Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

BD Megawatt Mounting

Long time lurker.... let the JONG comments begin.

Anyway, picked up some Megawatts and going to throw some Freerides on them. Want to figure whether to mount on the line - I am 6'3", 190. Will be strictly powder/crud/sierra cement dump ski. Otherwise, on my Goats.

I have the Goats mounted on the line and both platforms on the freerides (somewhat like the back-feeling on that setup).

Anyone ski the Megawatts and did you mount on the line? With the rocker, thinking about (i) mounting forward a bit or (ii) loosing the front plate on the freerides to get rid of back-seat feeling.

Thanks.

The few reviews I have read and the few BD staffers I spoke to said a mount on the line is your best bet. There is a ton of rocker, but, apparently BD accounted for that when they put the mount line on the skis.

I had mine mounted with FFR+s on the line.

Cool - figure that is the safest bet and I can always adjust later if necessary. Didn't know they accounted for the rocker in the line placement.

How you like skiing them? Pumped to get out on them (first time I bought skis w/out demo, but the reviews were sick).

Have not been on them yet, but, talked to a bunch of lucky people who skied them part of last year and I have heard nothing bad about them, other than the fact that they don't handle that well on groomers or in shallow pow.

But, they are not meant to be anything other than a deep pow ski...

Exactly - I am taking these out when it is TOO deep for Gotamas (which is deep) - hopefully this happens a majority of the season!

My Megawatts will come out when it is too deep for my VCTs or Verdicts....

I rode them as my everyday ski last year, and mounted them on the line with good results. That said, I wouldn't mount them forward due to the rocker, and not too much reason to mount them back for powder, due to the rocker.

Quote: other than the fact that they don't handle that well on groomers or in shallow pow.

Guess you'll find out for yourself, but they handled better on groomers for me than my Gotamas, and if the snow is even close to soft, they will rule it.

Have fun with them, and go long with the length

The comment about the handling on groomers was based on other people's feedback. While I trust these people (pro staff, etc.) I still have not had them on groomers myself, so, only time will tell.

The SSJs looked like they are going to pick up a foot or so this weekend, so, is anything the Verdicts might be taking a few laps down through Wolf Creek.

Quote Originally Posted by Tresckow View Post
    I rode them as my everyday ski last year, and mounted them on the line with good results. That said, I wouldn't mount them forward due to the rocker, and not too much reason to mount them back for powder, due to the rocker.

Quote: other than the fact that they don't handle that well on groomers or in shallow pow.

Guess you'll find out for yourself, but they handled better on groomers for me than my Gotamas, and if the snow is even close to soft, they will rule it.

Have fun with them, and go long with the length

Quote Originally Posted by Tresckow View Post
    Interesting - I find that my Gotamas handle pretty well on the groomers as well. Up to now they have been my daily drivers..... Excited to get on the megawatts though (yes I went with the max 188).

Anyone skied these bad boys mounted on the line or forward yet? I ask because I may be forced into mounting mine forward 1.5cm because of a shop fuck up (http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...=143730&page=2 - My story starts at post #29 in case you're curious).

I'm interested to know if you guys think the line is money or if they might be alright a little bit forward.

FYI, I've got 188s but I'm only 5'9" and weigh about 160 lbs so I think forward might not be all that terrible but who knows? My main concern is that I like my fatties to have a short tail. I think these skis in particular, with their stiff flat tails, could become difficult to muscle around in tight spots if the bindings were mounted too far forward. Any thoughts?
    If you've never seen an elephant ski, you've never been on acid.

- Eddie Izzard

It's impossible to find a pair of these

Quote Originally Posted by JimLad View Post
    It's impossible to find a pair of these
    Srsly? At Whistler? Got problem with ordering off the interwebz? A google shopping search turns up a number of options:

http://www.google.com/products?sourc...num=1&ct=title

Don't know whether any of these places ship to Canadia but these skis are definitely out there.

- Eddie Izzard

Quote Originally Posted by Herr Doktor View Post
    Anyone skied these bad boys mounted on the line or forward yet?
    mine are mounted little bit forward, only 3mm. the marked shoe position is quite far back. i don't think it's a problem to mount them +1,5cm.

Thanks Shinobi.

And bump for my question in the quote below. Anyone else got any input? Bueller...Bueller...

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Herr Doktor View Post
    Anyone skied these bad boys mounted on the line or forward yet? I ask because I may be forced into mounting mine forward 1.5cm because of a shop fuck up (http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...=143730&page=2 - My story starts at post #29 in case you're curious).

I'm interested to know if you guys think the line is money or if they might be alright a little bit forward.

FYI, I've got 188s but I'm only 5'9" and weigh about 160 lbs so I think forward might not be all that terrible but who knows? My main concern is that I like my fatties to have a short tail. I think these skis in particular, with their stiff flat tails, could become difficult to muscle around in tight spots if the bindings were mounted too far forward. Any thoughts?

- Eddie Izzard

just another vote for on the line. It is nearly impossible to sink the tips. I tried leaning way forward in deep snow and they just keep coming to the surface. You will love them on crust too.

And agreed still very fun on groomers although it is funny to watch the tips flap around.

Anyone else wanna chime in on mounting forward? Heard this was the way to go.
    ROBOTS ARE EATING MY FACE.

not where the most snow was last night...
    mount on the line fo-sure. ONLY on groomers will you think they need to be mounted forward. I was thinking that I messed up by not going forward until I got them into the deep stuff, the line is $$$. These aren’t for groomers anyways right? Going on the line you can lean forward/more natural stance in the goods as opposed to leaning slightly back. Im prob 215lbs with gear and tried to sink the tips, no luck, they float!

If you're really light weight, you could prob go forward a touch, but im pretty sure BD tried several mounting points before they put the line on the ski.
    When seconds count...ski patrol, SAR or the cops are only minutes away...

If they call it Tourist Season, why cant we shoot them?

Quote Originally Posted by Bcar View Post
    mount on the line fo-sure. ONLY on groomers will you think they need to be mounted forward. I was thinking that I messed up by not going forward until I got them into the deep stuff, the line is $$$. These aren’t for groomers anyways right? Going on the line you can lean forward/more natural stance in the goods as opposed to leaning slightly back. Im prob 215lbs with gear and tried to sink the tips, no luck, they float!

If you're really light weight, you could prob go forward a touch, but im pretty sure BD tried several mounting points before they put the line on the ski.

+1. Now that I have two full powder days on them, right on the line is money. You can ski a normal stance (takes getting used to if you are used to a slight lean back in powder) - cannot sink tips in pow or chopped up crud.

not where the most snow was last night...
    Quote Originally Posted by Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer View Post
    +1. Now that I have two full powder days on them, right on the line is money. You can ski a normal stance (takes getting used to if you are used to a slight lean back in powder) - cannot sink tips in pow or chopped up crud.
    ditto on that, took me several runs to "unlearn" the leaning back Im used to doing on my mantras in the deep goods. after that I wanted to charge longer/harder than my friends as I didnt have the quad burn as bad.

are you liking yours? mine are collecting dust while im in the #@$%$# cast!!
    When seconds count...ski patrol, SAR or the cops are only minutes away...

If they call it Tourist Season, why cant we shoot them?

any updates after a full season of use? thinking +1 will be better later in the day when things firm up...

thoughts?

Mortimer - after a season of use, I would still say right on the line is perfect. Please keep in mind I am really not *that* picky with mounting points, so take this with a grain of salt.

I thought the line mount worked great in both deep pow conditions, as well as a couple of firm days that I was out on them (e.g., a day at Alpine w/ Sinecure when the Dynafits broke on my Verdicts).

As an aside, I am replacing the FFR+ on mine w/ Dynafit FT12s and plan to use the Megawatt as a pow-day touring ski (along w/ Verdict w/ Dynafit STs for bigger day touring, spring touring, etc...). Going to rock Praxis Protests as the in-bounds pow ski.

Enjoy the MWs. They are sweet.

Wondering what boots people are using with the Megawatts? I keep looking at these giant f***ing skis in the garage waiting to get mounted and wonder if I need to upgrade to a burlier boot?

Quote Originally Posted by GiantManta View Post
    Wondering what boots people are using with the Megawatts? I keep looking at these giant f***ing skis in the garage waiting to get mounted and wonder if I need to upgrade to a burlier boot?
    What boots you got now?

I skied them in BD Pushes (four buckle tele boot, not the stiffest...) and had no trouble at all. Megawatts aren't crazy stiff or anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Running some 4-buckle G-Rides, but I'm a big boy (210 lbs.) thus the paranoia

Quote Originally Posted by GiantManta View Post
    Running some 4-buckle G-Rides, but I'm a big boy (210 lbs.) thus the paranoia
    I think you'll be fine.

But, if you want an enabler...

Man, those boots are too weak for that big manly ski. You're probably gonna need a new pair of Dynafit Titans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.