Page 2 of 204 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rontele View Post
    I asked my friend during the concert, "whats that smell?"

I was naive.
    You had never smelt your own BO before?

Quote Originally Posted by stapes View Post
    That 1st set is one of the best sets they ever put together.
    It was extra nice having a reserved seat 10th row center.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    You had never smelt your own BO before?
    Heh. It was the combo of BO, patchouli and ganj

Quote Originally Posted by Pinner View Post
    11/17/97 was arguably one of the best shows they ever played.
    I think the first set is the best set they ever played. The jams in both Tweezer and Ghost are out of this world. Not even being there, you can tell the space ship lands at about the 6 min mark in Ghost...

unfucking real.

OK, I need to get a copy of that show, I guess. 5-song first set? Anyone feel like hooking me up?

It was extra nice having a reserved seat 10th row center.

Quote Originally Posted by Rontele View Post
    I think the first set is the best set they ever played. The jams in both Tweezer and Ghost are out of this world. Not even being there, you can tell the space ship lands at about the 6 min mark in Ghost...

unfucking real.
    The Reba was not too shabby either.

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
    OK, I need to get a copy of that show, I guess. 5-song first set? Anyone feel like hooking me up?
    Tweezer, Reba, Train Song, Ghost, Fire

If you can wait a couple weeks, I'll burn you a copy.

Quote Originally Posted by stapes View Post
    The Reba was not too shabby either.
    I agree, but really the Tweezer and Ghost make that set. The melodic jam at the end of a Tweezer to OPEN A FIRST SET. Fuggitabouit.

I love Phish.

I used to love Phish. Maybe when you burn that cd I can get a copy and start loving Phish again?

11/17/97 was arguably one of the best shows they ever played.

That was a good night.......
    Last edited by Artie Fufkin; 10-08-2008 at 03:35 PM.

Funny anecdote:

We had a huDge party at the house in Boulder after that show, and I overheard these "core" Phish heads in the corner raving about that "new" song "When the Circus Comes to Town" which none of them had ever heard before.

So I fired "Kiko" into the disc player and sat back to watch a bunch of people proceed to totally lose their shit.

Fuggn clueless, one-dimensional hippies.

(The next morning the neighbor asked, "Who played the concert last night? I knew it was someone big because of all the mountain cars parked in front of your house.")

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    I was 13, but did see my first phish show at 12. 8/14/96.
    That fuckin gave me chills. I was at that one. The town that smells like CHOCOLATE....... From there, went on up to the Clifford Ball. Stoke-meter is on high.
    washu feeze drive me to firenze?

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Everyone always says 8/14/96 was a weak show, but I had no idea what to expect and loved it. Then again 12/3/97 is on a whole other level musically.

mmmm, 12/3. didnt that have a super funky gumbo? love me some fall 97 funk

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by nateski View Post
    mmmm, 12/3. didnt that have a super funky gumbo? love me some fall 97 funk
    Wednesday, December 3, 1997
    The CoreStates Spectrum, Philadelphia, PA

Set I: Punch You In The Eye, My Soul, Drowned, The Old Home Place, Gumbo > Also Sprach Zarathustra > You Enjoy Myself
    Set II: David Bowie -> Possum > Jam -> Prince Caspian, Frankenstein, Harry Hood
    Encore: Crossroads
    Show Notes: The jam out of Drowned (first since March 18, 1997, or 52 shows) included a Couldn't Stand the Weather jam. Bowie included a Take Me Out to the Ballgame tease and a Simpsons Signal.

The jam out of Possum was the face melter. Its the predecessor to the 12/7/97 Tube jam.

Anyone heard anything or know anyone that's heard back about their request for tix???

And 12/7 Tube = Intergalacticspacefunktastic

I've always said that if I could go back in time and see one show again, it would be 11/17/97. Gawd, that show was fuckin' good.
    Old's Cool.

So the whole first Phish show thing got me thinking about the first time I saw them and I didn't realize it was this long ago:

04-12-90 The Inferno, Steamboat Springs, CO

1: Golgi Aparatus, Ya Mar, Walk Away, Uncle Pen, Possum, You Enjoy Myself, Take the A-Train, Cavern, Jesus Just Left Chicago, The Divided Sky, Good Times Bad Times

2: David Bowie, My Sweet One, Oh Kee Pa Ceremony > Suzy Greenberg, Tweezer, Lizards, Runaway Jim, Fish Song*, Mike's Song

E: Carolina

*Song title unknown.

04-13-90 The Inferno, Steamboat Springs, CO

1: Funky Bitch, Dinner and a Movie, Bouncing, Fluffhead, Esther, La Grange, Oh Kee Pa Ceremony-> AC/DC Bag, Reba, Fire

2: Run Like an Antelope, Foam, You Enjoy Myself, Alumni Blues, The Ballad of Curtis Loew > Sloth, Harry Hood, Caravan, Possum, Highway to Hell

04-14-90 The Inferno, Steamboat Springs, CO

1: Split Open and Melt, Uncle Pen, Cavern, The Divided Sky, Colonel Forbin's Ascent > Famous Mockingbird, Rift, Mike's Song

2: I Didn't Know, Oh Kee Pa Ceremony > Suzy Greenberg, Tweezer, Bathtub Gin, Bold As Love, Wilson, Ride Captain Ride, Golgi Apparatus, Fee, David Bowie

That May I saw them at a spring festival party at a college outside of Philly (Haverford College maybe?) but oddly I don't see that show listed on Phish.net. I was visiting a friend and had no idea they were playing at the school, but I saw John Fishman walking around the student union before the show and I talked with him and Trey for a bit about their tour of CO. They remembered the Steamboat shows because the Inferno was so packed, but I don't think they realized it was the last weekend of the ski season and people were just going off the deep end.

Also, Widespread Panic played the Inferno for two nights in March of 1990, so it was a good time for live music in Steamboat Springs.

Edit: and the WSP shows were solid-

03/12/90 The Inferno, Steamboat Springs, CO
    0: Stop-Go, Space Wrangler, Rock, Pigeons, Machine, Barstools and Dreamers, Love Tractor, Travelin' Light, Proving Ground, Coconut, C. Brown, Porch Song
    [Opened for Little Women]

03/13/90 The Inferno, Steamboat Springs, CO
    0: L.a. > Conrad, Holden Oversoul, Knocking 'Round The Zoo, Stop-Go > B of D, Sleepy Monkey, Love Tractor, Walkin' (For Your Love) > I'm Not Alone > Chilly Water
    [Opened for Little Women]
    Last edited by sftc; 10-09-2008 at 03:40 PM.

Wow, that's going way back. Awesome!

One of my favorite shows that I first had on tape was 11-4-90 from Ft Collins. Sick Hood.

^^fuck yeah. back in the day. those old 'rado shows are really cool on tape. would have been super cool to have been there. my first was 10/24/95, madison, wisco. i was 13 and it blew me away..

First Show:

12-01-96 Pauley Pavillion, UCLA, Los Angeles, CA

1: Peaches en Regalia, Poor Heart, Cavern, Cars Trucks Buses, Character Zero, The Curtain, Down With Disease, Train Song, The Horse-> Silent in the Morning, Sample in a Jar, Run Like an Antelope

2: Tweezer-> Sparkle, Simple-> A Day in the Life, Reba, Swept Away-> Steep-> Tweezer Reprise-> Johnny B. Goode, Slave to the Traffic Light

E: Highway to Hell

15yo, it was a school night, but somehow convinced the parents it was all good. Scored 2nd row off the mail order. My eyes were opened in many ways that night

First show
    04-09-94 Broome County Arena, Binghamton, NY

1: Magilla, Wilson, Rift, Bathtub Gin, Nellie Cane, Julius, Fee, All Things Reconsidered, Stash, The Squirming Coil

2: Sample in a Jar, Reba, Peaches en Regalia-> Big Ball Jam, Demand*-> Mike's Song-> I Am Hydrogen-> Weekapaug Groove, Tela-> Slave to the Traffic Light, Cavern

E: Amazing Grace, Highway to Hell

*First time played.
    let your tracks be lost in the dark and snow

I'd go see them if they came here, but I doubt they'll make it that far. I listen to them occasionally, but lost the obsession long ago.

My first show. It was a pretty small venue relative to the other stops that year.

11-22-94 Jesse Auditorium, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO

1: Buried Alive, Poor Heart, Horn, Foam, Guyute, I Didn't Know, Bouncing Around the Room, Down With Disease, Sweet Adeline

2: Funky Bitch, Lawn Train#*, Y-Rushalayim Schel Zahav, Cry Baby Cry, The Curtain, Blackbird, Runaway Jeff, Big Black Furry Creature From Mars, I'm Blue I'm Lonesome, Instrumental, My Long Journey Home, Harry Hood**, Highway to Hell

E: Lizards

*Name unsure, could just be a jam. **By an audience members request. #First time played.

first show:

07/09/92 Cumberland County Civic Center, Portland, ME
    H.O.R.D.E. Festival
    Set I: Glide, The Oh Kee Pa Ceremony, Suzy Greenberg, The Landlady, Sparkle, Stash, The Squirming Coil, Runaway Jim, Guelah Papyrus, David Bowie, Glide
    Encore: Rocky Top
    Old's Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Yonder_River View Post
    I'd go see them if they came here, but I doubt they'll make it that far. I listen to them occasionally, but lost the obsession long ago.

My first show. It was a pretty small venue relative to the other stops that year.

11-22-94 Jesse Auditorium, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO

1: Buried Alive, Poor Heart, Horn, Foam, Guyute, I Didn't Know, Bouncing Around the Room, Down With Disease, Sweet Adeline

2: Funky Bitch, Lawn Train#*, Y-Rushalayim Schel Zahav, Cry Baby Cry, The Curtain, Blackbird, Runaway Jeff, Big Black Furry Creature From Mars, I'm Blue I'm Lonesome, Instrumental, My Long Journey Home, Harry Hood**, Highway to Hell

E: Lizards

*Name unsure, could just be a jam. **By an audience members request. #First time played.
    That's sweet^^^^^

I went to Mizzou for a year and yes, Jesse is not big at all, and right on the quad. Would have been sweet seeing them there.

My 1st (I look like a nOOb compared to most of you guys!). Sick sick Gin to open. Instantly hooked. And a my only Kung.

07-29-98 Riverport Amphitheatre, Maryland Heights, MO

Sound Check: If You Need A Fool, If You Need A Fool, If You Need A Fool, Better Believe It Baby

1: Bathtub Gin, Dog Log*, Foam, Fikus, Farmhouse, Vultures**, Glide, Birds of a Feather (1:04)

2: Buried Alive -> If You Need a Fool^, AC/DC Bag, Lizards, Tube, Kung, Run Like an Antelope***

E: Waste, Golgi Apparatus, Bittersweet Motel (2/E 1:22)

*Dedicated to Paul (Languedoc). **New arrangement. ^First time played (Steve Earle song from his album "Early Tracks"; also performed with an additional verse by The Del McCoury Band from their album "Blue Side of Time"). Trey on vocals. ***Fish on vacuum for intro.