Page 3 of 141 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Unless it says take a break...fucking rage, brah.
    Why couldn't you finish? Stand there with your hands on your knees and pant like a sissy until you can go on. Pretty typical in a Crossfit gym, really...
    Haha I did that for 15/20' just so I would feel ok to DRIVE! Near complete black out.
    It's getting better now but I still need to get into a real rythm and make it a habit. Oh well.. There is still tomorrow

meh. i like the workouts, craziness, enthusiasm. that movie looks like a reality show with a workout focus (probably not a bad idea, but i'm not going to watch it).
    Craig Kelly is my co-pilot.

Buy Your Lift Tickets in Advance and Save

Crossfit is of the devil..
    Whips your ass into shape though.
    I fell off the bandwagon a few months ago. Jsut getting back on.
    When I Started Crossfit I was 220lbs.
    When I stopped I was 206.
    When I hopped on the scale last nigt I had only gained 2 lbs which I was suprised at.

Anyhow.
    Todays workout
    Split Jerks 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1.
    Everyones a Big Dawg.
    heheh...
    Wondering what weight I should start with. I am thinking 180 or so...
    -James

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    It doesn't behave well until it's going mach retarded.

I'd like to get into crossfit type workouts and think they'd really change my fitness, but despite my decent general fitness (run 30minutes 2-3x/week, swim 1hour/week, bike a bunch, great all day slow endurance, regularly do push ups and sit ups) I am a super weight lifting Jong and can't do a pull up without 100 pounds of assistance. I am pretty sure I'd be laughed out of a CF gym or paralyze myself trying. Not to characterize CF as some sort of elitists, I just have no idea how to get myself to a decent starting point for engaging in that kind of training.
    another Handsome Boy graduate

There are multiple Crossfit affiliates in PDX and I guarantee you will not get laughed out of the gym. The vast majority of people I have seen start at the affiliate I attend cannot do pullups when they start. EVERYTHING is scaled.

Also, there are probably some good trainers at the PDX affiliates who can teach you the right way to move weight around. I too, was a complete weightlifting JONG until I started in September. You will learn all the basic and olympic lifts at a scaled level appropriate for whatever your strength and technical abilities allow.

If you don't want to go to an affiliate, go to crossfit.com -> starting -> brandx scaled workouts. They have scaled workouts for EVERY ability. Seriously though, if you are interested, just go. I bet at least the first workout is free and I bet you will find plenty of non-super athletes getting the best workout of their lives.

Did you do it, PP?

Today, as many rounds as possible in twenty minutes:
    10 pull-ups
    20 push-ups
    30 walking lunges

7 rounds. The pushups were the hard part.

Also knocked out 4 muscle ups (PR) without letting go of the rings, probably would have got more but my hand slipped off on the 5th attempt.

Did you do it, PP?
    I did not. Still can't fathom Crossfit with how little weight I can put up. I have been trying to work in tabatas in my home work outs - I'm ok at them when running or cycling, but I tried to do squat thrusters with (go ahead and laugh) 5 pound hand weights and burnt out at the 5th round - it was my quads that failed me, but still, that shit is embarrassing. My plan is to work on my core and get more comfortable with weights at home, then maybe give CF a try later in the year. I know that no matter the condition I walk into CF with I will be severely humbled, but I'd like to have a little dignity.
    another Handsome Boy graduate

Dude, go to a crossfit affiliate. DO IT. DO IT. Seriously, I had never ever ever lifted weights before I started.

And tabata thrusters...omfg. Ouch.

Back on Crossfit after a month away, I am wrecked!
    "Buy the Fucking Plane Tickets!"
    -- Jack Tackle

For Platinum Pete:

If she can do, you can!

{fired up dick waving} I clean and jerked 85 kilos today, a PR by 10k. That's 187lbs at a bodyweight of 174 {fired up dick waving}

I have been looking into this. Give me your thoughts on the impact this has on back. It looks like there is tons of plyos and hang clean/jerks.

Would my back get hammered? Two disk surgeries at two levels, dont know if i could handle that.

At the box I go to, there are all sorts of people with different chronic issues. A good trainer will help you work around your injuries and help you strengthen what needs to be strengthened without hurting yourself. You very well may never be able to catch a heavy clean, or back squat heavy, or deadlift heavy, or whatever. But if you are going for overall fitness, you can definitely do a lot worse. And you will probably find that even if you can't back squat, you can still front squat, and for sure you can do tabata air squats. And doing pullups every day will certainly help with overall back strength.

Also, most affiliates do not follow the main page WODs (crossfit.com). Some coaches are more into gymnastics, some are more into the oly lifts (our trainer pretty much does oly lifting for his own workouts), etc. I would check to see if there is a local affiliate and go check them out. Usually the first workout/assessment is free (the whole first week is free at our gym).

But anecdotally, I had chronic lower back issues and a neck problem and they have all generally disappeared, though I did have a minor neck flareup from beatering headfirst while skiing a few weeks ago.

Thanks for the helpful info, appreciate it^^^^^

Holy fuck, the video on the mainpage today fired me the fuck up. It pretty much encompasses all that is good and right about CrossFit and I'm not exactly a sentimental dude, and I'm a semi-pacifist dirtbag hippie and all that shit: http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...eEvolution.mov

Goddamn, good shit.

Today:
    Complete as many rounds as you can in 15 minutes:
    Row 10 calories
    10 Burpees
    10 Pull-ups

5 rounds + 8 calories on the rower. Fuck you up. Got the blood taste in my mouth, definitely considered puking.

OK, todays is 7 deadlifts... what are you doing for warmup, etc?
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Well, we don't follow the mainpage WOD.

But the classic crossfit warmup is:

"3 rounds of 10-15 reps of
    Samson Stretch (do the Samson Stretch once each round for 15-30 seconds)
    Overhead Squat with broomstick
    Sit-up
    Back-extension
    Pull-up
    Dip
    Note that for a workout that's dip or pullup-centric, you might want to do something else in the warmup. "

And then, the Burgener (olympic lifting coach) warmup: http://journal.crossfit.com/2007/01/...mike-burge.tpl

What I usually do is something like this, for two rounds
    10 pullups
    10 ring dips
    10 GHD situps
    10 overhead squats
    And then I get an empty barbell and start working on snatch/clean and jerk movements. High hang snatch, muscle snatch, cleans, etc. I'll often throw in a set of muscle ups, too.

Our WOD today:
    "Elizabeth"

21-15-9 reps for time:
    Cleans, 135 lbs
    Ring dips

12:36

Well, we don't follow the mainpage WOD.

But the classic crossfit warmup is:

"3 rounds of 10-15 reps of
    Samson Stretch (do the Samson Stretch once each round for 15-30 seconds)
    Overhead Squat with broomstick
    Sit-up
    Back-extension
    Pull-up
    Dip
    Note that for a workout that's dip or pullup-centric, you might want to do something else in the warmup. "

And then, the Burgener (olympic lifting coach) warmup: http://journal.crossfit.com/2007/01/...mike-burge.tpl
    Cool, exactly what I was looking for, never understood what else to do on days when the workout was like that... other days I would try to scale 'cause I couldn't get through the whole thing... then I thought there was something wrong with myself (ok, put that one up on a tee for you guys).
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Right on. Those 7 deadlifts should all be MAX effort though. You should need a few minutes between each one...at least if your form is good enough to go big.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Cool, exactly what I was looking for, never understood what else to do on days when the workout was like that... other days I would try to scale 'cause I couldn't get through the whole thing... then I thought there was something wrong with myself (ok, put that one up on a tee for you guys).
    Where are you training in the valley? I am going over to a cross fit gym tonight in el jebel. Is that were you go?

Root, looks like your making some serious progress. I've been getting my ass handed to me for the past month. I would never recommend taking a year off of training.

Yesterday's MP WOD was a killer

45 double unders
    45 Squat cleans (135)
    45 Ring Dips
    45 Double unders.

In our 2 WOD crossfit games training regimen on Saturday

42-30-18
    Double unders
    2 Pood KB Swings (72lbs)

then

5 rounds for time
    5 315# deadlifts
    10 135# Push Press
    15 40in Box Jumps
    20 Situps

ouchie
    Support a 6,000 mile bike tour for early literacy!

http://www.ride4ror.com

Yep, definitely making progress, especially on technique for things like cleans and muscle ups. It's just like skiing...the better you get, the more fun it is. But I'm also new enough to lifting heavy shit that I set PRs pretty much every max effort workout. Back squats last week, deadlifts yesterday. In fact, I pulled more for a set of 5 yesterday than my previous 1RM max. I was pretty stoked about that.

Those two workouts in the same day?
    Last edited by RootSkier; 02-12-2009 at 06:20 PM.

i've been crossfitting for about a month - as previously indicated, it is a sweet workout regimen. sweet as in asskicking, and fun, and can make you feel like puking, and is the most effective form of working out and increasing fitness i've experienced.

i have been using a virtual whiteboard built around crossfit to log my workouts - figured i'd contribute something you may find useful:
    http://beyondthewhiteboard.com/

That's a pretty cool site. I like it, now I don't have to freak out everytime i can't find my journal.

Root, those two workouts we separated by 25 minutes. My fiance is trying to qualify for the Crossfit Games, which means I am also going to the regional qualifiers Albany (I can't just go and not participate), I look forward to getting crushed. But once every other week we tee up two heavy WODs to mirror what we will have to do in may. (our gym has a bucket with 77 workouts in it, we draw at random)
    Support a 6,000 mile bike tour for early literacy!

http://www.ride4ror.com

Cool, good luck to her (edit, and you). I think three people from our box are going to the Rocky Mountain qualifiers in CO. I might give it a go next year. Sounds like the games this year are going to pretty interesting.

You go to Crossfit Boston? I am always reading Jon's articles on againfaster.com, he is a damn good writer and seems like a pretty funny dude.
    Last edited by RootSkier; 02-12-2009 at 10:20 PM.