Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: HD Camcorder

I have a lot of tz5 sample video. For web applications I think it actually does surprisingly well. I'm switching servers and can't upload anything, but I have this remnant online:

You can switch to HD to get a better idea of what it looks like. I may have lost a little bit of detail when I was editing. I don't know anything about video.

Quote Originally Posted by Damian Sanders View Post
    From what I gather, the ZS3 uses a CCD, the video looks good so far but I haven't shot any action with it.

I saw a car mount driving video posted that looked fine....
    Looks like you're right.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...specifications

Nice find
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

It's weird, now that I'm looking through for ccd cameras, seems most (like huge majority right now) are cmos.. I'll see if I can compile a list.

edit:
    Not going to go through the hassle, but the big cameras and a few randoms are ccd.
    Last edited by grskier; 10-04-2009 at 04:56 PM.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Saw this thread again and thought I'd share my experiences. I've been very happy with the Sony; it fit my expected use exactly as I would have hoped.

I upgraded my computer for editing by getting a Puget built i7 processor machine with 6g of RAM which can easily be upgraded to 12 if need be...can't remember the motherboard right now. Also upgrade to Vegas Pro9.

Despite spending more than double the cam cost on these tools I'm still happy I didn't go after a more expensive camera to start.

Here's the first half of a fishing movie made using the Sony, mostly on a tripod, and a POV1.5:

...And the greatest ice must crumble when it's flower's time to grow.

Quote Originally Posted by cmor View Post
    I have a lot of tz5 sample video. For web applications I think it actually does surprisingly well. I'm switching servers and can't upload anything, but I have this remnant online:

You can switch to HD to get a better idea of what it looks like. I may have lost a little bit of detail when I was editing. I don't know anything about video.
    Whisky Tango Foxtrot?

High-Definition Digital Camcorder (Flash/HDD)

Which Camcorder?
    -I would be using the camcorder to film skiing, and my Eagle Scout Court of Honor (remotely low-light), as well as, random trip reports, and videos about the ocean environment for school.
    -Price: less than $750/$800, ideally $500/$600
    -Manufacturer: Canon, Panasonic, Samsung, Sony
    -Optical Sensor: cant decide between CCD/CMOS; 1 or 3; primarily action videos so CMOS would be better, right? however, will skew and wobble distort any of my videos.
    -Optical Zoom: 12x or more
    -Auto & basic Manual Controls
    -OIS
    -AVCHD/HDV; i dont know, all i know is that i can handle either with my mac pro
    -preferably progressive, not interlaced

any suggestions. my research has me looking at the
    -pan. hdc-tm20, hdc-sd20

I'm looking for a camera too and was looking for advice. I would like to spend around 700-800 but looking at the tests (camcorderinfo) it seems like the better models produce much better results

In looking at their ratings it seems like the Pany HDC-TM300 has a good combo of performance vs price but is still pricey @$1100US. I have also heard that the Pany's have proprietary batteries with chips in them so you can't use any aftermarket ones. True?

Other suspects would be Canon HFS100 and Sony HDR-XR500V

But... Can I get something for less that has nearly the same results?? I'll be using it for skiing and taking videos of the kids.

Also - where is the best place to buy in Canada - I assume I can get something cheaper online than future shop. And if the price was good enough I would buy from an American online retailer...
    Last edited by gorgeskier; 10-05-2009 at 11:12 PM. Reason: added

Quote Originally Posted by gorgeskier View Post
    I'm looking for a camera too and was looking for advice. I would like to spend around 700-800 but looking at the tests (camcorderinfo) it seems like the better models produce much better results

In looking at their ratings it seems like the Pany HDC-TM300 has a good combo of performance vs price but is still pricey @$1100US. I have also heard that the Pany's have proprietary batteries with chips in them so you can't use any aftermarket ones. True?

Other suspects would be Canon HFS100 and Sony HDR-XR500V

But... Can I get something for less that has nearly the same results?? I'll be using it for skiing and taking videos of the kids.

Also - where is the best place to buy in Canada - I assume I can get something cheaper online than future shop. And if the price was good enough I would buy from an American online retailer...
    You can get this for better results.

[ame="http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=185666"]FS: DVX100b $800 - DVXuser.com -- The online community for filmmaking[/ame]
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Woh, that seems like a steal...
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.

I'd be a bit concerned about buying a $2500 camera for $800, but this would be a great buy (or something similar). But what you are saying is that SD camera is better than most HD cameras in the same price range (or even 20% more)....
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

Quoting John Candy in The Great Outdoors "that's too much boat"

I'm a geek but not that much of one to run a camera with that many manual features (mind you I run my DSLR in manual but that's another ball of wax).

Never mind the fact that I can't stuff that in my back pack when I climb up the mountain (or at least have anything else in there when I do.)

I know the consumer versions don't have nearly the same glass but...

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    But what you are saying is that SD camera is better than most HD cameras in the same price range (or even 20% more)....
    Oh god yes. All of the sub 1K 'HD' cameras use tiny little sensors. There are more pixels in the output file but most of them in my opinion pale in comparison to even a good SD camera like that DVX100.

I'm a geek but not that much of one to run a camera with that many manual features (mind you I run my DSLR in manual but that's another ball of wax).
    It's actually not that different. But I hear ya. I just remembered that ad and figured I'd throw it out there. FWIW, I've carried that camera with me on all day bc skiing adventures. I'm not going to lie and say it's not annoying. But the final product.........yeah, never regret it.

So no responses on what I should put my range at 500/700/900/1200? The sony 500 has the glass of the 520 with a 120gb hard drive (compared to the 240) and comes in at $1200??. Is it a linear, parabolic or logrithmic curve -performance vsrice - I would assume logrithmic but what do I know??

Any good forums that you can recommend?

...And the greatest ice must crumble when it's flower's time to grow.

Quote Originally Posted by aepeak View Post
    Which Camcorder?
    -I would be using the camcorder to film skiing, and my Eagle Scout Court of Honor (remotely low-light), as well as, random trip reports, and videos about the ocean environment for school.
    -Price: less than $750/$800, ideally $500/$600
    -Manufacturer: Canon, Panasonic, Samsung, Sony
    -Optical Sensor: cant decide between CCD/CMOS; 1 or 3; primarily action videos so CMOS would be better, right? however, will skew and wobble distort any of my videos.
    -Optical Zoom: 12x or more
    -Auto & basic Manual Controls
    -OIS
    -AVCHD/HDV; i dont know, all i know is that i can handle either with my mac pro
    -preferably progressive, not interlaced

any suggestions. my research has me looking at the
    -pan. hdc-tm20, hdc-sd20
    bump for response

sorry for the double post, but:

is the panny hdc-hs250k a good camera and is it worth it for 699 at bestbuy.
    is the panny hdc-sd9 a good camera for 3ccd

2 questions - advice on the panny tm300? It seems to get pretty good reviews everywhere but here (reading between the lines the resident experts, Kidwoo and Tippster, wouldn't buy it. Mostly because it is a 3mos camera?

Next question - would you buy it from here - http://cgi.ebay.com/Panasonic-HDC-TM...ht_6193wt_1332

Seems very cheap. I worry about duties into Canada. From what I have read EMS should be fine for low brokerage fees. There is also the concern of warantee - it says it has manufacturers but if I took it into somewhere in Canada I doubt I could get it fixed.

Can someone with some experience or opinions chime in here?

Thanks

2 questions - advice on the panny tm300? It seems to get pretty good reviews everywhere but here (reading between the lines the resident experts, Kidwoo and Tippster, wouldn't buy it. Mostly because it is a 3mos camera?
    Just read the C-net review, and the only worry I'd have for shooting in cold and we conditions is the touchscreen...
    Primary operation occurs through the touch-screen menus, which fly out from a small icon in the lower-left corner. In auto mode, there's spot AE and AF, backlight compensation, intelligent contrast, fade, soft skin mode, telemacro, and MagicPix night mode. In manual mode, you select via a scrolling menu on the left.
    LCD screens are notoriously finicky in the cold. Otherwise it sounds like a pretty sweet home movie camera.

Next question - would you buy it from here - http://cgi.ebay.com/Panasonic-HDC-TM...ht_6193wt_1332

Seems very cheap. I worry about duties into Canada. From what I have read EMS should be fine for low brokerage fees. There is also the concern of warantee - it says it has manufacturers but if I took it into somewhere in Canada I doubt I could get it fixed.

Can someone with some experience or opinions chime in here?

Thanks
    I am not that person. Seems to me you'd be better off buying it from Amazon Canada or the like.

Any thoughts on this camcorder?

JVC GR HD1US Camcorder
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

Any thoughts on this camcorder?

JVC GR HD1US Camcorder
    That thing is nearly 7 years old! You find one lying around somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    That thing is nearly 7 years old! You find one lying around somewhere?
    Low hours for less than 1k.... still has 1/3" CCD though... just wondering
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

It only has a single chip, too. I asked our engineer and he said that the current crop of 3 chip cameras, even consumer handycams, have a better picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    It only has a single chip, too. I asked our engineer and he said that the current crop of 3 chip cameras, even consumer handycams, have a better picture.
    That is exactly what I was wondering...

After Kidwoo's ranting on the cmos sensors, for shooting skiing I want to get something with CCD... not much out there right now.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

That is exactly what I was wondering...

After Kidwoo's ranting on the cmos sensors, for shooting skiing I want to get something with CCD... not much out there right now.
    Wanna buy my DVX100b?

About the same size as that JVC.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Wanna buy my DVX100b?

About the same size as that JVC.
    I should have jumped on that one from the other forum....

I would like HD, but from what I have read those SDs are probably better for the $ right now.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com