Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15
    Splatster have you guys picked up any more carbon? Wondering if there is a(nother) pressing of 186's in the works this season?

Last question - you get that box I sent?

Yeah, we'll do another 186 run. Won't be too long either at the rate things are moving along now. Still plenty of winter left and lhasa days to get the goods. And yes, the box arrived a couple days ago. Thank you VERY much. You're an awesome dude, Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    After throwing thousands of darts at the skis while they were propped up against the wall, this is the point the most darts landed. If you would like to throw your own darts, feel free.
    I've used this method , but make sure you position skis bases up ( don't want to get those shiny tops marked)

Also be careful if you get the wife involved.

Yes, your 179s will be coming soon. Gotta knock out a few more and do the finish work, and get them a skiable stonegrind and they're off.

vpm - give it some time. next batch of 192s will be the best ever.
    Bump. Did you guys start pressing the 192s yet?

Quote Originally Posted by LivinTheDream View Post
    Bump. Did you guys start pressing the 192s yet?
    Prolly start Monday on the 192s. Shipping 196s right now.
    Just waiting to get some cores and sidewalls milled and we're on the 192s.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    On what ski?

On the 179 Fats, boot center (minus the duckbill) at the alpine boot mark was money.

On the 186 Lhasas, I mounted 1 cm back and they are just right.

I'd say take the above for an average sized foot (I'm 26.5) and move back a bit if it's bigger.
    I had my 186 Lhasas mounted with NTN 1 cm back from the alpine boot center (middle position). I think they ski fine there, so haven't experimented with moving the binding to the front or rear position. I don't think it's necessary to go back any more than that. Going to do further testing this weekend
    Sinful and wind-borne..

After shredding tons of deep fresh on open bowls and tight trees I will take the 186 Brockers/Lhasas out for some deep mank tomorrow. Will report back.

After getting the skis back from stonegrinding, we discovered a number of topsheet misalignments. I almost fired Tom and Yoshi over this and chewed Tom's ass endlessly, as he is in charge of the shop while I'm out. In the end, I had to eat crow and apologize to both of them. It wasn't their fault. Turns out the topsheet guide lines that tell us how to align the topsheets in the molds were all totally out of whack. They got worse as we worked our way through the tops and left us with 20 pair of 196 carbon blems.

We've shipped almost all the orders out of the ones that were good, but we have to go back and make a few pair again due to this fuckup by the topsheet guys. We have a bunch of blems in 196 carbon now. If you're interested in some 196 carbons for cheap with topsheets a little out of line lengthways and sideways, we got 'em. Construction is superb, they get a full warranty, the issue is strictly cosmetic. After sussin out and fixing all the little things like the tip metal on the last 200 pair of Lhasas, we got the ski perfect - only to have our topsheets arrive all fucked up. The Lhasa topsheets require a perfect alignment due to the detail in the artwork. We get superb pieces from our suppliers for years on end, and then, once we feel as though their performance is flawless, they jump up and hose us out of the blue because some machine on their end went haywire.

How much for the 196 Carbon Blems?

I need to look at them again. They're really not that bad, but I can't ship them as perfect. It was mostly an end-to-end alignment issue. I need to balance the flexes with the graphics and see what I have, then I'll post some pics of the pairs.

Pat, there's really no way that I can afford them, but ya gotta post the price so I can dream about 'em...
    ...Or maybe don't post the price... than I can pretend I have a chance

i think i'd be interested as well, hmm, should we send pms if interested or just wait for a new thread?

My 183s need a big brother without a top speed.

I have ten days on my 183 softs now. They are the most versatile ski I've ever used. I skied a few days of East coast ice, and a week in the Dolomites in mostly shitty, wind blown snow with pockets powder mixed with wind crust in the trees. I've also done a couple thousand meters of skinning (Barons, Scarpa Tornados). I'm 5'10" 175. Among mortals I'm an aggressive skier who relies as much on strength as technique. Compared to many of the prominent members of this board, however, I'm a chump who barely holds his shit together.

My reaction on my first run was "holy shit! These things want to go straight." I quickly learned that the 183s reward aggression with stability. You can throw them around in any type of snow and be confident that they will quickly provide a solid platform. I was a bit nervous about returning to a ski with so little sidecut. I was wrong. You might say I've seen the light. The benefits of a straighter ski (lack of hookiness, stability during loooong turns, and especially the ease of holding and edge on steep, hard snow, whether traversing on skins, or doing quick turns) far outweigh the fact that a big sidecut lets you ski like a lazy bastard. The 183s will make any radius turn once you adjust your technique. Their sweet spot is huge. I could ski off my heels, the center, or the balls of my feet (does that make sense) whereas many skis only behave themselves when you use a more specific technique. I also found the 183s surprisingly competent in bumps on account of their low weight, and softish shovel.

In Italy I rarely had more than a few turns in powder before running into breakable or unbreakable crust. I skied off piste almost exclusively in trees, most low angled, on account of considerable avy danger. Some tip rocker would have been nice, given the conditions, but the 183s were highly competent. I never felt I was being bounced around, which is exactly how expected to feel. Later in the week I was in the Dolomites, when skiing with a friend with local knowledge we skied some short 40-45 degree, wind-protected lines with ok snow. The 183s were simply brilliant. They are light for their girth, stiff underfoot but forgiving of mistakes, and have just the right amount of pop in the tail for skiing steeps.

I was able to find the 183's top speed without too much difficulty, but I didn't buy them for going retardedly fast. Perhaps I need some 196s for that.

Wow, ISBD, that's a nice review of the 183s. Even at 6-1, 210 lbs, I love the 183 for what it is and skied it a lot last year, even though I thought it was too short for me. It just has a great feel.

As for the blems...give me some time to get the pics and start a new thread and we'll go from there

Wow, waiting to hear on the 196s, Would be a nice compliment to my 192s!

Wow, ISBD, that's a nice review of the 183s. Even at 6-1, 210 lbs, I love the 183 for what it is and skied it a lot last year, even though I thought it was too short for me. It just has a great feel.

As for the blems...give me some time to get the pics and start a new thread and we'll go from there
    sounds good... now i need to decide if 196 is too much ski for me.