Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lone Peak tram rumors

Lots of rumors floating around the really Big Sky these days.

CNL buying Big Sky (True, deal done in 2 years)

Y/C going under (False, new partners, new infusion of cash)

Moonlight Basin being operated by Big Sky (False, Biz as usual)

One that has really gained a following is this. The Lone Peak Tram will not operate this winter. (False, untrue, not even close)

The Tram needs a new Haul Rope (the big cable that carries the cabins). The Haul Rope is manufactured in Europe. It takes time to make and to ship. The Rope was ordered in late May/early June. It arrived in the US early last week and is being shipped to Montana even as I type.

Once here, it will take a couple of weeks to get it into position, pull it to the top and back around and then splice it. If my hazy memory is correct, it was about this time in Oct. 1995 that the crew doing the original construction on the tram began to get the Haul Rope ready. It snowed 99 inches that Oct. and they still managed to get it done.

So when some bro-brah tells you the tram ain't gonna run this season, well...
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

who is CNL? Canadian National Loggers? Cold Nasty Leggings? Crust Nuggets of Love?
    Oh, fuck, according to Google search, It's a realestate investment group. Can't wait for the $2k season pass.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Great to know. I hadn't heard the rumors, but I can see how that one would sound plausible and spread pretty fast. Without Lenin, Marx & Liberty it'd be hard to get excited about going this year. Thanks for the heads up, glad it'll all be worked out by the time the season starts.

Their pass is already pretty high-end, can it in reality go a lot higher? None of CNL's other properties are too outrageous in terms of tickets/passes, what's to say BS's will shoot up? <-Not an ass, actually wondering.

And I'll make sure to tell people the truth about the tram, that yes, it is opening, but it's not safe because the cable already broke once.
    I think the potato gun proved the stability.

hey Bunion, how about some these "last season rumors" and some more "this season rumors"

Dakota closed early last yr, b/c YC owns that property or at least some of it and the new chair will not run this season?

RamCharger's poles aren't set up properly and it's questionable as to it's future?

Gondy is tore down and the poles for the new 6-person chair w/ a bubble are up already?

Alpine Lounge is closed this season?

Moonlight has already sold their lifts?

Not that I believed or spread these fantastic rumors, but they are things I've heard from the aboved mentioned bro-brah types. You seem to have the scoop. What's what?
    ""wash uffize drive me to firenze".

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by benDover View Post
    hey Bunion, how about some these "last season rumors" and some more "this season rumors"

Dakota closed early last yr, b/c YC owns that property or at least some of it and the new chair will not run this season?

I was out yesterday surveying new trails for MLB. The guy I was with did the re-survey of the Big Sky/Y/C boundary. The Dakota chair is 100% on Big Sky land. As far as I know, there is o reason to think that lift will not operate.

RamCharger's poles aren't set up properly and it's questionable as to it's future?

Great rumor. Haven't heard that one. That lift was built in 1991/92. You would think someone would have noticed.

Gondy is tore down and the poles for the new 6-person chair w/ a bubble are up already?

The Gondy is gone, no replacement this year.

RIP. That space became part of the snowboard shop.

Moonlight has already sold their lifts?

Nope, no truth to that one either.

Not that I believed or spread these fantastic rumors, but they are things I've heard from the aboved mentioned bro-brah types. You seem to have the scoop. What's what?
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion View Post
    I was out yesterday surveying new trails for MLB

I'd like to hear a little more about this, please.

Why is it that the goobers who live up the canyon are brain-dead enough that these "rumors" circulate? No offense to you, bunion, you seem like a good guy, but the goober-factor implicit in that tripe is just amazing. I figure that it's because the hotel and restaurant employees down there are 19 year olds from Kansas or Texas or some godawful place who only stick around for a year or two. Everyone's retarded when they're young and out of their element, I suppose. But the goober-factor is still a turn-off to many Bozemanites, even if there is little that can be done about it.

If we are having candid rumor addressing time: How long is MLB going to be able to sell off equity stakes to P/E firms for financing? I just don't see anyone wanting to issue any more debt to keep the place liquid any time soon, nor do I see the real estate market turning around and condominium-selling windfalls to start pouring in. You can get by like this for a while, but eventually you run out of equity to sell off, n'est-ce pas? What do things look like in 3 years, I wonder?

yeah, Bunion...where were you surveying? Lost lakes? Fan? See anything new and interesting?

Wow - that Tram situation would be a bummer and would have made the $1,700 I just dropped yesterday on my Lone Peak Pass a bit worthless. Any known changes with Headwaters lift or North Summit access this year? Is the triple gonna make it through another year without plunging to earth? Challenger?

Quote Originally Posted by DictatorShooter View Post
    Wow - that Tram situation would be a bummer and would have made the $1,700 I just dropped yesterday on my Lone Peak Pass a bit worthless. Any known changes with Headwaters lift or North Summit access this year? Is the triple gonna make it through another year without plunging to earth? Challenger?
    it would take the fun outa bs and mlb. challenger and triple have been there a while ........ guess it will be left up to gravity

Peck, you ready for season? Methinks we need to plan a meet up. You still biking up there?
    backcountry makes my wee wee tingle...
    "What was once a mighty river. Now a ghost." Edward Abbey
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    It's not wyoming...it's Jackson.
    Different rules apply.
    My Adventures

"Feeling good is good enough."

these are both true except the bubble chair thing

and the alpine will not be part of the snowboard shop... its going to be lockers or something gay

I thought the CNL deal fell apart last February. So it's back on and will close in two years? Challenger has been running three minutes slower the past two years. Another lift needing repairs/replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    Why is it that the goobers who live up the canyon are brain-dead enough that these "rumors" circulate? No offense to you, bunion, you seem like a good guy, but the goober-factor implicit in that tripe is just amazing. I figure that it's because the hotel and restaurant employees down there are 19 year olds from Kansas or Texas or some godawful place who only stick around for a year or two. Everyone's retarded when they're young and out of their element, I suppose. But the goober-factor is still a turn-off to many Bozemanites, even if there is little that can be done about it.
    Yeah, no goobers in Bozeman.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    If we are having candid rumor addressing time: How long is MLB going to be able to sell off equity stakes to P/E firms for financing? I just don't see anyone wanting to issue any more debt to keep the place liquid any time soon, nor do I see the real estate market turning around and condominium-selling windfalls to start pouring in. You can get by like this for a while, but eventually you run out of equity to sell off, n'est-ce pas? What do things look like in 3 years, I wonder?
    Yes again. It does make one wonder.

big sky

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion View Post
    Yeah, no goobers in Bozeman.
    haha nice. big sky is just full of "goobers." i guess that a lot of rumors get circulated because Big Sky Resort is one of the biggest companies in Montana and the town is only, what, 2000 people? There's not much else to circulate rumors about, unless you're talking about the "Bozeman vs. Big Sky" or some other high school debate.
    I was kinda hoping for a delay in the tramwire, thinking that not many people would want to hike. Oh well, guess I'll have to suffer some more tram rides this winter...
    I've got the key to the highway... I'm gonna leave here runnin', walkin's far too slow

Quote Originally Posted by montanamike View Post
    Oh well, guess I'll have to suffer some more tram rides this winter...
    yeah it's tough out here.

Man, take some pics when the haul rope comes in and they set it up, that thing must be on one hell of a big spool.

yo bunion, I had heard that rummor about CNL too, but I heard they only wanted Big Sky if they could also get Moonlight, anything to that, I am now out of the loop somewhat...and DHing ends tommorow skibum

[QUOTE= unless you're talking about the "Bozeman vs. Big Sky" or some other high school debate.
    ...[/QUOTE]

Hey, don't diss that age old war. What, it's almost as old as the crusades by now!

When are you back in town Mike?

yeah

Hey, don't diss that age old war. What, it's almost as old as the crusades by now!

When are you back in town Mike?
    ya i know, respect the war. it's legit. bozeman's cool and big sky's cool. but yeah man, i'm back in town within a week maybe. why, you lookin to go in halfs on a twelve pack of natty light?
    I've got the key to the highway... I'm gonna leave here runnin', walkin's far too slow

Mike, call me when you get around - owe ya a night out. Shouldn't be going out of town anytime too soon...

The Haul Rope is manufactured in Europe. It takes time to make and to ship. The Rope was ordered in late May/early June. It arrived in the US early last week and is being shipped to Montana even as I type.
    As much as I would like to believe that BigSky is capable of getting a crucial project done on time, my past experience tells me something very, very different. Here's to wishful thinking!

Anyhoo, why on Earth would BigSky invest money in the Triple Chair? Who rides that one? What I'm more concerned with is luxury condos in Village Center One.. as in: GIMME!! I will say that as much as I love the new Dakota chair, The demise of the G-Ride really shows (imo) that BigSky is too focused on expansion at the expense of maintaining current infrastructure. A dead triple really kills movement on the mountain. Also, Swifty is going to be a bitch at mid-day with the gondola down.. just another reason to avoid the Base.

Back to wanton expansion.. what I really want to know about is whether or not the idea of a Liberty Ropeline Poma is dead in the water.. Who's got the skinny on that one?

One more thing.. Is the deal involving CNL and Boyne another Sugarloaf/Cypress/Gatlinburg scenario where CNL buys the property and then leases it back to Boyne for the next 20 years? Someone needs to take operational control away from Boyne. Please!
    Last edited by Eleventy; 10-03-2008 at 12:25 AM.
    Stay left.

tell you what mike, I'll splurge and buy a 12er of something good to celebrate my last ski season before fatherhood!!!