Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

High Din Bindings with Low Din People

Are their any drawbacks to using a high din binding with people who normally ski at a lower din setting? I ski at a 9 my wife is a 6 i have a pair of Salomon 900 demo bindings where the lowest Din setting is 4 and the highest is 12. Is she going to get hurt if she skis them? This is of CRUCIAL importance because her knees are part of her job which pays for my skiing fettish and CANNOT be injured in any way shape or form! Any help?
    For sure, you have to be lost to find a place that can't be found, elseways everyone would know where it was

She won't get hurt if she skis them at 6. What does your wife do that her knees are so crucial?
    Martha's just polishing the brass on the Titanic....

Originally posted by milkman
    What does your wife do that her knees are so crucial?
    LOL!

Originally posted by milkman
    She won't get hurt if she skis them at 6. What does your wife do that her knees are so crucial?
    Figure skating coach without knees she can't skate spin or jump and therefore can't lay out new programs for her skaters or demonstrate a new technique etc..... and because skating coaches are independant contractors if she can't teach she gets no $$ which means I can't be the gear whore that I am
    For sure, you have to be lost to find a place that can't be found, elseways everyone would know where it was

Gotcha. I think a Din 6 on a binding that goes to 12 is probably about the same as a din 6 on a binding that goes to 9 or 10.
    Martha's just polishing the brass on the Titanic....

Exclamation

Actually, I think its best to ski a binding in the middle of it's din range, and not toward one extreme or the other. I don't remember exactly why this is. I'd get some more opinions, because I've heard this quite a bit from guys who are way more tech-y than me.

Thumbs up

She'll be fine skiing them 2 "DINs" up from the bottom of the range. I assume you've taught her that if she starts falling, keep falling. Don't try to "save it" because that is when you start asking for trouble.

In summary: Use the bindings, teach her how to fall properly, ski off together into the sunset.
    vapor lock - bitch.

The higher(more expensive)DIN bindings are prolly safer than the lower DIN bindings. Better retention/elasticity. Figure skating coach. She ought to be a hell of a skier.
    yepper

Figure skating... given about a week on a pair of twins, she would probably be busting out some switch blindside 900's and call it a double axel.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

yeah if only i'd gotten her started earlier she could have been a sick jibber

She retired from competitive skating four years ago and doesn't jump anymore because as she said "I've been jumping since I was 5 and I'm sick of the bruises and the cold when I fall." She is a pretty good skier for only having picked it up 2 years ago hasn't quite gotten used to the speed of going downhill or moguls/powder yet but its coming along

Originally posted by hop
    double axel.
    Future school?
    vapor lock - bitch.

If her knees are that important get some Look/Rossi bindings with a pivoting heel assembly. They are MUCH easier on the knees especially in the moguls and in twisting falls.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Originally posted by phUnk
    Future school?
    nah...wouldn't that be like, ballet skiing?

My patroller brother wants to sell me Marker Jester Pro's which go from 8-18. I probably ought to be setting them to 8.5 or 9. I'm convinced that's probably fine, the question is probably more about whether I need a $300+ pair of bindings? Is there a benefit to the bigger spring - is that safer somehow? I definitely want to come out when I crash. Seems like I could get a $150-200 set and be just fine.

Don't do it. YER GUNNA DIE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by oakiedave View Post
    My patroller brother wants to sell me Marker Jester Pro's which go from 8-18. I probably ought to be setting them to 8.5 or 9. I'm convinced that's probably fine, the question is probably more about whether I need a $300+ pair of bindings? Is there a benefit to the bigger spring - is that safer somehow? I definitely want to come out when I crash. Seems like I could get a $150-200 set and be just fine.
    Considering STH2 13’s are on sale on Evo.com right now for under $200, save your $ on those Jester’s... Because, like NW_SKIER said “YER GUNNA DIE!!!”

Pretty sure this topic has been beaten to death in the last 15 years.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Send a message to laseranimal and phunk.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

How the hell do people find 15 year old threads? When I search, I can’t find shit.

Quote Originally Posted by MHSP1497 View Post
    Considering STH2 13’s are on sale on Evo.com right now for under $200, save your $ on those Jester’s... Because, like NW_SKIER said “YER GUNNA DIE!!!”
    Thanks - that's the conclusion I'm getting to from this and other threads. I'm going to save the weight and some dough.

I like how there's still an icon for people's AIM.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Buy the Jesters for a used price which is probably the same price as new stuff that is of lessor quality. It's your brother so he should be willing to give you a great deal, right? I bought a pair of Dukes the other day for ~$200 to put on a new paid of Bonafides. I wasn't really looking for a touring binding but hey, it's the top of the line with magnesium parts and such for the same price as a pair of Jesters was going to cost me so essentially the hiking component was FREE and due to the design I got a slightly raised binding which I prefer as it replicates the raise plates on my racing skis. My motto has always been to buy the best product you can at a price as cheaply as possible and it's worked out really well in most areas.

I have some FKS 185s (8-18) that I run at 8. They haven't come off yet, so I assume they're working perfectly.

I think you should buy them, set them at 18, and launch Corbet's wearing nothing but a loin cloth and pirate hat.

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    I think you should buy them, set them at 18, and launch Corbet's wearing nothing but a loin cloth and pirate hat.
    Have you considered a career as a life coach?