as good a position for applying to med school.

A lot of "first rate" med schools don't take anyone (or hardly anyone) from their own undergrad programs. It's sort of a way to make people broaden themselves.

Also, on the Seattle side of things, that 45 minute commute to Alpental can be like an eternity if you don't have a car...

I don't know jack about Washington (I haven't even been there), but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express in Pomona once.

Actually, I went to Harvey Mudd, which is part of the Claremont Colleges (as is Pomona). Pomona is a pretty good school and does produce a lot of Pre-Meds. If you're actually interested in science (as opposed to taking pre-med so you can be a doctor just like your daddy), Harvey Mudd is also a good choice. However you will end up working a lot harder there. Coming from Louisiana, will probably give you an edge at Pomona since they want to have a diverse student body and they tend to get a lot of students from big cities on either coast (Mudd doesn't really care about diversity, so your hometown won't help you there). Pomona students are generally very liberal and somewhat politcally active. A lot of them come from upper-middle class families in the suburbs of the major coastal cities (LA, San Fransisco, NY, Boston, etc), so don't be surprised to see a lot of BMWs and Mercedes in the student parking lot. Pomona is one of the highest ranked liberal arts schools in the country though, so if you do manage to get in, I would give it some serious thought.

OK, on to what you really care about, the skiing. From Claremont, you can get to Mammoth in just under 5 hours if there's no traffic. Mammoth is a great mountain, with plenty of interesting terrain and lots of snow. Plus season passes are relatively cheap if you buy them early ($425 this year). The local skiing is a lot closer (1 hr 20 minutes to the Big Bear resorts, 50 minutes to Mountain High, and 20 minutes to Mt Baldy), but snowfall is a lot less predictable. The Big Bear areas and Mountain High both rely heavily on snowmaking, but are usually open from Thanksgiving through mid-April. If there's not much natural snow, the local resorts are great if you're into park skiing, otherwise there's not much there. With enough snow, Bear Mtn has some truly great tree skiing (I'd put it up against most East coast resorts), and Baldy has some amazing terrain. None of the skiing is accessible by public transportation though, and you're not going to find too many people who understand your addiction, so to really ski a lot, you're going to need a car.

I just finished up at Pacific Lutheran in Tacoma (just south of Seattle). Both Crystal and Alpental are a little over an hour away. PLU, and most other smaller schools like it, are known for getting their students into graduate programs. Tuition is not cheap, but they give lots of schlorships. If your interested you can email outdoor@plu.edu for more info about skiing in the area. I was a guide for Outdoor Rec at PLU, and they do lots of great trips. They might not respond this time of year, but email them in September and they would love to give you more advice.
    Support your local lurker!

I don't want to sound like a dick... but you have to be realistic about your pre-med choice as well Max. Don't choose your school simply because the pre-med program is good.

Think about what else you might want to do and whether or not the school you're thinking about attending has a decent program in that.

If I had a nickle for every smart and determined kid I knew in college that washed out of pre-med... I'd be skiing everyday rather than working.

Of the kids that do actually survive the pre-med program, it becomes even harder to actually get into medical school.

I'm not saying you can't do it Max. I'm simply saying have a back-up plan... and consider that back-up plan into your school choice.