Page 89 of 141 FirstFirst ... 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 ... LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,225 of 3510
    Quote Originally Posted by Dickeymotto View Post
    That being said, my gym is still run by badasses who took first at the SW Regional (team category) and set a world record in the second event It's funny though, while all the other teams had WOD times and stats under their bio on the Crossfit Games website, theirs simply said "We have fun". Pretty cool bunch.
    Tom H! Fuck yeah go Utes!
    As a snowboarder... i fucking hate snowboarders in general. -advres

Quote Originally Posted by jibij View Post
    I don't understand all the kipping pull-up hate. I don't think anyone's ever suggested that a kipping pullup is the same as a strict pullup. It's just a variation of a movement that converts a strength exercise into more of a metcon exercise.
    I wasn't implying it was the same. I hate on it because of the position people are in, at the end of a rep and the start of the "kip", when exerting the most force.

*No thank you I will continue to beat this dead horse* With any exercise I try to look at the benefits and risks. You say the benefit is that you get an upper body strength workout with increased work/time. The risk is that you tear your labrum, rotator cuff, etc. an injury that will require surgery, PT and takes about a year to fully recover. In addition, I have yet to see any evidence or hear any well thought out arguments, which show an athlete needs to do kipping pullups (as opposed to alternatives) to improve at anything, except kipping pullups.

Quote Originally Posted by hafilax View Post
    I see kipping pullups and push press as being pretty similar. You are using your lower body to assist in the bottom of the movement. If you have the shoulder mobility and maintain control at the bottom I think kipping pullups can be done safely.
    Quote Originally Posted by hafilax View Post
    Mobility work and foam rolling essentially damages the tissue and should be limited to areas where this is offset by improved range of motion.
    I disagree with all of this. First, kipping pullups and push press's are almost perfectly opposing movements. I'm sure you are aware of that, but my point is that you cannot assume that the body works the same way when operating in opposite directions. Secondly, a push press doesn't exert your body weight + momentum on your shoulder when flexion exceeds 180 degrees. The most important point, a push press applies the force from your lower body through the shoulder when it is in a position of strength rather than a position of weakness.

On foam rolling, yes, it changes and breaks down tissue (very very slightly). But to say that it damages tissue is a perversion. Exercise damages tissue too. Unless you are doing it VERY wrong (causing bruising), foam rolling is "damaging" scar tissue and places where the myofascial tissue has adhered to the muscle. Mainly what it is doing is stimulating your GTO's which cause muscles to relax. Stretching is a little more controversial, but stretching to the point of injury or contributing to an injury is highly unlikely. I think your injury concerns are completely misdirected if you think foam rolling and stretching should be avoided but kipping pullups, touch and go box jumps and olympic lifts for time are acceptable.

I'm not all that well read on sports science so I may just know enough to be dangerous. Most of what I have read has been in the context of climbing.

The famous static stretching before exercise study, I believe was on RCMP trainees. The study showed increased injury rates for the group that did static stretching prior to exercise. To me, this indicates that breaking up tissue can weaken it. I won't work out on the same day that I have a massage. I believe that breaking up fascia and scar tissue should be followed by rest. My caveat was for cases where you need the extra ROM. This can be quite common so for some, foam rolling could be a good idea, I don't know. I have good flexibility and there are only a few motions that I have to stretch out before I can do them safely. Anything that benefits from stretch-reflex should not be stretched out. I don't stretch out my posterior chain and calves before sprinting, rowing, or deadlifting. A lot of yoga enthusiasts get injured and have problems from hyper-mobility.

There was a study on increasing vertical jump that had one group doing squats, one doing plyometric jumps, and a third that did a combination of both. The last group showed significant gains over the other two. Plyometrics, such as touch and go box jumps, are a powerful tool in low volume (<40 at the high end). I don't do touch and go in high volume. Skipping and especially double unders are another plyometric albeit with much lower loading. Boxers do them in extremely high volume.

Kipping pullups have some application in climbing and especially bouldering. If you have to do a long move with no feet kipping is far more efficient. If for some reason I had to muscle up onto a ledge, I'd be damned if I was going to do it strict. Gymnasts kip all the time which is how I would guess it made it to crossfit. IMO, if you maintain control of the descent the injury potential can be mitigated. The danger comes from relaxing at the bottom and slamming down hard. Kipping is also a plyometric finger exercise. This is taken to an extreme by climbers. Look up some campus board climbing training videos if you want to see so really dangerous workouts that have high rewards for climbers. Dead hangs are another finger training exercise in climbing and you have to be careful to maintain tension in the shoulders.

I strongly agree that kipping pullups, touch and go box jumps, and Oly lifts for time are high risk movements. However, I believe that they have their place, especially in low volume. I've quit quite a few workouts now, prior to where I thought I might get injured. I'm also much more inclined to scale down the weight these days.

Just to clarify, I love plyos, just don't like the backwards jump motion of the touch and go.

Separate note, im starting a 6 week period of dropping the weight I use for snatches and cleans and doing suicides, slideboards or medball work for conditioning, eliminating sled pushes and bike sprints. I already do a fair amount of explosive exercises, but I'm hoping that dropping weight on Olympic lifts and going for speed rather than caring about the amount of weight I'm moving will improve my speed / explosiveness. Anyone done this with success?
    Last edited by neufox47; 05-25-2012 at 12:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    I'm hoping that dropping weight on Olympic lifts and going for speed rather than caring about the amount of weight I'm moving will improve my speed / explosiveness. Anyone done this with success?
    Yes. It worked. I did it for 4 weeks, and mixed it in with short intense work capacity efforts to push testosterone production up. Results in Climbing, Sprinting, and Fighting were quite noticeable.

Thursday stair workout
    Carry 24 kg kettle bell to the top of 150 stairs
    20 swings
    3 rounds:
    Leave kb and go down then back up 2 stairs at a time
    20 swings
    Carry the kb back down

Today
    With a 6 minute clock
    Run 800 m
    Amap 165# hang clean
    Rest 2 min
    6 min clock
    Run 800 m
    Amap 95# thrusters
    Rest 2 min
    6 min clock
    Run 800 m
    Amap handstand pushup

I had a total of 55 reps. I actually did really well on the thrusters (31) which had been a weakness in the past. That's a really heavy hang clean for me. I can't imagine doing 225.

3 back squat on the minute for 12 minutes

30 muscle ups for time
    14:30

First time doing that many muscle ups. Probably could have done it a little faster with less rest in between reps. Wasn't close to failing any.

Yesterday was the toughest WOD I've done yet. It completely crushed me:

STRENGTH:

4 X 3 SQUAT CLEANS

CONDITIONING:

4 ROUNDS:

30 FRONT SQUATS 115/75
    50 DOUBLE UNDERS
    30 KETTLE BELL SNATCHES 53/35

40:32.

I had to drop from the 53#KB to a 35# after the first round. Plus, my lower back kept tightening up, so I stopped a few times to roll it out. 5 minutes after the WOD it was fine again.

I did get a PR on my squat clean during the strength session at 185#.

Last night was a fun one, in a painful, grueling kind of way.

With a partner:
    1000 m run cash in
    50 power clean @135, 50 push press @135
    40/40, 30/30, 20/20, 10/10
    1000 m run cash out

First time really lifting again in a while. Felt really good to be back under the weights.

Running backward is WAY harder than it sounds.
    All I want is to be hardcore.

www.tonystreks.com

I feel like my balls re-emerged from my stomach today.
    Back squats: 15-12-9 @ 225
    No knee pain, no baker's cyst fluid.... (yet... knock on wood).
    Front squats are so much more mentally taxing than back squats (for me). Back squats felt easy and I'm really stoked right now.
    As a snowboarder... i fucking hate snowboarders in general. -advres

I attended the Level 1 cert. this past weekend in Golden, CO with Matt and Cherie Chan, Chris Spealler, and Zach Forrest as instructors. Amazing weekend.

How do you know when you need to scale the weight? Some wods I can do the weight but it will take 45+ mins.
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
    How do you know when you need to scale the weight? Some wods I can do the weight but it will take 45+ mins.
    Scale when you can't do it with correct form.
    Scale when you're impinged or compensating for an injury.
    If it took you 45 mins. to do the WOD because you were having to recover from every lift (even with decent form) then you probably need to scale. You're just inviting an opportunity to injure yourself due to fatigue (mental and physical).

Man, beep tests before the WOD suuuuuuuuuuck!! That, and taking three weeks off has left my hands all soft and sissy-fied, they're getting torn to shreds...

...but I'll be back tomorrow...

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
    You have to look at the time domain of the WOD. If it's supposed to be a sprint with no rests then scale the weight or the reps to achieve that. If the weight is supposed to be heavy with some rest between reps then go a little heavier. Most metcons should be under 20 minutes. Something like Fran should be under 10.

Today's wod was a relatively good one for me.

5x5 overhead squat
    Maxed out at 185# which is great for me and a big PR. For once the limiting factor wasn't my shoulders. I actually had the top weight today and beat some big guys I have no business beating with my massive 160#s.

3x800m runs with 5 min rest between each run
    Got 2:43 on the first which was also a PR and the fastest first run. It all fell apart after that though and I ended up in 3rd on aggregate with a total of 8:45 minus the rest.
    Last edited by hafilax; 06-07-2012 at 09:23 AM. Reason: remembered I actually lifted 185 instead of 175

Four big days in the gym and I'm beat.

Thursday:
    20 minute AMRAP
    5 squat clean thrusters 135#
    6 wall climbs
    7 6' long jumps
    8 pull ups

4 rounds + 4 wall climbs
    Wall climbs are hellacious

Friday chipper
    40 KB swings 32 kg
    40 barbel lunges 45#
    40 pullups
    800m run
    30 KB swings
    30 lunges
    30 pullups
    400m run
    20 KB swings
    20 lunges
    20 pullups
    200m run
    50 wall balls
    50 pushups
    1 mile run
    37:50 I think
    All was good until the wall balls; brutal.

Saturday strength work
    5x5 back squat

5 rounds:
    5 strict press
    AMAP ring rows with feet on 24" box

a few rope climbs

Sunday WOD
    Hope:
    3 rounds with a minute at each exercise, 1 minute rest between rounds
    burpees
    snatch 75#
    box jumps
    thrusters 75#
    chest to bar pullups
    Took it a bit easy with it being the fourth day in a row. I wasn't planning on going in but a friend was going to the gym and I thought it would be nice to give him some company.

I'm finally starting to feel like I'm getting back into gym shape and not struggling like I have been for the last few months.

How come when you're told you can't do something, all you want to do is the forbidden activity? I'm not supposed to do any lateral moves or anything with pounding, until my stupid ankle heals. Hopefully I can turn this frustration into motivation when the time comes.

In the meantime, I figured I should try to get my diet into shape. So I bought a Blendtec blender and started blending lots of veggies and fruit and eating that for breakfast / lunch. If you are looking for a way to get rid of the last stubborn weight or add veggies to your diet, it is pretty effective. I'm now eating roughly 1/2lb each of Kale, spinach, carrots, beets, apples and a 1/4lb each of banana, strawberries, and blueberries per day for breakfast / lunch. I thought it was a bunch of hippy shit, but this raw diet really does make you feel better. Energy levels are substantially improved. Cut my coffee consumption from a 1lb a week to less than 1/2lb the first week I started. Just wasn't tired.

PR this am, 2k row 7:33. Dropped by 14 seconds.

Pretty stoked.

So,
    We have this box that I have been going to since it opened, about 3 years ago. In that time, people have come, done the elements class, and then opened a competing gym about 20-30 miles away. This has happened and each time they have opened in three different locations. For those of you who know the Roaring Fork Valley, the original gym is in El Jebel, and people have opened in Glenwood, Carbondale and Aspen.

Now, there is a guy who thinks that our gym in El Jebel is not doing a good enough job. He has been working at the El Jebel gym for the last 18 months, teaching classes etc. He is opening a gyme, 250 yards away, about two blocks. WTF, I find this unreal. Crossfit has not geographic limits so he can legally do it, but really what a scum bag.
    Any thoughts on this?

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    I'm hoping that dropping weight on Olympic lifts and going for speed rather than caring about the amount of weight I'm moving will improve my speed / explosiveness. Anyone done this with success?
    I've had success here as well recently. Only consideration is form, which gets a little sloppy when completion doesn't depend on it. My recovery after sprints seemed to see the greatest gains.

Haven't done a WOD in weeks, tackled today's 12 min of:

135lb push-press x 12
    chest-to-bar pull-ups x 12
    single-leg squats x 12

4 squats away from finishing five rounds in 12 minutes. Bummed, but gave it all I had.

Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    So,
    Crossfit has not geographic limits so he can legally do it, but really what a scum bag.
    Any thoughts on this?
    We had a similar issue at my box. When the owner moved into a bigger box about a mile away, one of the members set up shop in his old place. Splintered the gym for a little while. There are dicks everywhere.