Page 85 of 141 FirstFirst ... 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,125 of 3510
    Helen

3 rounds:
    400m run
    21 kb swings
    12 pullups
    9:07

Knocked a little time off. A little surprising since I'm not in the greatest shape right now. Learning butterfly pullups would make a big difference. Some of the guys were sub 8 minutes.

Post WOD:
    50 wall balls
    100 sit ups

RIP - JJ

squat clean 185#: 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1
    Parallette handstand push-ups: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10

25 minutes

prewod: bike commute home
    postwod: yeah right...oh I did one feet to bar.

RIP Tyler

5 rounds for time

21 sumo dead lift with high pull @ 95#
    7 muscle ups

16 minutes

Friday = in the skin track and some yo yos

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G using TGR Forums

Dealing with a possible separated shoulder. Can't get in to see the ortho until next Thursday. So bummed. Resting, biking, and/or scaling WODS to remove any shoulder work.

I went to watch one day of the Canada West Regional on the weekend to cheer on our gym mates. They all really stepped up their games for this event. It's amazing what competition brings out in people. If you haven't looked, the regional workouts are brutal. There's no way I could do a 225 hang power clean, a 100 lb DB snatch, and it would take a small miracle for me to snatch 155 on the last day of competition.

I do find the direction crossfit competition is going to be disappointing in that they are putting a lot of big weights into the metcons instead of having events with max lifts. It used to be very inclusive and even the hero WODS seemed attainable to me. I will never be able to do a lot of the Regional and Games Workouts. It's a big (wo)man's game now.

I did a scaled down version of one of the regional workouts yesterday (Rx in brackets)

50 back squat 115# (135)
    30 pullups (40)
    30 shoulder to overhead 115 (135)

50 front squat 75 (95)
    30 pullups (40)
    30 s2oh 75

50 overhead squat 55 (65)
    30 pullups (40)
    30 s2oh 55 (65)

34:10
    The time limit in the competition was 25 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by hafilax View Post
    I will never be able to do a lot of the Regional and Games Workouts. It's a big (wo)man's game now.
    Or a full-time Crossfitter's game. By next year it'll be impossible to compete at the top levels unless Crossfit is your occupation.

With all due respect, the sport of fitness is gheyer than glee.
    As a snowboarder... i fucking hate snowboarders in general. -advres

It's a big (wo)man's game now.
    It's crazy to compare pics of women from the '08 or '09 games with last year. Back then most of them just had smoking bods and the ones that looked like dudes were the exception, now it seems mostly the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by DeeAre View Post
    With all due respect, the sport of fitness is gheyer than glee.
    Regularly learn and play new sports...nah, fuck it, let's turn this into its own sport and do that exclusively.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 05-01-2012 at 02:58 PM.

I'm just curious, but why does it seem like bench press lifts are rarely if ever part of Crossfit workouts or competitions? (I could be wrong in this perception.) It may not be the world's greatest lift, but it's a classic and a pretty reasonable indicator of upper body strength.

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    I'm just curious, but why does it seem like bench press lifts are rarely if ever part of Crossfit workouts or competitions? (I could be wrong in this perception.) It may not be the world's greatest lift, but it's a classic and a pretty reasonable indicator of upper body strength.
    It's in a couple of benchmark WODs. One, IIRC, is 5 rounds max sets of bench at body weight and pullups; score is total reps. I believe the football total has bench which was in the BC sectionals 3 years ago.

Bench press correlates with a lot of other movements such as pushups, dips, and any press over head which are much easier to incorporate into metcons. There's a stigma against it because crossfit used to be anti-body builder but many realize that it is a good training lift for some more common crossfit movements.

Hang Clean + Push Press is also a great upper body indicator.

I do like the Bench Press though. It often shows up 1 to 2 times a week in Rob's MilitaryAthlete workouts. which are awesome.

I always wondered about bench press in CrossFit, too. I've never lifted before starting CF last summer, so I hadn't bench pressed until about two weeks ago when my gym started to incorporate it. It's funny, I can clean and jerk and push press north of 200 without too much of a problem, I can do way more man-makers than I ever thought humanly possible, and I'm in the best shape of my life... but I can't f'ing bench even close to my weight. I guess it doesn't matter for a while at least, since my wrists are shot. Overuse/tendonitis I'm told, so it's gonna be a couple weeks before I get back to it. I've been out almost two weeks now and I'm going stir crazy. At least bike season is here and that doesn't seem to be bothering them too much...

Interesting. To be clear, I'm certainly not criticizing CF methodology or anything. I just like bench press because (a) moving big weight is always fun, (b) it feels like a very pure movement to me, (c) I feel like pushing heavier weights on bench is safer than other exercises (could be wrong), and (d) it doesn't affect my bc skiing or mountain biking as much. Dips, overhead presses, etc. are all good exercises, but seem like unsatisfying substitutes for bench. Of course, I don't disagree that there are other measures of upper body strength--e.g., overhead press, row exercises, and pull-ups. I just like bench because one can go heavier than the others.

One other comment. Often times I'm unfamiliar with the exercises referenced in this thread, so I look them up on youtube. I don't think there is a single youtube weight-lifting video where there aren't at least half-a-dozen moronic comments about form, the commentor's own accomplishments, etc.

I think it also has to do with a Bench Press setup not being part of the equipment a typical affiliate purchases. Multiple dedicated bench press setups would take up a lot of real estate compared to how frequently they would be used.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    It's crazy to compare pics of women from the '08 or '09 games with last year. Back then most of them just had smoking bods and the ones that looked like dudes were the exception, now it seems mostly the opposite.
    so true.

I don't bench press unless it is apart of the WOD or SWOD, which doesn't seem to be very often. I don't really care either way.

the CF journal has some good articles on crossfit training, Oly lifting, etc, and benching. IIRC, one the article talked about how oly lifters a while back thought that benching would reduce mobility/ROM needed for the oly lifts. Im not sure if that had some influences on how much or little CF benches.

I figured that CF didn't utilize the bench press as much due to the lift not being a as functional movement, [however a useful measure of raw strength], and the shoulder press being a more functional movement transfers into other lifts/natural movements, and that the shoulder press utilizes signifincatly more muscles.

"The Chief"

Max rounds in 3 minutes of:
    135 pound Power cleans, 3 reps
    6 Push-ups
    9 Squats

Rest 1 minute. Repeat for a total of 5 cycles.

did 4 each cycle...rather tired and hard to get motivated to move faster...goal was to get 4 in per cycle and, well Im pretty lazy today.

If done properly, hang clean and push press are primarily driven by your hips and legs. But my shoulders always seem fatigued after cleaning...

Regarding the changes to the games, i think it was only natural to go up in weights. If Crossfit games really want to present themselves as a platform for great athletes, you and I shouldn't be able to complete the workout.

Do people really make enough money competing to do it as a career? Does Crossfit test for PEDs at the games? I would hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    If done properly, hang clean and push press are primarily driven by your hips and legs. But my shoulders always seem fatigued after cleaning...

Regarding the changes to the games, i think it was only natural to go up in weights. If Crossfit games really want to present themselves as a platform for great athletes, you and I shouldn't be able to complete the workout.

Do people really make enough money competing to do it as a career? Does Crossfit test for PEDs at the games? I would hope so.
    I can do most of the events that are in the Olympics, just not very well. I'm sure more people will be interested in Crossfit competition with the big weights, it just doesn't appeal to me all that much. Then again, Spealler is an absolute phenom being able to hang with the big boys at 5'5", 153#. I was sure he wouldn't make it through Regionals this year but he pulled it off. What a competitor!

There is money in Crossfit now with big sponsorships from Reebok and Rogue Fitness. Reebok put up $1M in prize money last year with the top man and top woman each getting $250,000.

They test for PEDs from the Regional level on and there have been a few people caught and banned from competition.

Did the Chief Saturday with 16-1/3 rounds. Got shut down by the pushups, as usual, although the cleans weren't far behind. Nice day of spring skiing yesterday to round out the weekend.

Wod: “Cindy”
    Buy in: 100 Double Under, then:
    20 minute amrap
    5 Pull Ups
    10 Push Ups
    15 Squats
    Prewod:
    400m Run
    For time.
    Postwod:
    5-10 row + stretch

Also, my gym's team just took first at regionals. Fuckin' monsters.
    All I know is that I don't know nothin'... and that's fine.

Then again, Spealler is an absolute phenom being able to hang with the big boys at 5'5", 153#. I was sure he wouldn't make it through Regionals this year but he pulled it off. What a competitor!
    I spent most of the weekend in Castle Rock watching the SW Regionals. That last Men's event was one of the most amazing things I've ever witnessed. Spealler is nothing short of amazing. Pure heart and talent.

Then again, Spealler is an absolute phenom being able to hang with the big boys at 5'5", 153#
    Sounds like he's put on a good 15 lbs in the last couple years, not too surprising. There was a video a couple years ago of him snatch balancing 240 lbs at a BW of 140 lbs. Unreal P:W ratio.

Team workout fun day!
    As a team of 2 complete 3 rounds for time of:
    30 box jumps 20″ (alternate reps)
    30 power snatch 95/65 (divide reps however)
    10 partner pistols (hold hand and balance each other, do pistol at same time. If you can’t figure it out do 40air squats alternating reps)
    Row 500m (switch whenever)
    CHALLENGE: find 3RM front squat and practice partner pistols

We finished at 23:10 at RX splitting the reps 50/50. Probably the first RX WOD I've done to date. 3 rep max front squats were at 175 lbs. Stoked.

Quote Originally Posted by Nic.A View Post
    "The Chief"

Max rounds in 3 minutes of:
    135 pound Power cleans, 3 reps
    6 Push-ups
    9 Squats

Rest 1 minute. Repeat for a total of 5 cycles.

did 4 each cycle...rather tired and hard to get motivated to move faster...goal was to get 4 in per cycle and, well Im pretty lazy today.
    I did this one today. I suck. A 135lb power clean is heavy for me. Time ran out in the middle of my 3rd round each time.

I decided to go ride Flying Dog and Bob's Basin today instead of going to Crossfit. Yesterday I look a rest day because I was too sore to do either. I'm having trouble finding the line between pushing myself too hard and wussing out. Basically I got into Crossfit to make me stronger on the bike. The general fitness part is cool, but honestly I'm trying to get into good Enduro racing shape for next year. I'm finding that if I do Crossfit on consecutive days, then I'm typically too sore to ride, so I'm doing Crossfit Monday, Wednesday, and Friday with big (4 hourish) rides on the days in between, and resting on Sunday.

30 x 135 power clean and jerk

12 minutes or something. So bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.