Page 139 of 141 FirstFirst ... 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 LastLast
Results 3,451 to 3,475 of 3510
    4th or 5th time I've done it, 44 mins with a vest and a killer hangover.

35:54 with no vest. I did it with a vest last year but can't remember what my time was. I just remember the vest was really shitty and the weight bounced against my chest when I ran.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Not on purpose. Why should I do them? Any advantage over a pistol?
    Mainly that skater squats require similar multi-planar strength and stability but are a more natural movement pattern than Pistols or sldls. Im not saying omit the Pistols though, I think Pistols/ one leg squats are one of the best acl injury prevention exercises that exist.

Crossfit Workout Thread

I actually think pistols are long term dangerous- you need to do them perfectly and have very good hip flexibility to do this (ankle flexibility helps do it but I think hip is more key to avoiding injury). Keeping from leaning forward too much in a pistol is quite tough and what can get someone sidelined due to pressure on the tendons.

Aside from that...single leg DL are a top 10 overall movement. In terms of balance, flexibility, strength, it really hits all 3 like few others.
    Decisions Decisions

Old, but solid interview with Glenn Pendlay. Been biasing my programing with concentric lifts (while still squatting and benching) where I can and have put on a quick 5lbs for a guy who can't gain weight and PR'ed my DL, C&J, BS, and Snatch all within the last month. No real change in diet.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/too-much-muscle

Wait did he put Jon North and "no drugs" in the same answer?

T nation is legit, loosely followed it to improve shoulder stability
    Decisions Decisions

Any personal experience with crossfit and first-time marathon training?

Earlier this month, I decided to do a trail marathon in early November with lots of climbing. It'll be my first marathon, I don't really run, and I just started training earlier this month. I confess that it's dumb, but I'm committed to it. I've done crossfit 3-4 times a week for the past two years. (I'm also active on non-crossfit days as well.) I realize that I'm going to lose some crossfit ability as a run more, which I'm fine with. But I'd prefer not to give crossfit up completely and would like to still do it 3 times a week if possible. I'm currently running about 22-25 miles a week, which will slowly increase to 40-50 miles a week as November approaches. In the month leading to the marathon, I'll might drop crossfit sessions to 2 times a week.

Here's my question: Should I be doing anything differently in my crossfit workouts as my marathon training increases in intensity? Maybe try crossfit endurance WODs? (Or maybe I should scale back the running from the usual recommended programs?) I don't care if my crossfit workouts help my marathon training; but I'd prefer that they not be detrimental to it. So far, everything is fine on both ends--I feel good and perform well in my WODs and the running is okay. It's like ski season when I usually backcountry ski 3 times week and crossfit the other days. But I'm a little concerned that there may be problems down the road as my weekly mileage increases. I'm in pretty damn good shape, but I also just turned 40, so there's that.

A few friends really scaled back their cf leading up to a first marathon. One stopped like 3 months before te Boston marathon.

I'd focus on things other than endurance- you're following a marathon script right? Maybe short anaerobic thjngs, gymnastics, mobility, pullups, shoulders etc.
    Decisions Decisions

Listen to your body. If you are feeling run down, chronically fatigued, keep getting nagging injuries, or sick, take some rest days and dial back the crossfit intensity. If you are doing marathon training distance runs don't add the crossfit endurance on top of that. Keep crossfit short and intense and get your endurance with the runs.

Are you doing crossfit to stay in shape or are you training to be good at CrossFit?

Do you go to a cf gym and do whatever strength/wod is programmed or do you do it on your own? Basically, how much control do you have over your own training? You will defiantly want to alter your CF programming as your mileage increases, you don't necessarily need to take a big cutback in intensity but don't expect to just combine an independent CF program with an independent running program. They need to work together to balance out recovery. It is often better to include your high intensity running with your higher intensity CF days, rather than let either get in the way of a recovery day.

In general I would lower your running intensity, but not necessarily volume. Lots of zone 2 running, with maybe two higher intesity days that coincide with your higher intensity lower body CF days. You may need to increase the time between your lower body days as well. If you squat heavy on monday, don't deadlift until thursday or friday.

An example of pairings for someone looking to stay moderatly competitive at CF would be:
    Monday: Strength: Snatch/Overhead, Conditioning: Upper Body Focused Metcon
    Tuesday: Strength: Clean and Squat, Conditioning: Interval work (800-3200m)
    Wednesday: Strength: Rest, Conditioning: 20-30min WOD + 30-60 min Tempo Run
    Thursday: Strength: Push Press + CG Bench Press + Accessory, Work on Gymnastic work. Conditioning: REST
    Friday: Strength: Hang Clean, Deadlift, Split Squat Conditioning: <15min Lower body wod, ~30min Tempo Run
    Saturday: LSR: 60-180min
    Sunday: shorter Recovery Run (zone 2) or complete rest

You'll note that the lower body recovery and upper body recovery happen on different days. The lower body recovery is focused right before more intense lower body days. You will want to bump up your calorie consumption significantly while on this style of programming, especially carbs on the lower body days. The biggest shock to most people would be the reduction in metcon style workouts. Your running will account for most of your conditioning. So long as you maintain a good grasp on skills (Olympic lifting, gymnastic work) and basic strength, WOD specific work capacity will come back quickly due to excellent cardio health.

You will be fatigued on your runs. You will likely be amazed at how slow you run to stay in target HR zones. The lower heart rate training (particularly the zone 2 LSR, is critical). When your race shows up, take a week off CF before, and you will be able to sustain a higher intensity run.

My credibility: I'm 5'10" 200lb, can squat well over twice my body weight and run a ~40min 10k.

Thanks, X and others.

I crossfit both to stay in shape and because I enjoy it for itself. I've got flexibility at my gym so that I can do my own thing if I want.

I've got a strong endurance base from backcountry skiing--e.g., I do a fair number of long, big-vertical days throughout the year as well as weekly 45-minute skimo-style session before work. So, when running, so far I don't feel like endurance cardio is an issue at all. My focus has been more just getting the body used to the running itself. I've found trail running much easier on the body than running on asphalt. I've stepped up my carb consumption already.

I'm currently doing 6 days a week, 3 standard WOD days (whatever is programmed that day) and 4 run days (3 mile, 6 mile, 3 mile, 12 mile) with one day where I do both and a day of rest after my long-run day. Every fourth week I have a lighter running week--maybe cut back 30%. I also climb and hike but not intensely. I like your sample plan generally, although it's hard to combine crossfit and run days more than once a week.

So far, I've found that I actually like shorter runs after a leg day WOD--it seems to loosen things up. But I've been wary about going hard on the legs immediately before or after the long-run day.

If the course has lots of vert, make sure your training runs have lots of vert too. Downhill running is all eccentric loading and will murder you if you're not prepared for it.

Unrelated, it's looking like I'm never going to front squat again until I get my clavicle plate removed. No matter how perfect my bar placement is it still touches the plate and hurts like hell. Being stabbed with a red hot icepick level pain. Kinda sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Unrelated, it's looking like I'm never going to front squat again until I get my clavicle plate removed. No matter how perfect my bar placement is it still touches the plate and hurts like hell. Being stabbed with a red hot icepick level pain. Kinda sucks.
    Get a SSB. It won't truly mimic the front squat but will move the loading forward of where the high bar squat places it. It really is one of the few 'abnormal' pieces of equipment every strength gym should have.

AKbruin,
    most of my running is low intensity. I don't train like a competitive CC runner. Your low intensity aerobic zone runs will do more for your threshold pace than your threshold and max zone runs will do for your aerobic base. It sounds like you already have a decent aerobic base though. Do you use a HR monitor for your runs and backcountry trips? Ideally, I like to get folks where they are running 10 min miles over rolling hills at a ~140 bpm before introducing high intensity work.

Intervals and longer tempo runs (40min range) will still help move the blood around your legs. Just make sure you spend 10-15min down at 120-140bpm right after these runs, and after all your gym time too. This cool down is really important when dealing with a packed training schedule.

I also don't do my tempo runs right after the lifting session. The day will generally go along the lines of: 5am wake up and warm up (yoga style with some foam rolling) with coffee, breakfast at 6:00, get to the gym by 7:30 or 8:00 for strength work. Go to work, do my tempo work after getting home. eat dinner after run. This seperates my run and strength work so I can refuel and get a bit of rest in, but still let me get to the gym fully awake and warmed up ( I don't understand how people do strength work within 1:30-2hr of waking up)

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    If the course has lots of vert, make sure your training runs have lots of vert too. Downhill running is all eccentric loading and will murder you if you're not prepared for it.
    Yeah. I live in Tahoe, so it's pretty hard to avoid the vert. The marathon is in Ashland, where I've raced MTB previously (RIP Ashland Super D ) but never run. The race has 7,200' of elevation change:

Good luck with the clavicle.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    AKbruin,
    most of my running is low intensity. I don't train like a competitive CC runner. Your low intensity aerobic zone runs will do more for your threshold pace than your threshold and max zone runs will do for your aerobic base. It sounds like you already have a decent aerobic base though. Do you use a HR monitor for your runs and backcountry trips? Ideally, I like to get folks where they are running 10 min miles over rolling hills at a ~140 bpm before introducing high intensity work.

Intervals and longer tempo runs (40min range) will still help move the blood around your legs. Just make sure you spend 10-15min down at 120-140bpm right after these runs, and after all your gym time too. This cool down is really important when dealing with a packed training schedule.

I also don't do my tempo runs right after the lifting session. The day will generally go along the lines of: 5am wake up and warm up (yoga style with some foam rolling) with coffee, breakfast at 6:00, get to the gym by 7:30 or 8:00 for strength work. Go to work, do my tempo work after getting home. eat dinner after run. This seperates my run and strength work so I can refuel and get a bit of rest in, but still let me get to the gym fully awake and warmed up ( I don't understand how people do strength work within 1:30-2hr of waking up)
    I've considered picking up a HR monitor for BC skiing, but, in reality, I'd probably be too lazy to attach one to my chest and futz around with it.

I'm curious about the cool down. What exactly do you recommend? I'm pretty crap about warming up or cooling down. Usually, I don't have a warm up or cool down. I just start and stop. I'm trying to stretch more, but I'm pretty crap about that too. Not good, I know.

This would be an interesting read if you have a few extra bucks available. http://strongswiftdurable.com/shop/50-mile-ultra-plan/
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

I hate the chest strap too. I got a refurbished Garmin 225 off amazon for $150; no chest strap involved.

If you have the cash, and want to go fancy, I have heard the Garmin Fenix 3 makes the apple watch look like a stone tablet. It has altimeter, gps, heart rate, compass, and all sorts of programming for syncing with your phone and making/tracking complicated training plans. Sunto also has a watch with a HR monitor/gps/altimeter/compass. Both tend to be $500, but are cool toys.

For cool down I just hop on the airdyne at the gym or do a slow jog after a run.

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    This would be an interesting read if you have a few extra bucks available. http://strongswiftdurable.com/shop/50-mile-ultra-plan/
    Rob's plans are legit. If you want to stick to CrossFit style I've heard good things about CrossFit Endurance programming for first timers running marathons or Tri's.

Quote Originally Posted by stalefish3169 View Post
    That is a pretty weird clean to deadlift ratio. Anybody that can deadlift 495# should be able to clean a lot more than 225# since they are both heavily dependent on the hamstrings. How is your power/squat clean form??
    You might be on to something, my C&J is already at 230.
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

I'm obviously a big fan of MA, and of TGR...so even though Rob asked for us to not share his secret bench press tips, i figure you guys deserve it-

Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Rob attempting humor is humorous

did a 2k row last night after not being on the rower for a couple months.
    7:41. what are other peoples times on this.
    a little disappointing, first 500m was a 1:40 then i obviously just maintained that with the next 3 500's at 2:00.

Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    did a 2k row last night after not being on the rower for a couple months.
    7:41. what are other peoples times on this.
    a little disappointing, first 500m was a 1:40 then i obviously just maintained that with the next 3 500's at 2:00.
    I've done 7:25 before. More an exercise in pacing than anything else. I just see how slow (strokes/min) I can row and still maintain a 1:50 pace. First 3rd feel like I am going too slow. Second 3rd I feel pretty good. Final 3rd is just survival.

I did like 5 pushups today. Right now that's a victory, sadly.

sick of people lifting directly in front of dumbell rack! get the fuck out the way you fuck!

also the guy that grabs 5lbs heavier weights than me and does deltoid front raises right next to me as i do them /// except he only goes halfway up

i go to the ceiling cause thats how Arnold does it

fucking bitchezzzzzzzzz
    Last edited by digitaldeath; 10-13-2016 at 01:37 PM.
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

so do people wipe shit down at crossfit or is it just like every other gym full of people in nice spandex and no etiquette?