Page 14 of 141 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    They're weightlifting shoes, fatty.

You should try them, might be able to put more than 135 on the bar.
    I did do a PR deadlift yesterday of 435, which I guess isn't that impressive considering I weigh 80 lbs more than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    dRider, which affiliates you looking at?
    Probably either Cross Fit Verve in the Highlands, or Flex Gym in Lakewood. Maybe even Cross Fit Golden.
    Thoughts?

If you can deal with the commute, hit Front Range Crossfit in Denver. They're the real deal and have some really solid trainers. The only other affiliates I have experience with are Flat Irons Crossfit and Boulder Crossfit. I'm pretty happy with Flat Irons right now but it's also 5 minutes from my apartment. Boulder Crossfit just doesn't have the trainers with a deep background of coaching and training. We recently had a USAW International coach and another Senior Coach join Flat Irons, which has been sick. Whatever affiliate you join, make sure they have a decent Olympic lifting coach and spend plenty of time focusing just on the lifts, it'll really help with the WODs. You can't put a price on good Oly coaching.

Most affiliates give one free week of classes without any obligation. Hit all the affiliates you're thinking about and find the one that you like the most.

Today's WOD
    8 Tabata intervals each of:
    Deadlift 225#
    Jerk 75#
    30 second rest between intervals

Reps:38/43

Damn I love the snatch. Sometimes it comes so hard and sometimes it comes so easy. Sometimes you are glad just to get any.

I also just discovered the joys of recording myself gettin' some. I have already found glaring McLovin technique deficiencies and I've only brought the camera twice. Here is one from today:

After doing a 4 sessions in a row last week, i woke up Saturday and sneezed, boom back was done. I have not done shit since. Anyone who knows my history, 2 back surgies (the last one last december) this was scary.
    Anyway, hope to get back in there next week once it settles down. Sucks to feel so good after training all summer to miss 3 weeks.

Bummer. Hope the healing goes well...don't take NSAIDs if you can help it.

Five rounds for time:
    20 high pulls, 20 kg
    20 box jumps, 20 in
    20 knees to elbows

24ish minutes and I ripped the shit out of my hand at k2e at number 15 on the last round and called it.

Finally picked up some rings, pulled a couple MUs but they are really tough right now because I just have them hanging from my pullup bar and they are really low. Got some eye hooks to go in the carport ceiling that will move them up about 2 ft and it will be much better.

Tuesday: Annie with tuck jumps sub'ed for DUs, 11ish minutes. Also did a bunch of ring dips before.

Wednesday:

5 Rounds for time

400m run
    20 slalom jumps over my camping cooler (~18inches high and 15 inches wide)
    20 thrusters w/ 25lb DBs

23ish minutes. My shoulders were really feeling the rings dips and after two rounds I had to reduce the thrusters to 10 reps.

Fri, Sat, Sun: Re-roofing my house, psyched.

I've been sidelined the last week and a half with a sprained ankle. Sucks! Hopefully back into the routine next week. It's preseason time for snow.
    Ελευθερία ή θάνατος
    "Great moments are born from great opportunity."

“Badger”

Three rounds for time:
    30 squat clean, 95 lb (42.5 kg)
    30 pull-ups (chest to bar at cf missoula)
    Run 800 meters

truly heinous. 37:14

This one that Twight from Gym Jones dreamed up looks like a hoot. . . .

Original 300 Workout by Mark Twight

The original 300 workout, designed for the actors of the movie 300, is definitely a challenge. Here’s how it goes:

a) Pullups - 25 reps
    b) Deadlifts with 135lbs - 50 reps
    c) Pushups - 50 reps
    d) 24-inch Box jumps - 50 reps
    e) Floor wipers - 50 reps
    f) 1-arm Clean & Press with 36lbs Kettlebell - 50 reps
    g) Pullups - 25 reps
    "Buy the Fucking Plane Tickets!"
    -- Jack Tackle

Sooo happy I bought rings, damn these things are fun. Got my first back kip to support on friday, I knew I was close but didn't think I would get it this fast. I remember trying these back in high school and never coming close.

Not this clean, but pretty close

I know my input isn't really useful in here right now, but let me just tell you how excited DTM was when he did that Kip on the rings...I was there when he did it his first time and I was like, why are you so happy? He then told me he's been working on it for a while, it's a big deal!

He's also going to design some versions of cross fit for me after baby arrives in January. I can't wait to get on the cross fit wagon
    you sketchy character, you

Guess who met Mr. Pukey this morning?

That's right. It's been a while since his ugly face (and as a result mine too) came around. After 2-3 fat weeks off, I did a bout with Tabatha Something Else to set a benchmark for next 2 months. Total was down 13% from 7 weeks ago. It's safe to say I fell of the wagon and have some work to do.
    Ελευθερία ή θάνατος

dan, nice work on the muscle up progression. Do lots of false grip pullups going chest to rings and plenty of deep ass ring dips and you'll be able to do deadhang muscle ups before too long.

“Linda” (sort of)

10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 reps of:
    150% bodyweight deadlift
    75% bodyweight clean
    50% bodyweight shoulder press

The original “Linda” (a.k.a. three bars of death) contains a 100% bodyweight bench press instead of the 50% bodyweight shoulder press.

120kg/264lb deadlift
    60kg clean/132lb clean
    2x40lb dumbbell shoulder press

31:24 of pure hate.

I did Karen on Tuesday night, just for fun in 6:37. I definitely should have pushed harder, I think I could go sub 6. I had to break it up in to 50,50,25,25. My legs are still sore today....
    It's not tragic to die doing what you love.
    http://www.flickr.com/pearljam09/
    http://pearljam09.blogspot.com/

Cool weather makes metcon's soooo much more enjoyable. Did the Dirty Dozen last night in 25 minutes and was barely sweating at then end. Such a welcome change from absolutely pouring sweat throughout most workouts. Had to make some subs (tuck jumps for DU's, superman's for back extensions, two 25lb DBs for the KB swings, 25lb DBs for the cleans, thrusters w/ 25lb DBs for the wall balls and towel pullups), but pretty close to RX'ed. After 13 towel pullups I couldn't physically hold myself onto the towel anymore and had to call it. Also, the KB swings right after the ring dips and K2Es were rough, I had to partition the 30 swings 10-5-5-5-5.

Did a fun workout I found on the forum on wednesday, "The 1500 Rep Workout"

10 rounds of:

100 SUs
    10 burpees
    10 pullups
    10 situps
    10 pushups
    10 squats

Took about 40 minutes but I hadn't done a real metcon in over 2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Did a fun workout I found on the forum on wednesday, "The 1500 Rep Workout"

10 rounds of:

100 SUs
    10 burpees
    10 pullups
    10 situps
    10 pushups
    10 squats

Took about 40 minutes but I hadn't done a real metcon in over 2 weeks.
    SUs? Can't be situps since there listed again. Looks fun.
    Ελευθερία ή θάνατος

When I was training for nationals in high school for rings, my strength work outs were insane. I'm still a pretty big gym rat on the off seasons and climb quite a bit, but I can't even come close to completing a full post practice gymnastic work out anymore. Once you get a kip or back up rise do dips, leg raises, and half crosses until you can't, then drop down and do pull ups. Also keep working on muscle ups (just a pull up into a support position) and your core will be money. Also just doing shoulder stands above the rings will get your core strong as shit.

As for my preseason work outs I dislocated my should this summer so it's a shit ton of shoulder stuff on top of everything everyone has already said. Medicine balls are pretty money too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Sooo happy I bought rings, damn these things are fun. Got my first back kip to support on friday, I knew I was close but didn't think I would get it this fast. I remember trying these back in high school and never coming close.

Not this clean, but pretty close
    "Figure if I study high, take the test high, I'll get high scores..." -Redman

I'm on week 3 of the CFWF (CrossFit Wichita falls) program which is a novice linear progression strength with 2 short power-heavy metcons per week. Loving it so far as I found my strength falling off just doing mainsite. I plan to do this for 12 weeks or so with the goals/(previous PR) of a 365/(335) squat, 405/(340) dead, 180(/170) press, 225/(185) power clean, 255/(215x5) bench while maintaining metcon. then probably switch to Performance Menu weightlifting (see if I can teach myself to snatch with a book LOL).

One legged squat pistols were fun this morning.
    Ελευθερία ή θάνατος

Quote Originally Posted by BestofShow View Post
    SUs? Can't be situps since there listed again. Looks fun.
    Single unders.

I did a bunch of CF bodyweight and medicine ball stuff this summer and it realy helped me get in shape for surfing. Seems like something I can follow, so I got some rings, bar and light bumpers last week and am following mainsite as best I can. I don't drive so can't get to an affiliate.

So far I've done cleans, deadlifts, thrusters, and some ringwork. The oly lifts are fun -- I haven't done them in like 15 years. Sticking with lighter weight, higher reps until I get some form.

I really like how accessable and quick the workouts are. You don't need a ton of stuff, but what's even better is I can workout in the same amount of time it would take someone to drive to the gym and back. Though often I walk around in a daze for 20 minutes trying to recover .

J-

Quote Originally Posted by BestofShow View Post
    One legged squat pistols were fun this morning.
    Holy hell, I had never done these before. I scaled to a 25lb DB and still had to partition by 5s in the first set and 3s in the second two sets. These should show up in workouts more often. 24:40

Nice acquisitions Jay, I wish I had room for a bar and bumpers. I'm thinking about making a bunch of sandbags.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 10-09-2009 at 08:38 AM.

I've been on and off with these. Been slacking a bit lately as I work on my swimming. However, did a 5K on Tuesday morning in 19:19 (Today's WOD)
    It's not tragic to die doing what you love.
    http://www.flickr.com/pearljam09/
    http://pearljam09.blogspot.com/

Glutes are wicked sore today.