Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtVandalay View Post
    Skied both 179 and 189 quite a few times....always take them out from my buddies ski shop so I assume they were both mounted at recommended (I think that is +3 from traditional, but dont hold me to it) for the demo crowd. The 179s at recommended do not have nearly enough tip so would do well from mounting back from there....either traditional or behind (-1 feels right). The 189s were fine at recommended but I would probably go with BigSeekers reco if I bought them.

dont ski switch
    5'11''
    Hey there's someone else with the same handle. Might wanna think about changing it....

It would seem K2 is doing themselves a disservice by their progressive mounting system/notation. I think that it may start to hurt the sales of the most popular products because no one seems to be able a setting that works. Too bad. I've come close on more than one occasion to buying the ObSethed, but I don't want to play the remount game and I haven't been able to get on any demos. I really liked my 179 Seths and I wanted some new 189s. I guess I'm going to get something else that the company who produces it is working with me and not against me... I really wanted these too.
    TELL YOUR BOOBS TO QUIT STARING AT MY EYES!!!1!

Here, I'll help you out:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobody Famous View Post
    RENO SUPERMOTO

FYI, on the 179's I have, the entire 09-10 mounting scale is 1cm back from the 08-09 scale. So +1 on the 09-10 is 0 on the 08-09.

RaccoonFace, quit being a whiner. If you want the skis, there is more than enough information here and in other threads to help you make up your own mind about where you want your binders to be. Don't blame K2 for your inability to think for yourself.
    Last edited by hop; 03-08-2009 at 06:13 AM.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

My 179s have three marks: from tip to tail: traditional, +4cm suggested, +7.5cm cord center.

I dropped them off to be mounted with my fritschi's at -1cm traditional. The shop screwed up and mounted them -1cm suggested, so really +3cm. I didn't notice till I got home so figure I'd try them out at least once.

+3: conditions in the ski area where 2-3cm of fresh on hard crusty crud. I am also not a great skier so I will spare you any details cause it is likely BS. Overall I felt there was plenty of tip to handle anything I wanted to do (I'm 5'8" 160lbs) but I also felt like there was too much tail.

I am going to hold on to them for a little while longer at this mount until I can hike back to some really deep stuff and reassess, but am leaning towards moving them back to -1cm traditional, if for nothing else to get rid of some of that tail.

Puder Luder

Quote Originally Posted by PuderLuder View Post
    My 179s have three marks: from tip to tail: traditional, +4cm suggested, +7.5cm cord center.

I dropped them off to be mounted with my fritschi's at -1cm traditional. The shop screwed up and mounted them -1cm suggested, so really +3cm. I didn't notice till I got home so figure I'd try them out at least once.

+3: conditions in the ski area where 2-3cm of fresh on hard crusty crud. I am also not a great skier so I will spare you any details cause it is likely BS. Overall I felt there was plenty of tip to handle anything I wanted to do (I'm 5'8" 160lbs) but I also felt like there was too much tail.

I am going to hold on to them for a little while longer at this mount until I can hike back to some really deep stuff and reassess, but am leaning towards moving them back to -1cm traditional, if for nothing else to get rid of some of that tail.

Puder Luder
    Follow up question: How pissed should I be at the shop for screwing up my mounting point? Is a free re-mount to where I originally asked for it sufficient compensation? Should I ask for a gratis tune to go with it or more? I am a little sad I will have an extra set of unnecessary holes in my new skis, but not devastated about it.

FYI: It is a local mountaineering/ BC shop, not a chain like REI or Christy's.

Puder Luder

Quote Originally Posted by PuderLuder View Post
    +3: conditions in the ski area where 2-3cm
    of fresh on hard crusty crud. I am also not a great skier so I will
    spare you any details cause it is likely BS. Overall I felt there was
    plenty of tip to handle anything I wanted to do (I'm 5'8" 160lbs) but
    I also felt like there was too much tail.
    I have a pair of this year's 179s that I mounted for tele at +2cm from
    the traditional line. Why +2? Well, I devined it from an ad hoc
    assessment of the mags' opinions here as them having a "best alpine
    location" of +3cm, minus 1cm, which is a rule of thumb from someone
    over on Ttips.

I'm thinking that I have pretty much the same thoughts as PuderLuder:
    They ski dang nice, but, man, there's a shit-load of tail on those bad
    boys---especially with the big twin tip pulling up the rear; it is
    *not* easy for a short old guy to herringbone with those things set up
    like that.

I'm giving real thoughts to re-mounting them at -1 or even -2 just for
    grins. I be happy to provide feedback on that setup if we ever get
    more snow in NM...

cheers,
    john

Quote Originally Posted by jrredho View Post
    I'm giving real thoughts to re-mounting them at -1 or even -2 ...
    That's exactly what I would have told you to do if you hadn't gotten a sudden bout of sandy vagina over on Ttips.

But what do I know? I've only mounted a few rockered twin-tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    That's exactly what I would have told you to do if you hadn't gotten a sudden bout of sandy vagina over on Ttips.

But what do I know? I've only mounted a few rockered twin-tips.
    The problem was that you weren't telling me that. You were busy quoting text from the K2 website, text that I had written in my post that I'd read, and telling me how to measure mid-sole of my boot with a tape measure.

I considered both of those patronizing to the extreme. I wasn't able to take you seriously after that. Sorry.

During the entire course of that conversation, it wasn't clear that you'd ever skied on an Obsethed. Have you now done so? Hint: The rocker on these skis is different from the rocker on some of the other rockered twin tips. That's what appealed to me in the first place...

Thanks, though, for keeping me updated on the correctness of all your input! I'm sure I'll be able to see you get stumped sometime!

john

^Hey, as long as it all worked out so well for you, there's no use arguing over who said what. Luck with your project.

Meow. Should I get some popcorn?
    "If you just learn a single trick, Scout, you'll get along better with all kinds of folks. You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view, until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it…" Atticus Finch - To Kill a Mockingbird

Just got back from a day at Solitude with the new 189s, mounted at +2. Up until now, my every day skis have been the o.g. yellow 179s (at least 300 days on them, probably more) and the '06/'07 189s. The 179s are mounted on the "traditional" line and the 189s are at +2.5. I am 5'9", 180, tend to ski with a more center-weighted stance, and am going to wait to write a more comprehensive review until I put a few more days on these things. The conditions at Soli, however, were varied enough to let me put the ski through its paces- the resort had gotten 4" on top of 8" that had fallen two days earlier on top of sun crust and refrozen mank. This meant everything from knee-deep light 'n' dry on shaded and north-facing aspects to relatively gross variable chunkitude.

The ski did it all. Although the mount looked very centered, the ski felt neither over-turny nor hooky. Smearing turns in pow or heavier sun-effected snow was a breeze, and pivoting quickly in tighter trees was easy despite the length. They slashed through pow-covered but chunked-up refrozen snow like an Aryan Brotherhood member through a Hispanic prison guard* and railed groomers like whoa. Even snapping off shorter radius turns on-piste was a pleasure, although the snow on-piste was exceptionally edgeable; even five-year-olds were laying it over like 666. The one thing that I didn't get to do was really open the ski up in deeper snow, but they should be great. I like railing the 179s in bigger terrain and these should be that much better with the added length, width, and rocker. The one thing I would say I didn't love was that the ski isn't all that playful; I find the 2006 edition (even in the longer length) more poppy and fun. Ultimate judgment will be reserved until I get some deep days on these things, but for right now I am very stoked on the ski at the +2 mounting point.

HTH.

*"Gangland" is on the History Channel right now.

There's way too much going on in this thread. Can someone just tell me where to mount my 179 08-09 Obsetheds?

I mounted my 189 at +3 and its pretty good, I wouldn't mind going back a cm or 2. I wouldn't go +5, it seems really far forward. I have read a few threads of people moving theres back to +1 after mounting them +5. Even if you did ski alot of park I think +3 would be far enough forward.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    There's way too much going on in this thread. Can someone just tell me where to mount my 179 08-09 Obsetheds?
    0 or +1 if you're a "traditional" skier. I wouldn't go farther forward than that.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

I wouldn't even recommend going more than 0. The 189 is very turny and the tip feels pretty short going +2.

For reference, I took your mounting advice on some 179 PEs and they have been great for me at that spot.

I've been gone for a while, and suddenly noticed that my thread was back to life.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    I ended up mounting mine at traditional, and I am happy with that. They are the best skis I have owned (but my experience is limited). I think they work great in all the different condiitons I have tried them. Refer to the first post, I wrote about my skiing style there.

BTW, I compared the Obsethed 179 08-09 traditional mount to my Volkl Gotamas (05 model?) and they were pretty similar. My Gotamas were mounted at traditional. From memory I think the difference in mount point, when adjusted for different running length, was about 1 cm, which I attributed to different ski design. Thus I decided to go for traditional, although I considered going further back.

FYI: Guess everybody has their own meaning about this. Bought mine second hand (09/10) mounted -1 with Dukes. My conclusion (and the reason I'm reading this post) is that I will move the bindings to +2.

I swapped skis with a friend of mine (same, just 08/09), and they were mounted +3. Impression: Faster turning in the woods, easier to put weight on the front part of the ski, easier rotating jumps. His impression of mine: HEAVY. He couldn't believe it was the same ski, totally different. He admitts his own have a tendency to tip-dive in deep powder, and would recommend mounting them a little bit further back than his. I would agree and mounting mine a little bit more forward.

Conclusion: 1) I will move my bindings forward to about +2. 2) +3 seems to us a little too much, -1 are far too much backward 3) Skiers are different..

(If possible, I ski powder, else I ski everything, also park some 20 %)

Øystein

Quote Originally Posted by oystlars View Post

Conclusion: 1) I will move my bindings forward to about +2. 2) +3 seems to us a little too much, -1 are far too much backward 3) Skiers are different..

(If possible, I ski powder, else I ski everything, also park some 20 %)

Øystein
    Not certain why you revived this this old thread. Are you asking a question or are you just wanting everybody to know what your doing? Or are you looking for an improper TGR beat down?