Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WTT: My MINTY Salomon Rockers for Your Specialty Pow Skis

don't ask me how this happened, but somehow the maggot collective almost let a MINTY pair of salomon rockers slip through the cracks on ebay. luckily, i was there to pull the trigger on these at the last minute. i have yet to recieve the skis, but the seller has a good feedback history (52 transactions and 100% positive feedback), and the exact description for the skis is below:

This is the 07/08 model. Unchanged for the 08/09 season, except graphics. Used last season, and only in powder conditions. No major scratches or dings, top sheet has normal use, a few light scratches, and base is almost perfect, again very minor scratches. Has been mounted, and bindings taken off.

Lengths: 192cm
    Dimensions: 147 / 127 / 137
    Turn Radius: 48.5m
    Top Sheet: Double-wall Monocoque Spaceframe
    Core Material: Full wood
    Base: UMWH graphite
    Tail: Flat with removable swallow tail
    Binding Included: No

now, to be perfectly honest, i am very interested in these skis myself, and may just end up keeping them. but i figured that i would see what skis you guys might offer up for trades first, because i am still not completely sure about which ski i want for the powder-specialty slot in my quiver.

here's what i'm looking for: a powder-specialty ski to compliment my 187 dynastar xxl's. i ski mostly in california and utah, but i try to get around the west as much as possible. of course, new skis are always ideal, but any used skis in minty shape will be considered. if they have been mounted, please indicate how many times, with what type of bindings, for what bsl, and where the bindings were mounted relative to the line. used skis with bindings or additional cash will be considered when balancing out the terms of the trade.

the skis have not shipped yet, and i have instructed the seller not to ship until he contacts me first. if you are a reputable mag, i will probably just have the skis shipped directly to you (to save on multiple shippings), and then you can ship your skis to me at your earliest convenience. my gearswap credentials include positive transactions (as both a buyer and a seller) with: silencer, dobish, squatch, alive, nfp158, and givebackbloom. hopefully they will all be more than happy to vouch for me (and i have saved all my gearswap pm's with all of them).
    Last edited by lukc; 10-11-2008 at 09:48 PM.

So what exactly are you looking for???
    Support your local lurker!

Quote Originally Posted by Julio View Post
    So what exactly are you looking for???
    here's what i'm looking for: a powder-specialty ski to compliment my 187 dynastar xxl's. i ski mostly in california and utah, but i try to get around the west as much as possible. of course, new skis are always ideal, but any used skis in minty shape will be considered. if they have been mounted, please indicate how many times, with what type of bindings, for what bsl, and where the bindings were mounted relative to the line. used skis with bindings or additional cash will be considered when balancing out the terms of the trade.

maybe you are just dislexic

how much did you pay?
    I french kissed Kelly Kapowski.

Thanks Smuggs...good one. I thought "lukc" might have a little better luck getting what he wants if he asked for something a little more specific. Whatever.
    Support your local lurker!

Quote Originally Posted by spthomson View Post
    how much did you pay?
    Something tells me $349 (like searching completed listings on eBay)

Lukc - Keep 'em and ski 'em. Rockers reward someone who has strong technique and like big hills and wide open spaces. If you are accustomed to skiing XXL's, this is the type of pow ski you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    Something tells me $349 (like searching completed listings on eBay)

Lukc - Keep 'em and ski 'em. Rockers reward someone who has strong technique and like big hills and wide open spaces. If you are accustomed to skiing XXL's, this is the type of pow ski you want.
    bingo. and your reasons for keeping them are pretty much why i was interested in these skis in the first place. but when there is no snow around, i tend to start over-thinking things... there is a decent chance that i will end up keeping these skis. but since the season is still a ways off, i figured that there is no harm in seeing what my options are.
    Last edited by lukc; 10-12-2008 at 01:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Julio View Post
    Thanks Smuggs...good one. I thought "lukc" might have a little better luck getting what he wants if he asked for something a little more specific. Whatever.
    see... that's the thing. i'm not even sure yet. most of the skis that pique my interest as much as the rockers are only being released for this upcoming season... other skis that i am curious about:

-4frnt ehp's
    -bd megawatts
    -rossi s7's
    -volkl kuros
    -pm gear l'hasa pows
    -moment comi-kazis

basically, i want a ski with even more float and maneuveability in soft snow than the xxl's, but subject to the constraints of decent crud-busting and groomer performance, as the hill gets more tracked out. the only criteria where i wonder about the salomon rocker is maneuverability. i know that it skis short due to tip rocker, but i found the benchmark maneuverability of the xxl's to be pretty high to begin with. and there is no getting around the battleship design of the rocker. i know a few (bandit man and altasnowbirdripper... any others?) have skied both the xxl and rocker, so hopefully they can chime in. i like having a pair of skis to bomb the ever-loving-crap out of big, open faces, but i want my pow-specific skis to COMPLIMENT my xxl's, not necessarily mimic them. ideally, i'd like a ski that CAN still haul ass, but that doesn't HAVE to ALL the time (i.e., plane up at lower speeds and maneuver through tight trees)
    Last edited by lukc; 10-12-2008 at 09:58 PM.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    I'd be happy to trade you one my carbon fiber Lhasa pows

and if you find another good $350 dollar score I'll trade ya the other one
    pm Iceman if ya need a voucher
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    I'd be happy to trade you one my carbon fiber Lhasa pows... and if you find another good $350 dollar score I'll trade ya the other one
    ooooh BURN! hahaha... but seriously... don't mess with my emotions.

i actually demoed some of the brocker protos, but it was a spring conditions day, and i couldn't really get a feel for them...

Check your PM's

Quote Originally Posted by FigureEleven View Post
    Check your PM's
    PM's replied

Quote Originally Posted by lukc View Post
    i'd like a ski that CAN still haul ass, but that doesn't HAVE to ALL the time (i.e., plane up at lower speeds and maneuver through tight trees)
    Well, now that is the holy grail now isn't it?! For UT quality snow, I'd say that a ski like a Pontoon (actually owned those), S7, or Megawatt (never been on either) will do that. In heavier Sierra conditions, though, I have a tough time seeing where that ski exists. Praxis Powders come close, but are not everyone's cup of tea.

Good luck and let me know when you find that perfect rockered/reverse ski. I still think that it doesn't eixst, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    Well, now that is the holy grail now isn't it?! For UT quality snow, I'd say that a ski like a Pontoon (actually owned those), S7, or Megawatt (never been on either) will do that. In heavier Sierra conditions, though, I have a tough time seeing where that ski exists. Praxis Powders come close, but are not everyone's cup of tea.

Good luck and let me know when you find that perfect rockered/reverse ski. I still think that it doesn't eixst, though.
    yeah... the seller just contacted me and will be shipping them to my apartment tomorrow, so i will finally be able to check these out in person. i'd imagine that the rockers are pretty close to what i want, in that i just want a NOTICEABLE increase in float and maneuverability over the xxl in soft snow. i realize that you can't get something for nothing and that there or no free lunches, so hopefully the rocker turns out to be my ideal compromise.

Not really powder specific but how about 07 Line Prophet 130's, mounted once for Salomon bindings.
    Driving to Targhee

Quote Originally Posted by cooltsi View Post
    Not really powder specific but how about 07 Line Prophet 130's, mounted once for Salomon bindings.
    sorry, but for my powder-specialty ski, i really want to finally get on the rocker bandwagon. i really wasn't even looking to get a powder-specialty ski just yet, but the deal on the rockers was just too good to pass up.

KEEP, TRADE, OR SELL?

i've been spending way too much time reading up on all the various skis that i am interested in (largely to avoid studying for gross anatomy...), and i am starting to formulate three main options:

1) keep the skis and just appreciate the killer steal, even though i had no intention of getting another set of skis, yet

2) hold on to the skis until there are more of the other skis that i am interested in on the market, and then try to wheel-and-deal a trade later on (although the thought of rockers going that long unmounted and unskied might anger the ski gods...)

3) sell the skis to pay for a pair of fat skis for my lady.

i hesitate to go with this last option, since i've seen re-selling skis for a profit garner a decent amount of backlash on these forums before. quite frankly, i am not trying to disturb the status quo, but having gotten my degree in economics, i am all for letting the free market decide in the end. in the past, i have passed along the bro-deal with no profit (and even a small loss) to myself; jumping on a deal that was too good to be true and then flipping the skis here on gearswap at no increase. but at the same time, i feel as though unless you are willing to give me that "thing that i always ask for, but that you always say no to... you know, because it's my birthday, baby!" what is mine is NOT necessarily yours. and that includes a sweet deal on a pair of skis (skis that somehow managed to slip through well below the free market equilibrium price).

anyways, i'm all about full disclosure, so as stated before, i got the skis for $380 shipped, and am hoping that the market might clear somewhere near $500+shipping for these skis. that is right around the recommended 50% of retail price ($900 -> $450), -10% for being a year old (-$45), -10% for being mounted once (-$45), and +30% for being rare/high-end demand (+$135). at that price, i could just outright pay for the new sticks that i am considering for my lady.

remember, gearswap: I AM ASKING YOUR OPINION HERE! if the consensus is that this is not in the spirit of gearswap, then i will not go through with it, as i am not looking to piss any maggots off. however, if an established mag is more than willing to go through with the transaction, then who am i to tell him that he can't give me his money? i have not made up my mind between the three options, yet, but i figure that you can never know until you ask.
    Last edited by lukc; 10-12-2008 at 10:42 PM.

Even though it's not technically the exact right word - karma is the deal here man. I know you *could* dish them for a profit - but - If you don't want to pass on the deals, take it to ebay... it's that simple. That is universally known as the "free market".

If you don't want 'em, just pass on the deal and someone else will make good use. I do like your trade idea though, but I think you think you are sitting on $500 of trading power and that just isn't correct.

In any case, good score on the Rockers, why don't you try them out - then you'll know!

edit: here's my concern ..."used skis with bindings or additional cash will be considered when balancing out the terms of the trade."... are you looking for new skis in trade for your used skis??? That usually doesn't work, but like you said - if someone is into it, then why not!?!

But I'd say in general that whatever it means to be a "mag" means that you'd pass along a deal, not profit - but yes, that's certainly up for your interpretation!
    Last edited by jfost; 10-12-2008 at 11:49 PM.

Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    Quote Originally Posted by lukc View Post

remember, gearswap: I AM ASKING YOUR OPINION HERE!
    Since you asked, you sound an indecisive idiot who needs others to think for him.

Quote Originally Posted by jfost View Post
    Even though it's not technically the exact right word - karma is the deal here man. I know you *could* dish them for a profit - but - If you don't want to pass on the deals, take it to ebay... it's that simple. That is universally known as the "free market"... But I'd say in general that whatever it means to be a "mag" means that you'd pass along a deal, not profit - but yes, that's certainly up for your interpretation.
    Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    -If you score something for cheap, and need to sell it at a markup, go for it, but be upfront about it, becasue someone somewhere knows what you paid and will call you out about it and make you look like an ass otherwise.
    this is from the stickied thread at the top of this forum. instinctively, i feel as though i've been given the green light. but i just wanted to double check, because i HAVE seen backlash in here before when re-selling for a profit... but that was almost always due to incomplete disclosure

Quote Originally Posted by jfost View Post
    I do like your trade idea though, but I think you think you are sitting on $500 of trading power and that just isn't correct

edit: here's my concern ..."used skis with bindings or additional cash will be considered when balancing out the terms of the trade."... are you looking for new skis in trade for your used skis??? That usually doesn't work, but like you said - if someone is into it, then why not!?!
    what i meant by that quoted portion is that MY used skis have no bindings. but if YOUR used skis are still mounted with bindings or if there is a LARGELY disparate amount of value between the two skis, then additional cash will just grease the wheels of the trade. if someone has some new skis or skis that are deemed more valuable than mine, then iii will be the one offering the cash. i'm not assuming anything about the specific terms of the trade until there is a real, concrete offer, though. that is all
    Last edited by lukc; 10-13-2008 at 12:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    Since you asked, you sound an indecisive idiot who needs others to think for him.
    shows ME for trying to play the poltics game...

I think we've been down this road before many times, especially with all the fools that cry robbery about the people selling used praxis purchased in the pre-sale last year for anything near the pre-sale price...which was still way less than current pricing...

bottom line, they're your skis, you can do whatever the hell you want with them.
    I french kissed Kelly Kapowski.

These skis freakin RIP! They ski fairly nimble for being at 192 and so wide - they have that sweet Salomon lively yet damp feel and are a blast in anything fresh! The camber under foot is enough to get you back down the groomers if you are inbounds. I'd say with the rocker they feel like a 188ish size ski. They don't have the top end as my 194 XXL's or as secure as them on groomed/firm snow but wow they rock in anything soft!
    "If you are prepared for zombies, you are prepared for anything"

De Oppresso Liber

Quote Originally Posted by altasnowbirdripper View Post
    These skis freakin RIP! They ski fairly nimble for being at 192 and so wide - they have that sweet Salomon lively yet damp feel and are a blast in anything fresh! The camber under foot is enough to get you back down the groomers if you are inbounds. I'd say with the rocker they feel like a 188ish size ski. They don't have the top end as my 194 XXL's or as secure as them on groomed/firm snow but wow they rock in anything soft!
    thanks ASBR, i'll shoot you a pm back in a bit

lukc,

I'm mounting my pair of pRaXis Hybrids with tele bindings when I get them. If I end up not liking them, I'd probably be looking to trade them for a TRO ski like the Rocker (or Megawatts, or P. Big Mtns., or something like that). Of course, I probably won't know if I like them until January.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.