Boat Opinions: JK Fun (06) vs Wavesport EZG50 vs I3:222 vs. Kingpin 6.2

Thinking of taking the plunge and picking up a boat this winter. Tired of renting and finally got permission from the boss to get a boat.

Looking around i found these 4 boats that would fit me

JK Fun - 06 but has the sweet feet and cheeks
    WS EZG50- was marked demo
    Pyranha I3:222
    Kingpin 6.2

Me: 5'8, 140ish sans gear.

I am looking for an all around boat that is stable but can play my way down the river

I know i have definitely paddled the newer fun and really liked it, but the 06 was the last year for the old hull.

Heard good things about the ezg50 design but not so much the plastic

I also really like the PYR seven-O which i think is based off the I3

I know the kingpin is a playboat but it has a pretty good reputation for rier running

I think right now, i am between the Fun and EZG50 but am looking for some opinions. both boats are in similar conditions.

Don't think you can go wrong with either the Fun or the EZG. The newer Funs definitely perform better than the older ones though. EZGs are nice boats as well, but WS does have some of the softer plastic in the business.

Not sure how much you're looking to spend, but I've got a demo Agent 6.2 at the shop (great downriver playboat) for $545 shipped. Follow the link below if you're interrested

I've never been a fan of the older Funs. I have found them to be more difficult to play with compared to your other choices. That could be because a) I'm not that great at cartwheels yet, and b) I have weak girly-arms. Probably a decent river runner though. I do like the EZG and the Pyranha seven-0 (haven't tried the I3 though). Actually I had the seven-0 out this weekend and it was a great time. No experience with the Kingpin, but have heard good things about it.

Storm's deal for the Agent 6.2 doesn't sound too bad actually.

Yo, Im 5'9" and 145

I've had the Kingpin 6.2 for three years. Its a killer Playboat, easy to through around and super slicey. It does well in waves and holes. I've also done lots of downriver in that boat. Paddled the zambeizi, the white nile, the lochsa and tons of other IV+ rivers in that boat. As long as you have good egde control you'll do fine. The boat is durable too. I've paddled 200 ish days in it and the only thing to break is the elastic that holds the backstrap to the rear of the cockpit. (unimportant piece of outfitting) The downsides of the boat is that its a little (not much) slower than new models of playboats like the project and the rad. It also could use a little more volume for going big on loops, but this is offset by an overthruster.

To sum it all up, Im your size and I love the kingpin

Get the Kingpin -- it's comfortable for river running (and not too edgy, compared to a LL boat) and if you feel like messing around on a wave it does that too. And its "slower" nature can be a good thing, like when you go down the Ottawa for the first time, Garburator is too fast for all of your partners to catch, and you end up backsurfing down it without even trying...

I hate getting into fights about boats, especially on the internet where I can't see how well somebody paddles, but I can throw a little beta on the I3 your way:

I'm exactly your height and weight, and I have size 9 feet. I own an I3-221. I picked it up for $250 a few years ago, mainly for the Gauley season. It's a completely different type of playboat than a Jackson Fun or a Kingpin. It's much longer, much faster, and not a spud boat. You'll be able to catch faster waves in it, and I guess it would be decent to learn to cartwheel in. You'll need good technique to throw it down in flat water, but it's possible.

The I:3 is a river runner---not a full on current playboat. It'll surf fast waves, spin in a hole nicely, cartwheel, and do all the other early 2000's play moves, but it's not gonna loop or do any airborne tricks.

The seven-o is a lot like the I:3, but it's shorter, and has a slightly more spud-boat shape. I think that either one would be really good first boats. They're both comfy, relatively easy to roll, and will allow you to progress for a while.

Personally, I'd go with the Pyranha's....

I think you r wrong

i ended up getting the Fun, since it was in awesome condition and i got it for 350. it took me a while to get everything dialed in. I love the boat, but i think if i could choose between the seven-O and a classic fun, i would pick the seven-0 now between the new fun and the seven-o i don't know.