Major withdrawls from Tour

Cippolini and Petacchi have both withdrawn from the race. Although this will have no impact on the race to wear Yellow in Paris, this will really change the dynamics on the flats.
    "There is a hell of a huge difference between skiing as a sport- or even as a lifestyle- and skiing as an industry"
    Hunter S. Thompson, 1970 (RIP)

Re: Major withdrawls from Tour

Originally posted by Plakespear
    Cippolini and Petacchi have both withdrawn from the race. Although this will have no impact on the race to wear Yellow in Paris, this will really change the dynamics on the flats.
    I saw that this morning, bummer. I would have liked to have seen the Lion King win a stage or two, after he was shut out last year. It sounds as though the crashed got the better of them. It looks like Lance went down today, but is unscathed.

Off topic somewhat, but it was pretty cool to check out pics from the Tour of Georgia and to see the support the fans were giving Mario. And from reading his quotes he was loving all of it, and was pretty impressed with his racing experience in the US. I believe he might have been flashed once or twice by some of his female fans.

Too bad really, for Patacchi, Cippolini and the fans. Moreso than Patacchi, I was really hoping to see Cippolini win a stage or two.
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Science-fiction author Robert Heinlein

Patacchi better be careful or the "Le Tour" officials may place him in the same boat Cippolini has been in for the past few years - that of the uninvited.

Those officials don't take kindly to riders who only enter to win a flat stage or two, then drop out when the race hits the mountains.
    Of all the muthafuckas on earth, you the muthafuckest.

They both dropped out due to crash related injuries. Petacchi in particular had stated his goal was to finish the Tour, and contend for the green jersey.
    "There is a hell of a huge difference between skiing as a sport- or even as a lifestyle- and skiing as an industry"

Originally posted by snow_slider
    Those officials don't take kindly to riders who only enter to win a flat stage or two, then drop out when the race hits the mountains.
    All hail the officials on this one.

However, if they fell, some understanding is called for.
    Ski, Bike, Climb.
    Resistence is futile.

And Happy belated Birthday Plakespear!

Noticed it yesterday.
    Ski, Bike, Climb.
    Resistence is futile.

Down the valley a bit further on the good side of the 49th
    What the hell you talking about!
    Major withdrawls from Tour doesn't come until late July.
    It's not so much the model year, it's the high mileage or meterage to keep the youth of Canada happy

Well, if they crashed and dropped out due to injuries, then I have no problem with them droping out. I didn't know Petacchi crashed, but I did hear about Cippo's crash.

I just really wanted Petacchi to finish. He did so well in the Giro D'Italia.
    Of all the muthafuckas on earth, you the muthafuckest.

Update: Petacchi may miss the Olympics

Down the valley a bit further on the good side of the 49th
    OK now I have major tour withdrawls! My mornings are empty, I have to seek other entertainment than the Phils at night. I no longer talk with my hands like Bob Roll.

I'm endlessly listening to Sheryl Crow CDs.

But the shaking is what's really throwing me.

It's not so much the model year, it's the high mileage or meterage to keep the youth of Canada happy

Originally posted by L7
    OK now I have major tour withdrawls! My mornings are empty, I have to seek other entertainment than the Phils at night. I no longer talk with my hands like Bob Roll.

I'm endlessly listening to Sheryl Crow CDs.

But the shaking is what's really throwing me.
    i hear ya man, major withdrawls here too.

I know what ya mean. I get up at 8:25 every morning no matter how late I go to bed, thinking I'll flip on the tube to hear Al and Bob yakkin it up with Carmichael or Frankie Andreau. oh well, only another 11 months till it starts again. Lance is prolly gonna start training for #7[antijinx] tomorrow.

-Ben

Originally posted by glademaster
    I know what ya mean. I get up at 5:55 every morning ...

Lance is prolly gonna start training for #7[antijinx] tomorrow.
    Why couldn't they just keep going . . . . Lance said he could ride another week. I guess we can always look forward to some lame Olympics coverage. And then there is the Vuelta on OLN.

I want to know if Lance is going to ride - to win - in the Giro and the Vuelta so he can add the other major tours to his list of victories.
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Science-fiction author Robert Heinlein

Originally posted by InspectorGadget

I want to know if Lance is going to ride - to win - in the Giro and the Vuelta so he can add the other major tours to his list of victories.
    Doubt it
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

i reckon he'll go for the vuelta even though the giro is probably more prestigious. he lives in spain, speaks the language ok, it's later in the year, and there are rarely many drug controversies. the giro has chucked out the leader in the race on more than one occasion (pantani and simoni).

edit- besides, i think he's scare of cunego gotta love that kid
    Last edited by ulty_guy; 07-28-2004 at 06:02 AM.

Originally posted by InspectorGadget
    I could not see Lance racing a Grand Tour without the end goal of winning it. If Lance rides the Giro, he will be riding to win it. Also I cannot see Lance riding the TdF in support of another rider. I think we would see another Hinnault/Lemond scenario. Lance's teammates are strong, but in reality do they have what it takes to get the overall win at the Tour.

I am looking forward to the Vuelta. I don't know if Johnson or Vandevelde will be selected to ride on their respective Spanish teams, as a Spanish team would tend to field all Spaniards for the Vuelta. But watch out for Tommy D, it appears that he is set for the Fasso Vuelta team. His form is looking good as he broke the 12 year old record on Mt Evans last weekend. Danielson is not the next Armstrong, but he can climb and did show some TT ability in some euro races, so he might have potential to take a race like the Giro or Vuelta, we will see,