i do this and add a press
    Name:  power-clean.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  11.0 KB

Name:  b7LUIzMt927xSy8mRZWlZw_m.png
Views: 375
Size:  18.1 KB

i dont get why a lot of people squat - i guess that the Olympic style clean

i havent tried more than 135 as that is most i can press right now.... best is about 6 maybe 7 one time on the 1st set -- its a killer and nobody does it

the bar from the floor up to the ceiling
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    i do this and add a press
    Name:  power-clean.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  11.0 KB

Name:  b7LUIzMt927xSy8mRZWlZw_m.png
Views: 375
Size:  18.1 KB

i dont get why a lot of people squat - i guess that the Olympic style clean

i havent tried more than 135 as that is most i can press right now.... best is about 6 maybe 7 one time on the 1st set -- its a killer and nobody does it

the bar from the floor up to the ceiling
    Clean and press or clean and jerk - might be called that. Also, the squat is added to increase the ability to lift. Legs are strong. Learn the squat clean it will help your lifting skills. Learn the jerk as well.

Get some lifting coaching. You probably have guys who specialize in strength and know (and like) those lifts. Good form is really important. You can do a strength feature before the WOD a few, maybe times per week. Mix it up. You will find that your leg work will complement your upper body. We bench once every two weeks or so. Then we do dead lifts, front squats and back squats with a variety of sets and reps. I get a lot from lifting. Be careful not to over train with lifting.

Are you using bumper plates?

In other news, after 2 years and 1 1/2 months I randomly got my first bar muscle up today! And then I did another one.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    It most certainly is a thing. Your body has a training "budget" and overspending has consequences.
    Yeah you are right everyone is different. I have been rolling this way for many years now and it works for me.

Goal is 225 clean, deadlift 5 plates, 300 bench press by the end of summer.
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Quote Originally Posted by stalefish3169 View Post
    In other news, after 2 years and 1 1/2 months I randomly got my first bar muscle up today! And then I did another one.
    Nice

Quote Originally Posted by rather ripped View Post
    Nice
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
    Yeah you are right everyone is different. I have been rolling this way for many years now and it works for me.

Goal is 225 clean, deadlift 5 plates, 300 bench press by the end of summer.
    That is a pretty weird clean to deadlift ratio. Anybody that can deadlift 495# should be able to clean a lot more than 225# since they are both heavily dependent on the hamstrings. How is your power/squat clean form??

That is a pretty weird clean to deadlift ratio. Anybody that can deadlift 495# should be able to clean a lot more than 225# since they are both heavily dependent on the hamstrings. How is your power/squat clean form??
    Power/squat clean?? My power clean is great but my squat clean is the suck. I mostly lack confidence I have been told. Im scared it will crush me..
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

what do you front squat? But yeah you should clean more. Likely a technique thing. But I don't get the power vs squat clean dofference. Anything after 245 i squat clean just on principle (unless workout mandates PC) just to make the thinking easy. All out squat, not quarter or half
    Decisions Decisions

Getting ready for the Master's Qualifier this weekend. Just coming off a 2 week beast of a cold, so not feeling very ready, but it is what it is. Workouts are announced tomorrow night. Gonna be an ass-kicker of a weekend.

Good luck dude!
    Decisions Decisions

Volume of training could be a factor, as could genetics. Heavy deadlifts are a slow movement and a good clean requires fast power. Lots of cardio and endurance lifting limits power generation and speed.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Volume of training could be a factor, as could genetics. Heavy deadlifts are a slow movement and a good clean requires fast power. Lots of cardio and endurance lifting limits power generation and speed.
    Yeah, certainly genetics and physiology are factors, but I would say that most people I know who can pull 5 plates are cleaning a lot closer to 300 pounds than 200.

Edit: This is not a putdown towards Tuckerman at all...just a curious observation. : )

Agreed. My deadlift PR is 395#. Clean (squat) PR is 225#. That's a pretty standard differential. You've obviously got the strength. Now it sounds like some technique work is in order.

Edit: This is not a putdown towards Tuckerman at all...just a curious observation. : )
    Yeah see now Im going to have to go 3 times a day, thanks.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Tuck stop doing all that fucking cardio!
    Decisions Decisions

Pretty good article on ballistic exercise benefits

http://www.strengthandconditioningre...c-performance/

Quote Originally Posted by jibij View Post
    Agreed. My deadlift PR is 395#. Clean (squat) PR is 225#. That's a pretty standard differential. You've obviously got the strength. Now it sounds like some technique work is in order.
    I think it depends a lot on body type too. I could do 3x 435 fairly easily on the deadlift a few years back when I was lifting some (for 160 lbs so quite good) but I never could clean more than 185. Technique / commitment was probably an issue but I also have a big ass vs. weak shoulders

I'm the opposite. I've clean and jerked 225, but I've never deadlifted more than 350. My deadlift was generally about the same as my squat. Now I don't do any of that shit. My lower back prefers it that way. Romanian split squats and one leg deadlifts- no max effort, ever.

^^ever do skater squats?

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    ^^ever do skater squats?
    Not on purpose. Why should I do them? Any advantage over a pistol?

I was deadlifting close to 600 earlier this year but would have been hard pressed to clean 225. Just didn't spend any time on the technique. Might have been able to muscle it it up but nothing involving a smooth triple extension and catch.

Both have a lot of skill involved. My guess is most folks with a 300lb clean and 500lb deadlift (your standard stronger crossfit dude) could get a 550lb DL with a few weeks of skill work on the DL.

First Murph yesterday. Fun challenging workout. Anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by AnonSequitur View Post
    First Murph yesterday. Fun challenging workout. Anyone else?
    Did it about six years ago. I was going good until the second mile. Legs stopped working. Plenty of nausea. That mile took me over 13 minutes.

Did murph randomly in the middle of the winter this year after I hurt my wrist squat cleaning. 41 mins w vest. Coldest night of the year, the runs suuuucked
    Decisions Decisions