Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: HD Camcorder

Next one I found for cheapish:
    JVC Everio GZ-HD7
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    I should have jumped on that one from the other forum....

I would like HD, but from what I have read those SDs are probably better for the $ right now.
    Resolution was never a concern I had. If you really want to get all nerdy, check this out.

http://www.dvxuser.com/articles/colorspace/

The dvx samples colors in a way that actually gives it better resolution than a lot of cams that claim to be HD. Plus most of the smaller HD cams upsample from a tiny chip....again loss of resolution.

I got a new camera for two main reasons. Variable and programmable frame rates (for timelapse and slowmo...which you can still do with the dvx), and solid state recording medium. I would have bought the camera I'm replacing the dvx with even if it were standard def.

The dvx really is a better camera than ANY sub 3k 'HD' camera, and better than a lot of them above that price.

But anyway. I can show you some things I shot with it. I have it for sale. Think about it.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

PM sent....

school this guy
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Resolution was never a concern I had. If you really want to get all nerdy, check this out.

http://www.dvxuser.com/articles/colorspace/

The dvx samples colors in a way that actually gives it better resolution than a lot of cams that claim to be HD. Plus most of the smaller HD cams upsample from a tiny chip....again loss of resolution.

I got a new camera for two main reasons. Variable and programmable frame rates (for timelapse and slowmo...which you can still do with the dvx), and solid state recording medium. I would have bought the camera I'm replacing the dvx with even if it were standard def.

The dvx really is a better camera than ANY sub 3k 'HD' camera, and better than a lot of them above that price.

But anyway. I can show you some things I shot with it. I have it for sale. Think about it.

Another point is that if you want to watch the footage off the DVX in HD, most dvd players with high quality upscalers will do a better job of presenting the video in HD than a sub $5k HD camera. Even the HVX200 is competitive with a $2000 SD cam and $500 DVD player. I like to steer people towards REON HQV video processing and the Toshiba HD-A35 (HDDVD) player has one plus some pretty amazing audio processors. It will bring new life to your video for clearance prices on Ebay.

The camera just has to handle your motion, light, and editing situation like you have read for the last 5 pages. Think heavily about audio too. That is lost on most projects and gives the project the campy or student feel. Get a good mic and forget about surround sound. If you are using Final Cut Studio or something, you can remix it later. 2 channel with higher bitrate and sample frequency is where it is at. Make sure you use a mic appropriate for your shooting style.

I have an old Sony DCR-950 3ccd. I have used it for many years now. I want be able to shoot in HD but do not have more than $1k to spend. Would the TM-300 be enough of a difference? What other ideas and cameras would you recommend?
    Last edited by molson14; 12-17-2009 at 05:27 PM.

what is the collective's opinion on this?

Vixia HF S10

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-camc...-33483227.html

Tipp, Kidwoo?

I know the CMOS vs. CCD debate, but looking at some of the online videos for this, woah...
    "...but I come from no country, from no city, no tribe. I am the son of the road, my country is the caravan, my life the most unexpected of voyages".-Leo Africanus

I a agree, the Canon S10 looks like a great camera. I am not sure if I could buy a camera without a viewfinder though. Seems weird to shoot without. This is the only reason I was looking at the Panasonic TM300 instead.

No idea about that camera. This is the smallest thing I'm shooting with these days:

http://gizmodo.com/379295/panasonic-...te-hd-handheld

For $5,000 its a great camera. Anyone have advice on something in the $1,000 arena? Would like to get something to replace my sony DCR 950 ccd.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    No idea about that camera. This is the smallest thing I'm shooting with these days:
    Welcome to the cult beyotch

Kids are alright: I have no idea. Things like vixia models pop up every five minutes. I was so disappointed with the HV30 I bought from canon, I'm going to have to get a blow job and $500 from canon to ever buy one of their cmos cameras again. For all my whining about the cmos systems, I can say with a clear conscience that I think canon's are the worst of the bunch. If you buy one, never take it off of a tripod.

A buddy of mine asked me about sub 1k camcorders not too long ago. I looked around on B&H and literally nothing looked like a good camera to me these days. If you do buy an AVCHD camera just make sure you've got an editing program that can deal with it.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

cool thanks kidwoo. You still have the panny hd-9?
    "...but I come from no country, from no city, no tribe. I am the son of the road, my country is the caravan, my life the most unexpected of voyages".-Leo Africanus

Welcome to the cult beyotch
    Heh, almost. My main shooter is still this one:

Quote Originally Posted by The Kids Are Alright View Post
    cool thanks kidwoo. You still have the panny hd-9?
    Yup. Still happy with it too. Kind of a shame panasonic scrapped it. If I break mine, I'm going to be looking for a used one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Heh, almost. My main shooter is still this one:

Sure......Rub it in.

If you ever ditch any p2 cards let me know. I needs some more storage.

^^ yeah I think Im about to pull the trigger on a used one. Since I wont be using a tripod all that much, doesnt really make sense. Any ways to reduce or correct the light smears that you've found?

^^ yeah I think Im about to pull the trigger on a used one. Since I wont be using a tripod all that much, doesnt really make sense. Any ways to reduce or correct the light smears that you've found?
    That really only happens with artificial light in darker enviroments. It's not something you ever see shooting in daylight. I've only seen it once when I went go carting. Flourescent light in a kind of dark warehouse.

And I've never seen it on my dvx or hpx bigger cameras.

cool, the more I see from this camera, the more I really like. While I would like something more high end, budget dictates everything and a camera is better than none at all

cool, the more I see from this camera, the more I really like. While I would like something more high end, budget dictates everything and a camera is better than none at all
    You're probably going to be shooting skiing right?

Shoot a pm to upallnight. He got one last year. See what he thinks after a good span of time using it.

I plan on using mine for some pov shorties this winter. From everything I've gotten out of it biking, it should look pretty good. Just remember as with all video cameras, the more light the better. Sunny days will give the best results.

In the <$1k market club. Considering the [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-HDC-HS9-Definition-Camcorder-Stabilized/dp/B0011G0Q10/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1267043482&sr=1-1"]Panasonic HDC-HS9.[/ame] Any thoughts on this guy? Looking to avoid CMOS and touchscreen per this thread's advice. Looks like the successor to the SD9.

Quote Originally Posted by murph View Post
    In the <$1k market club. Considering the Panasonic HDC-HS9. Any thoughts on this guy? Looking to avoid CMOS and touchscreen per this thread's advice. Looks like the successor to the SD9.
    This is a little odd

Progressive 1080/25p
    25p is a PAL/european standard. I'd make sure you're getting a US/ntsc camera. It may be just a misprint from the PAL version but I'd make sure.

I've never owned one but hard drives just don't seem like a good idea for a camera that you're going to be moving around a lot.

Other than that it seems pretty solid. The sensor is kind of small though (1/6", same as my SD9). Not a big deal for outdoors but it will get messy inside or in low light. I just looked that camera up on B&H and couldn't find it. Is that an older model?

Hm online reviews go back to at least '08, so a couple years old.

[ame="http://vimeo.com/9742639"]Snowstorm 2.25.2010 on Vimeo[/ame]

suprised what came out of the two camera: gopro hd and panasonic dmc-fz8. overcast day. please comment and critique.

Quote Originally Posted by aepeak View Post
    please comment and critique.
    Pay attention to where your feet are when you pan on a tripod

Pay attention to where your feet are when you pan on a tripod
    yeah i realized i kicked the tripod. thank you.

Anyone recommend an HD camcorder? Many suggestions in this thread but I am assuming that there may be something newer on the market I should be looking for.

They're all the same. Just buy one.