Page 88 of 141 FirstFirst ... 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 ... LastLast
Results 2,176 to 2,200 of 3510
    I don't understand all the kipping pull-up hate. I don't think anyone's ever suggested that a kipping pullup is the same as a strict pullup. It's just a variation of a movement that converts a strength exercise into more of a metcon exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by jibij View Post
    I don't understand all the kipping pull-up hate. I don't think anyone's ever suggested that a kipping pullup is the same as a strict pullup. It's just a variation of a movement that converts a strength exercise into more of a metcon exercise.
    Injury potential. Mostly SLAP tears, and to a lesser extent rhabdo.

I did 38 unbroken strict pull ups today after doing Nancy. I feel pretty good about that considering my beer drinking, ice cream eating fatness.

I see kipping pullups and push press as being pretty similar. You are using your lower body to assist in the bottom of the movement. If you have the shoulder mobility and maintain control at the bottom I think kipping pullups can be done safely. Something like the Filthy Fifty would have a completely different character if you had 50 strict press at 45# instead of push press.

I can bound box jumps pretty well but I try to do it intelligently. If I have any questions about the condition of my heel chords or the volume is too high, I start from a dead jump. I rarely step off. I think that the loading from jumping off is low enough.

My rule of thumb in warm ups is to only do mobility work on areas that will reach the end of the range of motion in the WOD. High exertion near the end of the ROM commonly leads to injury. Mobility work and foam rolling essentially damages the tissue and should be limited to areas where this is offset by improved range of motion. For hip extension dominant WODs, the hip flexors can almost always be stretched out. I have a tight left shoulder so I will generally do some pass-overs for anything over head. I do most of my mobility work on rest days. That said, I only work out about 3 times per week plus weekend warrioring. This philosophy differs from that of my coach so I skip some of the static stretching he has others do in the warm up.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I did 38 unbroken strict pull ups today after doing Nancy. I feel pretty good about that considering my beer drinking, ice cream eating fatness.
    Holy shit Kev, that's a huge number of strict pullups. Were you doing a lot of pullup work while your knee was recovering?

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Injury potential.
    I suppose, but there's injury potential in virtually every CF movement. If the movement is taught and executed correctly the injury potential is lessened.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    That's pretty fucking burly.
    All I know is that I don't know nothin'... and that's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Holy shit Kev, that's a huge number of strict pullups. Were you doing a lot of pullup work while your knee was recovering?

Yeah, I was doing a lot of weighted pull ups, bench press and shoulder press. That and the stationary bike was all I had. I'm actually surprised that I've been able to maintain as much upper body strength as I have, that usually goes so quick on me. I attribute it partially to doing very little long slow distance lately.

FINALLY! Seems like the tendonitis is gone in my wrists (or whatever the hell was bothering them) A solid weekend on the bike, and then back at the box tonight for 5 rounds of fun with 20 overhead squats @ 100 and 20 deadlifts @ 225, 400 m. run after each round. NO wrist pain!

Went to the gym with friends. They were doing the regional workout with deadlifts, muscleups, etc. We ran out of 45# plates so I did my own thing which was my first go at Grace.

30 clean and jerk 135#
    6:46

I was pretty happy with that time. Figured I could get under 10 minutes but 135 is pretty heavy for me (5'8" 160) and I haven't been doing a whole lot of lifting as of late. I thought I would struggle more than I did.

Anyone catch America Ninja Warrior on NBS with Johnny Mosley? Surprised here were not x fit guys in it. Seems ideal.
    Lots of Park Core (sp?) guys.

Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    Anyone catch America Ninja Warrior on NBS with Johnny Mosley? Surprised here were not x fit guys in it. Seems ideal.
    Lots of Park Core (sp?) guys.
    Caught it, those guys were strong. The Parkour footage was sweet.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

might be worth reading for those looking to get in better shape for ski season.
    http://mountainathlete.com/page.php?page_ID=45

I did my first On Ramp class last night, doing another this afternoon, and my first WOD tonight. I'm way out of shape, so I need some ass kicking to get me going.
    All I want is to be hardcore.

www.tonystreks.com

5 minutes 1 on and 1 off of shuttle runs

15 minutes, 2 per minute 95# Curtis P
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

Quote Originally Posted by hitek79 View Post
    I did my first On Ramp class last night, doing another this afternoon, and my first WOD tonight. I'm way out of shape, so I need some ass kicking to get me going.
    I am now a month into it, I enjoy it the on ramp was nothing like the actual classes at my facility though.
    Good luck.

Been getting acquainted with the prowler... reverse drags (anchored on waist belt) and straight ahead pushes. Long-term ability to shredd pow is a top priority for me, and I think the prowler might be my salvation. That, and moving the fuck outta Colorado.
    As a snowboarder... i fucking hate snowboarders in general. -advres

Quote Originally Posted by PDManseau View Post
    I am now a month into it, I enjoy it the on ramp was nothing like the actual classes at my facility though.
    Good luck.
    Yeah, it's mainly learning proper techniques. Not even sore after yesterday. I'm expecting to be in pain tomorrow though.

www.tonystreks.com

For those of you starting Crossfit,

go into it slowly, especially if you are an older chap. A lot of the exercises put lots of stresses on the body, and just being 'level 1 certified,' does not mean your coaches will know enough to see an injury before it happens. It is possible to really hurt yourself, even when doing many of the exercises correctly, if your body is not used to the strains.
    Last edited by XavierD; 05-24-2012 at 02:01 PM. Reason: emphisis

True, you need to monitor yourself. Start out slow and be in it for the long haul.

I am probably starting back soon. It'll be a slow start.

What they said. For me at least, I had never really lifted before, so a lot of the techniques were brand new. Even so, my competitiveness made me want to get fast times right from day one, and I found myself sacrificing technique for time. Don't get caught in that trap! Like ripped said, be in it for the long haul and your times will get there WITH quality technique. Besides, being injured just plain fucking sucks...

Don't forget your rest days, either. I fell into that trap early on. I never wanted to miss a workout. Rest days are as important as the working days.

I did the pack version of which in 3/4 body weight and it sucked. But it sucks even worse today two days later.

For time:
    Row 500 meters
    Body weight Bench press, 30 reps
    Row 1000 meters
    Body weight Bench press, 20 reps
    Row 2000 meters
    Body weight Bench press, 10 reps
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

First class was good. I've read all the negative stuff about Crossfit and injuries, so that was in the back of my mind going in. I had a friend that went a local affiliate near his house and the owner gave him a 20 minute overview of all the lifts. He never really felt comfortable there, and only stayed a few weeks.

I'm going to Trailhead Crossfit in Golden, and the owner and coaches seem to be really thorough. I spent two classes practicing the lifts, and did my first WOD after. They're constantly walking around correcting form. For me this is about getting into shape for mountain biking and snowboarding more than crushing a time or competing with the other members there.

www.tonystreks.com

Quote Originally Posted by hitek79 View Post
    First class was good. I've read all the negative stuff about Crossfit and injuries, so that was in the back of my mind going in. I had a friend that went a local affiliate near his house and the owner gave him a 20 minute overview of all the lifts. He never really felt comfortable there, and only stayed a few weeks.

I'm going to Trailhead Crossfit in Golden, and the owner and coaches seem to be really thorough. I spent two classes practicing the lifts, and did my first WOD after. They're constantly walking around correcting form. For me this is about getting into shape for mountain biking and snowboarding more than crushing a time or competing with the other members there.
    I went through this same thing. After reading and listening to some pretty harsh criticism of Crossfit, I took a good logical look at my gym (Ute Crossfit in Sugarhouse and Draper) and decided that these guys kick ass. On Ramp was a 3 day a week for two weeks course in technique and before pretty much every WOD we review proper form before hand as a group. The trainers are great about scaling and people's different anatomical and physiological needs. I'm pretty stoked on them.

And yeah, I feel the same way you do. I have no intention of competing in Crossfit, just want to build strength, power, stamina, and coordination for biking and skiing. That being said, my gym is still run by badasses who took first at the SW Regional (team category) and set a world record in the second event It's funny though, while all the other teams had WOD times and stats under their bio on the Crossfit Games website, theirs simply said "We have fun". Pretty cool bunch.

Have I advertised for them enough yet?

Today's WOD:
    50-40-30-20-10 Ball Slams 30/20lb
    in between each round of ball slams do 1 Round of Cindy (5 pull-up, 10 pushup, 15 air squat)
    *that’s 5 rounds of ball slams and 4 rounds of cindy total
    CHALLENGE: 2 Rounds of 1:00 FLR + 8 turkish get-ups

Did the ball slams at RX, and I've graduated from a black band to a green band on the pull ups (and even that is getting pretty easy). Time was 16:16 and finished strong.
    All I know is that I don't know nothin'... and that's fine.